Now for something completely different

19 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I liked this description of Clamato Juice. It tastes like a bottle of tomato juice that someone accidentally left open in a fridge full of fish.

This is obviously a description from someone who doesn't like Clamato. it tastes like tomato juice which has had spices and fresh clam nectar added to it. It is very popular in Canada and a vital ingredient in what is one of the most popular cocktails in the country...the Caesar, vodka, Clamato, splash of Lee & Perrins and a drop or 2 of tabasco mixed over ice in a seasoned salt rimmed glass.

I also came across this Mexican drink with beer as its main ingredient. Not sure I want to try that one. What a waste of beer.

pp

The michelada, one of the most popular drinks in Mexico, is a beer-based cocktail made with lime, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and often tomato (or Clamato) juice, all served over ice in a glass with a salted rim.

Probably the only way to make the Mexican beer drinkable. Of course we have a "Red eye" half tomato half beer and a "Clam Eye" half Clamato half beer. I prefer my beer strait and don't drink Mexican beer. And who puts ice in beer?

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is obviously a description from someone who doesn't like Clamato. it tastes like tomato juice which has had spices and fresh clam nectar added to it. It is very popular in Canada and a vital ingredient in what is one of the most popular cocktails in the country...the Caesar, vodka, Clamato, splash of Lee & Perrins and a drop or 2 of tabasco mixed over ice in a seasoned salt rimmed glass.

I like a drop of Worcestershire Sauce or Lancashire Relish, or even Tabasco in my tomato juice. Lancashire Relish, is just a little thicker and sweeter and tastier than Worcestershire.878935821_lancashirerelish.jpg.7bf4333beffb9262f8f88b35670f26eb.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I would suggest late February / early March if starting in NZ. The weather is usually at it's most settled then. By the time you get to Australia it will be starting to cool off in Victoria and NSW.

@Blackduck59 mid Feb onwards is best time for NZ, the warmest, most settled weather and kids back to school.

Just now, phoenixx said:

@Blackduck59 mid Feb onwards is best time for NZ, the warmest, most settled weather and kids back to school.

Thanks for the recommendation I wish Celebrity knew that. Our existing booking is the end of January 2021,  and of course there isn't a direct replacement a year later. The best replacement cruise option is a 14 night in mid January 2022. We are looking in to that possibility it really depends on price.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I forgot the celery stalk garnish. That is traditional but there are many varieties of garnish from pickled beans or asparagus to even a slider burger on a skewer. One local place has a nice Prawn for the garnish.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Probably the only way to make the Mexican beer drinkable. Of course we have a "Red eye" half tomato half beer and a "Clam Eye" half Clamato half beer. I prefer my beer strait and don't drink Mexican beer. And who puts ice in beer?

In the Philippines we regularly put ice in our beer. You get used to the taste and with the amount of beer consumed the ice helped with hydration as well as keeping the beer cool.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

In the Philippines we regularly put ice in our beer. You get used to the taste and with the amount of beer consumed the ice helped with hydration as well as keeping the beer cool.

Not unknown for Aussies to drop a few ice cubes in their glass of the amber fluid. In the summer i put my red wine in the fridge and put a couple of ice cubes in my chilled white wine if I am outdoors out of the a/c.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I forgot the celery stalk garnish. That is traditional but there are many varieties of garnish from pickled beans or asparagus to even a slider burger on a skewer. One local place has a nice Prawn for the garnish.

Crikey Lyle, a Clamato is more like a meal in a glass.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Crikey Lyle, a Clamato is more like a meal in a glass.

I'm not sure how all the garnishes happened they just sort of morphed out of control. The traditional Caesar Cocktail garnish is the celery stalk, maybe to distinguish it from a bloody Mary. I'm guessing that prepping fresh celery was a drag so they started with pickled beans, they compliment the drink. My favourite is the pickled asparagus but you hardly ever get that.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Uncle Les, in your Darlo days did you ever run across a bloke by the name of John Wedmore, he was on the job.

I most certainly did, I may be a dinosaur but my memory is good.  John Le Q Wedmore, a big man, with a big heart, he was on traffic when I was there, 67-70.  I did a stint on traffic there, we walked the beat, did point duty as few traffic lights, did accidents and anything else going.  That is not 1967 to 1970,  NOT 1867 to 1870. !! I am not that old !!   Did you know the man?  If he is still on the planet, he would be in his late 70's, maybe touching 80.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I most certainly did, I may be a dinosaur but my memory is good.  John Le Q Wedmore, a big man, with a big heart, he was on traffic when I was there, 67-70.  I did a stint on traffic there, we walked the beat, did point duty as few traffic lights, did accidents and anything else going.  That is not 1967 to 1970,  NOT 1867 to 1870. !! I am not that old !!   Did you know the man?  If he is still on the planet, he would be in his late 70's, maybe touching 80.

Quick history, he left the job, moved down the coast, separated from wife for a while, came to work as my office manager in Sydney working for a Danish construction company, came to the Philippines as my office manager when we closed down in Aus, stayed for a while then patched things up with wife, moved further down the coast, wife died of cancer, remarried a local lady. I haven't seen him for about 29years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Quick history, he left the job, moved down the coast, separated from wife for a while, came to work as my office manager in Sydney working for a Danish construction company, came to the Philippines as my office manager when we closed down in Aus, stayed for a while then patched things up with wife, moved further down the coast, wife died of cancer, remarried a local lady. I haven't seen him for about 29years.

Wow, a life of adventure, by crikey he might be down my way, when you said he was further down the coast.  Keep a lookout.  Thanks for the intelligence report, over and out.

20 hours ago, Russell21 said:

In Vietnam, they routinely serve beer unrefrigerated and pour over a mug-shaped/sized block of ice. I don't like that for two reasons 1. I don't trust the water the ice came from 2. I don't like water in my beer.

My hosts there will ask me in the morning what I would like for dinner. The need to call ahead and get some beer put in the fridge for me 🙂

5 minutes ago, mr walker said:

In Vietnam, they routinely serve beer unrefrigerated and pour over a mug-shaped/sized block of ice. I don't like that for two reasons 1. I don't trust the water the ice came from 2. I don't like water in my beer.

My hosts there will ask me in the morning what I would like for dinner. The need to call ahead and get some beer put in the fridge for me 🙂

Sounds a bit bizarre tipping the warm beer over a block of ice.  You are right, some dodgy water in Vietnam.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

In the great white north when confronted with warm beer and a block of ice we would drop the ices in a bucket of salty water and add the bottles or cans to the bucket it would be cold in no time.

Way to go, smart man, you like Molsons? or is it Molsens?  Here is some ice for you to chill your beer, one of my son's charters.1402122378_chimuship.jpg.9f7285ef1aa40a650f82bc561809c57a.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

Way to go, smart man, you like Molsons? or is it Molsens? 

It's Molson and actually that is one of 3 beers that I won't drink. When confronted with the choice of Molson Canadian, Kokanee, Lucky Lager or nothing, I would choose nothing every time. Back in the day I drank Labatt blue or John Labatt classic. Now my house beer is Sleeman's Honey Brown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I've seen that in Singapore too. 

Further to the boot or bonnet thought from the pie thread, I can't think of many UK cars with mid engines. Some Lotuses, I couple very rare Jaguars, I think there is 1 Aston Martin (the recent suer car they did with Adrian Newey) So what do we call that engine cover?

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've seen that in Singapore too. 

Even with Tiger Beer? I have always seen it chilled in the 375ml stubby bottles in hotels, restaurants and 711 stores. in Singapore.

Edited by NSWP