Now for something completely different

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

One thing that does not seem to have changed over the years is the Neenish tart for which I have a weakness. I rarely have them nowadays due to reducing my sugar intake but every now and then I cave in. It's the same with cream horns and cream buns. ☹️

Neenish Tart brings back memories of Pinkertons cake shops, quite a few in Sydney and suburbs when I were a lad. Just faded away like the famous original Sargents pies.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

1957242143_applepie.jpg.43a8b29b118de7363e68d73711d8e781.jpg Apple pies and Apple Turnovers with cream were my weakness, still are if I can find the gf version.

Woolies do a great one, puff pastry and the apple is covered with a thick layer of fresh whipped cream. If I behave myself during Friday's weekly shopping I'm allowed to have one.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When you visit Sydney try this one http://www.koidessertbar.com.au

In Melbourne try this one https://www.burchandpurchese.com

I've had cakes from both of these places and they are to die for. They aren't your average pastry shops, they are in a class of their own. Unfortunately they are expensive so not every day treats.

A couple of other Melbourne suggestions

Brunetti in Flinders Lane, right in the main city area https://www.brunetti.com.au

Acland St, St Kilda has a range of traditional cake shops. 

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

One thing that does not seem to have changed over the years is the Neenish tart for which I have a weakness. I rarely have them nowadays due to reducing my sugar intake but every now and then I cave in. It's the same with cream horns and cream buns. ☹️

Funny I had one just yesterday, always a favourite of mine, but like you I try to limit my intake. Never a fan of cream horns nor buns, but an eclair, or a apple turnover, yummy.

I've had cakes from both of these places and they are to die for. They aren't your average pastry shops, they are in a class of their own. Unfortunately they are expensive so not every day treats.

I have never tried anything from Burch and Purchese, but they certainly look interesting. I like to visit the cake shops in Ackland Street, St Kilda. Beautiful European style cakes and pastries.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Has anyone run across a German "Bee Sting" cake when I danced with the Edelweiss club we had a German baker that made this cake with sort of a crispy honey topping.

Yes, absoultely fantastic. One of my former colleagues used to bring one in occasionally for morning tea. Haven't seen one for a while.

Leigh

Koidessertbar is owned by Reynold who is on Masterchef at the moment. I must check it out -as each cake/pastry looks like a piece of art.

BTW has your September Sapphire Princess circumnavigation cruise been cancelled yet??? I notice that the Princess website is still selling the cruise.

I have also noticed that the Guru on line agency is not allowing you to book on line any cruises before the 1st December- does this tell us something 🤨

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Has anyone mentioned my favourite?

Lemon Meringue Pie at WomansDay.com- Dessert Recipes

Lemon meringue pie. Irresistible.

It is difficult for me to find a lemon tart I like with our without the meringue. Usually not enough lemons for me, I do like them quite sour. Did see on Masterchef a contestant claimed he made the best lemon tart😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn likes lemon meringue me not so much, Cherry pie or Banana Cream for me.

Not often you find Cherry Pie or Banana cream on the menu down here.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Woolies do a great one, puff pastry and the apple is covered with a thick layer of fresh whipped cream. If I behave myself during Friday's weekly shopping I'm allowed to have one.

And at the right price too, better value than those trendy, yuppy patisseries.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

A couple of other Melbourne suggestions

Brunetti in Flinders Lane, right in the main city area https://www.brunetti.com.au

Acland St, St Kilda has a range of traditional cake shops. 

Mmmmm, yes, Brunetti are good. 

I forgot about Acland St. It's quite a visual feast walking down there past all the cake shops. 

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have never tried anything from Burch and Purchese, but they certainly look interesting. I like to visit the cake shops in Ackland Street, St Kilda. Beautiful European style cakes and pastries.

Leigh

We picked up one of their chocolate raspberry cakes on our way to visit friends once. It was a real flavour bomb and with unexpected textures in it as well. Seriously good. Something you have to try at least once, perhaps for a special occasion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJG99 said:

Koidessertbar is owned by Reynold who is on Masterchef at the moment. I must check it out -as each cake/pastry looks like a piece of art.

BTW has your September Sapphire Princess circumnavigation cruise been cancelled yet??? I notice that the Princess website is still selling the cruise.

I have also noticed that the Guru on line agency is not allowing you to book on line any cruises before the 1st December- does this tell us something 🤨

He's also got Koi Dessert Kitchen which is not far from us, plus a couple of years ago they had a pop-up stand in a local shopping mall which is where I got to try one of his creations. It was amazing. Unfortunately it was only there for a few weeks so I couldn't try any more. I keep meaning to get something from the Dessert Kitchen. 

No, that cruise hasn't been cancelled yet. I can't see it happening though, even more so now with the Melbourne outbreak.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Has anyone run across a German "Bee Sting" cake when I danced with the Edelweiss club we had a German baker that made this cake with sort of a crispy honey topping.

I had that somewhere in the Barossa Valley many years ago. Very yummy.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is difficult for me to find a lemon tart I like with our without the meringue. Usually not enough lemons for me, I do like them quite sour. Did see on Masterchef a contestant claimed he made the best lemon tart😂

That was Reece. He has a patissierie in Newcastle, I think. Maybe one of the guys that live up that way could check it out. It certainly looked like a nice lemon tart.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And at the right price too, better value than those trendy, yuppy patisseries.

Don't knock the patisseries. Some of them are brilliant although they are a completely different style of cake. The two really fancy ones I mentioned earlier don't make cakes, they make edible works of art with amazing flavours and textures. Definitely not everyday cakes.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Chocolate eclairs are my weakness but they must have real chocolate on top, not chocolate icing.

And  vanilla custard not cream

Edited by GCHAN