Now for something completely different

23 minutes ago, GCHAN said:

And  vanilla custard not cream

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No! No! No! A chocolate eclair is cream only.

I tolerate a bit of custard if I have to but it must have cream

Definitely cream! I rarely see eclairs with custard. Perhaps profiteroles but not eclairs.

Leigh

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That was Reece. He has a patissierie in Newcastle, I think. Maybe one of the guys that live up that way could check it out. It certainly looked like a nice lemon tart.

If you know the name of it I might be able to have a look.

That was Reece. He has a patissierie in Newcastle, I think. Maybe one of the guys that live up that way could check it out. It certainly looked like a nice lemon tart.

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Definitely cream! I rarely see eclairs with custard. Perhaps profiteroles but not eclairs.

Leigh

I've never seen eclairs with custard except at my local cake shop in the last ten or so years. I certainly never saw them in NZ and I used to eat a lot of them back in the days when I could eat anything and not put on weight.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

That was all i had when i was a kid. I don't know where the idea for cream came from but totally spoilt it.

A real good donut with jam and cream was worthwhile.

17 minutes ago, GCHAN said:

The best donuts I've ever had were Italian ricotta donuts filled with jam at one of the King Valley wineries. Freshly cooked and served piping hot. OMG they were sooooo good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GCHAN said:

That was all i had when i was a kid. I don't know where the idea for cream came from but totally spoilt it.

Growing up in country Victoria, chocolate eclairs were only ever filled with cream, as well as cream puffs. I will say, I don't particularly like custard so am pleased that here they tend to be filled with cream.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, boeckli said:

You can do better than that  - learn how to make it from the guy himself:

http://www.koidessertbar.com.au/classes/reecelemontart

Koi is teaching Reece's lemon tart? 

Ah, Koi is making their facilities available for Reece to teach his lemon tart. Unfortunately I haven't got a spare $350, I'm still waiting on my cruise refund.

Actually our local cake shop makes a very nice lemon tart.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The best sachertorte I've ever had was at an Austrian bakery/cafe in Auckland many years ago. The owner had worked at the Hotel Sacher at one stage before moving to NZ. IMHO his sachertorte was actually better than the one I had at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna. 

I can't remember if Princess still does sachertorte. I have a vague recollection of having had it on a cruise but can't remember which one.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The best sachertorte I've ever had was at an Austrian bakery/cafe in Auckland many years ago. The owner had worked at the Hotel Sacher at one stage before moving to NZ. IMHO his sachertorte was actually better than the one I had at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna. 

I can't remember if Princess still does sachertorte. I have a vague recollection of having had it on a cruise but can't remember which one.

Princess have had sachertorte on every cruise I have been on - the last one was Feb to March this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

We chased that out of Melbourne in March

Brought in a plague to get rid of it, we did.

We sure did. Formula 1 is one 'sport' I have no interest in. Husband was a motor sports fan when he was younger but not so much now (thank goodness).

Leigh

30 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We chased that out of Melbourne in March

Brought in a plague to get rid of it, we did.

Ah yes but just like a cockroach it is hard to kill and it will be back. And as a host city Melbourne will endure a few weeks of inconvenience in exchange for  the revenue it brings. I'm guessing Leigh and Docker123 get the heck out of town during race weekend.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ah yes but just like a cockroach it is hard to kill and it will be back. And as a host city Melbourne will endure a few weeks of inconvenience in exchange for  the revenue it brings. I'm guessing Leigh and Docker123 get the heck out of town during race weekend.

It doesn't affect us in any way as we live quite a way from the track (about 30 kms) but my daughter's and son's former work place and now my daughter in law's work place (Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre) has to close down during the race time for a few days because of the noise and the difficulty of getting there. My daughter who was still working there one year had to go in and I caught a tram out to meet her on the Friday before the big race late in the afternoon as we were heading off to the football in the evening. There was still racing going on and the noise was horrendous. 

Leigh