My husband died of Covid-19. I NEED that refund

cinnamon

My husband, John, died of Covid-19 on 2nd April, our 43rd wedding anniversary. 

We were supposed to be celebrating onboard the Quest sailing from Dubai on 28th March. 

I am heartily sick of being palmed off by our agent!  This was to be the most expensive trip we had ever taken. As a result, John emptied out all our ‘ready’ funds to pay the credit card bill in February with the final balance for the cruise on it. As a result, my cash flow after his death is poor, with his accounts frozen still. 

On 13th March when Azamara cancelled the cruise I had been promised a full cash refund, as I booked a Package which is protected under U.K. law. They said it would take 2-4 weeks. I have heard nothing from them since but of course I was unwell too and didn’t pursue it. 

I spoke to a woman at the agents again on Thursday and she was sympathetic. Then after talking to her supervisor she tried to palm me off with a FCC. Can you imagine me wanting to cruise solo just now after 40+ cruises with John?  That’s even if I could afford it. She never phoned back as promised. 

This afternoon I was on hold for 57 minutes when the message changed to ‘You are 5th in the queue’. 2 minutes later at 4.56 pm, the line went dead. 

The huge amount of paperwork and organisation after the death of a spouse is probably very daunting at the best of times. In this current strange world it is totally overwhelming. 

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear of your loss! That is devastating.

Yes you do need that refund! I can offer no ideas. Perhaps someone can give you the email of the top person for the British market.

My deepest sympathy.

• Like 1

Corinne

I was so sad to learn last week that John had died.  And now to read how your refund is being handled at this time makes me so angry.  I am not sure if the issue is the agent or with Azamara but as a loyal cruiser, I would suggest you contact Sandra at LCV ( LCVAmbassador@LeClubVoyage.com) and see what she can do.  This is the sort of thing Richard Twynam would have handled for you beforehand but now its Miami

Thinking of you at this awful time

Ann

• Like 4

Corinne, my heart goes out to you and I am sending all my love and sincere condolences  in these horrendous circumstances. I appeal to anyone at Azamara to realise that there are loyal cruisers out there who are in dire need of their refunds, I hope Bonnie reads this and can somehow get through to the powers that be, that some people are in very tragic circumstances and need some compassion! Take care of yourself and know that although many of us on these boards have never met, we feel we have come to know you a little bit through these boards. I wish you the strength to come through the difficult times ahead, and the knowledge that there are many on here who have you in their thoughts and prayers. Take care!

• Like 2

Corinne, there are no words. Pam has been keeping me updated. My deepest condolences on the loss of John to this terrible virus. The only small light is that you were able to be with John at the end. 

Bonnie, surely this is something that you can help with by passing this issue to senior management ? I know Richard Twynam would have moved Heaven and Earth to help Corinne in her tragic situation. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your situation and your loss. You can really do without this at this time.

I think the offer of FCC was insensitive and really bad customer service.

I really hope that you get this sorted out as soon as possible how awful and a terrible way to treat anyone

Edited by jaxw17
spelling

Very Sad. My thoughts are with you. Unfortunately Azamara is lumped in with Celebrity and RCI and 1 accounting department with the purse strings being held tightly by RCI management is what stops all of us from getting our refunds. I have called their Kansas reps, communicated with officers on the ship, communicated with Sandra at the Loyalty dept. emailed countless times to their customer service and even sent Larry the CEO a three page letter on the importance of loyal customers to the future of Azamara. The only person that seemed to have quick inside info is Sandra. The lack of communication and clear answers adds insult to injury. The harder you push the more frustrated you will become. I wish you the best.

I notified our management in US as well as UK almost 2 hours ago, when I saw Corinne's post on the voyage Roll Call. Per my response on that Roll Call...

Dear Corrine, all of us at Azamara are very sorry about your loss of John. We send you our deepest condolences. 

If it is any consolation, my management is now aware of your situation and I expect you will be hearing from your travel professional soon.

Please take care of yourself and let me, all of us, know how you're doing. You've become like family both aboard, and here on our forum with your helpful posts. 

Bonnie

• Like 9

In think your post makes our refund problems pale into insignificance and puts this whole thing into perspective. I don’t know you personally as it appears some of the people posting on here do, but have read some of your interesting threads from time to time. I  would just like to say that our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you. Now Bonnie has become involved  hopefully  Azamara will at least sort out your refund quickly. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BBMacLaird said:

I notified our management in US as well as UK almost 2 hours ago, when I saw Corinne's post on the voyage Roll Call. Per my response on that Roll Call...

Dear Corrine, all of us at Azamara are very sorry about your loss of John. We send you our deepest condolences. 

If it is any consolation, my management is now aware of your situation and I expect you will be hearing from your travel professional soon.

Please take care of yourself and let me, all of us, know how you're doing. You've become like family both aboard, and here on our forum with your helpful posts. 

Bonnie

Bonnie, thank you for reaching out to Corinne in this very upsetting time, I hope that she will receive her refund ASAP, that is the least Azamara can do.

• Like 2

Mike and I were fortunate enough to be on a Saga cruise to Norway with Corinne and John.  We also met up a few times for coffee and a chat in our local Marks and Spencer coffee shop.  I can only say that John was a kind, funny and a real Gentleman.  We shared several dinners onboard and laughed a great deal.Our local hospital is excellent but could not save him from this dreadful disease.  

Corinne has many friends but of course has to remain at home alone at the moment. Trying to deal with all the required paperwork is difficult at any time but must be a nightmare at the moment.

Richard Twynam would have sorted it immediately I am sure.  I just hope someone at Azamara can step in.  This is so important and many of us will be watching their response.  

Such a terrible world at the moment but there are so many good and kind people. Please do something fast Azamara.  

• Like 10

So very sorry for your loss, Corinne. I can’t even imagine what you are going through. Our condolences to you and your family.

Azamara needs to step up and issue you your refund ASAP, and I’m glad to see that it’s been bumped up to management. When a loyal member of the Azamara family gets such a poor response as you’ve gotten up to now, it’s telling.

You should not have had to resort to a public social media forum, to get an appropriate and timely response in the first place.

Edited by snowglobe

Sincere condolences to you on the heartbreaking loss of your husband.

I expect your refund will be processed soon by Azamara, now, and then will only be held up by the limitations of the credit card company.

That a reservations agent was not able to go off script to listen to what you were saying, is certainly an extra layer of sadness. Soon I hope you will be able to bring out your old picture albums and use your memories as a consolation.

Corinne, we join with those above in expressing our condolences on the loss of your loving husband John.

We also hope that Azamara will respond to your situation and process your refund quickly.

Although it may be inconceivable right now, as time passes you will find many memories of the happy time you spent together during your 43 years of married life, not only in photos, but also in simple objects around your home.

• Like 1

I have heard nothing from Azamara or my agent. 

I’m on hold to the agent listening to Musak...........and have been holding 1 hr  and 25 minutes!  I have so much to do, this is intolerable. The agent promised to call me back one week ago. 

I’m on hold to the agent listening to Musak...........and have been holding 1 hr  and 25 minutes!  I have so much to do, this is intolerable. The agent promised to call me back one week ago. 

Update. 

The agent promises me the full refund has been credited to my bank account but it will take ‘several’ days to arrive. 

I’ll check it daily. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cinnamon said:

Update. 

The agent promises me the full refund has been credited to my bank account but it will take ‘several’ days to arrive. 

I’ll check it daily. 

At least that’s some progress Corinne. Hope it arrives very soon. I’m so sorry you have had to go through all this unnecessary stress at such a sad time. Take care. 

2 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Update. 

I’ll check it daily. 

I really hope that they fulfill their promise, but you should not have had to go through this at this time, you are grieving for your husband, and I am sure there are many things that need sorting. I feel somebody should have owned this for you and dealt with it! 
Take care!

I am very pleased to report that I have had a full refund of the Quest cruise we were meant to take on 28th March. 

I would like to thank Bonnie for passing this up the line and Patrice Willoughby at head office. These interventions allowed my agent to agree the refund and the money arrived in my account today. 

This has taken a huge pressure off my finances and I’ll be able to pay for the very simple funeral, which is all that is allowed. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1