govt quietly shortens cdc 100 day no sail order

seaman11

6 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Well seeing as the one the other day was not 100 days but "up to" 100 days, they really only changed the current drop dead date of the order.   My estimate is they will be sailing by late June to mid July.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

As soon as the virus is eradicated or a vaccine is available, let's go sail.. Until, don't see any ships at sea...order..no order...whatever.   How can it be otherwise.   
'Splain how it can happen.....realistically.....practically.........   

Chances are it will never be eradicated.  Diseases that have not presented themselves in centuries have make reappearances form time to time. As for a vaccine, you do realize that there is no vaccine for Noro, right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seaman11 said:

It seems pretty clear that the administration plans an early return.

"On Thursday morning, just after the notice was posted, a CDC official wrote to staff, “Sorry to do this, but the Office of the Vice President has instructed us to pull the No Sail Order Extension from the website immediately.”  “The industry’s most profitable season is the summer, so a shorter time frame on the no-sail order could help it get back out to sea in time to recoup some of its losses,” said the report. “A hint that the order could be extended would undermine that goal.”

The virus doesn't listen to regulations.  Reality, not when a regulation is lifted, must first be accomplished.  How to sail a virus free ship and insure all port stops that is the case.   And insure all guests that have gotten off at a port are not now infected and everyone now needs another 14 day quarantine.    Nobody wants this to end more than me.  We loooove cruising.  Reality, not wishful thinking is the problem though.  

• Like 3

Here is a tip that has yet to serve me wrong: if a Trumper posts something, NEVER believe it. I suppose eventually I might run into a blind squirrel/stopped clock scenario but I haven't yet. And especially don't believe it when they add nefarious sounding words for emphasis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

The virus doesn't listen to regulations.  Reality, not when a regulation is lifted, must first be accomplished.  How to sail a virus free ship and insure all port stops that is the case.   And insure all guests that have gotten off at a port are not now infected and everyone now needs another 14 day quarantine.    Nobody wants this to end more than me.  We loooove cruising.  Reality, not wishful thinking is the problem though.  

The reality is that the world will be living with covid for years.  The idea behind the national lock down was to "flatten the curve."  No one, including the health officials expected the country to be virus free on May 1st, nor on May 1, 2021 either..  The plan was to "slow" the spread of the virus to give health officials time to prepare for dealing with it which is what has been accomplished.  We have "flattened the curve" and "reached the peak" as was hoped and are now on the down slope.  As Governor Cuomo, himself, put it, "The worst is over."  

We are expanding testing.  We are developing treatments that are reducing fatalities.  We will all be more conscious of spreading germs.  And people who are at high risk for poor outcomes from this virus will protect themselves from close contact situations.  But, over the next few weeks children will return to school, adults will return to work and most things will return to normal. 

There will undoubtedly be a segment of the population that will avoid baseball games, cruises (all travel) etc. for a while.  But, as the post I quoted made clear, the head of the Coronavirus Task Force (Vice President Pence) and the cruise lines are planning for a Summer cruising season.  That is the "reality." 
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corliss said:

There will undoubtedly be a segment of the population that will avoid baseball games, cruises (all travel) etc. for a while.  But, as the post I quoted made clear, the head of the Coronavirus Task Force (Vice President Pence) and the cruise lines are planning for a Summer cruising season.  That is the "reality." 

Where will any ship be able to cruise to? Perhaps a cruise for 3 days to nowhere?

There are still ships with passengers on board:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241929131.html

The cruise lines are still trying to repatriate crew amid this crisis. 

I'm glad that you put "reality" in inverted commas. 

I for one think all cruising will cease for at least a year maybe more  or until a vaccine is out. Countries like Spain, Italy will want to see some type of solution before the accept cruises in their ports. This 100 day cap on cruises will be extended and extended. IMHO.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Corliss said:

The reality is that the world will be living with covid for years.  The idea behind the national lock down was to "flatten the curve."  No one, including the health officials expected the country to be virus free on May 1st, nor on May 1, 2021 either..  The plan was to "slow" the spread of the virus to give health officials time to prepare for dealing with it which is what has been accomplished.  We have "flattened the curve" and "reached the peak" as was hoped and are now on the down slope.  As Governor Cuomo, himself, put it, "The worst is over."  

We are expanding testing.  We are developing treatments that are reducing fatalities.  We will all be more conscious of spreading germs.  And people who are at high risk for poor outcomes from this virus will protect themselves from close contact situations.  But, over the next few weeks children will return to school, adults will return to work and most things will return to normal. 

The flattening of the curve is because of the restrictions we have in place now.  But the slow down of the spread has not done a thing to prevent further infection.  As our governor said today, whereas he wants to get us back to lesser restrictions as quickly as possible, that to let our guard down for a moment will cause yet another explosive episode of infection spreading.   However, I hope your "opinion" is absolutely correct and mine is absolutely wrong.  But...not holding my breath.......oh yea...I am.....don't want the virus.......

7 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Where will any ship be able to cruise to? Perhaps a cruise for 3 days to nowhere?

There are still ships with passengers on board:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241929131.html

The cruise lines are still trying to repatriate crew amid this crisis. 

I'm glad that you put "reality" in inverted commas. 

Cruises to nowhere have been illegal for several years so they can't run them either.

Edited by njhorseman

17 hours ago, seaman11 said:

no change from what we know: still 100 days no sail.

from your link:

“After the nation’s top disease response agency posted orders keeping cruise ships docked last Wednesday night, extending the ban through August, the White House Coronavirus Task Force stepped in to cut it by 20 days,”

so apparently the cdc wanted 120days so the no sail was originally till August.

Now it's till July.

i never knew it was originally till Aug.

I (and many on this forum) knew it as 100days and lasting till July.

so no change from my standpoint

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

no change from what we know: still 100 days no sail.

“After the nation’s top disease response agency posted orders keeping cruise ships docked last Wednesday night, extending the ban through August, the White House Coronavirus Task Force stepped in to cut it by 20 days,”

so apparently the cdc wanted 120days so the no sail was originally till August.

Now it's till July.

i never knew it was originally till Aug.

I (and many on this forum) knew it as 100days and lasting till July.

so no change from my standpoint

that could be it, perhaps it was longer and the task force came in and made it shorter by 20 days.  we shall see, they can still resend it if the virus is under control in a month or so. 

Just now, seaman11 said:

how many covid cases? 

Absolutely none!  As the captain said this was the first 3 week cruise he was where there was no disease of any kind.  They sanitized literally nonstop day and night!

So far, NCL has only had 3 ships with Covid....1 on each.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

yike!

hope you werent doing 'stay in cabin' in an inside room.

No, not confined to the cabins at all.  Great treatment....only problem was finding an open port.  NCL finally had to charter airplanes to take all passengers to their home countries.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roger001 said:

The flattening of the curve is because of the restrictions we have in place now.  But the slow down of the spread has not done a thing to prevent further infection.  As our governor said today, whereas he wants to get us back to lesser restrictions as quickly as possible, that to let our guard down for a moment will cause yet another explosive episode of infection spreading.   However, I hope your "opinion" is absolutely correct and mine is absolutely wrong.  But...not holding my breath.......oh yea...I am.....don't want the virus.......

Who is your Governor?

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

what about to their private island in the bahamas? 

It's still in the Bahamas so that country would have to approve it. There are Bahamians who work on the private island . Is their government going to risk having them exposed to whatever infections the cruise ship might bring in?

Just now, njhorseman said:

It's still in the Bahamas so that country would have to approve it. There are Bahamians who work on the private island . Is their government going to risk having them exposed to whatever infections the cruise ship might bring in?

the whole thing is overblown as far as cruise's and covid.  its a real threat but imo cruises have been vilified here.   with only 3 cases before the lockdown, and after things calm down in a few months. it should not be a big issue. 

• Like 1