End of Safety Muster Drill....?

On our 30+ cruises, the embarkation day 3:30pm Safety Muster Drill is the best highlight of our week-long cruise, since it means that we'll be leaving port soon.

Always looking forward to meeting all 5000 of my fellow cruisemates on the outside starboard side 5th deck, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side, sardined in for 20 minutes, in wonderful steaming hot Galveston or freezing European port.  

Now with the 6 foot social distancing guidelines with us for awhile, even after cruising starts again.... We'll miss this awesome muster drill experience...?  😎

1 minute ago, NavyCruiser said:

On our 30+ cruises, the embarkation day 3:30pm Safety Muster Drill is the best highlight of our week-long cruise, since it means that we'll be leaving port soon.

Always looking forward to meeting all 5000 of my fellow cruisemates on the outside starboard side 5th deck, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side, sardined in for 20 minutes, in wonderful steaming hot Galveston or freezing European port.  

Now with the 6 foot social distancing guidelines with us for awhile, even after cruising starts again.... We'll miss this awesome muster drill experience...?  😎

As long as there is a 6 feet social distancing rule cruises won’t be sailing. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Or just watch a video in your cabin and listen to instructions from the speaker in your room. That is a solution but to be honest if you can't have people gather for just a muster drill then cruises are not gonna start. 

How are they going to have less full or half full ships for cruises that are sold out right now? I'm not volunteering to give up our Oasis cruise Sept. 6th. If they are sailing, we are going. How would that even work? On a selfish note, the idea of being on Oasis, GIANT Oasis will just half the passengers sounds pretty good. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Or just watch a video in your cabin and listen to instructions from the speaker in your room. That is a solution but to be honest if you can't have people gather for just a muster drill then cruises are not gonna start. 

How are they going to have less full or half full ships for cruises that are sold out right now? I'm not volunteering to give up our Oasis cruise Sept. 6th. If they are sailing, we are going. How would that even work? On a selfish note, the idea of being on Oasis, GIANT Oasis will just half the passengers sounds pretty good. 

I was just going to post the same thing.  Instead of the cabin guy checking your stateroom to make sure you are OUT he would check it to make sure you are IN

There are so many other things done on cruisers that would have to stop not just muster.  Like @Ourusualbeach said as long as there is a 6 foot social distance rule I don't see cruises happening

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

There are so many other things done on cruisers that would have to stop not just muster.  Like @Ourusualbeach said as long as there is a 6 foot social distance rule I don't see cruises happening

Exactly.  The many posts on CC discussing social distancing on ships are comical.  It's just not possible.  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Would you pay double for this experience?  We would. A Oasis Class ship with 1/2 or less capacity sounds awesome to us. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Would you pay double for this experience?  We would. A Oasis Class ship with 1/2 or less capacity sounds awesome to us. 

We sailed on one of them right after a hurricane a few years ago.  Less than half full.  It was GREAT as Tony the Tiger would say

Edit  That might even make Dan like that class of ship

Edited by molly361
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The muster drill is required by international maritime law IIRC, so it's not going anywhere.  It's a question of how they implement it.  Doing it in shifts could be really tough, for example, because they shut down all of the service venues and the crew has to be in their emergency stations.  If you divided the passengers up into two or three groups, it's that much longer that crew will not be serving drinks.  Not to mention the crowds on the stairs as some head back from muster drill and others head down to muster drill.

This is just one of the many, many challenges the cruise lines have to figure out before sailing starts again.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

On another thread someone pointed out that removing the over 70’s from a cruise would immediately reduce the numbers onboard. Controversial but possible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Costa Cruise Lines does all muster drill by video. It is impossible to do standard drill when they embark and disembark at multiple ports on it med cruises. Passenger embark and disembark depending on where they want to start or end their cruises. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

On another thread someone pointed out that removing the over 70’s from a cruise would immediately reduce the numbers onboard. Controversial but possible. 

I guess I don't pay attention enough but I don't recall seeing that many over 70 people on my cruises. I admit I don't pay attention much to that either. I sail out of NJ nearly 100% of the time, once in a blue moon, NYC but its RCI and NJ really only. That might have something to do with it. 

Edited by JAMESCC

Maybe instead of the over 70 crowd they should eliminate the people with kids, or maybe the 50's.  Just because you are 70 does not mean you are in bad health.  There are lots of young people that have major health concerns.  And you all are assuming that they will keep the social distancing once this virus has calmed down.  I know there will need to be changes made but to exclude an age group just because they are a certain age is asking for someone to implement a lawsuit against all the cruise lines.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the difference between sitting in some venue watching a video, as is done on the O class ships, or sitting in your cabin watching a video? A cabin video seems like an easy fix.

Cruising industry will adapt. I remember when we used to have to wear our life vest down to deck 4 or 5. I even remember our first cruise on a brand new Grandeur that it was women and children to the front of the line during the drill. Does anyone remember those days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strathcona said:

Costa Cruise Lines does all muster drill by video. It is impossible to do standard drill when they embark and disembark at multiple ports on it med cruises. Passenger embark and disembark depending on where they want to start or end their cruises. 

Things must of changed on Costa! We sailed with them just before the Concordia incident and they at that time they had the strictest drill we had ever known? We had sailed with a number of different lines before that!

I think there would be several drills. They will let people in small groups with some social distance in mind. It will adjust travel times and embarkation times. I also expect them to start either very late at night or very early in the morning. Ohh boy, these new embarkation regulations will be tough for the passangers.. thats for sure 

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Would be hard to verify if a passenger actually viewed the muster drill video in their stateroom.  

It is pretty hard to verify that they viewed it in a venue, too. All you can do us verify that they were present. I think a cabin attendent can quickly verify that their assigned cabins are occupied.

• Like 1