End of Safety Muster Drill....?

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the difference between sitting in some venue watching a video, as is done on the O class ships, or sitting in your cabin watching a video? A cabin video seems like an easy fix.

There's a TV in the cabin. 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

As a member of the medical profession, I have seen many much younger than 70 that are in far worse physical and mental shape than many 70 year old. 

Amen.

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

YUP!!! The end of interior staterooms?? 

When you think 30yrs ago was no Balcony Cabins, even Royal new built Ships the Suites were without Balcony's. Didnt even do a Balcony Cabin until 1999, couldnt afford one until then. Since, havent done an inside or OV, now would never. Couldn't imagine being Quarantined for 3-4 weeks in anything without a Balcony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

And totally against the law, I would imagine. There are many laws protecting the rights of senior citizens. Talk about discrimination at its worst.  Age is just a number.  As a member of the medical profession, I have seen many much younger than 70 that are in far worse physical and mental shape than many 70 year old. 

Controversial-yes 

illegal-no

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if more future new builds will move away from interior cabins altogether and repurpose the space for venues (though already lament lack of ocean views from many venues); but create all balcony cabin ships.  Lower deck OV's could be solved w "Cove Type" balconies seen on Carnival ships.   Some ships, like NCL Breakaway Plus class had already moved things like kids clubs to low decks and interior spaces (never made sense why kids clubs always had prime real estate?).  All balcony ship could definitely raise prices...but like others, I won't cruise with an interior or OV now.  Not happening. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

Are the muster drills going to be done different

Are the silent parties going away

is the Quest going away

Is the buffet going away

Are the MDR tables going to be spaced further apart

Are the elevators going to be capacity controlled

Are the parties in the promenade going away

Are the -------------------------

Will be interesting for while. On Cruise's never use Elevators, touched railings, door handles, or pretty much anything before CV.  Booked new and Re-booked other Flights last 2 days, no passengers in every other row, no snack or drink service...

4 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

Having 2 or 3 separate drills isn’t going to do it. Think of all the people within 6 feet of you while you’re at a drill, that’s how many separate drills you’d need.

Haven't had 6 INCHES distance from other passengers during most my Safety Drills. Always first there so at least I'm on end with nobody to left of me

13 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

On our 30+ cruises, the embarkation day 3:30pm Safety Muster Drill is the best highlight of our week-long cruise, since it means that we'll be leaving port soon.

Always looking forward to meeting all 5000 of my fellow cruisemates on the outside starboard side 5th deck, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side, sardined in for 20 minutes, in wonderful steaming hot Galveston or freezing European port.  

Now with the 6 foot social distancing guidelines with us for awhile, even after cruising starts again.... We'll miss this awesome muster drill experience...?  😎

There is absolutely no reason to ever have an outdoor muster drill.They can have it on the TV’s in cabins.If they want to insure that passengers view it they can hand out a questionnaire specific to the drill on that date.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

And totally against the law, I would imagine. There are many laws protecting the rights of senior citizens. Talk about discrimination at its worst.  Age is just a number.  As a member of the medical profession, I have seen many much younger than 70 that are in far worse physical and mental shape than many 70 year old. 

Not sure this is that much different than how they discriminate against infants.  Parents can’t cruise with their 6 month old or under or their under 12 month old if there are more than 3 sea days. They just have to say they can’t provide the proper care if they get sick.

It wouldn’t be a popular decision.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Maybe instead of the over 70 crowd they should eliminate the people with kids, or maybe the 50's.  Just because you are 70 does not mean you are in bad health.  There are lots of young people that have major health concerns.  And you all are assuming that they will keep the social distancing once this virus has calmed down.  I know there will need to be changes made but to exclude an age group just because they are a certain age is asking for someone to implement a lawsuit against all the cruise lines.

I;m well over 70 and in good health.  Someone mentioned not seeing many cruisers over 70 - maybe because we don't fit the profile of "old"  that they have in their mind.  Those with walkers and riding cars often are not "seniors".

• Like 3

I'm new to this thread and stumbled across it while doing some research for an upcoming cruise on Empress of the Seas, Nov. 28, 2020.

I'm pretty sure that the person who mentioned seeing where someone had suggested dis-allowing passengers over 70 from cruising, was not really advocating that idea.  In researching the ages of cruise passengers, I found a graph showing that the largest percentage of cruisers are from 55-64, at 25.7%.   However, the groups from 65-74 and 75 and older was 28.59%!

Any way you look at it, age groups will never be eliminated.  I'm sure that the cruise lines will figure a way to work this out.

I cruise solo sometimes and other times with a group.  In my group of about a dozen, we range in age from mid 60's to 90!

19 minutes ago, DavidinFLL said:

I'm new to this thread and stumbled across it while doing some research for an upcoming cruise on Empress of the Seas, Nov. 28, 2020.

I'm pretty sure that the person who mentioned seeing where someone had suggested dis-allowing passengers over 70 from cruising, was not really advocating that idea.  In researching the ages of cruise passengers, I found a graph showing that the largest percentage of cruisers are from 55-64, at 25.7%.   However, the groups from 65-74 and 75 and older was 28.59%!

Any way you look at it, age groups will never be eliminated.  I'm sure that the cruise lines will figure a way to work this out.

I cruise solo sometimes and other times with a group.  In my group of about a dozen, we range in age from mid 60's to 90!

Depending on where ships going, Brand, Class and length of Cruise many different Cruise statistics. As 70 is cutoff This is a General one for 2018 out of a Travel Site for Florida Cruises: 9% UNDER 12YRS OLD, 6% 13-19, 9% 20-29, 11% 30-39, 15% 40-49, 18% 50-59, 19% 60-69, 14% 70+   ...I only do 10-16niters longer Cruises and at B2B-B4B  21-40+ nites at time and at 54 I'm on younger end these. Get an Oasis Class and some Cruises have about 1500-2000 kids

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

I don’t disagree about the physical condition of many 70 + year olds. My Mum is in this category and goes to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. That said, it’s easy enough to make sweeping rules when it’s done in the “best interest” of those impacted. There were examples given in other threads - the restrictions on pregnant women, the minimum age of 6 months on a cruise, a minimum age of 1 year when there is more than 3 consecutive sea days. 

15 minutes ago, DavidinFLL said:

Just to add the context here. This came from a general discussion about the need to sail at less than 100% capacity, to allow space for social distancing. This was speculating how they would decide who, of those currently booked, would be told their cruise is cancelled. I threw out the idea of over 70’s, since they have been already put into a different category by RC. 

I’m not advocating it, just thinking aloud. 

If they had to reduce numbers there’s several ways they could do it. We’ve all provided them lots of data about our spending patterns in previous cruises. If I was them I’d keep the ones who spend most, regardless of age. 

14 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Just to add the context here. This came from a general discussion about the need to sail at less than 100% capacity, to allow space for social distancing. This was speculating how they would decide who, of those currently booked, would be told their cruise is cancelled. I threw out the idea of over 70’s, since they have been already put into a different category by RC. 

I’m not advocating it, just thinking aloud. 

If they had to reduce numbers there’s several ways they could do it. We’ve all provided them lots of data about our spending patterns in previous cruises. If I was them I’d keep the ones who spend most, regardless of age. 

What's this about RC putting over 70's into a different category?

55 minutes ago, squadron said:

I;m well over 70 and in good health.  Someone mentioned not seeing many cruisers over 70 - maybe because we don't fit the profile of "old"  that they have in their mind.  Those with walkers and riding cars often are not "seniors".

Great reply. 

I can't picture a cruise at even 50% capacity having the ability to maintain social distancing. People would go from being jamb packed together to just packed together. Think about trivia in the Schooner Bar or the 70's party on the Royal Promenade. Now cut the crowd in half. That isn't even close to social distancing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

They'll find a way to skirt the law.  For example, they could re-implement the "doctor's note" thing dated one week before embark.  That effectively was a complete ban dressed up as something else.

I don't see how social distancing could possibly work on a cruise ship.  The only place where you are apart from other passengers is in your cabin.  In all other venues, you are close to others.  I would imagine that cruise ships will have many more hand sanitizing "squirters" once we start sailing again!

31 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Social distancing is a TEMPORARY measure people.

I so agree. If social distancing is the new norm, then there are no church events, no schools ( other than online) sports, no movies, no theater performances, no eating in restaurant and bars and grill, no using public transportation system or, heaven forbid the sub. No air transportation, because they can't fly 1/2 0r 1/3 full and stay in business. Life will be reduced to living in a bubble with escape only for life necessities.

Obviously, just MHO.

Edited by The sea calls my name
edit
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, DavidinFLL said:

I don't see how social distancing could possibly work on a cruise ship.  The only place where you are apart from other passengers is in your cabin.  In all other venues, you are close to others.  I would imagine that cruise ships will have many more hand sanitizing "squirters" once we start sailing again!

Hand sanitizers are not that great a help in preventing transmission of a virus present in respiratory droplets. Corona transmission is very different from Noro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1