Live virtual Transatlantic on the Regal

scubacruiserx2

WOW! Through your virtual sailing, I have experienced so many new places that I need to see again. This has been such a wonderful tour and many times it did not seem virtual.

I will read this entire thread again for my favorites including Fernas Stew, Mont St. Michel etc.

I know we are all hoping to sail soon, but looking at the whole picture, we will have to wait.

Thank you again for sharing your tour. You did an incredible job.

When is your next virtual adventure?

10 hours ago, Loucat said:

WOW! Through your virtual sailing, I have experienced so many new places that I need to see again. This has been such a wonderful tour and many times it did not seem virtual.

I will read this entire thread again for my favorites including Fernas Stew, Mont St. Michel etc.

I know we are all hoping to sail soon, but looking at the whole picture, we will have to wait.

Thank you again for sharing your tour. You did an incredible job.

When is your next virtual adventure?

Thanks , mission accomplished . The adventure continues with a trip to and a day in Copenhagen and sailing on the Zuideram to 4 ports in Norway .

• Like 1

After breakfast at the hotel we headed to the airport for our trip on BA to Copenhagen . 

A nice BA club

DSC06899%202_zpsztobd4bm.jpg

We flew Club Europe to Copenhagen which means 2 people share 3 seats instead of 2 larger seats shown when booking 

DSC06901%202_zpsqun3svfr.jpg

DSC06903%204_zps7mkhkj8a.jpg

DSC06904%202_zpspulmvftm.jpg

Breakfast is served . With a second breakfast we felt like Hobbits .

DSC06911%202_zpsubmusehf.jpg

3 hours ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

So enjoyed our virtual cruise and looking forward to HAL and Norway.

Never been on HAL so looking forward to the experience.

Most of our cruises in the past 2 years have been with HAL to some great places like the Baltic , Iceland and Antarctica with South America . Here's a couple of photos and a link to SA and Antarctica if you wold like to see it . 

IMG_7313_zpsssxvsy1a.jpg

IMG_0111-002_zps25cde17a.jpg

IMG_8711_zps0kqsz0pp.jpg

IMG_7013%201_zps2gelkhdv.jpg

• Like 3

Morten was our guide and driver for the day before we joined the ship .

DSC08121%202_zpsqcitr8xo.jpg

The Zuiderdam was a little further out than where we normally dock in the foreground 

IMG_3922%202_zpsfqzezntx.jpg

Where the RCI ship is within walking distance to a number of sites

IMG_3921%202_zpsahzjwnh3.jpg

We wanted to get to the Little Mermaid before the people started crawling on her

IMG_3912%202_zpsanx7pd8f.jpg

IMG_2005_zps1p3oh5ed.jpg

There's also a Polar Bear with cubs nearby

IMG_3925%202_zpshpfsxvpx.jpg

We also saw the genetically modified Little Mermaid - no crowds here

IMG_3931%202_zpslgeefxqp.jpg

The next stop was Kastellet 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastellet,_Copenhagen

The barracks

IMG_3949%202_zpseqhsu7ax.jpg

The church was in session

IMG_3953%202_zpsks7zn3d2.jpg

IMG_3956%201_zpsugwasqnt.jpg

The windmill

IMG_3967%202_zpsw9pg1wpe.jpg

the church with a ship suspended from the ceiling

IMG_3976%202_zpsfaus3bce.jpg

It look's like someone has a big headache

IMG_3993%202_zpsg5dearn3.jpg

Perhaps a bite to eat will get rid of the headache

DSC08117%202_zpsjmfsgejd.jpg

We all had a Ristet . This isn't my photo , but it was what we had . Grilled onions and pickled cucumbers = YUM

Hotdog-Ristet-21-Roslashd-20-e1363445921138%201_zpstrwreek7.jpg

Thanks for taking us to Copenhagen!  It's one of my most favorite ports.  We've been there 5 times, usually at the end of a TA.  However, our first visit was at the end of a repositioning cruise (from Rome) on the old Regal P in 2003.  Our last was in 2017 on the Zuiderdam <g> at the end of our last TA (and as it turned out, our last cruise).  We stayed for several days, as we usually do when there by/to a ship.  On that last visit, I walked around all day.  Revisited old favorites and visited some new places.  I never tire of all the varied church steeples even though most of the churches aren't active any more.  On the last visit, I went into a church right in the midst of the shopping district--it had become an art gallery.  Also visited a church which was still in use--had a small model ship suspended front of the altar area.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

Thanks for taking us to Copenhagen!  It's one of my most favorite ports.  We've been there 5 times, usually at the end of a TA.  However, our first visit was at the end of a repositioning cruise (from Rome) on the old Regal P in 2003.  Our last was in 2017 on the Zuiderdam <g> at the end of our last TA (and as it turned out, our last cruise).  We stayed for several days, as we usually do when there by/to a ship.  On that last visit, I walked around all day.  Revisited old favorites and visited some new places.  I never tire of all the varied church steeples even though most of the churches aren't active any more.  On the last visit, I went into a church right in the midst of the shopping district--it had become an art gallery.  Also visited a church which was still in use--had a small model ship suspended front of the altar area.

You're welcome . We've been 3 times . First on a Baltic in 2006 and again with our eldest grandson on a Baltic in 2016 . We will be visiting several more churches for photos so you may recognize several .

A couple more churches 

IMG_3998%202_zps3tcwygay.jpg

Saint Alban's  (English Church )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Alban's_Church,_Copenhagen

IMG_4002%202_zpsbegpjpj7.jpg

IMG_4003%202_zpsqwtbswiv.jpg

IMG_4010%202_zpsdhghht5y.jpg

And The Church of Holmen (Sailor's Church )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmen_Church

IMG_4012%202_zpsh1rwrky3.jpg

IMG_4015%202_zpsnnyugrju.jpg

They were closing this one for the day when we were there

IMG_4025%202_zps08o1jdhv.jpg

IMG_4030%202_zps3zqn3diu.jpg

IMG_4031%202_zpsrzcggnwe.jpg

Amalienborg , the Queens Winter Palace .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalienborg

It's also where you can see the changing of the guard

IMG_1887_zpsg1lwhc5y.jpg

IMG_1883_zpsf5qwn3fu.jpg

There is a police presence there during the changing which has prompted a saying : The Danish Army is the only Army which requires police protection !

IMG_1889_zpssjhtpoe2.jpg

Frederik's Church

7a352273-4020-4709-b9c4-c8ea47da7d45_zpsrqt4rhr8.jpg

IMG_190920Stitch-001_zpsmcjyqmn7.jpg

IMG_1913%20Stitch-001_zpsoqiw9wp5.jpg

We had arrangements to go up above the dome for a view of the city .

IMG_1916_zpsaaik14zs.jpg

The climb to the top of the church was a tiny , dark , steep , circular stairway in which you couldn't see anything except the shoes of the person in front of you . And when one person stops the whole group stops . So , were the views worth the climb ?

In the distance , we could see the Church of our Savior

IMG_1926_zpsdlz3z1hf.jpg

And almost below us , where we had been .

IMG_1925-001_zpsukqjy7fk.jpg

Thank you for part 1 and an excellent job. Your stories and pictures captured the spirit of all places you visited. I enjoyed  all the food pictures and I didn't gain any weight.   I am looking forward to Part 2

Sali

17 minutes ago, Orangefan said:

Thank you for part 1 and an excellent job. Your stories and pictures captured the spirit of all places you visited. I enjoyed  all the food pictures and I didn't gain any weight.   I am looking forward to Part 2

Sali

Thanks Sali , save some room for dinner on the ship .

Tivoli Gardens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoli_(Copenhagen)

It was the inspiration which caused Walt Disney to built an amusement park after he had visited Tivoli . It's located in the city .

460420b2-97f3-4d65-a787-317199f05ab6_zps0pdzhsms.jpg

IMG_2363_zpsmiulcxz0.jpg

The Pantomine Theater

IMG_2358_zpsjgschtkt.jpg

The Moorish Palace

IMG_235320Stitch-001_zpsmq6fhj3h.jpg

The H.C. Anderson statute is just down the street

IMG_4109%202_zpsqcluttkv.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

On our last trip we stopped at Rosenborg Castle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenborg_Castle

L1130015_zpswdsvcaql.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsdekgvquz.jpg

There is a moat below the bricks

IMG_2101%20Stitch-001_zpslhkg2lps.jpg

A side view , from near the restrooms

IMG_2273_zps1wid99es.jpg

The top floor of the castle is a large room called The Knight's Hall .

IMG_2171_zpsvugovjtm.jpg

The walls are covered by 12 tapestries and at one end is a silver throne , the Throne for Audience

IMG_2173_zps5oeauo9g.jpg

There are several paintings on the ceiling

IMG_2170_zps7dlmqdvg.jpg

They reminded us of the Moscow Metro

IMG_2172_zpssgpkiwqo.jpg

And the Royal Danish Coat of Arms

IMG_2161_zpscll6i8ri.jpg

And on the end opposite of the silver throne , The King's and Queen's Coronation Throne guarded by the Three Silver Lions .

4a6cf0ab-8ea7-4c57-b9f2-93bcff6b9630_zpsogvjmhvg.jpg

Our last stop in Rosenborg Castle was the basement . At the entrance the guards were more vigilant than the ceremonial guards which we had seen earlier .

L1130089_zps04a6jtrx.jpg

The Treasury

IMG_2224_zps3zzkysvx.jpg

Order of the Elephant

IMG_2216_zpsktpavoit.jpg

The Oldenburg Horn

IMG_2217_zps7mzg8r12.jpg

And finally , our last stop in the Danish Treasury - The Crown Jewels . The following descriptions are from the Kongerness Samling website , but the photos are ours .

The Order of Dannebrog Star

IMG_2261-001_zpssngzlywm.jpg

Star of the Order of Dannebrog, gold with brilliants and rubies. Made after amendments to the statutes of the Order in 1808, probably for Frederik VI.

In this case is the Danish Crown Regalia including :

IMG_2260-001_zps9pciics9.jpg

The Anointing Sword, gold with enamel, table-cut and rose-cut stones. Used by the Absolutist kings and possibly by Frederik III. Originally a wedding present from Christian IV to Frederik III in 1643.

The Orb, gold with enamel and table-cut stones. Made in Hamburg for Frederik III’s coronation in 1648. Used at anointings during the period of Absolutism.

The Sceptre, gold with enamel and table-cut diamonds. Made for the coronation of Frederik III in 1648 by an unknown goldsmith in Copenhagen. Used at anointings during the period of Absolutism until 1840.

The Ampulla of gold with enamel and table-cut stones. Made for the coronation of Frederik III in 1648 by an unknown goldsmith in Copenhagen. Used at anointings during the period of Absolutism.

Amethyst (1305 carats/261 g.) in a casing with Christian V’s name in gold on enamel, possibly made by Paul Kurtz, 1671. The jewel was only used when the kings sat on the throne during the anointing

And the crowns . Beautiful to look at , but hard to take photos to do them justice !

IMG_2226_zpsdvrvggnr.jpg

Christian IV’s crown

Christian IV’s crown, made 1595-1596 by Dirich Fyring in Odense.

Gold with enamel, table-cut stones and pearls; total weight 2895 g. The figures on the crown’s large points illustrate the virtues and powers of a king.

IMG_2225-001_zps5sincco5.jpg

IMG_2248_zpsn58azsyw.jpg

Detail of King Christian the IV's crown .

IMG_2246_zpsoiafiyxp.jpg

Within another case resided two crowns , the larger and older of the two is King Christian the V's .

IMG_2242_zpsdnbeiaa1.jpg

The Crown of the Absolute Monarchs, used by the kings from Christian V to Christian VIII.

Made by Paul Kurtz in Copenhagen, 1670-1671. Gold with enamel and table-cut stones. Total weight 2080 g. Also 2 garnets and 2 sapphires, of which the largest dates back to Frederik I and was presumbaly a gift to his father, Christian I, from the Duke of Milan in 1474. On the palmette above this is a table-cut diamond, behind wich Christian V’s monogram in gold thread can be seen. Since the abolition of absolutism, the crown has only be used at the castrum doloris of the deceased Kings.

Ibid

And the smaller of the the two is the Queen's Crown

IMG_2270_zps0loiucav.jpg

The Queen’s Crown, made for Queen Sophie Magdalene by court jeweller Frederik (I) Fabritius in 1731.

It was in use until 1840. The table-cut stones are believed to have come from Queen Sophie Amalie’s crown from 1648. The crown was especially crafted for the queen, since the previous crown was worn by the much despised Anna Sophie Revntlow, the second wife of Frederik IV.

IMG_2251_zpscm9twome.jpg

IMG_2269_zpsy2jynh7v.jpg

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I love Tivoli!!

We do too but it was just a photo stop this time . In 2006 on the NCL Dream we had an overnight and went there in the evening and it was magical .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We do too but it was just a photo stop this time . In 2006 on the NCL Dream we had an overnight and went there in the evening and it was magical .

Yea - I went there when I was 18 as part of a high school trip. They scheduled us to have dinner and spend the evening there. Magical is definitely the word that first came to my mind also!

I did miss the polar bears - MUST go back! 🙂 Love polar bears.

11 hours ago, Coral said:

Yea - I went there when I was 18 as part of a high school trip. They scheduled us to have dinner and spend the evening there. Magical is definitely the word that first came to my mind also!

I did miss the polar bears - MUST go back! 🙂 Love polar bears.

There was a Polar Bear near the center pool on the Zuiderdam .

DSC08019%202_zpstwapnhem.jpg

• Like 1

This year our last stops were at The Copenhagen Cathedral known for it's statutes of Jesus and the Apostles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Our_Lady,_Copenhagen

IMG_4094%202_zpsjxm7pyyn.jpg

IMG_4086%202_zpsdjt120zs.jpg

IMG_4085%202_zps3qhowamx.jpg

Paul replaced Judas

IMG_4082%202_zpsjemhsvx2.jpg

And The Church of our Savior

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Our_Saviour,_Copenhagen

IMG_4147%202_zpsggyzj7lz.jpg

IMG_4119%202_zps7gnu2tfx.jpg

IMG_4124%202_zpsvg6llinv.jpg

IMG_4140%202_zpslrsiv3av.jpg