When cruising begins again... What will be different?

Sam.Seattle

Topic"When cruising begins again... What will be different?"

We will not be cruising !   Covid-19 has been a wake-up call.  We will miss the camaraderie cruising affords us but; time for a new phase in our traveling lives.   It's time for my wife and I to stay on terra firma and see our beautiful country !🚗🛤️

Good health, good travels and please stay safe !

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Hopefully a very different passenger make up!!!

bon voyage

Based upon age and health?

If they weren't scaring folks off with the Medical Note requirement, fewer people may have cancelled and maybe more would have made future bookings!

• Thanks 1

Just staring into space and " Thinking " --

It's so hard to believe what's happening !!!!

What " IF " 10% , only 10% of what we've been reading on this topic was actually implemented when cruising re-started, how much fun would it be ?? 

3 hrs screening at check in , wear a mask and looking at people wearing masks all day everywhere , social distancing so can't talk to or walk near anyone , someone's in the elevator so better wait, and no conga line !!!

I think I will get myself a flute, sit under a tree , and write poetry.

• Like 1

I don’t quite understand the “I won’t cruise until we have a vaccine” crowd.  We have Flu vaccines now, people who have gotten the vaccine still get the flu...and people continue to die from the Flu every year...

I say open the economy sooner than later...elderly, or those scared can continue to self quarantine...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t quite understand the “I won’t cruise until we have a vaccine” crowd.  We have Flu vaccines now, people who have gotten the vaccine still get the flu...and people continue to die from the Flu every year...

I say open the economy sooner than later...elderly, or those scared can continue to self quarantine...

Honestly, none of this makes a lick of sense, but, whatever.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

Based upon age and health?

If they weren't scaring folks off with the Medical Note requirement, fewer people may have cancelled and maybe more would have made future bookings!

Actually, IMO, those areas are very temporary and were targeted to the, then sailings.

No cruise line had thought, in all reality, that all sailings world wide, would be cancelled.

I really think that we may be over thinking, over re-acting, and believing that these restrictions are etched in stone for the future, which the CDC recommended and CLIA endorsed.

When the seas calm down a bit and sailing resumes in earnest, while there will be a different sailing approach, these restrictions most likely will fall by the wayside. After all, cruise lines took care of those with physical challenges already, like dialysis patients, individuals with lung diseases and the like... so there will be something to take care of those of us who are or soon to be over 70 sailing (without doctors notes)...

Again, I personally viewed the doctors note and chronic disease issues as temporary immediate restrictions based on CDC recommendations which by thew way, could have shut down sailing altogether but allowed this to take its' own natural course. Which is prudent, because the CDC can really say 'we only recommended and not demanded' which means, to me, they demanded or they would have shut it down via decree.

I think by us remaining calm and waiting to see how the greater COVID-19 world shakes out, we will see that all of this was a temporary measure and all will be fine with new health and boarding procedures in place.

bon voyage

• Like 3

Been reading a lot about inferior cruise ship ventilation systems.  First thing is to change the air filtration systems to state of the art that will eliminate all airborne particles.   Currently the air is not up to par and many get some type of illness on each cruise.  I am looking to see what will be done in this area.

• Like 1

Here's my take on what will be different when pleasure cruising resumes.  When it exists, my wife and I will both have had the vaccine that confers us immunity and we'll board with the required proof.  Then we'll eat, drink and be merry just like before without restriction.

Others may decide to step onto a ship with thousands of other people who may have or acquire (during visits to ports of call, etc.) a deadly virus.  We will not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

Been reading a lot about inferior cruise ship ventilation systems.  First thing is to change the air filtration systems to state of the art that will eliminate all airborne particles.   Currently the air is not up to par and many get some type of illness on each cruise.  I am looking to see what will be done in this area.

While not a bad idea, luckily Covid 19 isn't even airborne as the majority recommend a social distance for airborne of 4 meters or 13.1ft.  It's spread by small droplets produced by human bodily fluids often when people are coughing sneezing, or talking and the good news is, thanks to gravity they immediately fall downward.  While a sneeze or cough won't spread droplets beyond 6', the bad news is people still often sneeze or cough into their hands.  If they don't immediately wash them (even if they immediately head to the bathroom to wash them, they could still contaminate the bathroom door handle if the door isn't automatic), everything they touch risks being contaminated.  More bad news is various polls show something like no more 70% wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom in America and other countries can be far worse.

9 hours ago, tartantiara said:

The headphones at the silent disco ARE sanitised I have see them doing this. They have a box of sanitising wipes for this purpose 

Well, you were not on the same ship I was on... 

Edited by Sam.Seattle

6 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Well, you were not on the same ship I was on... 

If you did not see anyone sanitizing headphones used for silent disco, I would go so far to suggest that they were not re-distributed to the public. Was this before, during or after the disco you witnessed this?

That behaviour would warrant bringing this to the attention of an officer, if they were not.

I have never witnessed them not being cleaned after being returned and I presumed that they were cleaned before handing them out.

bon voyage

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, IMO, those areas are very temporary and were targeted to the, then sailings.

No cruise line had thought, in all reality, that all sailings world wide, would be cancelled.

I really think that we may be over thinking, over re-acting, and believing that these restrictions are etched in stone for the future, which the CDC recommended and CLIA endorsed.

When the seas calm down a bit and sailing resumes in earnest, while there will be a different sailing approach, these restrictions most likely will fall by the wayside. After all, cruise lines took care of those with physical challenges already, like dialysis patients, individuals with lung diseases and the like... so there will be something to take care of those of us who are or soon to be over 70 sailing (without doctors notes)...

Again, I personally viewed the doctors note and chronic disease issues as temporary immediate restrictions based on CDC recommendations which by thew way, could have shut down sailing altogether but allowed this to take its' own natural course. Which is prudent, because the CDC can really say 'we only recommended and not demanded' which means, to me, they demanded or they would have shut it down via decree.

I think by us remaining calm and waiting to see how the greater COVID-19 world shakes out, we will see that all of this was a temporary measure and all will be fine with new health and boarding procedures in place.

bon voyage

This makes sense and we are hopeful about our Jan 2021 cruise on Constellation... For us does not matter if the ship is not updated.  We  just want a clean ship and happy healthy crew and passengers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agree. They were definitely wiping them with sanitizing wipes on the 2/16 Edge sailing.

I doubt they will have the silent disco anymore -- besides the cleaning of the headphones, you won't be able to get close enough to poke someone in the face while swinging your arms.

" Cruising " don't sound like fun no more --- ( see why English wasn't my best subject in University ??? )

On 4/19/2020 at 2:10 PM, LMaxwell said:

Ultra-violet sanitizing stations at entrance to lounges and public venues. 

The return of single use plastic straws. 

Removal of glass beer bottles; to be replaced by screw top aluminum cans served sealed(then the bar tender is not touching the spout of bottle to open it). 

The end of complimentary room services

The paper straws are single use.  

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

Thank you for this. I agree. There are wonderful vacation options other than cruising. Life is short and we have now been reminded how short it can be. Embrace different travel options and styles and get out of the cruise rut. See the world more broadly via land tours in particular. 

While we enjoy different types of holidays nothing compares to cruising for us, nothing like being on the ocean.

• Like 2

My cruising days are over.  Being over 70 places me in the high risk group.  I am grateful for all the wonderful experiences I have encountered with Celebrity, RCCL and Azamara.  The places I have seen would not have been possible had I not discovered the joys of cruising many decades ago.  Now, I look at the photos screening on my TV and relive the experience in a small way.  I am truly grateful.

• Like 2

Yorky, indeed. Different things bring different joy to each of us.

I was in a cruise rut, so branched out and have been blessed with equally great land vacations - so it is what ever gives joy in the short life spans we are granted.

Happy cruising.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, Cantorindahouse said:

Topic"When cruising begins again... What will be different?"

We will not be cruising !   Covid-19 has been a wake-up call.  We will miss the camaraderie cruising affords us but; time for a new phase in our traveling lives.   It's time for my wife and I to stay on terra firma and see our beautiful country !🚗🛤️

Good health, good travels and please stay safe !