Selling the whole ship

gary705

11 minutes ago, cwn said:

There are several testing sites in the Houston area that are doing antibody testing. Is it available in OK. I was tested last week because I was hospitalized in late Jan with breathing problems, fever and cough, but was neg so was my husband.  

No antibody testing available yet for someone just going in and wanting to be tested.  They have done some random testing to just get the idea of prevalence. I am hoping my hospital will have antibody testing in a few weeks.

5 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I was typing my answer as you replied, but we basically said the same thing.  Lol.

Yes, but you did put an additional spin on it.  Despite the body's incomplete ability to eradicate HPV and varicella, they do have vaccines.  It was my impression that, at least in the case of varicella, the idea was to prevent you from getting chicken pox in the first place, so then you would also not get shingles.  

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Yes, but you did put an additional spin on it.  Despite the body's incomplete ability to eradicate HPV and varicella, they do have vaccines.  It was my impression that, at least in the case of varicella, the idea was to prevent you from getting chicken pox in the first place, so then you would also not get shingles.  

The HPV vaccines are very effective in preventing infection with particular strains of HPV.  The problem is there are many many different strains, so the vaccine just covers the most common ones. 

With chicken pox, the vaccine is to prevent you from getting the virus in the first place so that you would not get shingles later--correct.  The shingles shot is sort of like a booster shot to boost your immune system to keep the virus suppressed as you get older.

Maybe, MAYBE, some good news on vaccines. 

Oxford University (I think internationally accepted as one of the leading vaccine developers in the world) have announced that they will begin human trials on Thursday. They have gone straight to what they call Phase Two with up to 1,500 people involved. If, and I accept it is a big if, the trial goes well, they could have a working vaccine by summer, with mass production before the end of the year.

a lot of people on this forum have stated the importance of a vaccine in relation to their future cruising, so I hope this message provides some hope

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Maybe, MAYBE, some good news on vaccines. 

Oxford University (I think internationally accepted as one of the leading vaccine developers in the world) have announced that they will begin human trials on Thursday. They have gone straight to what they call Phase Two with up to 1,500 people involved. If, and I accept it is a big if, the trial goes well, they could have a working vaccine by summer, with mass production before the end of the year.

a lot of people on this forum have stated the importance of a vaccine in relation to their future cruising, so I hope this message provides some hope

It does sound really good for people in the U.K. (here is a copy of the article that I read) https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oxford-university-coronavirus-vaccine-to-begin-human-trials-on-thursday-as-uk-throws-everything-at-vital-breakthrough-2020-04-21 but the U.S. could take a long time to accept it without running their own tests.  As My British DH has said, if any country develops a safe vaccine, we will be on the first plane that we can get on to fly to that country and get it.

Thank you for the very helpful and positive post.

There are also antibody treatments (synthesized antibodies) that may be available by the Fall.  These treatments target the virus in those that have it and help fight it off.  In those who do not have it, it give you immunity from the virus for about 2 months.  These antibody injections may be a place-holder until a vaccine comes out next year.  Of course, other treatments may show efficacy by the summer or Fall as well.  There is lots to be hopeful about.  The entire world's medical industry is working on the problem.  

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

The HPV vaccines are very effective in preventing infection with particular strains of HPV.  The problem is there are many many different strains, so the vaccine just covers the most common ones. 

With chicken pox, the vaccine is to prevent you from getting the virus in the first place so that you would not get shingles later--correct.  The shingles shot is sort of like a booster shot to boost your immune system to keep the virus suppressed as you get older.

I've read that the shingles shot has uncomfortable side effects.  Really hope that everyone will vacinnate their children.  Getting shingles is a difficult thing to get through.  Rachel - it is so nice to have a doctor on this board.  Thank you so much for what you do!

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

If people (or at least most people) are not immune after actually having Covid-19, then IMO there is not much chance of getting a vaccine that works.  Such a vaccine would require some real creativity to surpass the immune response of the actual virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52344676/coronavirus-possible-to-be-infected-with-covid-19-more-than-once

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I've read that the shingles shot has uncomfortable side effects.  Really hope that everyone will vacinnate their children.  Getting shingles is a difficult thing to get through.  Rachel - it is so nice to have a doctor on this board.  Thank you so much for what you do!

Thanks, Jackie.  Hopefully I won't be hanging around here so much starting next week.  Governor has said we can start doing surgeries again.

Some people do get really sick for a day or two after the shingles shot.  Still a good idea to get one though as shingles can be really unpleasant, and in some cases cause permanent nerve damage.

• Like 1

The Shingrix shots were not that bad for me at all.  Gave me a chance to review Infinity War and Endgame this winter.  Certainly better than shingles.  Now I'm just hoping the series ends up being covered by Medicare down the road, as the series was expensive for a lot of seniors.  

I believe I saw something that should a COVID-19 vaccine be developed, Medicare and major insurers will cover it as they do the annual flu shot - i.e., free to client at point of service in the US, with a lot of shots provided to low/no cost clinics for those who don't have insurance coverage currently.

I do assume any COVID-19 vaccines at first will be given to health care workers, first responders, essential workers, and then to seniors and immuno-compromised, and so forth.  I would certainly hope people would not 'cut the line' due to having more financial resources than others.  Probably a hope sure to be disappointed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Sounds great, and I hope it pans out.

A person on another thread posted about the Oxford study for a vaccine that could be ready for people in the U.K. in September.  I read the article and it was promising.  However, the U.S. will want to run their own tests (that will likely be inferior to the testing done at Oxford) before they will release it in this country.  IF Oxford is able to accomplish this feat, my British DH and I will be on the first available plane to London.  

Israel is also in the process of doing a phase 2 trial for both a vaccine and a treatment.  If it goes well, we may have to take a quick jaunt to Hadassah Hospital before our future travels which, as the earliest, are next January.

2 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

Israel is also in the process of doing a phase 2 trial for both a vaccine and a treatment.  If it goes well, we may have to take a quick jaunt to Hadassah Hospital before our future travels which, as the earliest, are next January.

Interestingly, we will be in Israel in November (before the vaccine or treatment will likely be available) but would have no problem returning there to receive a vaccine.  They are one of several countries that we truly believe in!

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

However, the U.S. will want to run their own tests (that will likely be inferior to the testing done at Oxford) before they will release it in this country.  

This is actually not a very kind or helpful statement.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Some folks in this discussion are very ignorant when it comes to the topic of drug approval process. Without a long-term safety study you would be a fool to have this vaccination. Even if a drug is effective, it doesn’t mean it is safe. I seem to recall a situation a few years back where a drug approved overseas turned out to be deadly and was not approved here, and was removed from the markets where it was being used. 

• Like 7

We all have hope for a drug that will kill this beast. Unfortunately when there is just anecdotal evidence of a possible solution, some people in the media, government and others conclude that the next miracle drug that shows some promise, is indeed the beast killer. I've lost count on how many new miracle drugs have been touted by the media, only to disappear when the next miracle drug is the new "news". I know that some people hope, no expect, COVID-19 to magically go away and we will get back to normal soon and we can all go cruising. I for one am listening to the scientist and the doctors that are leaders in this field and they are all saying that this beast is here for a while and it will likely reoccur in the fall/winter, if it ever even goes to sleep this summer. Emotions are high and some folks let their emotions dictate their thoughts and actions. We need to rely on the medical professionals and science. There are a lot of smart people working on this problem. We need to allow the process to work so that we have a reliable and safe solution. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

A person on another thread posted about the Oxford study for a vaccine that could be ready for people in the U.K. in September.

If trials are successful, Oxford may have a proven Vaccine by Autumn this year ............. but manufacturing in the quantity required still means that it would not be widely available until mid 2021 at the earliest.

Initial batches would be reserved for medical staff and other key workers.

Probably a similar story for the many other vaccine research groups working at speed around the world.

• Like 2

A vaccine is being discussed here as if there could be more than one formula for the vaccine. Could that possibly be right? That there could be more than one effective vaccine.

Is there anyone here with the scientific understanding who can speak to that?

1 minute ago, bissel said:

A vaccine is being discussed here as if there could be more than one formula for the vaccine. Could that possibly be right? That there could be more than one effective vaccine.

Don't have the scientific understanding you asked for but, from credible reports there are many (at least double figures)vaccines in research in many countries.  Even if vaccines are developed, tested, and approved by the authorities for that country, unlikely other countries and almost for sure the US will these vaccines be acceptable in the other ountries without the authorities like CDC in the US running their own approval processes.

The major problem with all these studies and reports is that after the thalidomide disaster in the 50's and 60's when the tests performed failed to find  the deformed baby issue, drugs will continue to need the long term studies and testing to make sure that beyond preventing the virus there are not any hazardous problems in other areas.  

18 minutes ago, bissel said:

There are seven different Diphtheria vaccines and four different Polio vaccines and two different Shingles vaccines; I believe other viruses also have multiple vaccines.  All different formulae that work.

Here is list of vaccines available in USA:  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-list.html

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 2

There are multiple possible vaccines being evaluated, many that are already being used for other illnesses. I believe that our great doctors and scientist will get there but it will take time to prove safe and useful. One of the challenges is that COVID-19 is mutating so even if a vaccine is developed it may work one year and not the next. Think it terms of the flu. For those who get the vaccine it is effective in 30%-60% of the cases dependent on the flu that year and every year there are multiple strains of the flu. The big question is whether COVID-19 will act more like the flu or will it be one vaccine that works for all cases. That’s the current dilemma. It’s new and we don’t know enough about it to be sure. If anyone tells you that we know for sure I wouldn’t listen to them. 

https://news.uga.edu/biao-he-possible-covid19-vaccine/

Interesting research from my alma mater through the School of Veterinary Science.  It looks as if it might be ready for use because it's already been proven effective for MERS and SARS in humans.  That removes many of the approval obstacles of safe for humans that take so much time.   Possibly ready for approval by the end of this year.  

Edited by orvil

13 minutes ago, orvil said:

https://news.uga.edu/biao-he-possible-covid19-vaccine/

Interesting research from my alma mater through the School of Veterinary Science.  It looks as if it might be ready for use because it's already been proven effective for MERS and SARS in humans.  That removes many of the approval obstacles of safe for humans that take so much time.   Possibly ready for approval by the end of this year.  

After reading the entire article don't see anything about a COVID=19 vaccinated being ready by the end of the year.  It says the MERS vaccine may be ready for FDA approval by the end of the year and that approval generally takes a year or more.  Seems the title of the article is hopeful but, the full article has conflicts and goes from MERS to SARs and hoping but, don't believe this is anything at this point to be hopeful for as a COVD-19 vaccine.

There was an interesting New Yorker article April 20, 2020 profiling Anthony Fauci talking about developing a vaccine platform to encompass different corona viruses . Then with each mutating virus you could fiddle with it to bring a new virus in quick order.

I think that’s what he said! 🤓

• Haha 1