News on Fincantieri shipyards

Cailey53

Good to know they are slowly getting back up and running. For all of us on the Ryndam

Premier Sailing (and subsequent sailings), we anxiously await the update for a presumed delayed schedule.

Edited by boze9999

They may want to work VERY slowly on these new builds.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got orders from the buyers to slow WAY down or to delay delivery by months if not a year or more...at least until we know what the "new normal" looks like for our beloved cruise industry as a whole.  But then again this is only a guess on my part.

• Like 1

I don't think dragging the delivery date out by months or years is possible.  These ship yards have schedules, and they can't allow a partially finished hull to sit in a very expensive drydock until the customer feels that he can afford to take delivery.   Once the keel is laid, that mass of steel cannot be moved to some holding area until the cruise market is right for delivery.  The funds for the delivery are already allocated.   It's a done deal.   The ship yard has hundreds of millions of Euros invested and they want their final payment.  The cruise line cannot pay for an unfinished ship, so they will be completed as soon as possible.

• Like 1

The question of a company being able to not permit a shipyard as ordered by a cruise company really deserves a different thread.  Such has happened in the recent past.

An unknown named company in Libya ordered a cruise ship  whose hull was finished.  Money apparently ran out.  Building stopped.  Eventually, MSC bought the unfinished ship and had it completed (whether or not at the same shipyard or not, I don't know).  It sails as the MSC Preziosa.

NCL's Pride of America began her life in a shipyard in either Mississippi or Alabama in the same way.  The ordering company lacked the funds to complete the build out.  NCL bought the partly built vessel, took it to an European shipyard (if I recall correctly), and finished her.  

On 4/24/2020 at 5:56 AM, Sue from Canada said:

Wow, that's quite a list of ships on order.  Thanks for posting the site.

With not much money left to pay for them.

Virgin airlines if you believe the press is on the verge of collapse so a cruise ship

NCLH - just had loan deferrals so who knows if they will build out the Leonardo class

An article on the 'other' major cruise ship builder Meyer. in Germany.

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-lines-tell-shipyard-they-wont-need-some-of-the-new-cruise-ships-they-ordered/

Cruising had been exploding as we all know and it is hard to imagine all this new capacity would have been needed even in a 

'perfect' cruising world.   

Edited by chisoxfan
change phrase

NCL's Pride of America began her life in a shipyard in either Mississippi or Alabama in the same way.  The ordering company lacked the funds to complete the build out.  NCL bought the partly built vessel, took it to an European shipyard (if I recall correctly), and finished her.  

I thought it was just the opposite — the ship was started overseas, but because it was finished in a US shipyard it meets the PVSA standard of a US build.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

33 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I thought it was just the opposite — the ship was started overseas, but because it was finished in a US shipyard it meets the PVSA standard of a US build.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

from Wikipedia

the first of a pair of 70,000 ton cruise ships to be built at the Litton-Ingalls shipyard in Mississippi

A special exemption on the part of the U.S. government allowed the modified, mostly German-built ship to attain U.S. registry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_of_America

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Any ship that has had its keel laying will most likely be delivered, albeit with delays of 6-18 months. I foresee any ships on order that have not yet reached that stage of construction to be delayed indefinitely or cancelled. 

I agree.  Or in whatever new build state the ship may be, the hull may be sold to whomever to become a different ship for a different company.  It has happened before.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  Or in whatever new build state the ship may be, the hull may be sold to whomever to become a different ship for a different company.  It has happened before.

RKAcruiser and AtlantaCruiser72:

You both seem more knowledgeable about these matters than I do. So I'll ask you: where is the new Ryndam in this process? I'm booked on its initial transatlantic in early October, 2021 (nearly five months after its announced maiden cruise), but I'm becoming concerned about whether the ship will be completed by then (if at all).

Jim

18 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

RKAcruiser and AtlantaCruiser72:

You both seem more knowledgeable about these matters than I do. So I'll ask you: where is the new Ryndam in this process? I'm booked on its initial transatlantic in early October, 2021 (nearly five months after its announced maiden cruise), but I'm becoming concerned about whether the ship will be completed by then (if at all).

Jim

I wish I could answer your question, Jim.  I don't know.  I have posted that question on CC and have not had any really informative information.  One suggestion was to access the shipyard's web site, if such is possible.  I have not tried to do so, however.  Even then, as laymen, I am not sure any information that we might learn would be of much help as to answering your question.