ABC discussion on future of cruising

Well I did take the trouble to listen to the whole of this broadcast and found it very interesting from several points of view .  I was hoping for more input from listeners stating if they were going to carry on cruising or not.  I would like to thank Melbtone for taking the trouble to post this interesting subject.

Cheers John.

I just listened to it all as well.

I think the academic was very biased. I haven't been to Venice and I am sure there are too many cruise ships there but she was  blaming the cruise ships. The port authority in Venice  could reduce the numbers very easily with the stroke of a pen. In fact at the beginning of the podcast someone from a cruise line said the Italians did start building some terminal outside Venice about 10 years ago but never finished it. 

I also found it very strange that she was basing her accusations of cruise companies exploiting their workers on some documentary? ( I think). Now any serious academic would NEVER do that.  She said they work for months on end without any days off. Now considering how many crew I've seen in port on a beach or shopping and sharing the cruise buses back to the ship with them, if that's working, well sign me up. I think that the pay and conditions would have to be good for crew to be willing to leave their family. So I am not so sure about "exploitation'. As the compare said, "you can say that about anything. Your computer, your clothes etc are all made in places where wages are low".At least the host wasn't biased. He was quite balanced. And also again the academic was blaming the ship for the way crew were treated when some had corona virus, when it was clearly our gov who wouldn't let them come ashore! And then saying there's a criminal investigation going on implying that the cruise companies were breaking the law. I think she is a very poor academic with her level of bias.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Unlike Fox, eh?

Thanks for the laugh!  Did you know that the US used to have reporting which reported both sides, which was changed by Reagon?  Now you listen to the station which only presents one side - your views!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for the laugh!  Did you know that the US used to have reporting which reported both sides, which was changed by Reagon?  Now you listen to the station which only presents one side - your views!

Yep, where "it's the other channel that has the fake news, not the one we watch".

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, MelbTone said:

ABC Nightlife last night, 55 mins. https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/nightlife/nightlife/12175114

Cruise ships have become almost synonymous with Covid-19 after a spate of outbreaks onboard them. So what does the future hold for his beleaguered industry once this crisis is over?

I suspect the same as any retirement / nursing home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Probably considers Sky news the superior option.

Credlin, Bolt, Murray, Jones and co do have some supporters, just not me.

When I want ****, I can go to the park and get it from where the people walking their dogs have left it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did Reagan also change it here also, as it seems much the same here - the rightie & the leftie media, each with their own agendas. Requires some critical thinking to discern the truth.

29 minutes ago, mr walker said:

the rightie & the leftie media, each with their own agendas

I'd like to know where this leftie media is. Apart from some tiny outfits on the internet, virtually all TV and print I see leans right. Or in the case of News Ltd outlets, sprawls right.

The ABC tries to be centre, but its like a dog that's been beaten too often, every time a govt minister approaches it, it cowers.

• Like 1

I think the main reason the ABC is seen to be leftist, is due to the fact the others are right and the ABC is not like them so it must be left.

Personally, I try and get a mix of news from various sources, which also includes News ltd, Fairfax, SBS, Al Jazeera and BBC and occasionally some of the US news streams.

15 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I'd like to know where this leftie media is. Apart from some tiny outfits on the internet, virtually all TV and print I see leans right. Or in the case of News Ltd outlets, sprawls right.

The ABC tries to be centre, but its like a dog that's been beaten too often, every time a govt minister approaches it, it cowers.

I guess the leftist/rightist division depends where the line of demarcation is drawn. For me, the left leaning media includes the ABC, Guardian, Australian. Mostly the rest are by definition to the right of them.

Critical comprehension is a useful, and often lacking, skill that is essential to gaining an understanding of what's happening in the world.

The overriding fact is that most people choose to read/view media that aligns with their own views.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:24 PM, mr walker said:

Did Reagan also change it here also, as it seems much the same here - the rightie & the leftie media, each with their own agendas. Requires some critical thinking to discern the truth.

No.  Australia followed British journalism, which was an honourable profession.  We also followed the British Civil Service, in providing unbiased advice.  However, Australia, in recent times, has moved to follow the US News, as well as a more political public service.  When I last visited Canada and NZ, I noticed their news wasn't as American as ours. 

On 5/1/2020 at 6:37 PM, MicCanberra said:

I think the main reason the ABC is seen to be leftist, is due to the fact the others are right and the ABC is not like them so it must be left.

Personally, I try and get a mix of news from various sources, which also includes News ltd, Fairfax, SBS, Al Jazeera and BBC and occasionally some of the US news streams.

ABC remains my core news.  ABC is to the centre of news.  As a child, I remember everyone stopped when the ABC News came on the radio.  Every event I've been to in the country, the ABC is always there. I follow lots of different news and current affairs like you mentioned.  Currently, I'm subscribed to NY Times and Washington Post, where I follow the corona virus situation in the US.  I have a friend on a ventilator in NY.

• Like 1

Like most people I have met on this forum this Canadian prefers the truth. I get my international news from multiple sources and my National news from all the national sources. I prefer one local station for local news because they make it fun.

There is one network in the USA that is the propaganda broadcaster for the "leader" of that nation. I will not listen to that, their grasp of the truth is very poor.  If that particular outfit reported that the sky was blue or water was wet I would have to check another source; perhaps Ronald McDonald.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Like most people I have met on this forum this Canadian prefers the truth. I get my international news from multiple sources and my National news from all the national sources. I prefer one local station for local news because they make it fun.

There is one network in the USA that is the propaganda broadcaster for the "leader" of that nation. I will not listen to that, their grasp of the truth is very poor.  If that particular outfit reported that the sky was blue or water was wet I would have to check another source; perhaps Ronald McDonald.

With the American news , I think the term is dumbing down.

I didn’t comprehend the term until I had been there.