SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

13 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

May be an opportunity for a US based cruise line (or for Silversea to move from the Bahamas)

While it might be called "an opportunity" for cruise lines such as Silversea to switch and become US-based, I am 100% with our Philadelphia-suburban friend, cruiseej, to agree that it will never happen.  WHY?  Money, rules and costs!!!  It would very expensive to follow and be under the many rules and regulations if US-based.  Would not happen!  Customers would NOT be happy to experience those conditions and to pay much more.  

As I understand, the various US labor laws for such passenger ships are very complex and challenging.  As an example for a ship or two operating in Hawaii under these types of tighter rules, it does not result in a highly-positive experience.  Any others have background or details to share?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,109 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Thanks 1

Here is a new "TWIST" about the various challenges and issues facing the various cruise lines as they seek to resume some form of world-wide "normal operations".  Lining up their crew and meeting ALL of the various rules and regulations is not always simple, quick and easy.  Right or wrong?

From the below-linked web news source today, they had this headline: “French cruise ship Le Lapérouse stuck off coast of New Caledonia, low on fuel after being denied entry to New Zealand” with these highlights: “A cruise ship turned away from New Zealand is now stuck off the coast of New Caledonia, low on fuel with a significant storm approaching and no permission to dock.  Le Laperouse has an economic exemption to come to New Zealand for the cruise season but was last week refused entry after Immigration denied 61 of its 90 crew visas because they are not considered essential workers.  The Government says the ship left Jakarta before its paperwork was processed, but the boat's owner believes it, and the crew were given the all-clear to come.   Ponant Cruises' Asia Pacific boss Sarina Bratton told Checkpoint the boat had travelled 3600 nautical miles to get to New Zealand.”

Full story at:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2021/02/french-cruise-ship-le-lap-rouse-stuck-off-coast-of-new-caledonia-low-on-fuel-after-being-denied-entry-to-new-zealand.html

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,735 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Like 1

Our state's Governor in Ohio has opened up vaccines for our age group.  Excellent news and progress!  My wife and I just got our first shot of the Moderna vaccine.  Easy and simple.  Done at one of our nearby Kroger grocery pharmacies.  We were "jabbed" by their experienced pharmacist.  He explained that they use a high-quality needle and that this "detail" helped make the injection go in very smoothly and without any pain.  To be honest, I did not feel a thing.  When you go for your shot, also make sure you wear a short-sleeved shirt as this makes the prep easier and quicker.

Now, there will be the questions as to how will, after we get the second shot in late February, the vaccine effectiveness and protections will extend?  For how long?  And, against future Covid variations/mutations?  My wife also has some immune system issues and that adds to our future vaccine effectiveness question list.  Good to have our first shot, but it is still unclear as to  how this affects our futrure timing and abilities to travel and sail in the next year or two.   

Anyone else having received their initial Covid vaccine shot?  Or, know all of the answers for these various vaccine questions?

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 37,277 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Here is a little "selfie" as I received my first "JAB".  Good news!!  Will receive my second Covid-19 vaccine shot in late February.  The shot was easy, simple and painless.  No soreness, after-effects, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

IMG_5715.jpeg.04a63158d016e1bab111c68279bf4a8b.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Terry; happy to hear y'all got your first Covid Vaccine dose.  Got my first dose last Friday and like you will get (Pfizer BioNTech) second dose end of February.

Some of the articles I've read are saying we could have a year, two or three of immunity from Covid after taking the Vaccine.  Not enough empirical data to know the immunity length yet.  The article below believes we will need to take an annual vaccine.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/length-of-covid-19-vaccine-immunity-5094857

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WesW said:

Hi Terry; happy to hear y'all got your first Covid Vaccine dose.  Got my first dose last Friday and like you will get (Pfizer BioNTech) second dose end of February.

Some of the articles I've read are saying we could have a year, two or three of immunity from Covid after taking the Vaccine.  Not enough empirical data to know the immunity length yet.  The article below believes we will need to take an annual vaccine.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/length-of-covid-19-vaccine-immunity-5094857

Got my first one on Friday too Wes. Interesting news coming out of Israel about their mega vaccine roll out already reducing infection and illness. Perhaps there is hope for us at last.

• Like 2

Glad to hear Mrs. Silver and you also got your first Vaccine doses too Mr. Silver.

Finally, thinking of booking another SS cruise.   Today, we have a tremendous offer from our TA, allowing us to book any SS cruise from now until March 2022; $500 suite discount, $1000 deposit, and free laundry.  Really like the C2C Explorer voyage next March but the Wind (USH to Buenos Aires) is even more attractive including So. Georgia islands w/o a Drake passage.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 8:10 PM, WesW said:

Glad to hear Mrs. Silver and you also got your first Vaccine doses too Mr. Silver.

Finally, thinking of booking another SS cruise.   Today, we have a tremendous offer from our TA, allowing us to book any SS cruise from now until March 2022; $500 suite discount, $1000 deposit, and free laundry.  Really like the C2C Explorer voyage next March but the Wind (USH to Buenos Aires) is even more attractive including So. Georgia islands w/o a Drake passage.

Sounds good Wes. Mrs Silver got hers last August as part of the Oxford/Astra trial!

I guess this is the time it would be better if I was older.  I am 62 and am still too young to be

any group who is eligible for a vaccine.   Happy for those of you who are able to get one.  I have no clue when I will be eligible. (they are only doing folks 65 and up here) 

I keep checking.......hopefully in the next couple of months.

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I guess this is the time it would be better if I was older.  I am 62 and am still too young to be

any group who is eligible for a vaccine.   Happy for those of you who are able to get one.  I have no clue when I will be eligible. (they are only doing folks 65 and up here) 

I keep checking.......hopefully in the next couple of months.

We're in the category as you.  I'm 58 and DH is 59. We have no underlying conditions.  I'm guessing we'll be April/May.  I think what matters is what % of the population is deciding to take the vaccine.  60% is a different timeline of 40%.  I read an alarming statistic that only 38% of nursing home staff are accepting the vaccine??   60% of 330 million vs 40% of 330 million.  And maybe 60 million under 18 who are not eligible ( yet).  I think that is the difference between April and May,  acceptance %.

this is a table of population of US by age.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

Lois don't quote me but I think it may be sooner than 2 months!

Joseph

Hi Joseph, maybe in some states but here in Florida?  I won't hold my breath.  If you told me

March (which is next month), I highly doubt it.  I mean I hope I am wrong of course, but we

are a slow road here.........

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

We're in the category as you.  I'm 58 and DH is 59. We have no underlying conditions.  I'm guessing we'll be April/May.  I think what matters is what % of the population is deciding to take the vaccine.  60% is a different timeline of 40%.  I read an alarming statistic that only 38% of nursing home staff are accepting the vaccine??   60% of 330 million vs 40% of 330 million.  And maybe 60 million under 18 who are not eligible ( yet).  I think that is the difference between April and May,  acceptance %.

this is a table of population of US by age.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

I saw the same thing about the care givers at nursing homes........seems many of them don't

want to take the vaccine. Maybe they will change their tune when they see it works!

On 2/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, WesW said:

Could you pm me with info pls?

Many very good comments, sharings and follow-ups on this thread.  Keep up these excellent postings.  Great summary above Doc Ruth saying "If everything had gone perfectly, it’d have still be a long slow slog forward. It hasn’t gone perfectly. We just have to have some confidence that governments will get hold of the public health ramifications, international travel issues, and that the travel companies will step up!"

From MSN News and Business Insider this morning, they had this headline: “2 American cruise lines announced they will require all guests and crew members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine” with these highlights: “The American Queen Steamboat Company and Victory Cruise Lines have announced they will require their guests and crew members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for sailings starting July 1. Crew members and guests will both need to provide proof of the vaccination in order to sail.  The American Queen Steamboat Company and Victory Cruise Lines' July 1 vaccination deadline may seem soon, but the two companies aren't worried about this upcoming date.  According to the cruise lines, the majority of American Queen Steamboat and Victory cruisers are over the age of 65, therefore making them eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine before the majority of the US. However, if someone isn't able to get their jabs before their trip, the companies will rebook the guest for a later date.”

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/2-american-cruise-lines-announced-they-will-require-all-guests-and-crew-members-to-receive-the-covid-19-vaccine/ar-BB1do9mF

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,437 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From FOX Business News this morning, they had this headline: “Coronavirus complications may delay 'significant' Florida cruise activity for a year or more, lobbyist says” with these highlights: “Most cruises from Florida might not set sail for another year or more, according to a lobbying group dedicated to the niche business sector.  In a Senate Transportation Committee meeting on Feb. 2, the Florida Ports Council stressed that cruise lines and the ports they debark from are working hard to meet an 'onerous' slew of requirements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in order to safely set sail again in the future.   The Florida-based lobbying group is a nonprofit that serves 15 public seaports in the state and their management teams.  'The shutdown of the cruise industry – it remains the only industry that is not allowed to operate in the United States. And that has a significant impact on Florida,' Rubin told the committee. 'We’re trying to work with the CDC to get [these] operations back up and running… It keeps getting pushed back, I wish I could tell you a date.' 'I’m not sure we’ll have significant cruise operations until perhaps next year and even beyond that,'  Rubin added, which could spell trouble for those who once worked in the industry.”

Fascinating story!!??  Not too positive or hopeful from a key represenative of the cruise-related industry.  Right or wrong??   Agree/disagree??  Clearly the CDC is going to be very demanding as to when and how they will allow any type of cruise re-opening,

Full story at:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-complications-suspend-florida-cruise-activity-lobbyist

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,400 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Washington Post , they had this headline: “Coronavirus vaccine: What can I safely do?” with these highlights: “The arrival of coronavirus vaccines is beginning to have an impact on everyday life, with millions of newly inoculated Americans eagerly anticipating a return to long-postponed activities and visits with sorely missed relatives and friends. But with Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, warning that vaccinations are not a 'pass,' the recently inoculated are engaged in a new round of complicated risk-benefit assessments. What can I safely do? Where can I go? And how do I interact with people who are not vaccinated?  The answers aren’t simple.  Grandparents who once hunkered down at home, most vulnerable to a virus that preys on the elderly, are likely to be better protected than younger relatives who are waiting to be vaccinated.   Experts agree broadly on many issues people have questions about. But they differ on details and lack some important information. They still don’t know, for example, whether people who are vaccinated can get asymptomatic infections and pass them on to those who are not inoculated — which is why they urge people to continue to wear masks and practice social distancing even after receiving their shots. Scientists also are racing to determine how much protection vaccines offer against the highly transmissible variants popping up in the United States.  One thing is clear: Reports of mutated coronaviruses are fueling anxiety and confusion in a populace already worn out by conflicting advice on a pandemic that has been raging for nearly a year in the United States.  Many public health experts say while vaccinated people can enjoy a bit more freedom — flying while masked, for example, is far less of a risk after inoculation — behavior should not change much. Besides the concern that inoculated people might serve as carriers of the virus, they note a small number might still get covid-19 while the virus is circulating so widely, although the chances of hospitalization or death are low.”

This story answers a number important questions, BUT, raises many more new uncertainties.  The more we learn, is it a case of knowing less?  

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/02/01/vaccinated-people-precautions/

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,399 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

14 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Canada has just banned cruises for a year - that’ll put a dent in possible itineraries. 

Appreciate the great "Eagle Eye" News Hawk efforts by Jolly Jones!!  That's a very big hit/loss for the cruise industry.  Sure glad in the 2019 summer that we were able to do our western Canada, Vancouver and Silver Muse sailing up to Alaska.  Great fun adventure!!

From the former USA Today cruise expert Gene Sloan in the past half hour, he had this story headline: “Canada bans cruise ships for the rest of the year, effectively ending Alaska’s cruise season before it begins” with these highlights: “In a blow to the cruise industry’s efforts to restart operations, the Canadian government on Thursday banned cruise ships from its waters for the rest of the year, citing the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.  The midday announcement effectively ends this year’s Alaska cruise season before it even begins and will also stop any sailings to the Canadian Maritimes and the Arctic until 2022.  The ban will remain in effect until Feb. 28, 2022, and is an extension of an already existing prohibition on cruise ship visits that has been in effect since the coronavirus pandemic began.  It prohibits any cruise vessel carrying 100 or more people from operating in Canadian waters.”

Here are more details: "The ban is likely to force most cruise lines to cancel upcoming sailings to Alaska, as many cruise lines rely on Canadian ports to make Alaska itineraries viable.  By law, foreign-flagged cruise ships cannot cruise in American waters without stopping at least once per voyage at a foreign port. What this means for Alaska cruising, on a practical level, is that the ships operated by Princess Cruises, Holland America, Royal Caribbean and most other big players in the region cannot cruise there unless their itineraries include at least one stop in Canada. Most big cruise lines flag their ships in foreign countries."

Full story at:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/canada-2021-cruise-ban-alaska/

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Musse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

From the New York Times late this afternoon, they had this headline: “Coming Soon: The ‘Vaccine Passport’ ” with these highlights: “Among governments and those in the travel industry, a new term has entered the vocabulary: vaccine passport.   One of President Biden’s executive orders aimed at curbing the pandemic asks government agencies to 'assess the feasibility' of linking coronavirus vaccine certificates with other vaccination documents, and producing digital versions of them.  Denmark’s government said on Wednesday that in the next three to four months, it will roll out a digital passport that will allow citizens to show they have been vaccinated.  It isn’t just governments that are suggesting vaccine passports. In a few weeks, Etihad Airways and Emirates will start using a digital travel pass, developed by the International Air Transport Association, to help passengers manage their travel plans and provide airlines and governments documentation that they have been vaccinated or tested for Covid-19.  The challenge right now is creating a document or app that is accepted around the world, that protects privacy and is accessible to people regardless of their wealth or access to smartphones.”

Here are a couple of key questions this NYT story answers:  "Why would I need a vaccine pass or passport?   As more people are inoculated, there will likely be aspects of public life in which only people who have been vaccinated are allowed to participate. Take the upcoming Super Bowl LV in Tampa, Fla., where a significant portion of attendees will be vaccinated health care workers. (Mr. Careen of I.A.T.A. said that sporting organizations, concert venues and tourism agencies have all reached out for identification tech support.)  In order to travel internationally, government and health authorities will need to know if you have been vaccinated or have tested negative for the virus.  Has this been done before?  Having to prove you’ve been vaccinated in order to participate in activities or enter certain countries is not a new concept. For decades, people traveling to some countries have had to prove that they have been vaccinated against diseases such as yellow fever, rubella and cholera. Often, after being vaccinated, travelers received a signed and stamped 'yellow card,' known as an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still urge people to take on relevant trips."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/travel/coronavirus-vaccine-passports.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,872 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

GOOD NEWS!!  

From the Wall Street Journal tonight, they had this headline: “Johnson & Johnson Submits One-Shot Covid-19 Vaccine for FDA Authorization” with these highlights: “Johnson & Johnson on Thursday said it submitted an application seeking emergency use authorization for its single-dose Covid-19 vaccine candidate to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.  The company also said it is ready to begin shipping upon authorization and expects to supply 100 million doses to the U.S. in the first half of 2021.”

AND, even better is that the J&J vaccine only requires a single shot!!

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/johnson-johnson-seeks-emergency-use-vaccine-authorization-11612480550?mod=hp_lead_pos1

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 241,299 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

We(the USA) are currently vaccinating 1.3 million people per day. In 60 days we should have close to 75 million people vaccinated with at least one dose. There have been 27 million test confirmed cases of COVID 19. Likely 100 million total cases by some estimates. So 175 million people will have some degree of immunity. More than half  the population. I think this might make some dent in  the ability of the virus to spread. And will definitely prevent serious illness. Which has been the point all along.  Numbers have already dropped by 50%. We are on a good path now. The glass is half full folks! 

• Like 3