SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

On 12/29/2020 at 2:58 PM, QueSeraSera said:

As Randyk found, at least one limitation is a shortage of qualified staff. 

Our pharmacist gives us our flu shot every year. And someone on another board said her daughter is a pharmacy assistant is being trained to do it. The former = super. The latter = I'm not so keen about. Since every thing can cause an anaphylactic shock reaction (rare but still) I'm hoping for some training pre/during/post.

• Like 2

Need Some Help with Decision

Hi,  I am booked on a 37 day two leg cruise on 2/9/0222 to 3/18/2022 from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale.  When I booked it there was a special promotion offering an additional 10% off, if paid for by 12/30/2020.  So net would be getting 25% off-the promotion, +the Early Booking Bonus, plus the Venetian Society discount.  Silversea hasn't contacted me about the promotion payment yet.  My dilemma is as follows, (I think I just answered my own question but still would appreciate it if you could shoot holes in my logic). If I pay now to get the extra 10% I would also buy trip insurance, which is 10.5 % of the cost.  So I would be out the extra 10% off.  Or I can wait until 120 days before the cruise and pay in full and just get a 10% Early Booking bonus and the 5% VS.  I would still get insurance.  So either way it seems that all I am left with is the 5% VS discount.  This is all too complicated.  That's the financial end of it.

On the other side is whether I should be booking an early 2022 cruise at all.  Especially one that makes four stops in Brazil.  It is too easy to say just book it and get the insurance.  But that doesn't quite work.  For the insurance to kick in, without major illness, the cruise would have to be cancelled by SS.  It is totally possible for them to go ahead with the cruise and leave out ports where there might be problems.  Which could be a lot of them.  So I could be looking at 37 days with a lot of sea days  

Sorry to bother you all with this.  Its way too complicated.  But I am confused as hell as to what to do.  Thanks

I put a deposit down on a March 2022 cruise and hoping it sails!  It is a TA crossing and 

really looking forward to it🙂.  So to me? 2022 is not too soon!....not soon enough for me!

There has been a lot of good information about COVID on this thread. However, if everyone waits to cruise until 2023,  there may not be any Cruise Lines left that we would travel on.  In April and May,  the CDC and other medical professionals said it would be late 2021 or early 2022 before vaccines would be available.  One week after the US Elections that changed.  Now we are faced with the same crew handling the distribution;  what could go wrong!?  The expectation is that will improve dramatically in the coming weeks. As for booking a Cruise now,  it's all about the the risk.  I don't blame anyone for not taking it.  We're hoping this September is a go.

5 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Or I can wait until 120 days before the cruise and pay in full and just get a 10% Early Booking bonus and the 5% VS.

The EBB is only for bookings paid in full by the end of the promotion.  So, you cannot wait until 120-days before your voyage to pay in full and get the EBB.  

59 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

The EBB is only for bookings paid in full by the end of the promotion.  So, you cannot wait until 120-days before your voyage to pay in full and get the EBB.  

Thanks for the info.  Now I am a little less confused.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:52 AM, Lois R said:

Let us hope science/education does play a positive part. I plan on getting a shot and hope others will too.

Isn't that the whole point? Just because cases come down does not mean

skipping the vaccine is a good thing.   I don't know when one will be available for my "age group" but I will definitely get one.

I am 62 and have various underlying conditions but the way Florida

is going right now? I am not waiting on line for 8 hours..........the pictures of the sr citizens down in South Florida are awful---they were waiting on line for hours

and hours..........

The system has changed here in Collier & Lee Counties.  No one needs to wait (actually they can’t ) wait in line for hours.  All vaccinations are done by appointment. You can either make it online (Collier Cty) or by phone (Lee Cty).  It’s not easy but there are no lines any longer.  It may be frustrating to get your appointment but at least it’s something better.  

2 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Not be overall callous, but the banks aren’t going to want all those empty cruise ships once they repossess them. Somebody will start/restart cruising. 

Not callous at all, but the choices  may be slim

15 hours ago, chrism23 said:

When I booked it there was a special promotion offering an additional 10% off, if paid for by 12/30/2020.  So net would be getting 25% off-the promotion, +the Early Booking Bonus, plus the Venetian Society discount.  Silversea hasn't contacted me about the promotion payment yet.

If the deadline for payment was December 30, then it's on you to pay them on time; you don't get to wait for them to contact you. So your question seems moot: you missed the 12/30/20 deadline, and the 10% promotion is no longer available. 

On the other hand, the promotion is 20% if paid by the end of February -- so essentially the same thing. You just have to find out if your cruises qualify, and if you can roll your booking to a new one to qualify for the current promotion.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:29 PM, chrism23 said:

Disagree.  From the standpoint of this group. without a vaccination certificate they aren't going to be getting on any ships without a vaccination.  The same for airlines.  The same for larger public gatherings.  I think exceptions will be made if a person is somehow allergic to vaccines ...

ChrisM,

I’m the last person who should be called an anti-vaxer, considering it was my job to get vaccines to far away places where peeps really needed help. I’m totally for science, period. That work was a long time ago, but I’m very proud of it ...

Given that as a backdrop, I need to put some food for thought out to the thread.

First, comments about exceptions being made for folks potentially allergic to vaccine should be well received. If you have a known increased risk of an anaphylactic shock reaction to the vaccine, you need to discuss that, think carefully about “whether” you decide to accept it, and “where” you have it administered. The “where” is critical because “where” is the place they better have lots more capability than one jab of adrenaline, and a handful of antihistamines. Nobody should criticize. Get your doctor involved!

Second, there are folks who probably can safely accept the vaccine, but it there’s a good chance it  won’t work. If you have any autoimmune disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Addison’s ... really there’s a zillon, so I won’t belabor the point, but if you’re immunocompromised, or being treated with an immunosuppressant, you may not be able to form antibodies. This goes for the new style of drugs like Enbrel and Humira, as well as the older ones like methotrexate and prednisone. Get advice from your doctor!

Two examples, but there are many more.

We need to be kind to the people who are scared of the vaccine, understand that their fears, real or contrived, are their fears. They’re worthy of our compassion, because they may be looking at the end of their international travels, and that really stinks.

Doc Ruth

Edited by docruth
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, docruth said:

ChrisM,

I’m the last person who should be called an anti-vaxer, considering it was my job to get vaccines to far away places where peeps really needed help. I’m totally for science, period. That work was a long time ago, but I’m very proud of it ...

Given that as a backdrop, I need to put some food for thought out to the thread.

First, comments about exceptions being made for folks potentially allergic to vaccine should be well received. If you have a known increased risk of an anaphylactic shock reaction to the vaccine, you need to discuss that, think carefully about “whether” you decide to accept it, and “where” you have it administered. The “where” is critical because “where” is the place they better have lots more capability than one jab of adrenaline, and a handful of antihistamines. Nobody should criticize. Get your doctor involved!

Second, there are folks who probably can safely accept the vaccine, but it there’s a good chance it  won’t work. If you have any autoimmune disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Addison’s ... really there’s a zillon, so I won’t belabor the point, but if you’re immunocompromised, or being treated with an immunosuppressant, you may not be able to form antibodies. This goes for the new style of drugs like Enbrel and Humira, as well as the older ones like methotrexate and prednisone. Get advice from your doctor!

Two examples, but there are many more.

We need to be kind to the people who are scared of the vaccine, understand that their fears, real or contrived, are their fears. They’re worthy of our compassion, because they may be looking at the end of their international travels, and that really stinks.

Doc Ruth

I agree with your reasoning, but in this initial period of building public confidence in travel I suspect the governments around the world will be much less nuanced in their policies.  When I started traveling in the 1960s you had to have a 'Yellow Card' and there were no exceptions for allergies, religious beliefs, whatever – either you had the required shots or you didn't travel.  I expect that 2021 will be like that on this vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope all goes well for your late 2022 booking.2021 will be our first year since 1998 without a SS cruise but your timescale for going again is the Calendar period we are thinking about but lacking your courage to make the booking yet.We both have vaccine dates for next week and once jabbed May take the plunge again with SS. Can’t wait for the Welcome on Board party to meet up with super crew and past ruining friends.Stay safe!

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, docruth said:

Doc Ruth,

Kuddos to you... very well stated.

Joseph

6 hours ago, brimary said:

Hope all goes well for your late 2022 booking.2021 will be our first year since 1998 without a SS cruise but your timescale for going again is the Calendar period we are thinking about but lacking your courage to make the booking yet.We both have vaccine dates for next week and once jabbed May take the plunge again with SS. Can’t wait for the Welcome on Board party to meet up with super crew and past ruining friends.Stay safe!

I cannot believe that you are considering sailing again with SS after all your recent  comments about SS

By the way you both were on the Wind in 2019

Edited by beaujolais
edit
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, beaujolais said:

I cannot believe that you are considering sailing again with SS after all your recent  comments about SS

I really don't recall making any negative comments about Silver Sea.  I have been a consistent Silver Sea supporter.  I have sailed with them 8 times.  Enough days to get free laundry.  They are the best cruise line I have sailed on.  I keep coming back because every cruise has been near perfect.  I have said if 'its not broke don't fix it"  When the virus started I had 3 cruises booked with them.  So I am confused, you must be thinking of someone else or misinterpreting something I said.  

Edited by chrism23