Think Princess cares...Think again

BIGADORF

14 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

To answer rocketman275 that is legalize for "we don't care about what happens to you". Contracts don't automatically take away the concept of value received

equitable

[ ek-wi-tuh-buhl ]SHOW IPA

adjective

characterized by equity or fairness; just and right; fair; reasonable: equitable treatment of all citizens.
Law. 
  1. pertaining to or valid in equity.
  2. pertaining to the system of equity, as distinguished from the common law.

No, but contracts do describe the obligations of all concerned.

I pulled this off of Princess website;  You mentioned you had the Platmium Plan.  It says if you cancel for illness, you get cash refund.  

Princess Vacation Protection – Platinum Plan

You never know what might put your vacation investment at risk. The last thing you want to think about is "what if"" when you're planning your vacation. Princess Vacation Protection can help protect your travel investment against the unexpected from the time you leave until you return home. Here's how...

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program1 - non-insurance services provided by Princess Cruises

Any Reason Cruise Credits

Reimbursement provided in the form of future travel credits if cancellation reason doesn't qualify for a cash refund
100% of
cruise penalty

Cancellation Fee Waiver2

Reimbursement if you need to cancel your trip for illness, injury, death and more
Cash refund up to total
cruise vacation cost

1 For New York residents, the Cancellation Fee Waiver can be purchased separate from the Travel Insurance benefits. Contact 1.888.722.2195 for details.

2 For New York and Washington residents, Trip Cancellation benefits are underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, Ohio (NAIC #23787).

Princess Vacation Protection – Platinum Plan

You never know what might put your vacation investment at risk. The last thing you want to think about is "what if"" when you're planning your vacation. Princess Vacation Protection can help protect your travel investment against the unexpected from the time you leave until you return home. Here's how...

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program1 - non-insurance services provided by Princess Cruises

Any Reason Cruise Credits

Reimbursement provided in the form of future travel credits if cancellation reason doesn't qualify for a cash refund

100% of
cruise penalty

Cancellation Fee Waiver2

Edited by AF-1

I would look at posting your complaint on Princess Facebook page; and their twitter page.  Normally they reply quickly; as they don't want negative publicity.  

47 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I would look at posting your complaint on Princess Facebook page; and their twitter page.  Normally they reply quickly; as they don't want negative publicity.  

Well they don't seem to care about the publicity they are getting about not issuing refunds!

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Does this policy exclude a pre existing condition?  As they initially refused their claim on that basis. Isn’t that why they ended up with a FCC in the first case, and not a cash refund?

13 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

Unfortunately it was an acute flare up in 2019 or she wouldn’t have needed the emergency brain surgery. The whole point of my original post was to show how Princess operates. There are some things that are not within our control, like brain surgery, or Coronavirus, but the idea of not being able to use FCC for uncontrollable circumstances , I should be allowed to get a refund. They have had my money since December 2018, probably rebooked my cabin for the 2019 Cruise and I have absolutely nothing to show for it except a $7600 loss. I am only requesting that I get back what I paid since I received absolutely nothing.

You may have missed my point.  It there wasn't an acute exacerbation of her condition within the 60 days prior of your final payment date, the insurance should have covered it and you could have possibly gotten your money back, but through the insurance company.  I hate to say it but the insurance you purchased covers the medical and if you cancel for any reason, it goes back to Princess for FCCs....and, those are not refundable for cash.  Maybe it's been done in the past (I'm sure someone will chime in if that's the case) but I certainly don't believe you will see it now, as it appears that nobody is getting any cash refunds.  Once you use those FCCs, the third party insurance company doesn't reimburse in those instances, so think wisely before ever accepting those FCCs instead of fighting for the cash.  The contract for the insurance is pretty clear cut in this case ... the cash back is for cancellations for medical and some other limited reasons.   They kick it to Princess for FCCs if you don't qualify for the cash back.  If only we all had better hind sight.  That wasn't meant to be cruel... hey, I'm in the same boat and out more than that right now as well.  Hopefully, they will be able to extend the expiration date or even transfer those FCCs to someone else.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

One of the lessons this experience has taught me is not to so naive as to believe that businesses and people who run those businesses will do the right thing. Instead of making the insurance company, that Princess uses for their insurance, spend the manpower, time and money to my possible legal challenge, I took the high road and said "they will do the right thing" down the road if there is a problem. As for their denying the claim, her brain tumor was probably there since birth, so it was always a preexisting condition.

It only counts as a pre-existing condition if you were treated for it in the 60 days ( some policies are 6 months) prior to you booking the insurance. That brain tumor would not count unless you knew about it within those perimeters. I would get a lawyer if the letters to the agencies you listed do not work. You are intitled to that refund. Don't be so trusting my dear.!

From experience these letters usually achieve very little. I have been battling an injustice and refusal to refund money owed from a powerful agency for over 2 years. 

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

It only counts as a pre-existing condition if you were treated for it in the 60 days ( some policies are 6 months) prior to you booking the insurance. That brain tumor would not count unless you knew about it within those perimeters. I would get a lawyer if the letters to the agencies you listed do not work. You are intitled to that refund. Don't be so trusting my dear.!

From experience these letters usually achieve very little. I have been battling an injustice and refusal to refund money owed from a powerful agency for over 2 years. 

The key is the lookback pediod ... I believe lookback is from the effective date of the policy ... meaning when it was paid for, not when it was added to the booking for future pay 

• Like 1

The facts provided so far do not actually have enough detail to determine if the initial denial was correct or incorrect. We would need to know the dates of booking and purchase of the CFAR and medical policies, and the dates of ANY treatments or symptoms appearing for 60 days prior to the insurance purchase. We would also need to see the date of the cruise, the date of and the content of the initial request for benefits, and the actual denial setting out the reasons.

Note: I am not requesting any of this as it is highly personal info. I am only saying the posts presented so far do not allow a conclusion on whether either the OP or Princess followed the CFAR or med cancellation rules.

Regardless, the OP has definitely provided a lesson in not accepting an FCC if you disagree with a denial of a refund. 

Good luck with the medical fight, too -- definitely of higher importance in the long run. Hope your wife can get the surgery despite the hospital slowdowns on on-COVID care.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good points made by Cruise Raider, mayleeman, pms4104, and gmjc2.  BTW gmjc2; you mentioned you are still fighting insurance company for over two years;  is that correct?

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

All good points made by Cruise Raider, mayleeman, pms4104, and gmjc2.  BTW gmjc2; you mentioned you are still fighting insurance company for over two years;  is that correct?

No I have more important issues I am dealing with right now. 

• Like 2