who would sacrifice their money right now.

jxtgreek

I have the Mardi Gras booked for Feb 6th, but will not be booking anything else until Carnival starts actually sailing again and getting first hand info on the changes as it relates to Covid-19. Heck, I haven't paid anymore on my booking either and won't until they start sailing again.

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We have a cruise booked on the Mardi Gras for February, 2021.  Our final payment due date is in November.  Normally I pay it off sooner.  At this point, I'm holding off until due date, not knowing what the future holds.

This is exactly what we're doing, sailing in Feb 2021 on Mardi Gras also.

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We have a cruise booked on the Mardi Gras for February, 2021.  Our final payment due date is in November.  Normally I pay it off sooner.  At this point, I'm holding off until due date, not knowing what the future holds.

I typically pay the minimum deposit (most of the time $50 per person or half off deposit) at booking and wait until the last week to pay the balance.  I like to keep as much of my money as possible until the due date.  I only pay extra deposit if I do a price saver form and an extra deposit amount is needed.  I just did that to save an additional $250 on our September Breeze cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

NOTHING is ironclad.  Kids won't even be going to school in the fall full-time in Ohio and they're talking about college football not having fans in the stands.  It's Possible.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

While realistically evaluating the virus situation right now, we are taking a break from cruising & won't even consider placing a deposit on any particular sailing for at least 18 to 24 months from now. We'll certainly cruise again, but most likely not until 2023. The smoke has to clear & the dust has to really settle before any money comes out of our pocket. 

😷

Hi Obstructedview2 🙂

My wife & I are taking the same strategy of thinking, in regards to (as you put it) realistically evaluating the situation. We've been cruising since the 80's and have decided that a hiatus from sailing is warranted at this moment in time. 

We've come to the personal conclusion that we will not sail in 2021 at all, and will wait until 2022 before we make any logical decisions.

Practically & rationally speaking, I think our next cruise will be sometime in 2023 as well; and we'll (use) 2022 to plan our next voyage.

Happy sailing!

🌴

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thanna said:

Well it didn’t cost me any more but I am booked on August 1 cruise. It was a rebook of a rebook and I am looking forward to it. 
Guess that makes me part of the “hold my beer” crowd. 
If you want to be lead around like sheep by the media you go right ahead. I will follow the numbers. The numbers tell a much different story than the media. The virus was not as bad In Florida as the “sky is falling “ media wants you to think.

By August we will be good to go. 

Bon voyage.

9 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Exactly because Seabourn cruisers have no intention of being the guinea pigs. That's not how the world works. And that's why those ships are in long-term parking. 

Oh, I think a lot of people come here for facts and guidance. Sadly, some get misdirected by people who care for neither. This isn't optimism, and it surely isn't a character virtue - quite the opposite. "Hope" isn't the same as "false hope."

"There's no way anyone on this board knows what's going to happen" .... well certainly not if they insist on "optimism" as the forecast. Right now, "optimism" is just not the truth in the travel industry. Spreading the false hope, though, encourages people to build false expectations booking cruises that aren't going to happen. 

A lot of people do come for facts and guidance.  But you're also "helping" the people that just want to talk about their cruise.  I don't think anyone, including researchers, including the media, including you, knows enough to say whether it's hope or false hope right now.  We're working off of 6 months max of research on this disease, when most medical research takes at least 2 to 3 times longer to properly execute.  If it's false hope, no one will be sailing on August 1st, but the only thing the people are out is a cancellation.  Optimism isn't the truth in the travel industry--I agree with you there--but we're not travel industry professionals.  All a lot of us want to do is dream about what we're going to do when we can travel again.

But, everyone's got their perspective, so thanks for letting me share mine and thank you for the insight into yours.  It does help me understand where you're coming from.  I think we can all agree that we look forward to getting back to cruising safely, whenever that may be.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:29 AM, Saint Greg said:

I’m going to be booking one later this week but I’ll be using an existing carnival gift card so no new money.

Booked. 12/12 Vista. Cheapest 7 day I’ve booked...and a little bit of a room upgrade from what I normally book.

We rebooked our cancelled cruise for September.  If that one gets cancelled, I will request a refund and wait it out before we try booking again.  I am okay with either scenario playing out.  I’m glad there are people willing to go first.  After a couple weeks of sailings (if they do, indeed sail in August) we should have a general idea of how it is going.  I am okay with losing a few hundred dollars to back out if I don’t like what I am seeing.  

21 hours ago, snookums35 said:

A lot of people do come for facts and guidance.  But you're also "helping" the people that just want to talk about their cruise.  I don't think anyone, including researchers, including the media, including you, knows enough to say whether it's hope or false hope right now.  We're working off of 6 months max of research on this disease, when most medical research takes at least 2 to 3 times longer to properly execute.  If it's false hope, no one will be sailing on August 1st, but the only thing the people are out is a cancellation.  Optimism isn't the truth in the travel industry--I agree with you there--but we're not travel industry professionals.  All a lot of us want to do is dream about what we're going to do when we can travel again.

But, everyone's got their perspective, so thanks for letting me share mine and thank you for the insight into yours.  It does help me understand where you're coming from.  I think we can all agree that we look forward to getting back to cruising safely, whenever that may be.

Yes, we can certainly agree on that final point. Cruising, concerts, MLB games, fireworks shows, even the beach .... there are plenty of things we all want to get back to.

And by the way, thanks for presenting your thoughts in the way you did. 

A counter to one point:

- Making forecasts based on facts is fundamentally different than making forecasts based on wishes or preferences.

(The best tip-off is when people make a point saying "I think that ... ," they'll usually follow with facts. When you hear them start "I feel like this is going to happen ....," they generally have no proof to follow).

So forecasting the likelihood of cruising based on trends in hotels, rental car companies and airlines is simply facing facts (not "gloom and doom," as some have accused). Forecasting based on new health codes, governors' orders, regional economies and CCL's past performance is, similarly, fact-based.  

A superb explanation of this distinction: https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/05/05/coronavirus-evaluating-evidence/3083768001/?fbclid=IwAR03plfx4TPHUx9wSAKnmJYUKxY33df0UwnM8XX_lwEuGB0vrXvMOnMVK_c

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, mouche said:

I have the Mardi Gras booked for Feb 6th, but will not be booking anything else until Carnival starts actually sailing again and getting first hand info on the changes as it relates to Covid-19. Heck, I haven't paid anymore on my booking either and won't until they start sailing again.

What if they do not start by final payment?

I’m already into carnival for quite a bit. 
I ave a cruise booked Aug 29 with final payment due mid July. As of now our cruise is still one of the ones going (maybe)  I’m really thinking about canceling, not because lm worried about cruising. I’m worried about Carnival canceling and getting more of my money when final payment is paid.

• Like 1

Currently have 5 booked for the first time ever, the last three in 2021 and 2022 on brand new ships.  My first two are on Royal for June and August.   Will either take refund or do a lift and shift.  This is a new option which is available through 8/1/20.  You basically take your  current booking and switch it for a similar sailing next year that falls within a 4 week window.  So a July 1 2020 sailing can be shifted to a similar sailing next year from June 1 through  August 1. This allows Royal to keep more money  from people  who might have taken a refund and it also allows people to save substantial dollars depending upon their specific swap.  

Well we have a back to back on the Breeze end of November. I will turn 69 on the cruise and my wife will be 64 during it.  I am concerned at this time but not wanting to over react.  I am going to watch what happens when the cruise industry resumes.  

This virus is pretty wild.   And I believe the cruise lines will clean deep and often but the issue is we can transmit person to person and there is "the rub" as Hamlet would say.  

So the desire of the lines is not to have any covid19 cases on board.  The trouble is I don't believe that is possible.  And CDC is saying that of those that they know have tested positive for the virus, the results are very serious for those over 65.   They say that 31-59 percent will be hospitalized, and 11-31 percent will be in intensive care and 4-11 percent will die.  

If Covid comes onboard it will spread.  Let us say that on the way to the cruise I pickup covid on the way to the terminal and I don't know it.  No symptoms, no temp, no warning and yet I do have it.  And walking down the hallway outside the staterooms next day I say good morning to you with a smile and you catch it in passing.  Now we both have it and throughout the day we are passing it.  The sick bay will soon start getting cases. And the ship will go into quarantine.   And some passengers will get very sick and some will die.

What I am saying with all this is the older cruisers must be extremely cautious.   And if you are younger, (bet you never thought that you would be called younger in your 30s 40s or 50s then please support cruising and keep it alive for the seniors.  We will join you later when there is a defeat of this plague. Maybe it will mutate itself outta existence like Sars and Mers. Maybe there will be a vaccine in september or next january.  I don't know but this will end one day.  I just look forward to hearing "Welcome aboard".  

• Like 1

Maybe by the time the cruises start back, some type of rapid testing will be available.  This looks promising:

"Though there is currently no known scientific cure for the disease known as COVID-19, researchers at the U.S.'s most advanced military agency has designed a coronavirus test that can identify people before they come infectious, according to a media report.

Described as a potential "game-changer," the test came from a project at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) that was initially designed for diagnosing those who have become poisoned by chemical warfare, The Guardian reports. It was repurposed for the coronavirus pandemic and may be able to detect the presence of the virus in as little as 24 hours after a person is infected."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/darpa-game-changer-coronavirus-test-thats-waiting-emergency-approval-report-says

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

While realistically evaluating the virus situation right now, we are taking a break from cruising & won't even consider placing a deposit on any particular sailing for at least 18 to 24 months from now. We'll certainly cruise again, but most likely not until 2023. The smoke has to clear & the dust has to really settle before any money comes out of our pocket. 

😷

Unfortunately I also will be taking a break from cruising for at least 2-3  years as precaution due to health concerns.  I had my  Legend cruise cancelled for May, then my Sept Radiance cruise cancelled in Sept.  Both out of New York.  I look forward to cruising with Carnival again.  Hopefully there is a proven vaccine approved sooner than later and things can get back as close to normal a possible.  Stay safe and healthy everyone.😎

• Like 2

We already had a cruise booked for 2021. We moved our cancelled cruise balance over to pay off plus received 600$ cruise credit on a chance our cruise for 2021 wont be cancelled.  Given what we know now we would not have booked it as it will most likely get cancelled- -- too many different countries involved. . If we didn't have any cruises booked, we wouldn't be booking now that is for sure. We've considered taking a break from cruising for quite some time and get back to our long fishing trips we used to do. Hopefully we will know if our 2021 cruise is cancelled by years end.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 10:13 AM, jxtgreek said:

Even though Carnival announced cruises starting in August who in would put even $1 on a deposit for a cruise.  With all the news and the difficulties with being socially distant nearly impossible on a ship I find it hard to believe that things will ever be the same.  I am platinum on Carnival and we cruise at least 3 times a year.  Already had one cruise canceled.  I have the Radiance booked the end of November but who knows....I rolled my cruise credit from March to this cruise.  I wish I took the refund but I will not risk anymore money until I see how things will work.

The OP's point seems even more powerful now. 

It is amusing to read back on everyone who was so positive that they were going to cruise this summer.  The  virus is dangerous and unpredictable and isn't going away anytime soon.   It is especially dangerous to the cruising population that is top heavy with older folks  (like  myself) due to its ease of contagion.  It's going to be a long time for folks to feel comfortable cruising. Maybe years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:13 AM, jxtgreek said:

Even though Carnival announced cruises starting in August who in would put even $1 on a deposit for a cruise.  With all the news and the difficulties with being socially distant nearly impossible on a ship I find it hard to believe that things will ever be the same.  I am platinum on Carnival and we cruise at least 3 times a year.  Already had one cruise canceled.  I have the Radiance booked the end of November but who knows....I rolled my cruise credit from March to this cruise.  I wish I took the refund but I will not risk anymore money until I see how things will work.

I would and placed a third on hold for next year with my PVP yesterday for next year. Just waiting on Monday confirmation of August cancelation.. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:22 AM, ctsharpie05 said:

Not me! I had my May cruise cancelled. Transferred the FCC to a cruise in July and the remainder paid off my October cruise & gave me $650 OBC. Well, July was cxld yesterday and I opted for the refund this time. Once cruising starts I am thinking about re-booking for next year but I will need my refund first. I was reading the RC board and many people got refunds within 2 weeks. Carnival's slowness is unacceptable. 

That is not true with many people.  I lifted and shifted my Harmony cruise in November to Symphony of the Seas November 2021.  I was due almost $1,000 in dining, drink and internet packages.  That was on May 20 and I still have not received my refund.  I think all cruise lines are being slow in refunding money.