Social distancing on a cruise ship

7 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Seriously?

Is everything a war in America?

President claims he is a war time President.  Don't know about everything, but the pandemic is considered a war.

• Like 2

Wearing facial covering is a PROACTIVE and a life saving measure.  It's inevitable most of us will sneeze or cough in the relative future, when that happens, most subconsciously bring their hands into their face and will most likely touch things including their smartphone prior to sanitizing/washing their hands, if they even bother to do so.  You're welcome to brag that you haven't sneezed/coughed ever in life or that you never do so in your hands; lowest common denominator here that the overwhelming majority do.  They say simply people touch their face an average of 20 times a day.  That sneeze or cough could be "routine" allergies, but without a 14 day quarantine or effective vaccine, what if you're wrong?  I don't know about you, I wouldn't want to be the sole person to infect people on a cruise ship because I contracted it at the embarkment ports hotels breakfast and was able to embark because I didn't have a fever.  As soon as people start testing positive on cruise ships, ports will shut down to all cruise ships as rumors are Hawaii is now saying no cruising this year.  Every cruise line says their investing in extensive testing, what happens when the doctor has to tell corporate that someone tested positive?  Due to the port closure risk, would a positive even be made public?

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 5:38 PM, jsn55 said:

How could any cruise line publish a plan of any kind at this time? 

A cruise ship is a floating hotel, they can look at what hotels and resorts plan to do. That would be a good start

• Like 2

No way will there be 'social distancing' on a cruise ship.  They may as well wait till the virus is gone to start sailing again if anyone thinks there's going to be social distancing and people wearing face masks on a cruise ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

No way will there be 'social distancing' on a cruise ship.  They may as well wait till the virus is gone to start sailing again if anyone thinks there's going to be social distancing and people wearing face masks on a cruise ship.

Not sure about social distancing but masks on a cruise its totally gonna happen, at least for a while.

• Like 1

Cruise ships have to submit their rules and rule enforcement plans to local regulators in order to sail again.  Without social distancing (and other precautions), even in the extreme off chance they could somehow find a port allowing embarkment/disembarkment, most ports would ban cruise ships.  Cruises to no where may work for the minority but for the overwhelming majority, they book to see the world and if word gets out that they are banned from ports, future bookings would be greatly reduced.  Its going to be to social distancing whenever possible but its impossible to be everywhere.  Expect reduced capacity, social distancing stickers on the floor and Plexiglas dividers everywhere.  Even when this is eradicated, this taught us we have to be on standby for the next one.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

regarding the comment above about state parks opening with no bathrooms open. how can the govt with a straight face think that is sanitary and what they they really expect people to do. keep the parks closed if you dont have bathrooms geez.

i do love the NCL response about keeping chairs apart. if they cemented teh chairs 6 ft apart id be on that deck all day  every day. i avoid all pool decks in normal times because being shoulder to shoulder with people is not my idea of a vacation. 

• Like 2

As an alternate to those BK Specials - how about these face shield, can be easily 3D printed using "easy" to find clear shielding material ... reusable, wipe clean & disinfect, air dry & viola ...  Our dental department uses these as part of their PPE since they generate plenty of aerosol and airborne droplets with their procedures daily, in addition to protection against fluid & splashes, etc. 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611UJewvhFL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

As an alternate to those BK Specials - how about these face shield, can be easily 3D printed using "easy" to find clear shielding material ... reusable, wipe clean & disinfect, air dry & viola ...  Our dental department uses these as part of their PPE since they generate plenty of aerosol and airborne droplets with their procedures daily, in addition to protection against fluid & splashes, etc. 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611UJewvhFL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

My printing company, designed, produced and donated 25K of these........

You can literally put them in the dishwasher

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:03 AM, drvmywifecrzy said:

If I am not infected, how is a mask stopping me from spreading a disease I don't have

Do you know what "asymptomatic" means? If you don't I'm not going to attack you for it, it takes courage and integrity to admit you don't know something, ask, and then go to bed smarter. 

The fact you can spread COVID-19 while showing NO symptoms (no fever, no cough, not even a sniffle) is the MOST dangerous thing about this new virus. It's VERY different from influenza, where you can usually be safe with the "if you feel sick stay home" approach. Same goes for norovirus. 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2020 at 5:03 AM, drvmywifecrzy said:

If I am not infected, how is a mask stopping me from spreading a disease I don't have

But........you do not know you are infected if you are asymptomatic. Wear it so you will be sure you won't spread Covid to anyone.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wearing facial covering is a PROACTIVE and a life saving measure.  It's inevitable most of us will sneeze or cough in the relative future, when that happens, most subconsciously bring their hands into their face and will most likely touch things including their smartphone prior to sanitizing/washing their hands, if they even bother to do so.  You're welcome to brag that you haven't sneezed/coughed ever in life or that you never do so in your hands; lowest common denominator here that the overwhelming majority do.  They say simply people touch their face an average of 20 times a day.  That sneeze or cough could be "routine" allergies, but without a 14 day quarantine or effective vaccine, what if you're wrong?  I don't know about you, I wouldn't want to be the sole person to infect people on a cruise ship because I contracted it at the embarkment ports hotels breakfast and was able to embark because I didn't have a fever.  As soon as people start testing positive on cruise ships, ports will shut down to all cruise ships as rumors are Hawaii is now saying no cruising this year.  Every cruise line says their investing in extensive testing, what happens when the doctor has to tell corporate that someone tested positive?  Due to the port closure risk, would a positive even be made public?

Uh.....how about breathing? We all breathe. Droplets escape from the nose and mouth when people breathe.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, Comi.uy said:

Not sure about social distancing but masks on a cruise its totally gonna happen, at least for a while.

Masks are going to be mandatory at theme parks such as Disney and Universal among many others. Why not on cruise ships?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Uh.....how about breathing? We all breathe. Droplets escape from the nose and mouth when people breathe.

Of course.  The reason I pointing out sneezing/coughing is because people usually do so in their hands then without realizing it, could be contaminating anything they touch.  Sneeze into your hands, remember after the fact that you shouldn't have done so and need to wash your hands, on the way to the nearest restroom you receive a smartphone notification, check your phone put it back in your pocket that's now potentially contaminated.

48 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Masks are going to be mandatory at theme parks such as Disney and Universal among many others. Why not on cruise ships?

Im hopefully by august , these inforced mask rules will loosen. 

already lifted in parts of florida

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/2020/05/28/pinellas-lifts-virus-restrictions-on-beaches-pools-and-playgrounds/

• Like 1

Conde Nast Traveler has an article about the Caribbean opening up to travel.

Caribbean Islands Will Begin Reopening to Americans in June

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/caribbean-islands-will-begin-reopening-to-americans-in-june?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=cnt&utm_mailing=CNT_Daily_PM_053020&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5c33a8a02ddf9c392a7bfd11&cndid=39364381&hasha=d8359802d8ee567de47d91f267a5dfd0&hashb=db39cee632e779ece00c60a3474958b38bcf99a3&hashc=a12efa037dadc8173d919a271c135fb9d7c79a2b489037fc80770ecb439d4fb8&esrc=AUTO_OTHER&utm_content=Final&utm_term=CNT_Daily

However it appears that the reopening will involve fairly substantial restrictions

Travelers to the Caribbean will either be tested on arrival or have to present proof of a negative virus test taken 48 hours before boarding. St. Lucia and Antigua fall into the latter camp

Once there, visitors will be expected to wear masks and practice distancing in public places across the region.

• Haha 1

Well, for all of you who trust and follow recommendations of the World Health Organization.... On March 9 WHO announced the following:

"If you do not have any respiratory symptoms, such as fever, cough, or runny nose, you do not need to wear a medical mask. When used alone, masks can give you a false feeling of protection and can even be a source of infection when not used correctly."

Watch a video DIRECTLY from the source...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HavenHater55 said:

Great. So now do you get how wearing a mask substantially reduces the risk of you transmitting COVID-19 (unknowingly) to other people?

He actually "got it" the entire time. He's a troll looking for attention. 

39 minutes ago, Aldeya said:

Well, for all of you who trust and follow recommendations of the World Health Organization.... On March 9 WHO announced the following:

"If you do not have any respiratory symptoms, such as fever, cough, or runny nose, you do not need to wear a medical mask. When used alone, masks can give you a false feeling of protection and can even be a source of infection when not used correctly."

Watch a video DIRECTLY from the source...

Yes, the point was that was March. It's almost June. That's 3 months - a LIFETIME when it comes to scientific research.

I just don't understand the people that say "Because scientists weren't 100% right about every single thing they said in the process of learning about a new virus that was entirely unknown to the scientific community before a few months ago - they must not know what they're talking about."