Social distancing on a cruise ship

1 hour ago, cruz-control said:

But the virus doesn't know that.

thats why as i think i have mentioned before that if you need to wear masks then cruising is not safe to cruise but life needs to go on and we cant continue living with all these restrictions

So my thoughts are if  the rest of the industries are getting back up and running ie hospitality etc without masks then cruises should be able to as well.  I adhere to what is required with social distancing and hand washing and i do think that is enough to be able to live life and enjoy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fandash said:

thats why as i think i have mentioned before that if you need to wear masks then cruising is not safe to cruise but life needs to go on and we cant continue living with all these restrictions

So my thoughts are if  the rest of the industries are getting back up and running ie hospitality etc without masks then cruises should be able to as well.  I adhere to what is required with social distancing and hand washing and i do think that is enough to be able to live life and enjoy

But most hospitality is NOT going on without masks. Most require masks. Cruise lines MUST require masks. 

And in places stupid enough not to require masks, thousands of people are infected EVERY DAY. 

The vast majority of people don’t social distance. From the grocery store to restaurants to resorts. People are so self important that the won’t wait,,, the just reach over your shoulder to grab an item off a shelf.

People will stand next to each other drinking (I.e., with masks off) a cocktail at a resort. They make fun of social distancing dots on the floor. They will not wait for an elevator to adhere to the 4 person max rules. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

But most hospitality is NOT going on without masks. Most require masks. Cruise lines MUST require masks. 

And in places stupid enough not to require masks, thousands of people are infected EVERY DAY. 

The vast majority of people don’t social distance. From the grocery store to restaurants to resorts. People are so self important that the won’t wait,,, the just reach over your shoulder to grab an item off a shelf.

People will stand next to each other drinking (I.e., with masks off) a cocktail at a resort. They make fun of social distancing dots on the floor. They will not wait for an elevator to adhere to the 4 person max rules. 

You have hit the nail on the head as to why there will not be cruises in the foreseeable future.  Too many people not willing to take the proper safeguards while enjoying a cruise.  I absolutely hate that it makes no sense to take a cruise until we get covid under control or until people adapt and collectively change their behavior but it is what it is.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

well in the UK it is not mandatory to wear masks in bars /restaurants

it is mandatory to wear them on public transport and in retail

And imo "majority of people are not so self important" as you said. Of course you will get the odd few but not majority.

But i just think a lot of people are just wanting to get on with life instead of being scared to go out

However i see people waiting in queue at retail with masks in hand or in their bag and  talking to people (not social distancing i may add) then put mask on to go in the shop...actually is that gonna work for the people who feel people should be wearing masks....mmmm

I think a lot of the stuff we are reading  and hearing are scaremongering in my honest opinion....just saying

• Like 3

These observations are why we canceled our November cruise.  Even if it does not get canceled by NCL,  it will be within the first month of restart and we will be what is required and how people behave and how it works to get a meal or a seat on the deck or take an elevator.  Hoping it all settles out after a few months.

Edited by PelicanBill

I know of no hotel or restaurant  that doesn't require masks or doing social distancing other than the idiot bar owners that don't care, then wonder why they're closed down because of cases directly attributed to them.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, seaman11 said:

i was at a hotel at the beach in NC and workers were not wearing masks and only a few customers were, a lady comes up and says to the front desk she wishes to cancel her reservation if the hotel doesn't force everyone to wear them.  since it is not a state order to wear them the hotel refunded her her money that was on hold  and canceled her reservations.  

Now why did this Lady go to the beach , knowing this virus is still around?  She expected everyone to be wearing masks i guess. 

Not everyone is going to be wearing them even if its suggested or advised. (especially in 90 degree weather)

if ts enforced , ok.   but those thinking everyone is going to use the same precautions its best if you stay home imo.   

If this was anytime since June 24th, NC does have a mandatory mask law indoors. If the hotel did not enforce it, they were in violation of the law.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fandash said:

Fantastic.

I didnt think they would make it mandatory

None of this has been approved by the CDC.  It is a marketing gimmick to sell cruises.  "Don't worry, we will keep you safe." 

Book here.

NCL and RCCL are trying to develop a coordinated plan to propose to the CDC.  It is a task force "to develop and improve safety standards"  Absolutely nothing has been decided yet.

There is zero chance that you will sail anytime in the next 6 months-1 year without masks being mandated.  Zero.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

None of this has been approved by the CDC.  It is a marketing gimmick to sell cruises.  "Don't worry, we will keep you safe." 

Book here.

NCL and RCCL are trying to develop a coordinated plan to propose to the CDC.  It is a task force "to develop and improve safety standards"  Absolutely nothing has been decided yet.

There is zero chance that you will sail anytime in the next 6 months-1 year without masks being mandated.  Zero.

yep  our cruise this year was cancelled

we would be sailing this saturday so i will need to wait till next summer to see what happening with cruises before i book as i have said in previous posts ...we will not cruise with these restrictions... and we are fine with that but even then if restrictions are still in place we will not cruise.

we are decorating at this moment in time instead of cruising ... so i am sure we will find something to spend our money on if cruising is not on the list next year

6 minutes ago, fandash said:

yep  our cruise this year was cancelled

we would be sailing this saturday so i will need to wait till next summer to see what happening with cruises before i book as i have said in previous posts ...we will not cruise with these restrictions... and we are fine with that but even then if restrictions are still in place we will not cruise.

we are decorating at this moment in time instead of cruising ... so i am sure we will find something to spend our money on if cruising is not on the list next year

A lot feel like you.  Some because they are uncomfortable with the mask, others that feel if masks are required the virus is not contained.  I really think they will have difficulty selling cabins.

Enjoy your decorating!

• Thanks 1

The big reason why masks are so important and made mandatory in some states is that things are out of control there.  Masks were never mandatory here where I live.  In fact when lockdown measures were initially put in place back in March, Social distancing was emphasized.  Masks were dismissed by our health authorities as "It won't hurt but it won't necessarily prevent you from getting the virus".  Mask use is now encouraged more here as an additional tool if social distancing measures are not possible and promoted more as a way to prevent you from spreading the virus rather than preventing you from getting it.  There are some business that absolutely require mask use and need to be included as part of their safety plan (i.e. hairdressers and other personal service providers).  For the short time that I'm in a crowded place like a Costco, I will wear my mask.  

On 5/8/2020 at 5:14 PM, Sunseeker810 said:

So, I just got off the phone with NCL.  I asked if they were planning on sailing with a lesser capacity in order to social distance on the pool deck.  The answer was no.  They do however plan to space out the chairs.  I said that it can be impossible to get a chair as it is.  I was told to go out earlier.  I am usually out there by 7AM.  Perhaps I should go out at 3AM???

What they need to do is put more loungers on the promenade deck and other areas away from the lido. Every NCL smaller ship I’ve been on there were hardly any loungers on the promenade. I like peace and quiet, and feel there should be more loungers out there COVID or no COVID for those of us that don’t like crowds.

• Like 1

If masks and social distancing are still a requirment then the pandemic has not been

contained. I would be shocked if the CDC lifts it's 'No-Sail' order on July 24th if the

virus is still active. Once there is a vaccine and mass innoculations where the CDC

feels like this virus has been eraticated, only then will they allow cruises from the USA

to resume. 

48 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

What they need to do is put more loungers on the promenade deck and other areas away from the lido. Every NCL smaller ship I’ve been on there were hardly any loungers on the promenade. I like peace and quiet, and feel there should be more loungers out there COVID or no COVID for those of us that don’t like crowds.

Except that won’t help sunseeker in his/her quest to be near the pool which is what the issue is as I understand it.... certainly not peace, quiet and tranquillity.

33 minutes ago, atanac said:

If masks and social distancing are still a requirment then the pandemic has not been

contained. I would be shocked if the CDC lifts it's 'No-Sail' order on July 24th if the

virus is still active. Once there is a vaccine and mass innoculations where the CDC

feels like this virus has been eraticated, only then will they allow cruises from the USA

to resume. 

The virus will be around forever, even if a vaccine happens. If thats the case the CDC might as well close cruising forever

6 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

The virus will be around forever, even if a vaccine happens. If thats the case the CDC might as well close cruising forever

Covid 19 is not like any virus the United States has ever had to deal with. Yes, viruses of many strains have

been around forever but none of them have impacted our country (and the world) like this one. Allowing

people to sit indoors at a restaurant or movie theatre for a hour or so and then go home is workable even

if this virus is still infecting people. Putting even a reduced amount of people inside a cruise ship for seven

days is a world of diffierence...and the CDC knows it. 

4 minutes ago, atanac said:

Covid 19 is not like any virus the United States has ever had to deal with. Yes, viruses of many strains have

been around forever but none of them have impacted our country (and the world) like this one. Allowing

people to sit indoors at a restaurant or movie theatre for a hour or so and then go home is workable even

if this virus is still infecting people. Putting even a reduced amount of people inside a cruise ship for seven

days is a world of diffierence...and the CDC knows it. 

Actually, the huge impact it has had is due to the lockdown measures. Its nothing special, % wise the deaths are very low and the contagion rate isnt huge either. Either we keep on lockdown forever or let the virus run its course, which is gonna happen anyway. Going to ban ALL activities forever? not talking about just cruises here

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Except that won’t help sunseeker in his/her quest to be near the pool which is what the issue is as I understand it.... certainly not peace, quiet and tranquillity.

Disagree, we are 'sunseekers' but much prefer to be distanced from the pool....like many others!

4 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Disagree, we are 'sunseekers' but much prefer to be distanced from the pool....like many others!

Well, OK but I’m referring to the OP’s post #1, not the grand scheme of lounger distribution  around the ship and whether somebody prefers a quieter experience.  Me, I tend to frequent the Promenade deck quite a bit and will only be near the pool when swimming.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:32 PM, Fido Chuckwagon said:

The purpose of these face masks isn't to protect the wearer.  They're to protect everyone else.  And for that purpose they work.  

If the objective is to protect those most vulnerable, why aren't we providing masks that will actually do that to those that are vulnerable? 

15 hours ago, ECCruise said:

If this was anytime since June 24th, NC does have a mandatory mask law indoors. If the hotel did not enforce it, they were in violation of the law.

The date is at the top of the post. 6/14 

Edited by seaman11

Washington Post article yesterday, under the heading “Florida Invited the Nation to its Reopening — Then it Became a new Coronavirus Epicenter”.

To summarise

• As the coronavirus savaged other parts of the country Florida, buoyed by low infection rates, seemed an ideal location for a nation looking to emerge from isolation. The NBA eyed a season finale at a Disney sports complex near Orlando and millions packed onto once-empty beaches. Weeks later, the Sunshine State has emerged as a coronavirus epicenter.
  • Nearly 1 out of every 100 residents is infected with the virus, hospital intensive care units are full or filling up, and big-name visitors who chose Florida for their first post-isolation events are now mired in questions and controversies about safety. 
  • Amid escalating infections, Florida is faring poorly.
  • Residents worry the situation will get much worse. Florida is now one of a handful of states whose spiking numbers are driving a major resurgence of the virus in the United States. On Tuesday there were 213,794 cases of the coronavirus in Florida, according to Washington Post data. The state has tallied a record number of cases over the past week, averaging 8,766 a day, according to data.  
  • In a sign of intensifying trouble 52 intensive care units across more than a third of the state’s counties had reached capacity by Tuesday, according to data released by the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. Another 17 hospitals had also run out of regular beds.

You do begin to wonder when, perhaps even if, cruising can resume in the next year or two!

18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If the objective is to protect those most vulnerable, why aren't we providing masks that will actually do that to those that are vulnerable? 

This graphic shows why.  An infected person without a mask is a serious risk to all around. A mask only on the healthy person is a poor mitigation of the risk. Just TALKING spreads the virus around in a huge cloud. And new evidence (on ABC News 2 nights ago) shows micro droplets remain in the air for a very long time.

Bryan Health urging public to protect one another, wear masks to ...

• Like 1