Social distancing on a cruise ship

I am glad to read about these safety measures that NCL is going to put into place. I miss cruising and hope that I can feel safe and with some confidence to go back to doing that which I enjoy. There will need to be civility and setting aside of “me-first” mentality for the new-look cruises to be successful and enjoyable. As far as passengers wearing masks, I find it improbable that will be a cruiseline requirement. Unlikely that the captain and crew will be able to enforce such a thing.  And passengers policing each other will result in words and fisticuffs- I am not even talking about the masks, but I fear confrontations arising from disagreements about proper social distancing within the ship’s confines.

I have concern that temperature checks even done frequently will not pick up the asymptomatic person who does spread the coronavirus even without showing overt symptoms of infection. Temp-check can be useful, when together with asking a person their recent symptoms and travel history before boarding. But there you rely on the honesty of passengers who won’t get to enjoy their time (and possibly not get all their money back) if they are refused boarding. Same with the honesty of crewmembers (with their pay on the line).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Comi.uy said:

Not sure about social distancing but masks on a cruise its totally gonna happen, at least for a while.

i honestly do not believe any cruise line will make wearing masks mandatory. If people need to wear masks so cruise lines can go they will not sail....

I will not wear a mask when i cruise but by all means anyone who wants to wear one is totally up to that person

My family and i will not cruise if wearing a mask did become mandatory.

It is a false sense of security but like i said before if people want to wear one that is fine however it is also totally fine to chose not to wear one

However i feel when people are going on about people not wearing masks thinking about the other ways people can get covid 19 - will you never have a cup of tea, glass of wine, touch the stairs banister etc while on a cruise. 

So lets life our lives and enjoy it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fandash said:

My family and i will not cruise if wearing a mask did become mandatory.

Public transport in most countries are requring masks. I don't see why cruise lines would be an exception?

What concerns me are the numbers who would "happily" wear mask on to on the get on the ship (as they are mandatory) and then kick up a fuss once sailing and refuse to wear them hence causing a problem for cruise staff.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Public transport in most countries are requring masks. I don't see why cruise lines would be an exception?

What concerns me are the numbers who would "happily" wear mask on to on the get on the ship (as they are mandatory) and then kick up a fuss once sailing and refuse to wear them hence causing a problem for cruise staff.

That is exactly what is going to happen and cruise lines will be lax enforcing it. There was an article /statement from the president of the flight attendants union that said they "can't " enforce it even though it says you have to have a mask on to fly.

You are always going to have a % of people who think rules don't Apply to them. Happens everyday.

Those will be the same ones who complain the loudest , IF a quarantine on the cruise would happen. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Cruises are not public transportation so the use, or otherwise, of a mask is not an exception.

I sort of agree with you and beerman2 on the level of commitment on the part of both passengers and the cruise line to abide by/enforce mask-wearing rules.  Judging by what I’ve seen on cruises, not likely to happen.

I’m in the fandash camp though.... if there is a requirement to wear masks on a cruise (at any time), I simply won’t be cruising.  Has nothing to do with the mask itself, more an indicator of the continued risk of exposure to the coronavirus.

43 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Cruises are not public transportation so the use, or otherwise, of a mask is not an exception.

Well you pay to get on a bus or subway and you pay to get on a ship. Seems like public transportation to me. Confined space, lots of people, high risk.

52 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

There was an article /statement from the president of the flight attendants union that said they "can't " enforce it even though it says you have to have a mask on to fly.

This seems so odd to me. They are private companies. You agree to their rules or you don't travel. I don't get why they find this hard? It involves difficult conversations yes and it involves not permitting people to travel who don't want to comply but as private operations they get to set their rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

This seems so odd to me. They are private companies. You agree to their rules or you don't travel. I don't get why they find this hard? It involves difficult conversations yes and it involves not permitting people to travel who don't want to comply but as private operations they get to set their rules.

Cruise ships can throw them off at the next port, what can an airline do?  What if someone refuses to keep their mask on while flying 16 hours non-stop Manila to JFK?  Emergency landing in Vancouver?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Cruise ships can throw them off at the next port, what can an airline do?  What if someone refuses to keep their mask on while flying 16 hours non-stop Manila to JFK?  Emergency landing in Vancouver?

In worst case:yes. And then they can debit all the additional costs for that stop to this person.

I also think that it will be very difficult to enforce the mandatory wearing of a mask,but i can also see the situation that in case some guests refuse to wear the mask that other guests get angry and a big fight will occur. The cruise lines should be aware of this as well.

Cruise lines will do their best to sail again as soon as possible.They will for sure rather sail with mandatory masks for all guests then keeping their ships unsued any longer.

1 hour ago, pmd98052 said:

everyone will have their own personal opinion/decision on wearing masks. We personally won't choose to spend £5-6K on a holiday to RELAX if we had to wear a mask because it would not be relaxing or fun. So that is what I would choose to do because i want to enjoy my holiday as I  always do.  And like you commented above if it is mandatory for boarding, safety drill and disembarkation only then yes we will do that but i really think after boarding  face mask will be optional. I completely understand people who will wear one as it makes them feel more secure (however in my opinion it is a false sense of security but if thats what makes some people happier/safer thats fine)  but  it will not stop someone getting corona virus... so what do you do ...put your lives on hold till they get a vacination (and they may not get one) therefore you dont do anything. FOR ME  that is not an option. However i am also of the opinion that if masks are required then it is not safe to cruise so the ship should not be sailing. And I will be more than happy to do something else for a holiday that does not have those restrictions imposed on me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

We flew round trip transcon last weekend. Mask compliance was low. Flight attendants were constantly reminding people standing in line for the lav to put on their masks since they were standing shoulder-to-shoulder with passengers seated in the aisle next to them (tip: don't get a seat next to the lav). 

2 hours ago, fandash said:

However i am also of the opinion that if masks are required then it is not safe to cruise so the ship should not be sailing. And I will be more than happy to do something else for a holiday that does not have those restrictions imposed on me.

Around our parts, wearing a mask is still mandatory for being in any public place with others. Costco, grocery stores, Lowes, shopping malls. It is required to go into the office and work. I suppose we could just stay locked up at home. But we comply with the mandatory mask requirements and get our food and home improvement supplies and gardening items. 

Since masks will be the new norm on cruise ships and planes for the foreseeable future, we will comply to go on a cruise again. 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

Or be quarantined for the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmd98052 said:

Get ready to wear one if you want to cruise. It’s also highly likely that the USA becomes such a hotspot that USA citizens are not permitted.

If I have to wear one to cruise, then I won’t be cruising.  Nothing against the mask itself but I have no intention of getting onboard a cruise ship if it’s necessary to wear a mask.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fandash said:

everyone will have their own personal opinion/decision on wearing masks. We personally won't choose to spend £5-6K on a holiday to RELAX if we had to wear a mask because it would not be relaxing or fun. So that is what I would choose to do because i want to enjoy my holiday as I  always do.  And like you commented above if it is mandatory for boarding, safety drill and disembarkation only then yes we will do that but i really think after boarding  face mask will be optional. I completely understand people who will wear one as it makes them feel more secure (however in my opinion it is a false sense of security but if thats what makes some people happier/safer thats fine)  but  it will not stop someone getting corona virus... so what do you do ...put your lives on hold till they get a vacination (and they may not get one) therefore you dont do anything. FOR ME  that is not an option. However i am also of the opinion that if masks are required then it is not safe to cruise so the ship should not be sailing. And I will be more than happy to do something else for a holiday that does not have those restrictions imposed on me.

The voice of reason!  If you feel vulnerable, wear a mask.  If you're worried about the virus, stay home.  I can imagine few things more ridiculous than spending thousands to put on a mask on every time I leave the cabin.  I have confidence that the cruise lines see reality here and will negotiate with the "authorities".  

• Like 1

i was at a hotel at the beach in NC and workers were not wearing masks and only a few customers were, a lady comes up and says to the front desk she wishes to cancel her reservation if the hotel doesn't force everyone to wear them.  since it is not a state order to wear them the hotel refunded her her money that was on hold  and canceled her reservations.  

Now why did this Lady go to the beach , knowing this virus is still around?  She expected everyone to be wearing masks i guess. 

Not everyone is going to be wearing them even if its suggested or advised. (especially in 90 degree weather)

if ts enforced , ok.   but those thinking everyone is going to use the same precautions its best if you stay home imo.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Around our parts, wearing a mask is still mandatory for being in any public place with others. Costco, grocery stores, Lowes, shopping malls. It is required to go into the office and work. I suppose we could just stay locked up at home. But we comply with the mandatory mask requirements and get our food and home improvement supplies and gardening items. 

Since masks will be the new norm on cruise ships and planes for the foreseeable future, we will comply to go on a cruise again. 

i flew from PA to TX to get a haircut last week. (had another reason but def needed the haircut). mask required for the cut but not in any other place i went. restaurants, stores, mini markets, hotels.  the freedom you feel not wearing a mask is addictive. it makes people happier and once you get it, you dont wanna give that feeling back. when i got home i had to put on the mask to get a sandwich at the local pizza joint. it was a bummer. and i have no problem being locked up working from home till i retire. zero reason i cannot but i know they bosses wont let me. 

i think the mask issue is not really relevant on a ship from an infection standpoint as there are 1 zillion other ways to get infected. but as ive said before, if a cruise line will really sail with less people. enforce 6 ft on pool deck. as well as seating near me while i eat or watch a show. id be on board every cruise! i hate the crowded dining when you are shoulder to shoulder. hate the packed theaters you get to 1 hour before to get a  seat. or fight for a seat in a tiny comedy club . to be able to reserve and get the distant tables is a HUGE plus for me. i hope this becomes the norm but it wont. the pricing would be crazy too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Month to month covid19 is fluid through out the USA. Some states doing their own thing. No mandatory masks for Florida statewide yet. Arizona cases exploded. Even in New England state to state variations of protocols. If you travel to Maine self quarantine for 14 days or negative recently tested for covid19. I’m not sure we’re going to Florida this winter. Just trying to deal with reality of covid19. Loss 4 family members and friends. Another healthy 68 year old friend in California was sick for a month. I can’t see covid19 being resolved because of USA being state to state and sometimes city and counties doing and not doing proper social distancing masks testing to flatten curve.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, pmd98052 said:

cruising is suppposed to be enjoyable and relaxing. there's the exception