Next round of cancellations

16 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Radiance is due to sail Vancouver to Tokyo - Singapore starting 9/4. I'm doubtful they would sail a TP for a 5 week season just to turn around and do another TP. There's also talk of laying up smaller ships.

From this a.m. Investor Call "Royal just announced suspension of sailings through 7/31/20 with the exception of their China routes; per today’s investor call. Also, it would appear they will look to a gradual restart leveraging their largest ships as they can operate them at 30% capacity to reach a break-even point versus their older smaller ships that would require a 50% break-even point. A formal press release on this is forthcoming."

Radiance is currently still somewhere in Asia, they will mostlikely keep it there and bring it in directly to drydock. As it seem from above we will see all the smaller ships out of service for a longer time.

For Alaska, the question is, if it's at all worth it to bring Ovation from Asia empty all the way to Seattle for a less than 2 months season. Hence Alaska might not happen at all this year.

Europe might see Allure operate as of August given the ship is already there anyhow and also Anthem who will be in Europe after the crew was dropped of in India and it's drydock. Wouldn't suprsise me if the crusing season from Southampton will be cancelled completely and we will see Anthem take the place of Explorer out of Rome.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:06 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Lift and shift- unprecedented generosity in this business.

Generous, yes, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "unprecedented". Lift and Shift could be better. It's disappointing that you lose all your pre-cruise purchases and then have to repurchase them at prevailing rates. "Lift and Shift" should bring those purchases with you. I was lucky enough to get in on the $18 drink package, but if I lift and shifted my cruise, I lose that benefit. I know, wa wa, poor me. But all your pre-cruise purchases should be lifted, as well. 

2 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Generous, yes, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "unprecedented". Lift and Shift could be better. It's disappointing that you lose all your pre-cruise purchases and then have to repurchase them at prevailing rates. "Lift and Shift" should bring those purchases with you. I was lucky enough to get in on the $18 drink package, but if I lift and shifted my cruise, I lose that benefit. I know, wa wa, poor me. But all your pre-cruise purchases should be lifted, as well. 

Could it b better? Yes.  

It is unprecedented in the fact that no has ever offered a price protection plan like this (that I can remember) previously or currently.

Its just good business sense to not honor the cruise planner purchases; they know if they keep your booking alive, you will be buying those things again, and perhaps at a higher price (especially in the $18 drink package of which I have also lost on 3 itineraries)

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But all your pre-cruise purchases should be lifted, as well. 

That would be an administrative nightmare to manage. Not all cruise planner purchases are available on the same ships.  Take shore excursions.  Even dining.  Different price points on different ships.  Different restaurants on different ships etc.....

they are having enough trouble trying to get caught up on refunds and FCC’s that there is no way they could realistically manage this.

and yes, I just lost 2 of the $18 a day drink packages yesterday as well.   That’s 4 so far. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That would be an administrative nightmare to manage. Not all cruise planner purchases are available on the same ships.  Take shore excursions.  Even dining.  Different price points on different shops.  Different restaurants on different ships etc.....

they are having enough trouble trying to get caught up on refunds and FCC’s that there is no way they could realistically manage this.

and yes, I just lost 2 of the $18 a day drink packages yesterday as well.   That’s 4 so far. 

I agree completely

8 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

So, just received my email that my 23 July cruise was cancelled. Guess I will try and do a Lift & Switch tomorrow. Need to go cry for the rest of the day today. 😨😰😥😢😭

Don't feel alone.  I am waiting for the other shoe to drop on the doomed August cruises.  😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rusty nut said:

A few people are posting that they were able to move the purchases when they lifted. One guy even was able to move the $18 drink package to the new sailing in 2021. I didn’t believe him at first till he took a screenshot showing it under his new booking! Just depends who you talk to when you call. 

Edited by CruisingHogFan
Grammer

On 5/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, ashley321121 said:

I’m booked on Rhapsody out of Venice (lol) on 6-27-20. I have been trying to be patient but it’s frustrating RCL still hasn’t canceled. At this rate I’ll be lucky to get a refund by fall. 

They finally cancelled the June 13th cruise on May 20th  so your cruise should come soon.

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ken...Any idea why Royal is cutting off the back end of the FCC's to April of 2022 when their current bookings go up to, instead of December of 2022, which is how long you can get an FCC through Carnival even though they don't have summer of 22 opened yet?   Very frustrating since I would have taken a FCC to utilize on an August of 22 Anthem sailing out of Bayonne.  Instead, I'll opt for a full refund on our just cancelled June sailing and a deposit refund on our August sailing.  Kind of short sighted on Royal's part since they need all of the liquidity that they can get.

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Virgin Voyages cancelled sailings till October 15.

Kind of a smart thing to do since it's their first ship.  They will let their competition be the guinea pigs for two months or so.  If there are problems, they will push it back even further.

11 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

A few people are posting that they were able to move the purchases when they lifted. One guy even was able to move the $18 drink package to the new sailing in 2021. I didn’t believe him at first till he took a screenshot showing it under his new booking! Just depends who you talk to when you call. 

I saw that as well.  Strange part is he said that they called him back so someone obviously got the go ahead from a supervisor to do it for him.  weird

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Ken...Any idea why Royal is cutting off the back end of the FCC's to April of 2022 when their current bookings go up to, instead of December of 2022, which is how long you can get an FCC through Carnival even though they don't have summer of 22 opened yet?   Very frustrating since I would have taken a FCC to utilize on an August of 22 Anthem sailing out of Bayonne.  Instead, I'll opt for a full refund on our just cancelled June sailing and a deposit refund on our August sailing.  Kind of short sighted on Royal's part since they need all of the liquidity that they can get.

April is last date of available Bookings. New dates wont be released until next Winter. Be grateful usually Royal gives one year for all FCC

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

April is last date of available Bookings. New dates wont be released until next Winter. Be grateful usually Royal gives one year for all FCC

Fully aware of that and I don't need to be grateful that Royal is extending the FCC over a year.  They are being short sighted in not extending it to the end of 22 like one of their competitor's is doing.  By being short sighted they are losing money in additional refunds that they will have to process.  I'm sure that I am not the only person wanting to book a cruise for the summer of 22.  

Just wanted to know why Carnival is offering their FCC's through the end of 22, while Royal is not.  Neither Royal nor Carnival is open for the summer of 22, yet Carnival allows their customers to hold onto their FCC until December 31 of 2022, while Royal is cutting things off at April of 22.  I don't make the rules, I just play the game, but if Royal had the same policy as Carnival, then I would have taken the FCC.  Since they don't, I'll be getting a refund.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Fully aware of that and I don't need to be grateful that Royal is extending the FCC over a year.  They are being short sighted in not extending it to the end of 22 like one of their competitor's is doing.  By being short sighted they are losing money in additional refunds that they will have to process.  I'm sure that I am not the only person wanting to book a cruise for the summer of 22.  

Just wanted to know why Carnival is offering their FCC's through the end of 22, while Royal is not.  Neither Royal nor Carnival is open for the summer of 22, yet Carnival allows their customers to hold onto their FCC until December 31 of 2022, while Royal is cutting things off at April of 22.  I don't make the rules, I just play the game, but if Royal had the same policy as Carnival, then I would have taken the FCC.  Since they don't, I'll be getting a refund.

As said at Min can only Book Cruises with Royal until April2022. Until 2yrs ago if they followed the historic released dates the May2021-April2022 would have just been released now. I was Booking Cruises date they were released that were to sail in 1 yr. With Royal is what it is. In past always got 1 yr FCC, if wasnt for CV would still only be 1yr

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I haven’t heard anything about the FCC’s being extended beyond April 2022.  My “guess” is that they would have to get into cancelling sailings in Jan of 2021 to allow this.

As for reasoning...it gets off their books faster.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I thought I had read somewhere that the one year from issue for the FCC's comes into play if, say you cancel or change a booking in November 2021 then your FCC will be good until November 2022 

Edited by molly361

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:20 PM, the more ports the better said:

Florida already has antibody testing.  There are 1.5+ million positive cases of COVID.  Every antibody study so far has shown between 30-50 positive antibody results for each positive COVID test.  That means that there are between 45 and 75 million people in the US already immune to COVID. 

Once antibody testing is more wide spread and it is getting there where we are in Florida, ships can easily begin sailing.  I don’t see August being out of the question.  Whenever it is, we’ll be on the first ship out!  We are hoping for something in the med.  Imagine Florence and Venice without the crowds, sounds fantastic.

I’m not sure that has been proven yet in all cases. 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, rusty nut said:

I was wondering about that. Thought about buying excursions and such prior to lift and shift. 

Good thing I waited. I was looking at the 3 dinner deal.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

Lol now it's back to maybe. I was just looking at pre booking dinners nothing special, just though I'd better hold off. I find rcl rules to be mixed results. Didnt want to create problems

Every time I think I understand someone tells me I'm wrong lol. 

Edited by firefly333

On 5/21/2020 at 4:42 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Could it b better? Yes.  

It is unprecedented in the fact that no has ever offered a price protection plan like this (that I can remember) previously or currently.

Its just good business sense to not honor the cruise planner purchases; they know if they keep your booking alive, you will be buying those things again, and perhaps at a higher price (especially in the $18 drink package of which I have also lost on 3 itineraries)

Lift and Shift is really RCCL going back to their (very) old policies again.  Previously, and for decades, you could cancel at no cost with a full refund.  You could move a deposit to another sailing at no cost.  They were the most flexible cruise line in the industry at one time.  

If you booked more than 6 months in advance you got a 25% discount off the brochure rate.  Yes, this was before everything was computerized.  

I can't remember when they started the cancellation schedule, but it might have always been in place in some form or other.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Did they say if your Dine, drink and discover will carry through?

DD&D did not carry through.  Per my travel agent, Royal claimed I wanted the $50 (which doesn't even cover one soda package).  So, as of an hour or so ago, the $50 credit is now showing on my statement, although it never appeared before (nor after) L&S.

Not worth the fight.  There are bigger problems in the world, such as the abuse of potted plants.

Edited by soremekun
  • Haha 1