RCI Near-Term Plans Outlined?

I looked for anything on this but didn't see it (apologize if just missed it).  At first, I thought Carnival in their announcement of what they are looking for in the near-term when start up, i.e., which ships will go & not go, was too early to communicate, but in thinking about this, I like their approach.  (Note:  I am not a huge Carnival fan.) Doing this helps those of us who may be interested in planning a trip and willing to take the risk on early opening cruises to know which ones will be available to book.   I'm wondering why RCI can't do something similar so we can know which ones may be available?  I'm finding myself wasting time looking at cruises (even in the Caribbean which we've been to a lot) and not knowing if that trip will happen or not.  (I do realize won't be in next couple of months; looking more at September.)  I'd like to know what ships are likely, potential dates (understanding that dates can change) to at least consider booking and having something to anticipate.  

Please do not reply with lectures on why we should or should not go on a cruise when they first open----there are many forums open for that where you can comment.  More interested if there are others who would like RCI to at least communicate more openly with customers for our planning purposes (recognizing it would be subject to change based on how COVID & CDC progresses).  Or please let me know if this is already available & I'm just missing something. 

• Like 3

I would like to have some kind of idea also.  We have Alaska booked on Sept. 4 but if Ovation would not be one of the ships that would sail then we know that cruise would be cancelled and we could see what alternatives we might have.  I understand the one month at a time cancellations but it makes it hard for some of us to plan.

• Like 1

I figured this way so won't be disappointed, nothing sailing until the earliest 2021..........simplify everything like that then it's easy.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I read on Facebook that they’re going to make an announcement either today or tomorrow morning that all Alaskan and Canadian cruises will be canceled for 2020 and that all other cruises will be postponed until August 1.  I believe this is exactly what the other cruiselines already published.

Edited by sellwingri

2 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I read on Facebook that they’re going to make an announcement either today or tomorrow morning that all Alaskan and Canadian cruises will be canceled for 2020 and that all other cruises will be postponed until August 1.  I believe this is exactly what the other cruiselines already published.

I thought some other cruise lines cancelled all their Med cruises for the season?  🍷

7 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Sounds like a safe bet as expected as all cruiselines keeping thinning out their crews on their ships. Got to know nothing is going to start soon when they continue to do that.

When you hear the cruiselines are bringing back crew onto their ships, that will give you a better indication as to when they start up again, until that happens everyone just has to sit tight.

Edited by Jimbo

11 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

More interested if there are others who would like RCI to at least communicate more openly with customers for our planning purposes (recognizing it would be subject to change based on how COVID & CDC progresses).

I honestly think they don't really know yet.  While they would like to give information they have to get all of the processes in place or at least planning of the processes in place before making any kind of announcement.  Any kind of announcement of when is going to inevitably bring the question of how. Once they announce a real date of resumption folks will immediately want to know what the embarkation, debarkation and onboard experience will be like.  I think they are still trying to figure that out.  Critical to their success is restarting safely but also restarting an experience that customers actually enjoy.  The implementation of the work flow that ensures that enjoyable experience has to be determined. If they start back up and then we start getting tonnes of report here on CC about how miserable the experience was or how little compliance there was with their safety protocols, they're screwed.  Changing the entire process of how you deliver your product to market takes time.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I would like to have some kind of idea also.  We have Alaska booked on Sept. 4 but if Ovation would not be one of the ships that would sail then we know that cruise would be cancelled and we could see what alternatives we might have.  I understand the one month at a time cancellations but it makes it hard for some of us to plan.

I honestly think that the Alaska season is shot.  Canadian ports will not be open by Sept. and without at least one Canadian port all of Ovations itineraries violate PVSA.  Also the Seattle Tacoma area is the worst area in Washington and Washingtons governor hasn't shown much interest in opening up particularly quickly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I figuring this way so won't be disappointed, nothing sailing until the earliest 2021..........simplify everything like that then it's easy.

While I think you may be right, I'm holding out hope for a Dec 6th on Allure of the Seas.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jndsilver31 said:

this is just my guess, no hard facts, any cruise after labor should be a go. again just my wild guess. i am not an expert or anything close to one, do you can roast me all you want.

Your wild guess is as good as anybody elses, including CEO Bayley. 

All of the major tourist resorts - be it Disney, Vegas, etc - are trying to figure it out. While some have announced high-level frameworks, the devil is in the details. Of course, no one is going to come out and say "Give us 3 more months to figure it out and fingers-crossed, the world will be a better place."

@Tree_skier in post #8 is on point and pretty much sums up the situation.

Edited by HBE4

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have a new app for my phone... All may future cruising decisions will be made by it.

IMG_4152.png

LOL!!  I think I remember DaveKathy uses one of the real ones for his answers as well.  😄 😄 

Edited by island lady

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL!!  I think I remember DaveKathy uses one of the real ones for his answers as well.  😄 😄 

Yes I do.😎 I've had it forever. 🎱 It will be 61 years old this Christmas. 🎅 I'm older than it but I believe it's wiser. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

I doubt RCL or any cruise line has inked their covid re-opening plans. Heck our government can't even follow their own plans & guidelines. If the US can't get it's act together on a national basis, following the published scientific guidance, cruising won't be able to resume successfully and neither will the economy anytime soon.

• Like 4

RCI doesn't know what their plans are yet.  It's as simple as that. 

I'm sure they have some ideas of how they hope things will go, but they can't be specific at this point...too many variables.  Which embarkation ports will be open to departures?  With all the ships moving around, which ships will be near those ports?  Which ports would welcome ships/pax in the near term?  Where will the crew come from?  Can pax fly to ports of embarkation?  Etc. etc.  

Not to say RCI isn't thinking about all of these issues--of course they are--but much of the open items are out of their control.  Hence why they can't outline a plan at this point.

2 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

I looked for anything on this but didn't see it (apologize if just missed it).  At first, I thought Carnival in their announcement of what they are looking for in the near-term when start up, i.e., which ships will go & not go, was too early to communicate, but in thinking about this, I like their approach.  (Note:  I am not a huge Carnival fan.) Doing this helps those of us who may be interested in planning a trip and willing to take the risk on early opening cruises to know which ones will be available to book.   I'm wondering why RCI can't do something similar so we can know which ones may be available?  I'm finding myself wasting time looking at cruises (even in the Caribbean which we've been to a lot) and not knowing if that trip will happen or not.  (I do realize won't be in next couple of months; looking more at September.)  I'd like to know what ships are likely, potential dates (understanding that dates can change) to at least consider booking and having something to anticipate.  

Please do not reply with lectures on why we should or should not go on a cruise when they first open----there are many forums open for that where you can comment.  More interested if there are others who would like RCI to at least communicate more openly with customers for our planning purposes (recognizing it would be subject to change based on how COVID & CDC progresses).  Or please let me know if this is already available & I'm just missing something. 

All the cruise lines need to suspend bookings until they have a start up plan in place and released to the public. They need to have firm schedules with which ports that are going to sail to and all the other issues such as medical care, onboard environment, getting on/off the ship and so on.

I don't care for Carnivals approach at all. They even said we "may" resume in August. They are also putting out itinerary's that are not going to happen such as stopping at the Cayman Islands.

Ultimately all that matters to get the cruiselines sailing is again is if they can prove to the CDC and whatever other international governing bodies that they have made cruises as safe as a land resort.   

That is a nearly impossible order without a miracle cure or a vaccine.   Cruise ships are just like nursing homes and prisons at sea.   Difference is those are essential and a cruise ship is not.

Once they can prove they have a plan that ensures the safety of their guests to the level of being on land that will happen.  Sadly there are almost no options that the cruise lines have that will likely allow them to reduce the risk to a reasonable level in our current Covid world without a vaccine or a miracle drug.

While ports opening, airlines running, etc. are all also key, without safety they cannot sail the ships no matter how many ports are open.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes I do.😎 I've had it forever. 🎱 It will be 61 years old this Christmas. 🎅 I'm older than it but I believe it's wiser. 

Hahahaha!!  I knew it...I had one as a kid also...but don't know what happened to it.  Pretty cool you still have yours!  

👍🎱