ccl stock

shipbound2

I think the cruise stocks will continue to fluctuate until cruising is predictable, then I think they will slowly increase to pre-covid numbers.  It was a great day for the market today.  I tried to get one of my sons to buy United and Carnival a few weeks ago and told him if he was nervous, he could just hold them for a few weeks and sell them for a profit.  He was too nervous to do it.  Everyone has their own comfort level, but man, he could have doubled his investment with United.  

RCL stock is shocking to me.  I never would have guessed it would be this high this quickly.  Carnival is slow and steady, which is fine with me.  If any of these stocks take a big dive, I will buy more.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

RCL stock is shocking to me.  I never would have guessed it would be this high this quickly.  Carnival is slow and steady, which is fine with me.  If any of these stocks take a big dive, I will buy more.

How low did RCL go and what is it at now? Thx!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

How low did RCL go and what is it at now? Thx!

It dipped to the very low 20s and I picked up 50 shares.  I am kicking myself for not being more aggressive!  It hit a high of around $71.79 or so today!!  Crazy.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

I finally bailed on CCL, Friday, at $22.50/share.  I've traded a total of 1,200 shares of CCL during the last 10 months (since July).  Most of the time, I only held 100 - 200 shares at any given time.  I've received $252 in dividends during this period.

However, I did get caught chasing down the price starting Feb 24 when CCL started to crash -- to the tune of 800 shares in addition to the 100 shares I was holding at the time.  Luckily, I was able to purchase 400 of those 800 shares March 18 at $8/share.  This lowered my cost basis to half of what it would have been had I not purchased those 400 shares.

At one point, I was down $12,000.  However, with a bit of patience and a bit of luck, the price jumped to nearly $23/share on Friday.  So instead of a loss, I made a bit under $1,900 for my effort... enough for a cruise.

This should be a lesson to all who only purchase CCL stock to get the shareholder OBC credit.  It's not worth the $100 OBC only to end up with a big loss on the stock.  The 100 shares I owned before dollar cost averaging ( i.e., purchasing additional shares -- chasing the stock price down ) would have left me with a $1,900 loss.  Nothing like losing $1,900 in older to get a $100 OBC...😂  

I'll keep an eye on CCL going forward -- waiting for the price to stabilize... or a great buy opportunity to reveal itself.  I too only initially bought CCL for the shareholder benefit.  The big price swings before it dived intrigued me.  I was up $2,000 at one time.  Guess I should have sold.  Lesson learned.

• Like 3

I sold 120-ish shares of CCL and all 100 shares of NCLH on Friday.  I think all the cruise share prices have gotten far, far ahead of themselves.  In the past three months they've wrecked their balance sheets by borrowing extreme amounts at extortionate interest rates, issued shares at giveaway prices to dilute everyone else's shares, issued convertible bonds with low convert prices (which means more shares outstanding and more dilution of the current common), and cut their dividends.  Yes, we all know they had to do all of this, but there's still so much uncertain about cruising that I decided to head for the exits.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have a big chunk. If I can sell it by years end close to what I paid, I'm out except for the 100 shares for cruising. I bought for the dividend, which is now gone. I love off my stocks, so at the time seemed wise. Watched in horror as princess got stuck in japan, then the HAL fiasco.

If I had profits I'd take them and put the money into a stock that is currently profitable. I just dont want to take a large loss, so I'll ride it out to years end and crossing my fingers. I'm just glad I think ccl escaped bankruptcy... no didnt average down. Would have been smart, bad time. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. I do have a sizeable gain to offset losses.. but waiting until year end. Maybe still some upside once it starts cruising again. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I finally bailed on CCL, Friday, at $22.50/share.  I've traded a total of 1,200 shares of CCL during the last 10 months (since July).  Most of the time, I only held 100 - 200 shares at any given time.  I've received $252 in dividends during this period.

However, I did get caught chasing down the price starting Feb 24 when CCL started to crash -- to the tune of 800 shares in addition to the 100 shares I was holding at the time.  Luckily, I was able to purchase 400 of those 800 shares March 18 at $8/share.  This lowered my cost basis to half of what it would have been had I not purchased those 400 shares.

At one point, I was down $12,000.  However, with a bit of patience and a bit of luck, the price jumped to nearly $23/share on Friday.  So instead of a loss, I made a bit under $1,900 for my effort... enough for a cruise.

This should be a lesson to all who only purchase CCL stock to get the shareholder OBC credit.  It's not worth the $100 OBC only to end up with a big loss on the stock.  The 100 shares I owned before dollar cost averaging ( i.e., purchasing additional shares -- chasing the stock price down ) would have left me with a $1,900 loss.  Nothing like losing $1,900 in older to get a $100 OBC...😂  

I'll keep an eye on CCL going forward -- waiting for the price to stabilize... or a great buy opportunity to reveal itself.  I too only initially bought CCL for the shareholder benefit.  The big price swings before it dived intrigued me.  I was up $2,000 at one time.  Guess I should have sold.  Lesson learned.

If buying for OBC there is no point in owning more than 100 shares. With longer cruises, you can get up to $250. Any loss is only in theory until you sell. The OBC is each and every cruise. Sell your house and live on a cruise ship - you'll recover any losses in no time.

30 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If buying for OBC there is no point in owning more than 100 shares. With longer cruises, you can get up to $250. Any loss is only in theory until you sell. The OBC is each and every cruise. Sell your house and live on a cruise ship - you'll recover any losses in no time.

Some people buy and sell in larger quantities than others. I have 10k shares. Even at $100 a week it would take years lol. Though I wouldn't mind living on a ship but I wouldn't feel safe leaving my house empty for months at a time. And i run errands for my parents who are past driving age.

I bought before all the princess and HAL disasters. Didnt see this virus coming. Maybe this was one time stops would have been good. I also am still underwater in some oil stocks. Who would guess people would stop driving mostly and oil would plunge as low as it went. 

Diversity... luckily I have some doing well. My little APT who makes masks I sold and made a killing. So I have big gains to offset some losses just trying now to minimize losses, but will sell this year for offsetting gains. Oil stocks will recover faster than ccl imo. 

Let's hope ccl gets sailing and avoid another sell off lol. I want out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

An excellent opportunity in stops. For that matter, shorting market.

I was buying for dividends, and living off the dividends. Not caring about a little up or down.

My crystal ball was fuzzy about this virus. Never dreamed we would shut down most of the economy. And yea I'm worried about it selling off again. I'll keep 100 shares, but if I get close to break even I'm gome. Really who ever could have foreseen the effects of covid? Sure stops would have saved me, but usually I just sit back and collect dividends. My cruising money.

I am debating whether to sell and hope it goes back down or hold on to my RCL, NCL, CCL, United, etc.

I question if it will go back down as far as it did, though.  My husband is a physician and this Covid thing just isn't turning out to be nearly as deadly as the first thought. Original decisions were based on Italy's numbers and our numbers have not panned out the same way.  Plus, it is acting more like the other Covid viruses in that the warmer weather seems to be killing it off. I am in Houston and frankly numbers are pretty steady.  With the number of people on the beaches after they opened up in May and the HUGE club pool partied over Memorial day weekend with thousands of people packed into "pool clubs" (think Lido deck on a full cruise), numbers could have skyrocketed and they did not.  Anxious to see what happens after the 60,000 person March in downtown Houston this past week. If nothing happens from that, I am going to be ready to say that at least until cooler weather, not much else is going to happen.  I have always thought that our hot, humid client would kill it just like it does with the flu and other Covid viruses.  If so, I think the Galveston, NOLA and Florida port cruises will be home free at least until winter...or a hurricane.  NOLA is about to be hit tomorrow in fact with a small one.

As for stock, my Boeing and SPR is almost double.  My Apache is up 200 percent from $4 to over $12.  I have a pilot friend who scooped up Boeing at $95 and now it is over $200. I got it for $114-130. Of course, the high was $360.  

I have been sitting on cash for a couple of years -- mainly because I was lazy -- and this has been a good time to buy but unsure of what to do now...whether to try to sell and re-buy or just hold on.  Everyone keeps asking me: What is your investment goal?  Problem is, I don't really know other than to make money.  I am 39. Not retiring anytime soon and I already have a retirement account.  My house is almost paid off. I would like I new house, but I am limited as to where I can move anyway because of my kids' private school location so unless I pulled them out of their school and put them in public school, moving to a "new build" isn't an option.

• Like 2

To sell or not to sell.  That is the question.  I was tempted to sell some of it last week, but I believe if I am patient and wait it out it will be worth it.  That's a great deal on Boeing.  I stuck to inexpensive travel stocks and wish I had bought more.  If any of them ever dip again like they have in the past month or two, I will buy more.  

The only reason I would sell is if I thought a company would go under.  Otherwise, holding is my best option.  I'm in no hurry. But the way these stocks have played out lately, even a nervous person could have bought low and sold several weeks to a month later and made a profit.  If any of these eventually return to their January numbers, it will really be something.

I paid cash for my house and was limited to within 5 minutes of my parents who are 94 and 101. My dad might not have a lot of time left, but no reason to think my mom doesnt. .. and she doesnt drive or travel. So I'm kinda forced to live here or I'd live on the ocean, for sure not here.

I sold 18k shares of APT around $35, so have a big chuck of profits I can offset. APT makes masks, saw it on tv and went wow, hey I own some of that. I paid $2.18, which is why I have so much profit selling at $35. Knew that price wouldnt hold, traders got a hold of it. That $230k profit pretty much offsets any losses so dont feel too bad for me.

In my stock trading days I'd buy apt at $2 and sell at $3. Just happened I didnt sell the last batch of 18k shares. So never saw a little tiny mask maker hitting over $40 either.

Always have some winners and losers. No one always calls it right. At least I've done well enough to not work most of my life in a regular job. So dont feel bad my ccl is down. 

I've just gotten to where I rarely trade, just was buying for dividends to live off of. Not be greedy. It's a lot of bookkeeping to keep track if you trade in and out a lot. Short term gains and losses vs long term, avoiding wash sales etc.

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The only reason I would sell is if I thought a company would go under.  Otherwise, holding is my best option.  

Sometimes with a little stock that traders get a hold of, it is best to sell. It's a lottery ticket and probably will never be that high again. Those other little companies like LAKE and some who were riding high on vaccine news, if traders triple your stock in 2 or 3 days, you have to know when to take profits too.

I'm watching the traders almost daily. You know the value of a stock hasnt tripled, you either sell and take profits or they are gone forever. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's a lot of bookkeeping to keep track if you trade in and out a lot. Short term gains and losses vs long term, avoiding wash sales etc.

Yeah... I got myself into a wash sale on CCL, which complicated my sell strategy.  My eventual strategy was just to sell all shares and be done with it.  Easier to just pay the taxes on the gains than to worry about wash sale trades.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I paid cash for my house and was limited to within 5 minutes of my parents who are 94 and 101. My dad might not have a lot of time left, but no reason to think my mom doesnt. .. and she doesnt drive or travel. So I'm kinda forced to live here or I'd live on the ocean, for sure not here.

I sold 18k shares of APT around $35, so have a big chuck of profits I can offset. APT makes masks, saw it on tv and went wow, hey I own some of that. I paid $2.18, which is why I have so much profit selling at $35. Knew that price wouldnt hold, traders got a hold of it. That $230k profit pretty much offsets any losses so dont feel too bad for me.

In my stock trading days I'd buy apt at $2 and sell at $3. Just happened I didnt sell the last batch of 18k shares. So never saw a little tiny mask maker hitting over $40 either.

Always have some winners and losers. No one always calls it right. At least I've done well enough to not work most of my life in a regular job. So dont feel bad my ccl is down. 

I've just gotten to where I rarely trade, just was buying for dividends to live off of. Not be greedy. It's a lot of bookkeeping to keep track if you trade in and out a lot. Short term gains and losses vs long term, avoiding wash sales etc.

I have never heard of anyone talking about their personal finances like this, is nothing sacred? Is everyone impressed? 

14 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Yeah... I got myself into a wash sale on CCL, which complicated my sell strategy.  My eventual strategy was just to sell all shares and be done with it.  Easier to just pay the taxes on the gains than to worry about wash sale poof

Edited by firefly333

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have never heard of anyone talking about their personal finances like this, is nothing sacred? Is everyone impressed? 

Sorry. Didnt mean to offend. I'm done. 

Someone else was talking about their house and stuff, and I replied what I thought similarly. You will never meet me, who cares. Bye

Doesnt take much to offend bored people sitting at home lol. Stock trading to me is talking info, not how you are taking it. Like someone else says they are a doctor, I day trade. 

Others have mentioned day trading here too. They also said how many shares. If I'm older and traded more shares, what difference does it make? But read back, other said they traded so many shares this or that many times. I said I'm selling and why. But if it offends you, I'll quit talking day trading stuff. 

Edited by firefly333

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Others have mentioned day trading here too.

firefly333... I have been enjoying hearing about your trades with regard to CCL... and nothing wrong with the telling of your other current trading during this pandemic.  The thread pretty much exists only because of the pandemic and how folks plan to trade into and out of CCL.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

firefly333... I have been enjoying hearing about your trades with regard to CCL... and nothing wrong with the telling of your other current trading during this pandemic.  The thread pretty much exists only because of the pandemic and how folks plan to trade into and out of CCL.

I'm learning, thx!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, coevan said:

sorry but that you have $630,000 should not be privy to anyone, IMHO

Right, someone with a mask might actually be a bandit instead of an ordinary person following distancing protocols.

People who are offended by comments can scroll by the comment, block comments by a particular person, or simply not read the thread.  It never fails that there are always people who come on a thread only to say that people should not be discussing certain things that the person does not want to discuss.

Firefly333, I enjoy reading your posts and think it's very helpful to read different opinions on stock.  When I first saw this thread, I learned about the $100 OBC with Carnival and bought my first 100 shares when Carnival stock was on the way down.  That got me started at looking at other travel stocks.  Anyway, I like reading your comments and appreciate your perspective.

• Like 2