Earrings!!

I realized the other day that I had not worn any earrings (or any other jewelry except for my wedding band) since we got back from our cruise on February 23, and this whole mess got started.   (I can't wear earrings with a winter hat that covers my ears, so figure it would be the same wearing a mask.)

I started to worry that my holes would close up, even after 40+ years.  How dumb is that??

So I've started wearing my earrings at home in the evening ... even my fancy ones.  I may even start pulling out some of my other jewelry to wear around the house ... I wonder if feeling "pretty" will make vacuuming or dusting more enjoyable??

• Like 2

I wear earrings all day every day!  It makes me feel less "plain", especially without makeup.  And a few weeks ago I decided to occasionally wear some small but extra-sparkly ones (aka cruise earrings) around the house.

If I'm going out and wearing a mask, I usually choose ones that have a more secure closing than just a hook, so the elastic doesn't dislodge it.

I put on a watch the other day, before going to the river to watch for a flyover, and realized it was the first time I had worn a watch since early March!  The first time in my life that I didn't wear a watch every single day.

I noticed that the only jewelry I wear now is my wedding band. 

I stopped wearing my watch when the battery died a couple of months ago, and with so many stores closed or only doing curbside pick up, I don't know where to get a new battery.  But I've decided I don't need a watch for now.

I put studs or buggies on my holes once a week, just out of the urban legend that they'll close up.  I had to go out today on medicine errands, so today was my day.  

I also wear my watch every day out of fear that my left wrist will fall off if I don't do it. 😜

• Like 1

I put on basic hoops most times when I am going out (Dr's appts, grocery store, etc.) but around the house I can

say I have not put any on recently.

No earring for me when I’m sitting around at home. I do love earrings though, The bigger the better!  For whatever reason my pierced ears have never closed up even when I went years without earrings. 

I don’t have pierced ears either.  Went a few times but when I saw people flinch at the pain they had when the ears were pierced, said no thanks!   Also, heard many times about people’s ears getting infected.   So, never got them done..

1 hour ago, alidor said:

I don’t have pierced ears either.  Went a few times but when I saw people flinch at the pain they had when the ears were pierced, said no thanks!   Also, heard many times about people’s ears getting infected.   So, never got them done..

I can't remember ever having an infection from the piercings. I only have 2.....one in each ear.

I've never had an infection, but it did take several months for the left one to properly heal. 

I had my ears pierced in college, by a pre-med student using ice cubes & sterile needles.  It didn't hurt.  He did a row of about 8 of us sitting in front of the mirrors in a theater dressing room.  I was first to go ... the last few girls chickened out!

I shudder to think about that now!!

I had mine done by my family doctor when I was a teenager.  I think he charged me $5.

He was not an "expert;" my holes are not even and they don't go straight across but rather down (at an angle).  ☹️

It didn't hurt though.  However, I remember the nurse coming by and wiping my neck and saying "I'm just wiping off the blood."  I then had to lay down because I almost fainted.

18 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

I've never had an infection, but it did take several months for the left one to properly heal. 

I had my ears pierced in college, by a pre-med student using ice cubes & sterile needles.  It didn't hurt.  He did a row of about 8 of us sitting in front of the mirrors in a theater dressing room.  I was first to go ... the last few girls chickened out!

I shudder to think about that now!!

My ex-husband did mine that way but my right ear hole isn't 'straight' & the only time I've gotten an infection is when I didn't have gold posts.

46 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I wear my diamond studs 24/7.  I'm to the point where I rarely, if ever, even take another pair on a cruise.  Maybe a pair of big gold hoops to wear one night just to change it up but that's about it. 

Diamond studs and a diamond tennis bracelet never leave my body.  As a woman of a certain age I can’t be bothered to constantly change .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Diamond studs and a diamond tennis bracelet never leave my body.  As a woman of a certain age I can’t be bothered to constantly change .

Hi, 🙂  Not sure what certain age you are referring to?  62 here......it is not a bother for me

to change out hoops🙂   Plus, not all of us own diamonds......I have never been able to afford a diamond tennis

bracelet (of any quality) or a good pair of diamond studs.

• Like 1

puppycanducruis and alidor, I too do not have pierced years! Nice to know I’m not the only one. Years ago when I was in college and before piercings were a popular thing, I went with my college roommate to get her ears pierced. She went to a doctor and wanted me to come along for moral support. The doctor began the procedure and happened to glance over at me. He asked if I felt ok and told the nurse to take me to the waiting room. Apparently I looked as if I was about to faint! Well, that experience left a lasting impression and I swore that I’d never pierce my ears! 

I have found very realistic hoop earrings that aren't pierced at Steinmart. They used to have different sizes and finishes but The last few times I shopped there the selection wasn’t  as good. These are costume jewelry quality and the finish tends to wear off after awhile. Fortunately I bought several different pairs when they had a wider selection. I wear these hoops more than any other style I own.People are surprised when I tell them they aren’t pierced earrings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, Laurie S. said:

I wear earrings every day, no matter what I am doing.  I do take them out when I go to bed.

Me too. I don't wear a lot of other jewelry, but i love earrings and like to  wear "fun" ones on a cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wear earrings most days but not pierced.  Fun finds at estate sales, often sterling or very good quality costume if people just throw all gran's earrings in a box.  On trips, take only ones that wouldn't break my heart to lose, usually cheap ones from wherever, but classics like hoops or simple dangles.  Generally keep those in carry-on so don't have to think about that when packing.  Earrings are often something I buy on a trip to remind me of different places, museums, etc. (seaglass from Hawaii and NE; windows from Pearl Harbor; wings from Milwaukee MOA)

4 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

Wear earrings most days but not pierced.  Fun finds at estate sales, often sterling or very good quality costume if people just throw all gran's earrings in a box.  On trips, take only ones that wouldn't break my heart to lose, usually cheap ones from wherever, but classics like hoops or simple dangles.  Generally keep those in carry-on so don't have to think about that when packing.  Earrings are often something I buy on a trip to remind me of different places, museums, etc. (seaglass from Hawaii and NE; windows from Pearl Harbor; wings from Milwaukee MOA)

What are "windows" from Pearl Harbor??

It's been 35+ years since I got my ears pierced, and my holes do close over. Two months is about the limit earring-less before I have to "re-pierce" an inner part of the hole with the earring. So I wear small studs 24/7/365 nowadays. I moved to mostly studs when my first was a baby-- had a friend who'd ripped her earlobe while brushing her hair with hoops in. That image scared me off hoops forever!

When I was young, my mother gave us the impression that we weren't "that type" of girls who pierced their ears. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

12 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

What are "windows" from Pearl Harbor??

At the gift shop at Pearl Harbor I found earrings that were like the Tree of Life windows.  Pic below just shows one but there's another on other side of list of names in the Shrine Room.  There's also a sculpture.  

image.png.4121445ada3fc69487d305d049964c75.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had to re-pierce my ears once as a teenager - wasn't fun!

I always wear my diamond studs that were a gift from hubby, wedding band, simple gold necklace & my watch. Only my watch gets taken off at night, the rest all stay on 24/7. During this time of extreme handwashing I haven't worn my other usual rings - my engagement ring & eternity ring with my wedding band, and my Granny's wedding ring and a ring that was a gift from my Grandfather to her on my right ring finger.