A Cruise Director’s Perspective 55 days on board.

Foggyzx9r

7 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

With the much maligned Cruise companies being hammered by the media I caught this on my news feed.

Christine Streets Cruise and Travel Director on board the Koningsdam.

Her story.

Experience  of life on board a repatriation ship.

That was a good story..

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

That was a good story..

I am glad I found it. I thought that whilst some are clamouring for cruising to start up, the crews ultimately are still stuck with still being delayed getting home.

Thank you!  What a surprise to learn how many crew members are still waiting to get home. We were onboard the Westerdam, in mid-February, and were fortunately able to disembark on February 14th, in Cambodia.  I keep hoping our wonderful crew may finally be home by now, but this sounds like some may still be waiting.

t

• Like 1

Yes, wow! 

I hadn't heard that crew kept aboard were not continuing to get paid their usual wage but that makes sense without Hotel Service Charges to pay for them, and I understand that a cruise line can only do so much and can't extend contracts at normal pay when they aren't bringing in revenue.  The many people at home who have lost their jobs and pay might have the ability to find other options for work, or apply for unemployment; crew on board can't do that.  

Many people have lost loved ones who died alone from COVID plus from all the "normal" causes of dying but couldn't have family with them due to the virus.  It's heart breaking. 

The US has lost on average 1500 people per day for about 10 weeks.   It's staggering, but we can take a few minutes to count our blessings and send out a thought of comfort to all those suffering. 

m--   

• Like 2

Heartbreaking account of what went on on that ship. 
It seems so unfair that a ship that had no covid on board, and no opportunity to bring it on board for longer than an incubation period, was not allowed to let people off to enter the general population. 

• Like 6

Thank you for posting that.

I bet I am not the only one who read it and thought what a terrible organization the CDC is with their ever changing rules. All those people suffering on a ship without the virus and yet the CDC makes sure they still suffer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Foggyzx9r said:

With the much maligned Cruise companies being hammered by the media I caught this on my news feed.

Christine Streets Cruise and Travel Director on board the Koningsdam.

Her story.

Experience  of life on board a repatriation ship.

Thanks for posting. My DH and I have sailed with Christina. She was the Captain’s host aboard the Prinsendam. We found her to be very friendly!

3 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Thank you!  What a surprise to learn how many crew members are still waiting to get home. We were onboard the Westerdam, in mid-February, and were fortunately able to disembark on February 14th, in Cambodia.  I keep hoping our wonderful crew may finally be home by now, but this sounds like some may still be waiting.

t

The Westerdam is now in Manila, it will be sometime before the Filipino staff get to disembark as they have only been there a few days.

• Like 1

This article puts a different perspective on the issue.  My heart broke thinking about the crew member whose wife died in labour and he was unable to be there . . . unimaginable.  Prayers to all who had to, and who are still enduring this.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

What a story!!!! Thank you so much for the link! My heart just hurts with the crew, and I am glad she was able to get off!! All I can say is WOW!

Denise😊

Totally agree with you.

Too bad we cannot make that story required reading for the bureaucrats at the CDC.

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing her story.  I remember her Facebook posts pre-Panama Canal; there was so much excitement

and happy anticipation.  

It also brought to mind the story of a few NCL pax who were allowed to disembark in Honolulu because they were residents.

If she had lived in California, I wonder if that would have made a difference (probably not).  

Had lost track of ships still housing crew before repatriation.  Thanks to all the crew who have endured unimaginable stress and long, lonely days.   Thanks, Christine for showing us the other side.  I have an even better understanding on how things have been since passengers have been disembarked and how difficult it has been for HAL and other cruise companies to manage the enormous job they had/have and logistics of moving people worldwide. 

And, congratulations on your engagement.

So glad you posted this!

I've wondered and worried about some dear crew on the Koningsdam as it entered the Pacific and hovered around the coast of California for awhile.  

Good to hear Christine's perspective of HAL and CDE and hope all return home asap.

Edited by sansterre