New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

<snip ... >

Note:  Carole, did your get your fancy mask locally or online?  If online, could you give us the website name?  Thanks!

Editing to say that I found one site for fancy masks https://www.etsy.com/market/rhinestone_face_mask

I've gotten a few here:  https://www.zazzle.com/s/masks -- not with crystals, but hundreds of patterns OR you can design your own using your own photos/etc.  Nice quality, pocket for filter, etc.  

29 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Disposable made in china.   Fabric ones via Etsy and my own neighborhood supposedly made in USA.  Not sure where the cotton was grown or turned into fabric.  

The fancy one that I ordered is from Etsy.  This is the second one that I have ordered from them - really like the first one.  If the fancy one is too heavy, I won’t wear it.  

Agree with Sheila - no one should tell us what to do.  Although some of us are ready to resume cruising, we would not tell others that they should do the same thing.  The only thing that I am adamant about is following protocol if you decide to cruise.  

• Like 1

SusieQft, I appreciate your responses on CC, and am interested in all of your posts given your background and sensitivity to "our world".  Just to clarify one of my comments, one of the most common triggers for panic attacks includes a sense of suffocation that could be a response to wearing a face mask; hence, my inclusion of anxiety as a reason that some individuals choose not to/or are unable to wear a face mask.  

Marc, thank you for the link to the article you posted. Although I wouldn't choose to sail in those conditions, there are obviously some people who make that choice.  Good for them!

Bellaggio Cruisers, I was not making a negative comment about your choice to cruise and/or travel.     

9 minutes ago, mariners said:

Just to clarify one of my comments, one of the most common triggers for panic attacks includes a sense of suffocation that could be a response to wearing a face mask; hence, my inclusion of anxiety as a reason that some individuals choose not to/or are unable to wear a face mask.  

I have only been wearing a mask when going into health clinic; I have gone five times over the last two months.  Last week I went early for a doctor's appointment, had a long appointment, then she sent me to X-ray.  After laying on that table for about a dozen X-rays in my mask still I did have a bit of an anxiety attack; of course, I also suffer somewhat from claustrophobia.

I probably should get comfortable cloth masks.  I have been reusing the same disposable mask each time which is probably not that good.

Just my experience,

Marc

• Like 1

A well fitting mask is much more comfortable than a poorly fitting one.  After much trial and error, I find the ones I make for myself easier to wear than my earlier attempts, and also easier than the commercial surgical masks that I was fortunate enough to have on hand before this hit.  I know that not everyone is able to make their own, but it works for me.

I purchased the commercial masks the last week of December to wear on the plane to Italy in April.  We were to spend a week traveling in Italy before a cruise, and I did not want to risk either of us getting the flu and being denied boarding in Rome.  We were thinking that the pre-cruise trip would give us a chance to adjust our biological clocks on our own schedule, and be sure not to miss the cruise from flight delays.  Now I look at it totally differently.  If I add on a land trip, it would be after the cruise, not before.  We would still go a day early to avoid missing the ship, but not a week early.

2 hours ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

I'll only speak for myself, but one of the reasons my wife and I prefer Regent is the all inclusive nature of their offerings, including many wonderful shore excursions.  And for the record, sailing with Regent does not imply every passenger has the wherewithal, or even the desire, to opt for private excursions.   

100% agree

Included excursions are a major positive for Regent

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

100% agree

Included excursions are a major positive for Regent

It may not be such a positive during the pandemic.  Regent has to be super aware of how their tour operators disinfect their buses, where they are going, etc.  At this point in time, it seems that excursions put passengers more at risk than being on the ship.  If there were any time to permit "opt outs" of excursions, it would be now.  Those passengers that want to take excursions can and those that would prefer not to can get a credit.

• Haha 2

It would seem that they could improve the safety of excursions by reducing the number of passengers per bus (without going to a smaller bus), disinfecting the busses prior to each tour, and requiring masks at least while on the bus and when in a tight group.  I would be comfortable with those policies.  I was under the impression that Regent tends not to fill the tour buses to maximum capacity, anyway.  Is that correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

It would seem that they could improve the safety of excursions by reducing the number of passengers per bus (without going to a smaller bus), disinfecting the busses prior to each tour, and requiring masks at least while on the bus and when in a tight group.  I would be comfortable with those policies.  I was under the impression that Regent tends not to fill the tour buses to maximum capacity, anyway.  Is that correct?

No, not always.  Our last cruise May 2019, we had many full buses.  Our April and June 2020 cruises???  We will never know. 

Edited by rcandkc
Change a month

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It may not be such a positive during the pandemic.  Regent has to be super aware of how their tour operators disinfect their buses, where they are going, etc.  At this point in time, it seems that excursions put passengers more at risk than being on the ship.  If there were any time to permit "opt outs" of excursions, it would be now.  Those passengers that want to take excursions can and those that would prefer not to can get a credit.

Travelcat2, are you suggesting that any passenger who cancels a prebooked excursion be issued a credit for the tour?  Or are you referring only to Regent Choice (extra fee) excursions?

17 minutes ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

Travelcat2, are you suggesting that any passenger who cancels a prebooked excursion be issued a credit for the tour?  Or are you referring only to Regent Choice (extra fee) excursions?

Good question!   Some long time Regent customers no longer want included or Regent Choice excursions as we have been to the same ports numerous times.  Regent is the most inclusive luxury line and no one wants to change the onboard experience 

Having said that, air, hotels, and excursions are provided by contractors - off of the ship.  If a passenger wants to provide their own hotel or book their own air, they receive a credit (off of their fare).   I have long questioned why we cannot "opt out" of excursions for a credit.  This would in no way change the experience for passengers want to do excursions.

This isn't the thread to discuss this but I wanted to respond to your question.

P.S.  If you pay for a Regent Choice excursion and cancel within the time limit, you do get your money back!

14 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Where we live we are required to wear a mask every day when outside in every situation where you can not maintain 6'.  All stores require masks as well.  I simply do not understand why people are not willing to wear a mask?

Because its very uncomfortable, makes me dizzy!  You're breathing back your own CO2!  Plus, the whole weirdness of just seeing people's eyes...

11 hours ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

Marc, whether or not you "hate those masks" is not the issue.  I think most of us would prefer not to have to wear them.  But the fact is, they save lives.  And let me stress, that's not simply my opinion; it's a documented scientific fact.  So, wearing them on tour busses is not at all "silly", particularly since social distancing is virtually impossible in that situation.  I suspect you might feel differently if a non-mask wearing, asymptomatic seatmate infected you with Covid-19 while on tour.

No, its not a "scientific fact". For every "study" that claims masks save lives, there're others that claim the opposite, in part because the particles of this virus are so small. The WHO tells us its not advised. Even the esteemed Dr Fauci said, until not that long ago,  it gave people a false sense of security. Plus, not all masks are created equal. A medical grade mask is probably superior to me wearing a bandana over my face. Having said all this , if its a requirement for cruising, I respect rules , and would not cruise, as I'm not willing to shell out $1,000/ day to have to do that every time I'm out the door (specially in a Caribbean cruise while sunbathing by the pool!). I guess the socializing aspect of taking a cruise will be eliminated, since by definition "social distancing" would not allow that ( unless you're willing to be shouting table to table). Sounds like a weird experiment to me, one that I'm not interested in taking part of, even if Regent comped my fare. 

11 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Yes, masks protect people around me. Their mask protects me.  So, all must wear to be effective. 

I'm not even admitting that what you say is true, but given that what nowadays is considered an acceptable mask varies so much , you shouldnt depend on what I ( or anybody else) decides to adopt as a mask. For example, I wear a bandana, or a cute cloth mask to my grocery store ( because its required). Is that as effective as an N95, or such? Probably the answer is no. So, is Regent going to go a step further and mandate what kind of mask people need to wear? Good luck with that!

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do see that many posters do not intend to wear a mask on a cruise ship.  Hopefully these same people understand that they may not be able to cruise unless they comply.  It is up to each of us individually to determine whether they can put up with portocols or not.  I really hope that Regent has a form for passengers to sign that they understand and will comply with all protocols (and the consequences if they do not).   

Agree 100% with this! I'm a rules kind of person, if they require masks, I'm not there, as simple as that. Their ship, their rules. 

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I just read the previous posts since yesterday. Too many to quote so here is my 2 cents. I hope I don’t miss the ones that really needed to be addressed:

I have COPD and use O2 most of the time. And, a mobility scooter.  My doctor wants me to continue my lifestyle for as long as I can. I just started going out of our house in Phase 1 here in southern Florida. 
1- I wear a mask when I am out of the house, while using my oxygen ( POC). I don’t know why anyone thinks I am not able do that. 
2- my doctor said we should continue to plan to do our cruise in November. Obviously, taking all necessary  precautions. My husband and I are in our eighties. 
3- I may be at severe risk, but if my doctor agrees, no one should tell us that we shouldn’t do whatever we want in the limited time we have left. 
4- I think there are many more than 10 people who are ready, willing and able to cruise as soon as we can. 
5- those folks who do not want to cruise now, are free to do as they choose. But, please don’t tell us what or whatnot to do. 
6- waiting for a vaccine might not work for us for many reasons, already mentioned. We may not be able to tolerate a live virus etc. 
7 -we so look forward to cruising again, We will wear a mask in public, follow all CDC and ship rules, perhaps not take all the excursions, and enjoy the ambiance of Regent cruises. These necessary precautions will not affect our enjoyment to be on the sea once more, cradled in the lap of luxury. 
sheila and Herb

After reading this post by my good friend Sheila, I would like to say, that everybody is coming from a different place, physically, medically, psychologically. What's good and/or acceptable to you might not be for me, and viceversa. I look forward to cruising once more, but if its not to be due to my requirements, so be it. I'll be living vicariously through those of you that do it.

• Like 1

From Susie >>I was under the impression that Regent tends not to fill the tour buses to maximum capacity, anyway.  Is that correct? <<

Yes, that is correct. I've taken many of Regent tours over the years and the only time I remember a FULL bus was in Colon in early 2020. Most  are about 2/3-3/4 full. No complaints about that.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I'm not even admitting that what you say is true, but given that what nowadays is considered an acceptable mask varies so much , you shouldnt depend on what I ( or anybody else) decides to adopt as a mask. For example, I wear a bandana, or a cute cloth mask to my grocery store ( because its required). Is that as effective as an N95, or such? Probably the answer is no. So, is Regent going to go a step further and mandate what kind of mask people need to wear? Good luck with that!

Perhaps Regent will supply masks or, for those who prefer to provide their own, set a minimum standard? 

4 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

From Susie >>I was under the impression that Regent tends not to fill the tour buses to maximum capacity, anyway.  Is that correct? <<

Yes, that is correct. I've taken many of Regent tours over the years and the only time I remember a FULL bus was in Colon in early 2020. Most  are about 2/3-3/4 full. No complaints about that.

Peggy

And Regent has disinfected all buses before they were put in service each day.  I would assume a much more thorough level of disinfecting in future but disinfecting has been done in the past.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

And Regent has disinfected all buses before they were put in service each day.  I would assume a much more thorough level of disinfecting in future but disinfecting has been done in the past.

Aren't these buses privately owned? If so, is Regent doing their own disinfecting or is it up to the bus company to do what they are requested to do? Does the same hold true for the smaller buses/vans used for small group tours? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Because its very uncomfortable, makes me dizzy!  You're breathing back your own CO2!  Plus, the whole weirdness of just seeing people's eyes...

Some people say that.  What I do when I am not near anyone is make it loose on the sides so you get some air and no molecules.  Had to adjust!

• Like 1

All privately owned.  Each day before the first excursion the buses would arrive and when they were given their signage and instructions Regent also disinfected the buses.  I do not think it was to a standard that would be required now but was done each day.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Like Caroldoll, we are dealing with the mask issue on a daily basis.  On a ship, a person would need two to three masks (cloth).  We hand wash and disinfect masks when we get home.  A cloth mask can also be sprayed with a disinfectant and allowed to dry.  This isn’t a big deal.  N95 masks were meant for single use, however, medical professionals were forced to use them multiple times.  These can also be sprayed with a disinfectant.  

There are masks made of almost anything that you can think of so allergies should not be an issue.  If you have a condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, your should still be able to wear a face shield.  While not as effective, it does not affect your ability to breathe.

Marc - that was an interesting article.  He may have overdone the part about having your temperature taken multiple times a day.  It just takes a second and is already being done in many places that we visit now.  Again, not a big deal for us.

Note:  Carole, did your get your fancy mask locally or online?  If online, could you give us the website name?  Thanks!

Editing to say that I found one site for fancy masks https://www.etsy.com/market/rhinestone_face_mask

Good as I got it on Facebook.  Also Lauren Moshi has some with lips.  I love them.  They are made in LA so come overnight.

Disinfecting the busses is not an issue.  The busses generally stay empty overnight and that is generally enough time for the Covid to die.  The issue is your fellow passengers and the driver and guide.

One contagious passenger may infect the entire bus.  There will be no way to know who might be contagious.

• Like 2