New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

11 minutes ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

I agree, as usual, with what Travelcat2 has posted.  I particularly support her notion of following established guidelines regarding masks.  If someone is not willing to wear a mask onboard, when required, they should be subject to being disembarked at the next port of call.  I've personally witnessed passengers put off the ship for excessive drunkenness and for flagrant disregard of smoking policies, neither of which are truly life threatening.  We all have a choice; either follow the rules (which are for everyone's benefit) or stay home.

I agree also. Before I go I’ll know the protocol...if I don’t want to follow it, I’ll stay home....if I want to go, I’ll follow it. Period. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Passengers have been put off of the ship for not adhering to the smoking policy. in my opinion, not wearing a mask if it is “required” is worse than sneaking a cigarette in your suite (although I am 1000% against smoking in suites).

Agree that Regent does not want to cause any awkward situation, however, in this case it is not only a matter of life or death but it could affect their ability to continue cruising.

BTW, last week I saw a test on television (that may or may not be accurate - I tend to disbelieve most of what I read regarding Covid-19) about 6’ distancing.  While talking at 6’ apart probably works, sneezes and coughs go beyond 6’.  

Those of us with cruises booked for this year are prepared to wear the dreaded mask (definitely uncomfortable but necessary)  I’ve purchased a few masks now that they are available everywhere.  I found one with two layers fabric plus replaceable filters that is fairly comfortable.  In fact, I plan on redoing my avatar with a photo of me in a mask (with a cute saying on it).  As mentioned, if we are going ashore or on a tender, we will wear medical grade masks.

For us, it is either following protocols or staying home.  I admire what Lana is doing.  In our case, due to age, our cruising future is limited and I sure the heck won’t spend more time sitting at home.

If Regent does not insist on following the rules, they will be in trouble with the CDC as well as many passengers.  No one wants to risk their lives over something as silly not wanting to wear masks.  If a passenger does not want to wear a mask, they can sit in their suites (or can stay home and wait until that requirement is no longer necessary).

Joel, sorry if it sounds like I am ranting against you as that is not my intention.  I rarely get angry but anyone wanting to cruise on Regent without wearing a mask (if required) makes me furious.  

You are certainly not ranting against anything that I said.  I'm just presenting what I feel will happen.  You see from the posted comments that a percentage of the Regent clients have no intention of wearing masks.  It's also naive to believe that a cloth mask will offer you any protection.  Masks are designed to protect the people around you and not yourselves. 

Bottom line is that if you choose to cruise in the next year you just need to understand the risks.  The odds of having a working, safe vaccine in the next 12 months are low.  

Joel

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

You are certainly not ranting against anything that I said.  I'm just presenting what I feel will happen.  You see from the posted comments that a percentage of the Regent clients have no intention of wearing masks.  It's also naive to believe that a cloth mask will offer you any protection.  Masks are designed to protect the people around you and not yourselves. 

Bottom line is that if you choose to cruise in the next year you just need to understand the risks.  The odds of having a working, safe vaccine in the next 12 months are low.  

Joel

Yes, masks protect people around me. Their mask protects me.  So, all must wear to be effective. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

Joel

You are right about cloth masks, however, they now have filters for the masks (replaceable) that helps in terms of effectiveness. IMO, wearing a mask and social distancing together is the best solution that we have right now.

I do see that many posters do not intend to wear a mask on a cruise ship.  Hopefully these same people understand that they may not be able to cruise unless they comply.  It is up to each of us individually to determine whether they can put up with portocols or not.  I really hope that Regent has a form for passengers to sign that they understand and will comply with all protocols (and the consequences if they do not).   

rcandkc - just saw your post and obviously agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

Marc, whether or not you "hate those masks" is not the issue.  I think most of us would prefer not to have to wear them.  But the fact is, they save lives.  And let me stress, that's not simply my opinion; it's a documented scientific fact.  So, wearing them on tour busses is not at all "silly", particularly since social distancing is virtually impossible in that situation.  I suspect you might feel differently if a non-mask wearing, asymptomatic seatmate infected you with Covid-19 while on tour.

FF, you missed my primary point (probably because I didn't state it well); I will defer cruising until a mask is not necessary onboard a ship.

Marc

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are right about cloth masks, however, they now have filters for the masks (replaceable) that helps in terms of effectiveness. IMO, wearing a mask and social distancing together is the best solution that we have right now.

I do see that many posters do not intend to wear a mask on a cruise ship.  Hopefully these same people understand that they may not be able to cruise unless they comply.  It is up to each of us individually to determine whether they can put up with portocols or not.  I really hope that Regent has a form for passengers to sign that they understand and will comply with all protocols (and the consequences if they do not).   

rcandkc - just saw your post and obviously agree with you 100%.

Just a point to consider (and in support of what you outline above) --

When I had strep throat on the World Cruise, I was required to wear a mask whenever I was outside my cabin (after a couple of days of "confined to cabin" protocol) until cleared by the medical staff.  Before I left the medical office on that initial visit when I was diagnosed, I had to sign a "discharge" form which contained the details of the visit, the diagnosis, the required treatment (antibiotics), and my responsibilities for the duration of care: Confined to cabin until cleared to leave (2 days in my case), and wear a mask in all public areas until I was told otherwise, with the note that failure to follow the instructions would be grounds for disembarkation at the next available port.  The information about mask wearing and consequences were already pre-printed on the "discharge" form and were checked off by the doctor so it's something that is routine enough to warrant preprinting it on the form.  I was also told that my stewards as well as the food & beverage staff would be made aware of my situation:  the medical office provides a list of guests who are under medical restrictions so they can deal with those restrictions per their respective protocols.

So Regent already requires the wearing of masks in certain situations with clearly spelled out consequences.  I don't think it would be a major issue to expand that requirement under these new circumstances and require guests to sign a consent form prior to boarding, possibly as part of filling out the health questionnaire.

Also on the issue of washing cloth masks, I don't see that as an issue, honestly.  I believe every cabin is equipped with a bathroom that contains at least one sink and either a bathtub or a shower (sometimes both) with a clothesline.  Washing a cloth mask shouldn't be a problem.  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

TC2, I gave the response to Caroldoll's question regarding not understanding "why people are not willing to wear a mask?"  There are legitimate reasons that some people cannot wear masks and/or face shields.  Presuming that anyone is choosing not to wear a mask/face shield is presuming that the individual has a choice and some people cannot make that choice.  Individuals whom I have provided recommendations for include people with diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis, individuals on oxygen, individuals who are unable to use his/her arms, individuals who are blind, etc.  My comments did not relate to whether any of those individuals should cruise under the current circumstances.  

I am interested in what you use as a sanitizer to spray on cloth masks.  The only recommendations that we have here are to wash them in hot water with soap and, depending upon the reason for wearing the mask, using bleach.  The recommendation is also to dry them on the hottest setting in the dryer, although I know some people allow them to air dry and try to place them in sunlight.  Recommendations are also given for ensuring that masks are not shared, not touched by other individuals, etc.  That was the reason that I didn't think that they would work when travelling.  How does a room steward/stewardess clean a cabin/suite that has a cloth mask drying in the suite if they cannot touch it?  How will the person know if it is clean?

If one is sailing on Crystal, there are some suites that have a private washer/dryer, but I don't remember reading that Regent offers a washer/dryer in the suites.

By the way, I, too, wear masks when I go out; I adhere to social distancing; and I frequently wash my hands with soap and water as well as use hand sanitizer.  I have adjusted to this "new" life and it is "second nature" for me to follow all of our government guidelines.  

I have chosen to wait to cruise until I believe that the cruise will be the type of vacation/travel that I wish to experience.  However,  I support every individual making the choice that works best for him/her as long as they follow whatever protocols are in place at the time he/she cruises.  

Edited by mariners

FWIW, I just saw many boxes of the 50 count single use masks at Walgreens for $34.99 and I'm in a reasonably HCOL area.  Guessing, unless a miracle happens and there's no longer a need, we will continue to see availability rise and cost come down going forward, for both single use and reusable masks.  Even three weeks ago you couldn't get a single use mask at the local drug stores.  I also saw 10 count boxes at Ace Hardware this morning!  They had some pretty fabric reusable ones as well.

I plan to use single use masks for medical and hair appointments; I've got about 20 cotton masks at home (two layers cotton with a filter slot).  If I were doing leisure travel, I'd probably bring a ton of single use masks with me, with cloth as a back up.   

Lana - thank you for sharing that story.  I didn't realize that Regent even had masks for passengers but feel that it a good thing!

mariners - I appreciate your explanation and agree with you.  Somehow my brain came up with images of passengers a year from now with some identifying mark/sticker/bracelet indicating whether. you have had the vaccine - cannot have the vaccine - cannot wear a mask or ???  This will never happen but the imagine just came to mind (think that I need a cruise to clear my brain!)

I do wonder what Regent would do with passengers that cannot wear masks.  One might assume that some passengers would not want to be near these people - even though it isn't their fault.  

In terms of sanitation of masks, after a cruise a few years ago, I purchased the same sanitizer that Regent uses (kills norovirus, etc.). It isn't easy to obtain right now but I have small spray bottles that I keep in my handbag.  I take off the mask and lightly spray it inside and out.  Then I spray my gloves before taking them off.

Below is a portion of an article regarding the effectiveness of cloth masks:

• Putting a vacuum filter, or even a coffee filter, between layers of fabric may help as it causes some electrostatic friction which may ‘trap’ particles in the mask so you won’t breathe them. If you go this route, make sure that the mask has a pocket that will allow you to take out the filter when you need to wash the mask. Note that there is very little science around this idea – it’s just based on common sense at this point.

One study done in 2013 showed that 100% cotton t-shirts could have 69% effectiveness in protecting against organisms that are sized similar to flu viruses, and linen has 60-61%. But since COVID-19 is so new, we don’t have data about the levels of protection against this particular virus.

6 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Where we live we are required to wear a mask every day when outside in every situation where you can not maintain 6'.  All stores require masks as well.  I simply do not understand why people are not willing to wear a mask?

Where I live masks are "strongly encouraged" and most people do not wear them.  I do, and am always in the minority.  Of those that do have a mask on, a great many are positioned below their nose and quite a few on the chin below the nose and mouth. 

Some of those actually wearing the mask "properly" are using a mask with a valve, which is rapidly becoming one of my pet peeves.  The valve lets unfiltered air out, defeating the purpose of the mask to protect others.  The only place I have been where the majority were wearing masks was I went to the lab to have my blood drawn recently.  But a woman next to me had a valve on hers that was pointed straight at me -- very bad!  The lab had a sign to "Wait where you are comfortable," i.e. in your car.  But they texted everyone at the same time to come in and then had about 8-10 people in their 8'x10'  waiting room -- neither social distanced nor comfortable.  I certainly home my doctor's office does a better job than this when I go later this week.

People are still people, even on Regent cruises.  Some will push the limits, and if Regent has a mask policy that people don't feel like following, they will almost certainly have to demonstrate their willingness to enforce it very strongly before everyone else will comply.

5 hours ago, mariners said:

Caroldoll, there are many reasons that people might choose not to wear masks, or specific types of masks:  allergies to the fabric/elastic/etc.; allergies and/or diseases that affect breathing; anxiety disorders; ASD including what used to be called high functioning autism; etc.  

Allergies to the mask should be a solvable problem with the variety of masks out there.  I don't know of anyone allergic to ALL fabrics, and you don't need to use elastic.  My favorite masks have ties, not elastics.

I would venture to say that the people who cannot wear a mask because of any breathing disorder are probably at very high risk of having severe consequences if they get the virus and would be unwise to put themselves in a high risk situation such as a cruise, until they have been vaccinated.

As for those with anxiety disorders, it seems like most would be anxious about getting infected and therefore more likely to wear a mask.  IMO, it does offer SOME protection to the wearer, although not as much as it helps protect others.

By far the majority of the people not wearing masks just plain do not want to do so, and care more about their comfort than the risk to others and themselves.  Such an attitude probably does not belong on a cruise ship during a pandemic.

• Like 1

I just read the previous posts since yesterday. Too many to quote so here is my 2 cents. I hope I don’t miss the ones that really needed to be addressed:

I have COPD and use O2 most of the time. And, a mobility scooter.  My doctor wants me to continue my lifestyle for as long as I can. I just started going out of our house in Phase 1 here in southern Florida. 
1- I wear a mask when I am out of the house, while using my oxygen ( POC). I don’t know why anyone thinks I am not able do that. 
2- my doctor said we should continue to plan to do our cruise in November. Obviously, taking all necessary  precautions. My husband and I are in our eighties. 
3- I may be at severe risk, but if my doctor agrees, no one should tell us that we shouldn’t do whatever we want in the limited time we have left. 
4- I think there are many more than 10 people who are ready, willing and able to cruise as soon as we can. 
5- those folks who do not want to cruise now, are free to do as they choose. But, please don’t tell us what or whatnot to do. 
6- waiting for a vaccine might not work for us for many reasons, already mentioned. We may not be able to tolerate a live virus etc. 
7 -we so look forward to cruising again, We will wear a mask in public, follow all CDC and ship rules, perhaps not take all the excursions, and enjoy the ambiance of Regent cruises. These necessary precautions will not affect our enjoyment to be on the sea once more, cradled in the lap of luxury. 
sheila and Herb

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking.  This might be a good opportunity for Regent to walk back the included excursions, or at least make them optional.

If we can afford a luxury cruise, we can afford private excursions.  Some of our best experiences have been doing it this way, and it would certainly help with distancing.

• Like 3

When I read these new rules I doubt the comfort on board the ship. Just think about all these restrictions and the ways of enforcing them. Why would anyone want to be under control while having their vacation.I dont think these new policies will attract many people. But in any case we will have to live and see 

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

When I read these new rules I doubt the comfort on board the ship. Just think about all these restrictions and the ways of enforcing them. Why would anyone want to be under control while having their vacation.I dont think these new policies will attract many people. But in any case we will have to live and see 

How many Regent cruises have you taken? I hope you answer this time. 
Please don’t speak for so many of us that choose to sail ASAP. With Regent!

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Sheila,  I agree with what you said and I apologize if I came off as if telling you not to cruise.  Obviously, that is a personal choice for you to make, weighing the risks and benefits.  (Regent and the CDC might feel differently, but it is not my place to tell you what risks to take.)  My comments should have been made more clearly as being with regard to using illness as an excuse not to wear a mask when required. 

If you have a nasal cannula under your mask with flowing oxygen, that will probably provide you with even more protection than the mask alone, because it will help create more positive pressure behind the mask, flowing air out instead of in.  This will also make your mask not as effective in protecting others (like the valves), but in this situation I think that is a valid trade-off.

8 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Sheila,  I agree with what you said and I apologize if I came off as if telling you not to cruise.  Obviously, that is a personal choice for you to make, weighing the risks and benefits.  (Regent and the CDC might feel differently, but it is not my place to tell you what risks to take.)  My comments should have been made more clearly as being with regard to using illness as an excuse not to wear a mask when required. 

If you have a nasal cannula under your mask with flowing oxygen, that will probably provide you with even more protection than the mask alone, because it will help create more positive pressure behind the mask, flowing air out instead of in.  This will also make your mask not as effective in protecting others (like the valves), but in this situation I think that is a valid trade-off.

Susie

i was not referring to you regarding my O2 and my mask. I think the person was “Mariner”. Thanks for the additional information regarding a better protection for me because of my cannula. I hadn’t thought about it!

Marc

thanks for your support!

cruisethecs
I was appreciative of Marc’s support and think your comment was a bit out of line...

sheila

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Editing to say that I found one site for fancy masks https://www.etsy.com/market/rhinestone_face_mask

Before you go too crazy stocking up on  embellished masks, you might want to keep in mind that rhinestones, sequins, and beads can all get very heavy.  Those fancy masks might not stay up very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, greykitty said:

FWIW, I just saw many boxes of the 50 count single use masks at Walgreens for $34.99 and I'm in a reasonably HCOL area.  Guessing, unless a miracle happens and there's no longer a need, we will continue to see availability rise and cost come down going forward, for both single use and reusable masks.  Even three weeks ago you couldn't get a single use mask at the local drug stores.  I also saw 10 count boxes at Ace Hardware this morning!  They had some pretty fabric reusable ones as well.

I plan to use single use masks for medical and hair appointments; I've got about 20 cotton masks at home (two layers cotton with a filter slot).  If I were doing leisure travel, I'd probably bring a ton of single use masks with me, with cloth as a back up.   

Made in China, no doubt.  🙄

• Like 2

So far I've only got homemade masks, constructed by me out of old fabric, with no sewing machine.  I add a filter of some kind.  They are fine, but not very comfortable for breathing and talking, and a bit hot now that the weather has warmed up.  I ordered some fancy masks from a local business weeks ago, someone who normally makes equestrian gear who has retooled her business to stay afloat--I support this kind of enterprise, but I'm getting impatient.  They are also expensive, about $20 per mask.  I haven't looked for disposable thus far, although tons of people out on the street are wearing them so I believe they're available.

9 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Made in China, no doubt.  🙄

Disposable made in china.   Fabric ones via Etsy and my own neighborhood supposedly made in USA.  Not sure where the cotton was grown or turned into fabric.  

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was thinking.  This might be a good opportunity for Regent to walk back the included excursions, or at least make them optional.

If we can afford a luxury cruise, we can afford private excursions.  Some of our best experiences have been doing it this way, and it would certainly help with distancing.

I'll only speak for myself, but one of the reasons my wife and I prefer Regent is the all inclusive nature of their offerings, including many wonderful shore excursions.  And for the record, sailing with Regent does not imply every passenger has the wherewithal, or even the desire, to opt for private excursions.   

• Like 3