It's June 1st, 2 months until Carnival sail again on Aug 1st...

NavyCruiser

23 hours ago, quattrohead said:

I think the limited startup with a few Carnival branded ships from Florida and Texas will be the testing plan for new working methods for the whole Carnival corporation, the guinea pigs. The dates may get pushed back or new temporary stops to operations put in place, but I think the basic plan is sound.

I am willing to be "tested" on in September on Elation.

I am Also a test subject on the Elation 19 Sept sailing. Hoping to help iron the kinks out

22 hours ago, tybrkr17 said:

I can picture my group flying to Florida, getting to the cruise terminal, and then them announcing that the cruise is cancelled right before we board. (Didn't that happen to folks when cruises paused in March?) So I have a billion back up plans and trip insurance to try to cover the unknown. The world is so uncertain right now. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

DH and I will be cruising September 3, 2020 out of Jacksonville, which is a 5 hour drive from home.  I was thinking about the "what ifs", cancellation on embarkation day and if that happens, is there any immediate compensation?  If an airline cancels your flight you are booked on a later flight and/or given a hotel/meal voucher for being canceled on. Anyone experience compensation by the cruise ships for a day of canceled cruise? TIA!

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I will be cruising September 3, 2020 out of Jacksonville, which is a 5 hour drive from home.  I was thinking about the "what ifs", cancellation on embarkation day and if that happens, is there any immediate compensation?  If an airline cancels your flight you are booked on a later flight and/or given a hotel/meal voucher for being canceled on. Anyone experience compensation by the cruise ships for a day of canceled cruise? TIA!

I have experienced several delayed/shortened Carnival cruises due to weather issues. In all of these situations Carnival adjusted the cruise fare to reflect the missed cruise day(s) and provided varying amounts of OBC. 

Not sure if that completely answers your question. If you are worried about your cruise being cancelled due to COVID-19, it is likely it would be cancelled well in advance. I don’t think there would be a last minute cancellation of a cruise related to COVID-19, unless there was a breakout on the cruise prior to your cruise. If that happened, it would probably be a bad day for the cruising industry as a whole. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have experienced several delayed/shortened Carnival cruises due to weather issues. In all of these situations Carnival adjusted the cruise fare to reflect the missed cruise day(s) and provided varying amounts of OBC. 

Not sure if that completely answers your question. If you are worried about your cruise being cancelled due to COVID-19, it is likely it would be cancelled well in advance. I don’t think there would be a last minute cancellation of a cruise related to COVID-19, unless there was a breakout on the cruise prior to your cruise. If that happened, it would probably be a bad day for the cruising industry as a whole. 

I figured it would be canceled at least a couple days in advance but it was tybkr17 post about flying down to Florida and not being able to board "what if" that made me consider my "what if".  I've never arrived at embarkation and been told there is no cruise, just wondered if anyone else experienced this and if so, what happened.  Thanks for your response!

4 minutes ago, cbh1975 said:

I love Carnival, and I love cruising. I can't wait to get back onboard. That said, I've had wonderful experiences and awful experiences--some on the same ship! So, what you're saying is if I go on my cruise on August 15, and say I had a great cruise, I'm lying about my experience? What if I really do have a great cruise? 

I've been on cruises where there were a few mishaps.  Things that made me step back and take a breath, but it didn't "ruin" my cruise. All my cruises have been great.  Like the old saying goes "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work".  Of course there are exceptions to everything, for instance, the "poop cruise from he!!", etc. I think most folks go on a cruise with the intention of having a good time.  Most seasoned cruisers know that things can happen, a missed port,  a hurricane, norovirus and now Corona. I like to keep a positive attitude and if something goes wrong, then make the best of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I figured it would be canceled at least a couple days in advance but it was tybkr17 post about flying down to Florida and not being able to board "what if" that made me consider my "what if".  I've never arrived at embarkation and been told there is no cruise, just wondered if anyone else experienced this and if so, what happened.  Thanks for your response!

I know a few people personally that flew to their destination the day before their cruise in March, just to find out their cruise was cancelled after they arrived in Florida. This was when the pause happened. So I am preparing myself for the same situation in case a break out happens or something goes down. Like I said, I am preparing for all options in this uncertain time, but hoping for the best. Wish I lived closer to the ports so I can drive so I wouldn't have to worry about flying, on top of the cruise. I am very jealous of the people who can just drive haha but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, regoodwinjr said:

The other issue is that the airlines have been changing their flights. I have seen a few posts in regards that happening to a few people on the 8/1 Magic cruise.

I saw that as well. We usually fly in the day before the cruise, but now we are considering flying in two days before just to give us more cushion for any issues. You never know with connecting flights, etc.

3 hours ago, quattrohead said:

There is no way I would fly to join a cruise anytime soon, the fact that I can drive to Canaveral in 1 hour and Tampa in 2.5 hours is the only reason I have booked the 2 cruises.

Being able to drive to 5 different ports in 4 hours or less from our house is definitely an added bonus living in Florida. It’s nice sleeping in your own bed the night before a cruise knowing that you have a fairly easy drive the next day to the port. It also definitely helps financially. 

• Like 2

I am booked on the September 6th cruise on the Glory on September 6th which will be the first cruise out of New Orleans (if it happens) I am in Northern Mississippi so no flying needed. If this one is cancelled i am looking at January 2021. We have a Balcony and honestly was only $1400 after all the price drops. An ocean suite in January is only 2k so thinking we will splurge for a Suite if cancelled. Had an ocean suite last January and was great

• Like 1

Couldnt stand it, picked the cheapest cruise I could find in august. Could have saved $150 on dates in a few months, but got freedom booked oct 4th. 

I just want to cruise so bad I couldn't stand it. ... besides with freedom 7 day booked in October, after that will have satisfied the itch, just didnt want to wait. I havent been anywhere worse than a walmart in 3 months. I'm tired of sheltering in place. I dont care if I sit alone at a table reading a book, I want to see something besides my 4 walls.

Jimbo? You still think august will be cancelled? 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Couldnt stand it, picked the cheapest cruise I could find in august. Could have saved $150 on dates in a few months, but got freedom booked oct 4th. 

I just want to cruise so bad I couldn't stand it. ... besides with freedom 7 day booked in October, after that will have satisfied the itch, just didnt want to wait. I havent been anywhere worse than a walmart in 3 months. I'm tired of sheltering in place. I dont care if I sit alone at a table reading a book, I want to see something besides my 4 walls.

Jimbo? You still think august will be cancelled? 

Checkout this article. I don't think Carnival is sailing in August.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243180861.html

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Looks encouraging to me!

"Two and a half months after the cruise industry shut down, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the world’s largest cruise companies are nearly in agreement about how to limit COVID-19 outbreaks on ships while cruises remain banned, the agency told the Miami Herald Monday.

The CDC is nearing the end of its review of health and safety plans submitted in April by South Florida-based Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, MSC Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages outlining how the companies will detect, prevent and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus at sea while cruises are stopped. The agency plans to publish the plans in the coming week, along with a scorecard for each ship operating in U.S. waters that reflects its level of infection."

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Looks encouraging to me!

"Two and a half months after the cruise industry shut down, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the world’s largest cruise companies are nearly in agreement about how to limit COVID-19 outbreaks on ships while cruises remain banned, the agency told the Miami Herald Monday.

The CDC is nearing the end of its review of health and safety plans submitted in April by South Florida-based Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, MSC Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages outlining how the companies will detect, prevent and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus at sea while cruises are stopped. The agency plans to publish the plans in the coming week, along with a scorecard for each ship operating in U.S. waters that reflects its level of infection."

This IS ONLY for repatriation of onboard crew members,not for revenue paying guest cruises. I guess you didn't read the whole article.

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This IS ONLY for repatriation of onboard crew members,not for revenue paying guest cruises. I guess you didn't read the whole article.

and how would it differ for paying guests? Cruise lines are leaps and bounds ahead of the general public on land.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

and how would it differ for paying guests? Cruise lines are leaps and bounds ahead of the general public on land.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reading and passing on information. This article quotes a CDC official so it's a fact based information being discussed,not guessing or conjecture.

Here is the part of the article I'm referring to:

The industry is hoping to resume cruises — with passengers on them — as early as this summer. But the plans now being finalized don’t apply to passenger cruises. Cetron said the CDC has not begun to review plans for how to safely operate cruises prior to development of a vaccine.

“This is the bare minimum,” Cetron said of the plans to mitigate spread of the virus on ships while cruising is stopped. “If a line ever wants to get back to full density on board, bringing on board people who are at risk of dying of COVID, they have to be able to control COVID on these ships when their occupancy is 90% less. It will be this plan on steroids.”

Cetron described the cruise companies’ task of protecting future passengers and crew members from COVID-19 as “herculean,” and compared the risk of infection on cruise ships to meat packing plants, long-term care facilities, and prisons.

“You scale that to where your population is global in nature. It’s all of those challenges plus being out at sea without access to rapid medical support that’s needed,” he said.

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reading and passing on information. This article quotes a CDC official so it's a fact based information being discussed,not guessing or conjecture.

Here is the part of the article I'm referring to:

I'm not. Meanwhile 5 finalists for a covid vaccine have been selected in the US and if everything goes smoothly, maybe millions of doses of vaccine available by January.

Fauci said that by the beginning of 2021 “we hope to have” hundreds of millions of doses.

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm not. Meanwhile 5 finalists for a covid vaccine have been selected in the US and if everything goes smoothly, maybe millions of doses of vaccine available by January.

Fauci said that by the beginning of 2021 “we hope to have” hundreds of millions of doses.

And that's great, hopeful news. But that's not going to be helpful to Carnival cruises that plan to start sailing on August 1st. All I was implying was August 1st probably not happening.

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I dont see anything yes or no and I read thru it twice. All I see is the cdc hasnt yet started to review plans to reopen after the no sail order is gone in july. I saw some doctors interviewed with suggestions. Doesnt look like a yes or no or I missed your pt

The industry is hoping to resume cruises — with passengers on them — as early as this summer. But the plans now being finalized don’t apply to passenger cruises. Cetron said the CDC has not begun to review plans for how to safely operate cruises prior to development of a vaccine.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

And that's great, hopeful news. But that's not going to be helpful to Carnival cruises that plan to start sailing on August 1st. All I was implying was August 1st probably not happening.

That is still unknown. Meanwhile Bahamas Paradise seems to be moving forward with resuming at the end of July. You can read about some of their modifications:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruises-set-to-resume-july-25.html

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That is still unknown. Meanwhile Bahamas Paradise seems to be moving forward with resuming at the end of July. You can read about some of their modifications:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruises-set-to-resume-july-25.html

Yes that gambling cruise out of palm beach unless its moved since I lived there.

I'm just saying rules have to be applied to all equally. Good luck to them. If they get going carnival stands a good chance.

• Like 1

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

How does one "block" someone on CC? Does that block the thread they are on or just their responses?  TIA!

Hover over their screen name, then you will see the option to ignore the user.  Once you click on that, it will bring you to some additional options.  It's so refreshing to read the boards without all of those political posts.  I think the majority of us come to CC to actually talk about cruising and get away from politics.