New notice on Princess webpage: "Offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here"

CineGraphic

I'm not sure how long this has been up there, but this is the current update on the top of their main webpage.

"We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols."

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm not sure how long this has been up there, but this is the current update on the top of their main webpage.

"We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols."

I see this at the top of Princess website main / home page. It is very recent. 

6 hours ago, caribill said:

NCL has posted how their cruises will be different in the future:

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

Having read that NCL is doing a refit of their aircon filters, I wonder if Princess is also going to do the same ? It's always been a concern of mine that the aircon system could be the route of onboard bugs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron the Rev said:

Having read that NCL is doing a refit of their aircon filters, I wonder if Princess is also going to do the same ? It's always been a concern of mine that the aircon system could be the route of onboard bugs.  

In my mind the refit of the filters is window dressing and not much more. Will it help? Well, it wont hurt but if 20 people get on a ship with Coronavirus, all the filters in the world aren't going to stop them spreading it. What's the one common thing about all cruise ships? Lineups. Lineup for dinner, lineup at the buffet, lineup to get off the ship, lineup to get on the ship, lineup at the pool bar for a drink, lineup along the railings for sailaway, lineup for that can't miss "free draw" at the Effy sale and on and on. Those 20 people are going to be those lineups with other passengers.

Cruising is going to be a difficult thing for me to commit to without a vaccine or a viable anti-viral treatment. Cramming thousands of people together in a modified torpedo tube still brings hazards that no filter is going to fix and adding to the complexity will be, what happens when there is an outbreak on a ship? Will I be floating around the ocean for 2 months, locked in my room as people drop like flies? Not to mention getting my money back should I or the cruiseline cancel. I just finished a 2.5 month battle with Princess. From a purely financial point of view, I may need some sort of Escrow Client if I'm going to commit thousands to a cruise that may not happen. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

....Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols."

My best guess is they put these words in there as a preemptive CYA for the likely next rounds of cancellations.  They won’t have to give back anything except deposit refunds when they cancel. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

My best guess is they put these words in there as a preemptive CYA for the likely next rounds of cancellations.  They won’t have to give back anything except deposit refunds when they cancel. 

I'm thinking/hoping it's more towards itinerary changes, or services available on board, such as no buffet, etc.

• Like 3

I would suspect that they are giving a vague warning that regulators may impose changes that may impact customers expectations.  They may also be warning us that there may be itinerary changes due to destinations keeping ports closed or imposing stringent requirements that Princess and cruisers can't live with.

Now I have a question for the more knowledgeable members of CC.  If you book a particular cruise because of a specific desired destination (for example Hawaii) but the destination port is closed before the sailing date, could Princess change the itinerary and substitute Mexican ports for the Hawaii ones?  If they made such a major change in itinerary in advance, can a person cancel and get a refund or an insurance reimbursement?  Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you book a particular cruise because of a specific desired destination (for example Hawaii) but the destination port is closed before the sailing date, could Princess change the itinerary and substitute Mexican ports for the Hawaii ones?  If they made such a major change in itinerary in advance, can a person cancel and get a refund or an insurance reimbursement? 

According to their terms, they can change anything for any reason.

44 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

According to their terms, they can change anything for any reason.

So if they made such a drastic change to the itinerary, do you think insurance would cover it if you cancelled? (Assuming no CFAR)

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So if they made such a drastic change to the itinerary, do you think insurance would cover it if you cancelled? (Assuming no CFAR)

It depends on the policy; for most of them an itinerary change is not a covered reason. There was one a couple years ago that covered a $ amount for itinerary changes, but this would not give you full cancellation coverage. And I have not looked into that policy recently; they may have scaled back this coverage.  More info is on the Cruise Insurance board.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm thinking/hoping it's more towards itinerary changes, or services available on board, such as no buffet, etc.

It likely has everything to do with the fact that once protocols are approved, a more limited number of ships will sail, capacity limits will impact cruise choice and and itineraries could/will change.  The NCL protocol info put out yesterday speaks to itinerary changes being a fact of life going forward based on circumstances.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I would suspect that they are giving a vague warning that regulators may impose changes that may impact customers expectations.  They may also be warning us that there may be itinerary changes due to destinations keeping ports closed or imposing stringent requirements that Princess and cruisers can't live with.

Now I have a question for the more knowledgeable members of CC.  If you book a particular cruise because of a specific desired destination (for example Hawaii) but the destination port is closed before the sailing date, could Princess change the itinerary and substitute Mexican ports for the Hawaii ones?  If they made such a major change in itinerary in advance, can a person cancel and get a refund or an insurance reimbursement?  Thanks in advance.

In truth the cruiselines always reserved the right to do this and we've seen drastic changes many times in the past. For example, hurricane season frequently results in changes. I've seen Eastern Caribbean cruises suddenly change to Western cruises.

Its another bit of complexity that will make cruising in the short term a little more erratic and unpredictable. We've taken 29 cruises in 20 years. Number 30 is a long way off at this point. 

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I enjoy being on a ship, so I don't care where it goes, and I'm doubtful most insurance policies would cover a cancellation, except for CFAR, ("cancel for any reason" for those of you who were wondering).

What I'm more concerned about is how much will change on board, and we all know that there will be plenty of changes. I'll need to experience these changes firsthand to decide for myself if cruising will still be my vacation of choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I enjoy being on a ship, so I don't care where it goes, and I'm doubtful most insurance policies would cover a cancellation, except for CFAR, ("cancel for any reason" for those of you who were wondering).

What I'm more concerned about is how much will change on board, and we all know that there will be plenty of changes. I'll need to experience these changes firsthand to decide for myself if cruising will still be my vacation of choice.

I enjoy being on a ship, but if I'm spending a lot to see Tahiti, I wouldn't be too happy with Princess telling me Cabo is 'just as good'...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

☝️  This. I worry that I simply may not enjoy the experience anymore once I find out what the changes are going to be.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I enjoy being on a ship, but if I'm spending a lot to see Tahiti, I wouldn't be too happy with Princess telling me Cabo is 'just as good'...

I agree. I doubt that drastic of a change will happen. I’ve been on a few cruises where the ports have been changed or dropped after we sailed., but nothing that mattered to us. 
I foresee changes to food service, number of passengers &  crew, ports denying entry,   Entry requirements for different countries, Visas, health: fitness to sail etc. That Princess may not know at the time you booked. This statement is just to let us know there’s more to come. 

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

☝️  This. I worry that I simply may not enjoy the experience anymore once I find out what the changes are going to be.

and that's exactly why there needs to be numerous 'short' cruises on the east and west coasts of the USA to see if people are all like - OK let's go or OK, I'm done ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and that's exactly why there needs to be numerous 'short' cruises on the east and west coasts of the USA to see if people are all like - OK let's go or OK, I'm done ...

Waiting for your feedback. 

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Just booked a baja peninsula one for January.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I believe back during one of the previous flu outbreaks they replaced Mexican cruises with California coastal cruises.  So there is a bit of a precedent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caribill said:

NCL has posted how their cruises will be different in the future:

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

The most cogent statement I've read from any cruise line.  It confirms that cruise lines are still researching and making adjustments to when ships will be ready to restart, itineraries, passenger procedures (social distancing) in public spaces to include dining venues and theaters, boarding and disembarking procedures, emergency drills, and even procedures for ports requiring tendering, etc.  It also confirms that bookings for selected cabins and ports should be considered flexible.  Booking today for something a year away is fantasy.  Cruise lines do not know what will be available, which ports will be "open," and what ship loadings will be permitted.  We are a long ways away from any kind of accurate booking availability.  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1