How about a cruise to nowhere October- November 2020

Each to their own.  No way will go on a ship that goes nowhere and no way will I go in the Fall when there could be a second wave.  

Thanks, I’ll pass.  It’s not worth the airfare for that IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

If Holland America can't do a cruise to a port.  Till next year  , how about a cruise to nowhere (no ports) Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale. Hay port fees will be low.

We  will go   any Holland America ship. October November sign me up.

We would go in a heartbeat, except we can’t leave Canada.😔

It's against the law for a foreign flagged ship to leave and depart from the same US port per the PSVA:  From Wikipedia---

"No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 [now $762] for each passenger so transported and landed."

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act, however,

• does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port, provided the ship visits any foreign port;
  • does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a distant foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America);"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Edited by oakridger
Added info

16 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

If Holland America can't do a cruise to a port.  Till next year  , how about a cruise to nowhere (no ports) Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale. Hay port fees will be low.

GROAN

Sounds perfectly awful  IMO

I don't think that would attract many 'interesting '   cruisers

BORING   !

JMO

Just a  Guess, but do you live in Florida?  FLL  ?  🙂

Only possible explanation I can think of at this moment.

Edited by sail7seas

Actually the referenced article is incomplete. A cruise to nowhere is permitted under the PVSA. However, there was a ruling that crew on a cruise to nowhere would be considered to be working in the US and have to have work visas and be covered under US wage and other laws.

check out this thread -- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2740384-cruises-to-nowhere/?tab=comments#comment-59596925

for discussion.

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Actually the referenced article is incomplete. A cruise to nowhere is permitted under the PVSA. However, there was a ruling that crew on a cruise to nowhere would be considered to be working in the US and have to have work visas and be covered under US wage and other laws.

check out this thread -- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2740384-cruises-to-nowhere/?tab=comments#comment-59596925

for discussion.

Thanks for the added/complete information richwmn! 

~Nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

What is the bit about can't leave Canada?  Huh?

The border between the US and Canada is still closed to the casual population.   (I believe)  Plus, if they happened to sneak across the border (catch 'em, put 'em in cages), Florida asks for a 14 day quarantine still. (I believe)

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

GROAN

Sounds perfectly awful  IMO

I don't think that would attract many 'interesting '   cruisers

BORING   !

JMO

So is your back yard, until you’ve been stuck in the house for a few months! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Been discussed here many times. Not legal.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The border between the US and Canada is still closed to the casual population.   (I believe)  Plus, if they happened to sneak across the border (catch 'em, put 'em in cages), Florida asks for a 14 day quarantine still. (I believe)

Plus, while the Federal Government has indicated the border is closed to casual travel, if one does cross any provincial and private health plans are nullified.  I would not want to be outside my country without health care coverage.

Edited by Sue from Canada

Even if it was allowed to cross borders that cruise does not sound very interesting. We have beautiful sun rises/ sun sets where we live, I can drink the same drinks on my back deck/yard. Other then having to cook & clean our self, does not appeal to us. 

14 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

how about a cruise to nowhere (no ports) Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale.

While Fort Lauderdale could be a good port to try this from, it is far too far for us to travel, and non-essential travel is still prohibited for Canadians, I think.  Also, I would not risk being on the first few cruises that sail.

3 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

ummm..... flights are now operating between Canada and the U.S.

Indeed there are, and there have been all along. However, nonessential travel between the two countries is banned, and the ban has been extended yet again. 
And for us, the fact that out of country medical insurance is currently void means that we can’t leave Canada.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, richwmn said:

for discussion.

What about two stops in the Bahamas, one being Nassau and the other being HMC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

What about two stops in the Bahamas, one being Nassau and the other being HMC?

If there are stops in ports, it's not a cruise to nowhere.

Certainly such a cruise is permissible, as long as it's a round trip cruise.   Of course, it depends on whether the Bahamas is allowing ships to port......