Temperature Screening

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m sure if your temperature was high they would give an opportunity to cool down. I had cataract surgery Thursday. We all had our temperature tested. We were tested with the with forehead device. The gentleman in front of me had a temp just over 100.  They had him sit aside and then tested him by mouth a few minutes later after sitting in the AC.  He was fine. It was hot outside, probably 90. 

Hope your surgery was successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes. Both eyes doing great. Thanks for asking. It was getting to the point where it was very difficult to focus on anything. No glasses needed now. I can drive at night now. 

That's great news, I'm pleased for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Even during a "hot flash", my temperature doesn't rise...just MY FEELING that I'm on fire does.  When I actually have a fever, I know it...I feel like crap, and I have CHILLS.  

It is typical to feel chills when your temperature is rising. People feel hot and sweaty when the temp starts to break and is falling. People tend to make the process worse by wrapping up in blankets when they feel those chills.

If anyone is interested I can bore you with the reasons why this occurs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its such a useless procedure. These electronic screening wont show the exact temperature of your body. Moreover,  they wont help to avoid sick people getting on board case its not necessarily about your body temperature.  

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

And what makes you think they WON'T have thought of all these things and made a plan?? 

Agree, will be plan before ships sail. Would bet even have CV test's on board to administer when symptoms show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is typical to feel chills when your temperature is rising. People feel hot and sweaty when the temp starts to break and is falling. People tend to make the process worse by wrapping up in blankets when they feel those chills.

Yes please.

2 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

Similar situation at my company.  Our health screening checkpoints in hot weather locations quickly discovered that you can't reliably temp screen someone that has been outside in 100+F degree weather with a quick forehead IR gun scan.  We tried to keep these checkpoints outside of buildings and under shade tents.  The false-positive rate made this useless when ambient temps were that high.

We've modified our procedures and now do screenings indoors at locations with really hot weather.  That's working; it just took some logistics to figure out how to bring it indoors with minimized risk.  Just a couple of minutes in A/C has been sufficient to make a quick IR scan reliable again.

At my workplace we have temperature checks twice a day. If your temperature is above the threshold you rest for 10mins and try again. If it’s still high you have to work from home for the next 2 weeks. It’s been running for a couple of months now and it’s simple enough.
But this is just going to work and everyone is within commuting distance of their home. 

It’s completely different on a vacation that you’ve paid thousands of euro/dollars for. There are way more questions and answers with all aspects of cruising. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Very much interested... Please bore away. 

56 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes please.

So normally your body is around 98F degrees. Something causes the termostat in your head to now be set at 102F. You feel cold and chilled because your body is cooler than the setting in your head and this is when people rap up in blankets to hold in heat. That, and shivering, warm the body up. The blankets really should be avoided as you don't want your internal environment that warm and it is more heat that you then have to get rid of. Once your body warms up to the setting the chills go away. Now the termostat gets set back down to 98F but your body is at 102F so now your feel hot and sweaty until your body cools down to the 98F setting..... That is about the easiest way to explain it.

Fevers are part of the immune response. The key when someone is ill is the keep the temperature in a safe range but not necessarily to get it to normal. Completely knocking out a fever can blunt your immune response and prolong an illness.

Heat stroke is a completely different issue in that your body is simply unable to dissipate heat and the temp goes up typically because it is low on fluid. It is a true medical emrrgency.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So normally your body is around 98F degrees. Something causes the termostat in your head to now be set at 102F. You feel cold and chilled because your body is cooler than the setting in your head and this is when people rap up in blankets to hold in heat. That, and shivering, warm the body up. Once your body warms up to the setting the chills go away. Now the termostat gets set back down to 98F but your body is at 102F so now your feel hot and sweaty until your body cools down to the 98F setting..... That is about the easiest way to explain it.

Thanks... so I have gotten my temp taken everyday since Wed. as I attend to my mother who is in Hospice.  It has ranged between 97.1 and 97.5. each time.  If I understand you correctly I will be more quickly affected by a rise in body temp since I typically run a little cooler than most. Would this give me more leeway when boarding the ship after a day in port? Also, would applying sun screen and wearing a hat have any impact on my thermally scanned temp since I am shielding my forehead from direct sunlight?

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks... so I have gotten my temp taken everyday since Wed. as I attend to my mother who is in Hospice.  It has ranged between 97.1 and 97.5. each time.  If I understand you correctly I will be more quickly affected by a rise in body temp since I typically run a little cooler than most. Would this give me more leeway when boarding the ship after a day in port? Also, would applying sun screen and wearing a hat have any impact on my thermally scanned temp since I am shielding my forehead from direct sunlight?

Anything that shields you from direct sunlight will help keep your internal temp down. Think of parking your car in the shade vs. Non-shade. Sunscreen has no bearing as it blocks UV light but not heat. Though some hats can actually cause you to retain heat as they block heat loss from your head. So mesh hats are better than typical baseball type hats. An umbrella is probably best as it blocks the sun but does not hinder heat escape.

If your normal body temp is a bit below 98 then, yes, you would have a little more leeway before you get to the cutoff the screeners are set at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So normally your body is around 98F degrees. Something causes the termostat in your head to now be set at 102F. You feel cold and chilled because your body is cooler than the setting in your head and this is when people rap up in blankets to hold in heat. That, and shivering, warm the body up. The blankets really should be avoided as you don't want your internal environment that warm and it is more heat that you then have to get rid of. Once your body warms up to the setting the chills go away. Now the termostat gets set back down to 98F but your body is at 102F so now your feel hot and sweaty until your body cools down to the 98F setting..... That is about the easiest way to explain it.

Fevers are part of the immune response. The key when someone is ill is the keep the temperature in a safe range but not necessarily to get it to normal. Completely knocking out a fever can blunt your immune response and prolong an illness.

Heat stroke is a completely different issue in that your body is simply unable to dissipate heat and the temp goes up typically because it is low on fluid. It is a true medical emrrgency.

Thank you.

Very helpful.

Graham

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What will the body temperature register after baking all day  in the sun on the sun deck or at the beach?

I would imagine if you sweat your ass off, your internal body temperature should be very close to normal.

58 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I think rectal is the only accurate way for the cruise lines to take your temp

They're already there, might as well do a temp check also.  (Referring to possible higher prices during recovery from this crisis due to lack of inventory from reduced capacity).

Cool towels soaked in ice water will be on everyone's head on the cruise. They will no longer be able to serve frozen drinks or drinks on the rocks because all ice will be used to put towels on your head. I did a small test the other day. I am a big guy. 15 minutes on the elliptical raised my temp from low 98 to 100.5. That is about the same amount it would be walking in 85 degrees down the dock to the ship. It was 72 degrees in my house for the test.

This is used in many airports around the world.

The non-contact screening is SCREENING.  If you show high, they pull you aside and check your temperature by a more accurate method of determining your actual body temp.

Standing in the hot sun may raise your skin temperature, but it will not make your body temp go above 100.3.

The issue with COVID 19 is that people are infectious even without ANY symptoms.  So temp screening is of limited value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:39 AM, bouhunter said:

This is from a new NCL announcement on things to come:

Temperature Screenings
Touchless temperature checks will occur:

• Prior to embarkation
  • Upon returning to the ship from a port of call
  • Prior to all meals in dining venues
  • Prior to all activities in public venues
  • Prior to disembarkation

If they don't have a way to QUICKLY test for Covid, one has to wonder how many guests with normal colds and flu's will get caught up in this, and what they'll do with all of them..

Sounds like there will be temperature check lines all over the ships all the time...….

Hi,

Dogs can be trained to detect people that are infected.

The sniff armpits!

Interestingly some detected people that were negative with the normal

screening test. They re-screened these people and they were

found to be positive! Looks like the dogs are more accurate!!