This is from a new NCL announcement on things to come:

Temperature Screenings
Touchless temperature checks will occur:

• Prior to embarkation
  • Upon returning to the ship from a port of call
  • Prior to all meals in dining venues
  • Prior to all activities in public venues
  • Prior to disembarkation

If they don't have a way to QUICKLY test for Covid, one has to wonder how many guests with normal colds and flu's will get caught up in this, and what they'll do with all of them..

Sounds like there will be temperature check lines all over the ships all the time...….

This is one of the reasons we will wait several months after cruises resume to see how things are handled onboard. If the temperature screenings are automatic and monitored via cameras / facial recognition, then it shouldn’t be much of an issue as far as delaying passengers. If they are using handheld thermal scanners at each of those locations it sounds like there will be lots of long lines to deal with multiple times a day. That doesn’t sound like an enjoyable vacation to us.

• Like 2

So with women,  hot flashes during menopause. Are they going to be stopped with high temperatures.......then what happens ? They are pulled asided and entire ship begins to be quaratined the rest of the trip?

Just sounds like alot of holes in these procedures..............I can wait to cruise, we canceled and adjusted everything out................Next cruise not until September 2021...........I can sit back and relax and watch this thing play out, I'm in no rush to get back on a ship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

colds and flu's will get caught up in this,

Colds maybe, but if you have the Flu you should NOT be cruising.

I noted it in the NCL thread - spend a day in the sun (either walking around port or sunbathing) and you will come back to the ship with an elevated temp.  Will it reach 100.3? Maybe not, but when they started active temperature monitoring for entrance to some office complexes I heard stories of people getting rejected for high temperatures while their only "crime" was driving there with the heat blasting.

• Like 1

Along with a thousand other employees, I get temperature checked every morning as I walk from the parking lot into the building at my company. Its quick and painless. Just like with cruising, a lot of employees protested summoning the same arguments (long lines, what if i have a temperature thats not covid related, invasion of privacy, etc).

Protocols are in place to handle these concerns, and after going through the process over and over for months now, its truly a non-event. I dont even think about it. I believe I'll feel the same way when cruising.

I understand and respect the desire of many to shy away from cruising until either these measures are no longer in effect, or until some time goes by after their implementation. That's OK. We are all different and have different health concern and tolerance levels for new rules and protocols. It's OK to stay home. But for those who are ready to cruise, temperature checks, along with other protocols, are all a small nuisance. 

Personally, I'm glad that Covid has tightened measures that will minimize the number of cruisers who knowingly sail sick, not only with covid, but with many other spreadable diseases. It's long overdue.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

In the hot and humid climate especially in the summer time if a person got hot because of the climate and also from lugging all those luggages around,  rushing to the terminal etc....  their body temperature get  hot what happened then?

One time I was going through the airport's screening going into the full body scanner "millimeter wave" scanner and  it detected something.   TSA then searched me found nothing.  I asked them what could cause the false alarm.   They said it could be because the weather there is hot and it raised my body temperature.

I would guess in the covid-19 screening case,  if someone's body temperature is high,  they would do more details screening and that would means a bottleneck on boarding depends on how many people would have false positives.   Just imagine coming back from a full day on a Caribbean port hot, humid after spending the day on sunny beach at an all inclusive resort with all you can drink alcohol,  that will raise your body temperature.   😀

Edited by StrikeEagle
  • Like 1

We did temperature check before boarding MSC Meraviglia late February. You stood on a marked spot and then was told “you can go”. Very fast. It was very similar to facial recognition that RC has in Terminal A in Miami. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

If they don't have a way to QUICKLY test for Covid, one has to wonder how many guests with normal colds and flu's will get caught up in this, and what they'll do with all of them..

A "normal flu"???  Someone with a "normal flu" should be quarantined so they don't spread it around to everyone else.  Influenza is a really big deal, particularly with an older population (just like COVID).  

If someone with a hot flash gets pulled aside, they can have their temperature taken orally and show that it's just a hot flash and not a fever. 

Same thing for someone who is sunburned -- an oral temperature check will show that it's just the skin that is too hot, not the body itself (it just feels like you're on fire!).  And if your sunburn is so severe that you have a true fever, you need medical attention for the sunburn anyway!

A standard cold (rhinovirus) doesn't typically cause a fever.  

As for bottlenecks if someone is "coming in hot", I envision it being treated like with Customs or with TSA.  Most people go through the facial recognition with Customs or through the metal detector and x-ray machine at TSA just fine -- you get the green checkmark and continue on your way, but if someone sets off the alarm, they get pulled aside and go through additional screening with different personnel while the rest of the line continues normally.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

A "normal flu"???  Someone with a "normal flu" should be quarantined so they don't spread it around to everyone else.  Influenza is a really big deal, particularly with an older population (just like COVID).  

I was not in any way implying that anyone with the flu should board a ship, or shouldn't be quarantined.  And some people will invariable come down with symptoms AFTER boarding.  Just that there are many reasons someone could have a fever after they embark (cold, flu, infected tooth, on and on).  They'll need a way to test for covid, and have a plan for how to handle that and all the other things that might cause an above average temperature.  

Common cold can cause "low grade fever" - google it.  I guess they'll have to determine how much temp puts someone into whatever protocol they come up with.....

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

In the hot and humid climate especially in the summer time if a person got hot because of the climate and also from lugging all those luggages around,  rushing to the terminal etc....  their body temperature get  hot what happened then?

One time I was going through the airport's screening going into the full body scanner "millimeter wave" scanner and  it detected something.   TSA then searched me found nothing.  I asked them what could cause the false alarm.   They said it could be because the weather there is hot and it raised my body temperature.

I would guess in the covid-19 screening case,  if someone's body temperature is high,  they would do more details screening and that would means a bottleneck on boarding depends on how many people would have false positives.   Just imagine coming back from a full day on a Caribbean port hot, humid after spending the day on sunny beach at an all inclusive resort with all you can drink alcohol,  that will raise your body temperature.   😀

I’m sure if your temperature was high they would give an opportunity to cool down. I had cataract surgery Thursday. We all had our temperature tested. We were tested with the with forehead device. The gentleman in front of me had a temp just over 100.  They had him sit aside and then tested him by mouth a few minutes later after sitting in the AC.  He was fine. It was hot outside, probably 90. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

We take our employees temps every morning. If they test above 100.4 we have them rest and retake their temp 10 minutes later. Every time they have tested normal the second time. The Florida heat is brutal.

Sounds like they'll need air conditioned waiting lounges for Caribbean cruises 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I was not in any way implying that anyone with the flu should board a ship, or shouldn't be quarantined.  And some people will invariable come down with symptoms AFTER boarding.  Just that there are many reasons someone could have a fever after they embark (cold, flu, infected tooth, on and on).  They'll need a way to test for covid, and have a plan for how to handle that and all the other things that might cause an above average temperature.  

Common cold can cause "low grade fever" - google it.  I guess they'll have to determine how much temp puts someone into whatever protocol they come up with.....

And what makes you think they WON'T have thought of all these things and made a plan?? 

6 hours ago, bouhunter said:

This is from a new NCL announcement on things to come:

Temperature Screenings
Touchless temperature checks will occur:

• Prior to embarkation
  • Upon returning to the ship from a port of call
  • Prior to all meals in dining venues
  • Prior to all activities in public venues
  • Prior to disembarkation

Sounds like there will be temperature check lines all over the ships all the time...….

What would they do if say 200 people had an elevated temperature during the cruise ?

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What would they do if say 200 people had an elevated temperature during the cruise ?

To quote Mark Cuban when was asked about checking temps as people enter the  arena,  just lick your finger, touch your forehead and get a instant 1 degree drop. 

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

We take our employees temps every morning. If they test above 100.4 we have them rest and retake their temp 10 minutes later. Every time they have tested normal the second time. The Florida heat is brutal.

Similar situation at my company.  Our health screening checkpoints in hot weather locations quickly discovered that you can't reliably temp screen someone that has been outside in 100+F degree weather with a quick forehead IR gun scan.  We tried to keep these checkpoints outside of buildings and under shade tents.  The false-positive rate made this useless when ambient temps were that high.

We've modified our procedures and now do screenings indoors at locations with really hot weather.  That's working; it just took some logistics to figure out how to bring it indoors with minimized risk.  Just a couple of minutes in A/C has been sufficient to make a quick IR scan reliable again.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tapi said:

Along with a thousand other employees, I get temperature checked every morning as I walk from the parking lot into the building at my company. Its quick and painless. Just like with cruising, a lot of employees protested summoning the same arguments (long lines, what if i have a temperature thats not covid related, invasion of privacy, etc).

Protocols are in place to handle these concerns, and after going through the process over and over for months now, its truly a non-event. I dont even think about it. I believe I'll feel the same way when cruising.

I understand and respect the desire of many to shy away from cruising until either these measures are no longer in effect, or until some time goes by after their implementation. That's OK. We are all different and have different health concern and tolerance levels for new rules and protocols. It's OK to stay home. But for those who are ready to cruise, temperature checks, along with other protocols, are all a small nuisance. 

Personally, I'm glad that Covid has tightened measures that will minimize the number of cruisers who knowingly sail sick, not only with covid, but with many other spreadable diseases. It's long overdue.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandebeach said:

We did temperature check before boarding MSC Meraviglia late February. You stood on a marked spot and then was told “you can go”. Very fast. It was very similar to facial recognition that RC has in Terminal A in Miami. 

Sounds reasonable, thanks for posting.