Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 9th June 2020

bluemarble

On 6/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, tv24 said:

Some good news for us.  Today we had posted to our AmEx card a full refund for our westbound QM2 crossing that would have happened in just a couple of days, on June 21.  Cunard retained $600 which is from the open future cruise deposits that we had used for this crossing.  I requested the refund April 24, so the completion of the refund was less than 60 days.  No one likes to wait for a refund, but I give Cunard some credit for handling this one fairly well.  My comparison is to Seabourn, where we are still waiting for a refund requested March 15, almost 100 days ago.  Good luck to those who are waiting.

I was supposed to be boarding this crossing today in LeHavre.  I also requested full refund when this was cancelled on April 24.  I've been checking my Visa card daily and still no credit posted.  If it's not there by next week I may just file a dispute with the cc company.  I probably should have done this back in April since the cc company issues a credit of the disputed amount within a couple of days.   There is absolutely no reason why Cunard should take 60 days to issue the credit...it should have been done by them on the day it was cancelled.  

For those keepiing score: Full refund finally credited to our cc account for 31 May Norway cruise.  Booking cancelled by us on 3 April after getting assurances from Cunard on "hardship" grounds  (planned TA travel to UK already cancelled by Cunard, plus a lockdown order here at home) that a full refund would be made (no FCC), and then cruise totally cancelled by Cunard a few days later.  Elapsed time: 76 calendar days.  Better late than never.  This included return air fare booked through Cunard.

Good luck to all still waiting.

Edited by Neuhoftraveler
  • Like 1

I received full refund for my May 31st transatlantic cruise on June 18th!  This was 55 days from when I requested it.  I am still waiting for something/anything from an MSC cruise that was canceled in mid March (over 90 days ago) so I am very impressed with Cunard and grateful.

• Like 1

Things are happening!  We applied for a refund for our Alaskan cruise scheduled for June 2nd on the 23rd of April and received it today.  Exactly 60 days as promised. Thanks for all those updating this site.  It made the wait much more bearable. 

• Like 1

Yipeeee......... finally received my refund from Cunard and it only took 85 days.

We were booked on the QM2 crossing June 14th, New York to Southampton.

Fingers cross things will improve as we have booked QM2 next June 23rd, W/B.

• Like 1

Refund cheque received by our travel agent this morning. Requested refund 16 March, so 3 months 8 days waiting time.

Cruise was 15 March QE 11 night New Zealand.

so for the Aussies good news the refunds are coming.

• Like 2

refund appears in my credit card account but they claim it takes a week to verify and release it to me/my bank

fcc part of refund not clear and TA has not been able to confirm since it was divided among 3 passengers even though I paid all of it. just very weary

37 minutes ago, caroltovt said:

... fcc part of refund not clear and TA has not been able to confirm since it was divided among 3 passengers even though I paid all of it. ...

Perhaps I can clarify this part for you, caroltovt, concerning how FCC is issued. My understanding is that FCC is applied toward the Cunard account of each individual passenger on the booking, based on the fare that was charged for each passenger, regardless of who may have actually made the payment.

Per the "Future Cruise Credit" FAQ on the Cunard website:

(Q) Which guests on the booking will receive Future Cruise Credit?

(A) Future Cruise Credit will be split across all guests in the party.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sydgal said:

Refund cheque received by our travel agent this morning. Requested refund 16 March, so 3 months 8 days waiting time.

Cruise was 15 March QE 11 night New Zealand.

so for the Aussies good news the refunds are coming.

Yes - Cunard have advised me that they have sent cheques for our three cancelled cruises to our TA - but they have qualified that by saying that it could take up to 20 days to " arrive" - arrive where ?, I am not sure. 

3 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - Cunard have advised me that they have sent cheques for our three cancelled cruises to our TA - but they have qualified that by saying that it could take up to 20 days to " arrive" - arrive where ?, I am not sure. 

Bazza, my TA said 20 days for the cheque to arrive to them, then clearances, etc, etc, so possibly another 40 days after that. Hope you fare better.

Cunard Refund Data Point:

Ship:  Queen Elizabeth

Sail date:  12 June 2020 (10 days British Columbia (BC)/Alaska; Vancouver return)

Purchased through:  TA (“Big Box” store in Canada; you know the one…sells Kirkland brand)

Cancelled by Cunard:  23 April 2020

Refund request sent:  23 April 2020; I used online link on Cunard website

Refund request acknowledged by Cunard:  23 April 2020, online

Refund in online RBC Visa account in CAD $:  23 June 2020

Refund posted date in online RBC Visa account:  18 June 2020

How many Cunard refund line items in RBC Visa account, and what did it say?  There was one line item only, and it said, “CUNARD SERVICES VANCOUVER BC”

Did you contact Cunard, TA, or file dispute with RBC Visa credit card?  No, I just let the refund run its course.

What was refunded to RBC Visa credit card?  

100% total package price, which included:

·       Basic cruise fare;

·       Taxes, Fees, & Port Expenses (TF & PE); and

·       Cunard cruise line insurance.

Note 1:  RBC = Royal Bank of Canada; and

Note 2:  Our two travelling companions from Nanaimo, BC, booked their cabin through a different TA for this cruise, and they received their refund on their credit card, which they checked online the night of 22 June 2020, and their posted date was the same as ours, 18 June 2020.

Tout fini!

Cheers,

Mike

Victoria, BC

On 6/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, babs135 said:

And it was all going so well.  On the 5th of June we spoke to our ta and transferred our October 2020 booking to the same sailing in September 2021.  This was before the balance was due.   Because the original booking was made with a special offer deposit we had to pay an extra amount which we did.  Following on we then received new documentation showing the new date, etc and I'd even been on the Cunard website to check everything was fine.  It was.

Today we have received an ABTA Refund Credit Note to the amount of the new deposit.  BUT we have also received further documentation showing us still booked on the September 2021 cruise.  I've been on the Cunard website but there is now no trace of our booking!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Panic over.  Spoken to our ta and as I hoped the credit note was a mistake.  The reason we couldn't access our booking on Cunard's website was due to us having been given the wrong reference number.  We have since received further documentation confirming our booking and we are now able to access it on the website.

Mistakes like this are not good for the blood pressure!!  We are so ready for a holiday......

• Like 1

Well this odyssey is finely over.  I received my full refund for my June 29 QM trip. I applied for it on April 23 so it took just around 60 days. I made the booking directly with Cunard here in the US. I have to say they were prompt answering the few inquires I made and the rep that made my booking was very helpful. Looking forward to sailing again once there is a safe and proven vaccine.

• Like 1

Update! 
cancelled TA cruise 5/29/20 on March 12th. 60% cash refund and 40% future credit.

credit came through 30 days later. Applied to a future cruise 2021. Cash payment refunded 102 days later on my CC today. I did complain 2 weeks ago with a supervisor and got a week later an e-mail with a refund processed date. 

I guess if I had not complained I would still be waiting. 
102 Days! Really!

15 hours ago, ozbrian said:

Bazza, my TA said 20 days for the cheque to arrive to them, then clearances, etc, etc, so possibly another 40 days after that. Hope you fare better.

Cunard have also said the same to me for our 15/3 cancelled cruise. Our out of pocket expenses though will take 60 days!

We decided to cancel our 2020 x mass carib cruise and re-schedule to 2021 . We lost only half of our on board credit so no big deal . The thought of masks,restricted food serving,social distancing , disruption with crew experience and who knows what with shore excursions  made the decision for us. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 4:24 AM, CorkSerene said:

QM2 2020 World Voyage.

Yes, as per my earlier post - generous refund received last week.

A "generous refund"?

I'm imaging for "generous" you would have received all the money you paid out, plus additional monies for lost interest and some free OBC for future sailings?

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 5:34 PM, Mike & Zen said:

Cunard Refund Data Point:

Tout fini!

Cheers,

Mike

Victoria, BC

G'day Mike,

A wonderfully descriptive and informative post. Thank you.

Down here we have cruisers still waiting for cancelled 15th March refunds (100+ days and counting).

If Cunard sent their cheques out at 60 days as promised (no indication they have) local TA's are saying to add another 66 days onto that (total of 18 weeks). 

16 hours ago, ozbrian said:

G'day Mike,

A wonderfully descriptive and informative post. Thank you.

Down here we have cruisers still waiting for cancelled 15th March refunds (100+ days and counting).

If Cunard sent their cheques out at 60 days as promised (no indication they have) local TA's are saying to add another 66 days onto that (total of 18 weeks). 

Thank you for your kind words, ozbrian!

I can empathize with you and fellow cruisers the length of time for refunds, having gone through the refund process for five cancelled Princess cruises since 12 March, receiving all refunds about a week ago or so…but possibly adding on an extra 66 days for your refunds…wow!  I certainly hope you do not have to wait that long…and good luck to all still waiting for refunds

On 6/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, pmm0317 said:

I am curious. Anyone from world voyage on QM2 getting refund yet?? We are still waiting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes.  We received a refund on our credit card for the 42 lost days of the World Cruise on QM2.  It was done prorata perfectly. 

Questions: Did you pay for your flight home from Perth or did Cunard handle? 

Yes.  We received a refund on our credit card for the 42 lost days of the World Cruise on QM2.  It was done prorata perfectly. 

Questions: Did you pay for your flight home from Perth or did Cunard handle? 

Cunard took care of our flights. Still waiting for refund. Ugh. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums