More waitlisting

There is another thread discussing this.  Regent also announced that it would begin with one ship that has limited capacity.   So, it is possible that the one ship has reached Regent's "new" capacity for August thereby putting the ship in a waitlist situation.   others will not be sailing until September, October, November, etc.  This would also put. them in a waitlist situation.  

When Frank Del Rio mentioned the third quarter of 2020, it was not a firm date.  Cruise lines are waiting for the go-ahead from the CDC that could very well happen in August.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

There is another thread discussing this.  Regent also announced that it would begin with one ship that has limited capacity.   So, it is possible that the one ship has reached Regent's "new" capacity for August thereby putting the ship in a waitlist situation.   others will not be sailing until September, October, November, etc.  This would also put. them in a waitlist situation.  

When Frank Del Rio mentioned the third quarter of 2020, it was not a firm date.  Cruise lines are waiting for the go-ahead from the CDC that could very well happen in August.

Off topic...but like your new picture. 

• Like 3

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  Every time they have made an entire cruise on waitlist, they subsequently cancelled to cruise.  The interesting thing is that Navigator is on "waitlist" well into September that suggests that it will go into dry dock in September rather than July-August.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

The interesting thing is that Navigator is on "waitlist" well into September that suggests that it will go into dry dock in September rather than July-August.

All cruises that start or end in Canada are being waitlisted and then cancelled; that is the reason that all Navigator sailings up to 30 October are being waitlisted and then cancelled.  First Navigator cruise is 30 October New York to Miami.

Marc

PS I believe the dry dock (wet dock?) is going on now but someone else can confirm.

If you've seen the since deleted Facebook posting of what may be an excel or other chart listing of start dates for NCL cruises (people are debating veracity and whether it's ship start up dates or pax start up dates, so who knows),  Regent ships look like.  

Explorer November 6, 2020

Mariner, January 5, 2021

Voyager November 14, 2020

Navigator, October 8, 2020

Splendor, December 7, 2020

Now who knows - maybe NCL dropped (and deleted) the original posting to ferret out leaks, maybe it's real, but not terribly hard to find.  And, of course, even if it's 'real', events, the CDC and the USCG could certainly overtake any proposed sale dates.  EDIT - lol, I meant sail dates, because obviously the cruise lines are just making up 'sale' dates as they desire.

And, yeah, every forum seems to report the same 'routine' from the cruise lines.  Waitlists appear, and then cancellations happen.  Cunard at least had the good grace to announce cancellations on its line up to and including November 1. Apparently the Queen Elizabeth won't go til November 24 at the earliest.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/cunard-extends-suspension-of-cruise-operations-into-november/ar-BB15fwa7

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Mariner, January 5, 2021

So my ex-fellow WC pax can cling to hope for now.  I really hope this cruise goes--I'll be terribly jealous of course, but still.

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

So my ex-fellow WC pax can cling to hope for now.  I really hope this cruise goes--I'll be terribly jealous of course, but still.

I have to admit I wouldn't be making any hard plans based on this, or any other rumored start dates, for any line.  

I do wonder how those first 40 pax on the German river cruise are enjoying the trip.  And whether American Cruise Line is actually moving forward and what the results will be.  June 20 is right around the corner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a-german-river-cruise-hit-the-water-again-e2-80-94-and-may-provide-a-sneak-peek-into-sailing-in-the-future/ar-BB15cECt

Just now, greykitty said:

I have to admit I wouldn't be making any hard plans based on this, or any other rumored start dates, for any line.  

No, which is why we cancelled in the first place. My buddies who have stayed the course have now booked their excursions, but many don't have their heart in it right now.  And then there's the issue of passenger load reductions--this world cruise, with all of its segments, was pretty well sold out when the doo-doo hit the fan a few months ago.  I wonder how Regent will handle this?  Will they have to bump people for the first time in history?

I was wondering how lines would handle bumps too.  Sure, the old tried and true 'bribe' people with offers until they move to another date might work.  But how many fervent passengers who would already dare to be among the first to sail would accept a trade?  I'd be worried that the first cruises might be the last cruises, should anything untoward happen - would I be willing to take such a chance and move dates?  Especially if I were older or perhaps not in perfect health and thinking this might be the 'last dance'?

I would hope any line would be extremely transparent in how they'd 'bump' people, whatever route they take.  Last come, first out; lowest fare paid out first; most 'loyalty points' have a big advantage?  Whatever it is, let people know straight up - otherwise, I suspect there will be a lot of carping and side-eyeing.  Not that there won't be anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, greykitty said:

If you've seen the since deleted Facebook posting of what may be an excel or other chart listing of start dates for NCL cruises (people are debating veracity and whether it's ship start up dates or pax start up dates, so who knows),  Regent ships look like.  

Mariner, January 5, 2021

Here were my predictions posted on the thread regarding guessing start dates for each shiP;

Mariner 5 October LA - LA

Navigator 30 October NY - Miami

Splendor 28 November Miami - Miami

Explorer 6 January Sydney - Auckland

Voyager 26 April Barcelona - Athens

Since Navigator is already slated to be cancelled until 30 October, I can't imagine an 8 October start date.

Marc

I agree it'll be interesting if any of the dates (the chart listed all the NCL ships, I believe) come to pass and whether they're supposed to represent actual passenger sail dates or crew return dates.  The list even had a couple of late September 2020 dates listed.  Those I found fairly hard to believe, especially with Cunard's announcement today.  

Again, who knows how 'real' the list is.  Could be like giving out fake scripts or manuscripts to see if anyone is leaking data.  And, also interesting to see how port openings come to pass as well, and if repatriating crew goes well - and recruiting crew back to the ships also goes well.

But, people are bored and gives them something to chat about.

54 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Mariner, January 5, 2021

Now who knows - maybe NCL dropped (and deleted) the original posting to ferret out leaks, maybe it's real, but not terribly hard to find.  And, of course, even if it's 'real', events, the CDC and the USCG could certainly overtake any proposed sale dates.  EDIT - lol, I meant sail dates, because obviously the cruise lines are just making up 'sale' dates as they desire.

And, yeah, every forum seems to report the same 'routine' from the cruise lines.  Waitlists appear, and then cancellations happen.  Cunard at least had the good grace to announce cancellations on its line up to and including November 1. Apparently the Queen Elizabeth won't go til November 24 at the earliest.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/cunard-extends-suspension-of-cruise-operations-into-november/ar-BB15fwa7

I seriously doubt that Voyager will go on the November 14, 2020 Lisbon -> Cape Town voyage, with SA's recent announcement. See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/south-africa-tourism-reopening-2021/

Edited by Turn 8A
  • Like 1

Maybe the list on Facebook was aspirational.  If so, it would suggest that dates could slip later as events unfold, but perhaps that they are much less likely to sail earlier than listed.  If Mariner does not sail until at least January, I clearly would not be on it in October.  🙁

Don’t think the Voyager will go on November 14.   I was supposed to be on it and it was to end in Capetown.   South Africa just closed the country until February, 2021

3 hours ago, greykitty said:

I was wondering how lines would handle bumps too.  Sure, the old tried and true 'bribe' people with offers until they move to another date might work.  But how many fervent passengers who would already dare to be among the first to sail would accept a trade?  I'd be worried that the first cruises might be the last cruises, should anything untoward happen - would I be willing to take such a chance and move dates?  Especially if I were older or perhaps not in perfect health and thinking this might be the 'last dance'?

I would hope any line would be extremely transparent in how they'd 'bump' people, whatever route they take.  Last come, first out; lowest fare paid out first; most 'loyalty points' have a big advantage?  Whatever it is, let people know straight up - otherwise, I suspect there will be a lot of carping and side-eyeing.  Not that there won't be anyway.

Regent does not do "bumps" so discussing it may be a waste of time.  Also, in my opinion only, thinking that the people first to sail would be their 'last dance" is insulting.  You can be in your 40's and die onboard a ship due to a heart attack (this has happened more than once).  As has been said many times, if you choose to cruise this year or not until 2022, it is your decision and no one should make negative comments about those decisions.  

Additionally, the dates mentioned are just guesses - nothing more.  If the CDC allows cruise ships to cruise in August,  you can bet that it will happen.  I truly cannot see the CDC stopping cruise ships much later than August as they (for better or worse) are concerned about the toll it is taking on our economy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, greykitty said:

Great post!  Of course Regent does “bumps”.  Free cruises, free upgrades, cheap “upsells” These are only available  to certain prolific posters...

Serious question.  If your spouse was 90 would you be the first to go on a cruise?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pdaniel said:

Great post!  Of course Regent does “bumps”.  Free cruises, free upgrades, cheap “upsells” These are only available  to certain prolific posters...

Serious question.  If your spouse was 90 would you be the first to go on a cruise?

That is not your decision.  You can be 70 and very high risk due to health issues and 90 and amazingly healthy.  Each passenger must make this decision with the information only they have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

That is not your decision.  You can be 70 and very high risk due to health issues and 90 and amazingly healthy.  Each passenger must make this decision with the information only they have. 

Obviously, I agree with you!  

In terms of bumps, I would like to ask anyone that has sailed on Regent if they have been bumped from a cruise.  While I am pretty confident that this never happens, I do not want to make a claim that is not true.