On 6/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, cb at sea said:

No way would I cruise if I had to wear a mask all the time.

The  CDC in the USA tell the cruise lines what they have to do to cruise in the USA.The CDC could require so many strict procedures that we may not have cruises leaving from the USA. We are not cruising now because the CDC said so. I had one cancelled in March .I'm hoping to cruise in December 2020. If this gets cancelled, I'm going to river cruising. They are cruising this month.Less than 250 people on board. CDC rules didn"t bother them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 20165 said:

well, if they start kicking people off the ship at various ports or confine people to their rooms for not wearing masks, im going to guess thats going to also catch the media's attention.  

and my comparison point was cruise lines really haven't been good at enforcing the rules in the past and if the risk is that huge if someone isn't wearing a mask, should they really be sailing?

That is my thought. I also wonder if anyone willing to wear a mask on a cruise, who are non essential workers and have been sitting home for the past 3 months, have actually worn a mask all day and night nonstop?  A quick run through the supermarket is one thing but all day is another.  If you are eating and drinking nonstop that would be the loophole to the mask situation. 

I had to wear one today for about 2 hours while I was getting my nails done and I was super happy to walk out the door and rip off that mask.  Thank goodness it is on!y once every two weeks.   No way would I go somewhere and have to potentially wear one more often.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pcur said:

Helpful as always, JC!

1.  I'm lucky if the no-maskers around here where I live stay 2 feet away from me.  I have this little sing-song as I go through the grocery store, "6 feet away, pleeeese!" when they get too close.

2.  I'm trying really hard not to imagine sex with a non-spewer, unless it's Mr. Pcur.  😀

I always wear a mask when I'm away from home, and I found out the other day quite by accident in the grocery store what will make a no-masker scatter in a hurry and freak out--sneeze.  Then he had the gall to tell me I should have stayed home if I was sick.  I wasn't sick.  I have allergies, and his cologne/aftershave was what made me sneeze in the first place.  What I said to him wasn't pretty.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NuisanceLuke said:

I always wear a mask when I'm away from home, and I found out the other day quite by accident in the grocery store what will make a no-masker scatter in a hurry and freak out--sneeze.  Then he had the gall to tell me I should have stayed home if I was sick.  I wasn't sick.  I have allergies, and his cologne/aftershave was what made me sneeze in the first place.  What I said to him wasn't pretty.

As long as you sneezed into your own mask, that's OK.  I was in my local Costco the other day.  They gave me a mask when I entered, but didn't put it on.  I felt very comfortable because everyone else was wearing one.  😉  🍷

1 minute ago, Wine-O said:

As long as you sneezed into your own mask, that's OK.  I was in my local Costco the other day.  They gave me a mask when I entered, but didn't put it on.  I felt very comfortable because everyone else was wearing one.  😉  🍷

That's probably what the guy in grocery wrongly thought, too.  OK for him to spread it, I guess, but not me?  My mask wasn't protecting me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

I had to wear one today for about 2 hours while I was getting my nails done and I was super happy to walk out the door and rip off that mask.  Thank goodness it is on!y once every two weeks.   No way would I go somewhere and have to potentially wear one more often.

I wish I could get my nails done. Mask or not. It has been 3 months and I am down to only acrylic on the very tips.....😞 Nail and hair salons are still not open here. 

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

I wish I could get my nails done. Mask or not. It has been 3 months and I am down to only acrylic on the very tips.....😞 Nail and hair salons are still not open here. 

I don't know about nails but hair salons opened on Tuesday here on Long Island.  I was able to get my haircut on Wednesday. Unfortunately my dog will have to wait until July 26th to be groomed. They are only allowed to groom 9 dogs a day and that was the next available appointment.

We are still closed down here. Surprising that New York is opening before us. But SF Bay Area counties were the very first counties to shut down in the nation. And apparently we will be the slowest to re-open. 

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know about nails but hair salons opened on Tuesday here on Long Island.  I was able to get my haircut on Wednesday. Unfortunately my dog will have to wait until July 26th to be groomed. They are only allowed to groom 9 dogs a day and that was the next available appointment.

They opened the dog groomers here before the nail salons.  The groomer comes to the car and gets the dogs out of the back, when they are done we reverse the procedure.  They take the payment over the phone.  It is the same at the veterinarian.  There is really no human contact.  

Masks are quickly becoming a means of control.  I frequently hear "I wear my mask out of respect for others that are doing it".  You can find "expert" reports or opinions for either side of the argument.  I have seen reports where drinking coffee will cause this or that and we all need to quit drinking coffee.  Drinking alcohol kills huge numbers of people world wide yet many of us salivate over a $18/day alcohol package.  I choose to not wear a mask and I may skip cruising if that is a requirement.  Just saying.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Depends on what you compare Sweden to.  If you compare it to some other Western European countries, their death rate was lower (as is their climate, borders, detection of initial case and many other factors).

If, however, if you compare it to their immediate Scandinavian neighbors,  their death rate is much higher (8x Denmark and almost 20x Norway).

Even the architect of their "open" approach, Anders Tednell has voiced some regret of the posture due to the high death rate.

And, it should be emphasized, although restaurants and cafes remained open, social distancing was enforced to some degree.  And at least a portion of the population did a bit of self quarantine most of the time.

And yet Belgium which is practically a neighbor had twice the death rate.

Politician and the news that support them when they are not in power always attack those in power.  QED

jc

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

They opened the dog groomers here before the nail salons.  The groomer comes to the car and gets the dogs out of the back, when they are done we reverse the procedure.  They take the payment over the phone.  It is the same at the veterinarian.  There is really no human contact.  

Only the veterinarians used the procedure you described. I guess if people grooming wasn't and essential service than we would have had rioting if our pets were allowed to be groomed.

25 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

And yet Belgium which is practically a neighbor had twice the death rate.

Politician and the news that support them when they are not in power always attack those in power.  QED

jc

Belgium is neither practically a neighbor nor a Scandinavian country. Stockholm is over 1000 miles from Brussels and 1500 miles from central Sweden.

That is exactly like saying "Orlando is practically a neighbor of Brooklyn."  

Edited by ECCruise

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I choose to not wear a mask and I may skip cruising if that is a requirement.  Just saying.

But some around here are not happy with you taking that option. The fact that you don't want to wear a mask on a cruise makes you a self centered and uncaring person. It makes no difference that you are willing to stay home. Nope, there is a group that wants you on the ship and masked up. That is the only way to show that you care about your fellow human beings. Not taking your cruise vacation is so self centered.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, NuisanceLuke said:

I like that idea!   I can fake sneeze, and when someone freaks out just say nicely, "wear a mask, sweetie; no problem with a mask".

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 20165 said:

well, if they start kicking people off the ship at various ports or confine people to their rooms for not wearing masks, im going to guess thats going to also catch the media's attention.  

and my comparison point was cruise lines really havent been good at enforcing the rules in the past and if the risk is that huge if someone isnt wearing a mask, should they really be sailing?

Ummm, no, we shouldn't be sailing until there's a vaccine, because the risk of cruising is high until then.

19 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Most time even without CV dont want people within 6ft of me. My second outing in 3 months Mom want me PU a Pizza for her. Walked in, paid, as was standing there watched the Cook cut on Pizza, put in a Box all while not wearing a Mask... 

I think I would have talked to the manager about making me a new pizza with a mask.  The only consolation is the hot pizza probably killed any virus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is my thought. I also wonder if anyone willing to wear a mask on a cruise, who are non essential workers and have been sitting home for the past 3 months, have actually worn a mask all day and night nonstop?  A quick run through the supermarket is one thing but all day is another.  If you are eating and drinking nonstop that would be the loophole to the mask situation. 

I've mentally gone through a typical day on our cruises.  The mask would be required while eating, on elevators, and walking through the inside of the ship.

The rest of the time we are outside, in our cabin, or reading in a low-occupancy lounge.  No mask required then, but keep one handy.

I've added double ties to the masks I made, so the upper tie can be released, and the lower tie holds the mask on at the neckline.  Not a fashion statement, but it works to keep the mask handy to put it back on.

10 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've mentally gone through a typical day on our cruises.  The mask would be required while eating, 

How do you do that? I'm not trying to get further on your bad side.😉😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

But some around here are not happy with you taking that option. The fact that you don't want to wear a mask on a cruise makes you a self centered and uncaring person. It makes no difference that you are willing to stay home. Nope, there is a group that wants you on the ship and masked up. That is the only way to show that you care about your fellow human beings. Not taking your cruise vacation is so self centered.

That is silly.  There literally is no one that wants you to be forced to take a cruise and wear a mask.  Don't want to wear a mask on a cruise and wiling to stay home?   Why would anyone have an issue with that?

And I am curious since I have been emphatically told that you are a physician, why are you so anti-mask?  Not being combative in any way, but honestly am really curious. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, time4u2go said:

The first article was written 3 months ago. A lot has been learned since then.

That last article was written in 2016. Not sure if the same thing would be written today

Here is a recent You Tube Video about the dangers of wearing a mask.  My wife, a retired practicing physician of over 35 years, has made expressed these same concerns.  I hope You Tube does not delete it.

Edited by Lazz
  • Like 1