Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

You've got to be kidding me.   I just got am e-mail that said I need to resubmit my question for the new CEO because the system could not keep up.  Maybe someone should ask when Celebrity is going to upgrade their IT department, so they don't have these embarrassing system failures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You've got to be kidding me.   I just got am e-mail that said I need to resubmit my question for the new CEO because the system could not keep up.  Maybe someone should ask when Celebrity is going to upgrade their IT department, so they don't have these embarrassing system failures.

I just got that too. Unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just like 90% of companies that are not tech based, Celebrity outsourced a large portion of IT, especially the development to 3rd world countries to save about 3x the cost of development. But now they pay the savings in 10x the cost in software fixes because of shoddy coding by rank amateurs that should be nowhere near code that has to scale in mass.

I have ran large IT/Development shops. Most considered their tech department as a profit center. But when a company considers the IT/Development departments as a cost center, this it the all to often just deserts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The tech savvy generation (ya know, the ones that X is now wooing) won't stand for a horrible website like X has. They know how a decent website operates (many have likely worked on decent ones) and they will equate the horrible website with a horrible ship-board experience.....so will look elsewhere!

• Like 1

Not defending Celebrity but I do volunteer for 2 huge tech companies. Stuff happens all the time and most people don't even see what goes on behind the scenes like I do. I guarantee you Celebrity is aware of the issues they have and is probably working on it. It will not happen overnight. Most likely what happened is there was some sort of glitch.

What may seem like a simple solution (such as a glitch in the system) can take WEEKS to solve, depending on what the situation is. Clearly Celebrity has your question on record, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the email.

That said, I've had my fair share of issues with their site recently, and they could be more open with the issues simply by sending out an email saying something like "Celebritycruises.com is currently down for maintenance, please try again later."

11 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not defending Celebrity but I do volunteer for 2 huge tech companies. Stuff happens all the time and most people don't even see what goes on behind the scenes like I do. I guarantee you Celebrity is aware of the issues they have and is probably working on it. It will not happen overnight. Most likely what happened is there was some sort of glitch.

What may seem like a simple solution (such as a glitch in the system) can take WEEKS to solve, depending on what the situation is. Clearly Celebrity has your question on record, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the email.

Why would anyone volunteer for huge tech companies. Seems rather odd…

Celebrity’s IT problems are not recent. There have been ongoing for years. I would say over two decades. Almost seems like they are using volunteers instead of professionals. 

As for your last paragraph about the site going down that actually might not be at Celebrity’s end. It could be internet congestion. I certainly would not want an email from them every time the site was unavailable. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not true. I didn't submit a question - but received the same email. i.e. they just sent a mail out to their original distribution list again.

19 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not true. I didn't submit a question - but received the same email. i.e. they just sent a mail out to their original distribution list again.

I also did not submit a question, and received the same second email.  So I agree with you, same distribution list.

2 hours ago, mrmj59 said:

New to Celebrity ...

I can't seem to figure out how to sign up for the Power Up Points program.

Trying to get to Classic status before I sail.

Thanks

Doubt you will attain that, as there has only been one point in the last few months.

On 8/22/2023 at 9:59 AM, broadwaybaby123 said:

That said, I've had my fair share of issues with their site recently, and they could be more open with the issues simply by sending out an email saying something like "Celebritycruises.com is currently down for maintenance, please try again later."

Ok, so I'm not buying it.

I've worked in IS for 30+ years and this sort of thing does not happen if your QA team does their job. Ok, it does not happen if your programmers do even the most rudimentary testing! X does a terrible job with these tasks.

Regarding fixes.....something like this can be fixed in hours (can anyone say rollback the code using the backup). I've rolled out production code changes overnight, it doesn't have to take weeks.

As @Charles4515 says, this is noting new for X's IS team. Their website is and has been terrible for decades. There is no excusing their "glitches" for a multi-million(billion) dollar business. A High School coding assignment would do a better job!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

As @Charles4515 says, this is noting new for X's IS team. Their website is and has been terrible for decades. There is no excusing their "glitches" for a multi-million(billion) dollar business. A High School coding assignment would do a better job!

Azamara split its website from Celebrity's in, I think it was, March.  It has been and continues to be, total trash ever since. At least Celebrity keeps an accurate accounting of its customers' loyalty accounts, one of many things that Azamara is incapable of doing. After experiencing Azamara's, I would not even begin to criticize Celebrity's.  

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Interesting discussion, but not really about PowerUp points anymore. Perhaps a new thread is in order

It will revert to PUP discussion with the next PUP opportunity,  never fear. That's probably coming with the new CEO video.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Azamara split its website from Celebrity's in, I think it was, March.  It has been and continues to be, total trash ever since. At least Celebrity keeps an accurate accounting of its customers' loyalty accounts, one of many things that Azamara is incapable of doing. After experiencing Azamara's, I would not even begin to criticize Celebrity's.  

You don't see the linkage?  Celebrity sent Azamara totally crap data – whether deliberately or because their system is just that  bad hasn't been determined.  So when you criticize Azamara's IT problems, you ARE criticizing Celebrity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1