January 2021 Cruising

ladyjane550

We did a Lift & Shift of our February 7, 2021 Mardi Gras cruise on the Equinox, moving it to a February, 2022 Southern Caribbean cruise. Very disappointed but at this point New Orleans isn't even sure if they're going to have a Mardi Gras in 2021.

We just received confirmation of our L&S from our January 2021 cruise to January 2022.

We chose to this for a few reasons:

We fly and need to purchase tickets well before final payment. Flying from Minnesota to Florida isn't cheap in January; I just didn't want to worry about playing that game. By the way, this is the least of our concerns.

We both feel that there is a decent chance a second wave will hit.

We work from home as sole proprietors and are pushing our time away from work as it is, coming home and having to self quarantine, let alone being stuck on the ship for _____ number of days would put us in serious financial concern. 

Lastly, we just don't see a viable vaccine will be created by then, nor available to the masses in the next six months.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 1

We have cancelled our January 21 cruise on Connie.  Just too soon for us, and as another poster indicated, wearing a mask for 2 hours is doable, but don’t care for the idea for a 9 hour flight from the U.K. with mask. And that’s even before we get to considering insurance for overseas travel.

Hoping to do European cruises August and October next year and keeping fingers crossed for January 2022 and the Caribbean.

Have a Jan 21 scheduled but even if ship sails;  wearing a mask isn’t my idea of a vacation.  Also, other if there are other negatives such as less entertainment opportunities and necessity to clean/disinfect my cabin and less dining choices, it just won’t be doing it for me.  I don’t think the cruise lines will be ready for this in Jan.  I live near the beach and I won’t be ON the ocean but I can be IN it.  🏖🌴🌈

We did a lift and shift of Jan/Feb 2021 B2B2B to 2022.  Great prices on all three, glad we could move them out a year.  After cruising every winter for 15 years (6 weeks on ships last winter), we won't be going this winter.  Will do 2 months in Florida, and fly to St Martin for a couple weeks if it looks doable.  We didn't move the cruises for fear of covid itself, but because:

1.  Possible restrictions on board, changes, cruising just not the same probably

2.  Possible mask requirements

3.  Possible outbreak that could have us locked in our room on a prison ship

4.  Who knows what ports will be open, or what ships/itineraries actually sail by then

5.  Not sending any money to any cruise line for a while

We also did a L&S of October 2020 med cruise to 2021.  So we have over a year to see how things shake out before any final payments are due.

After cruising for so many winters, we're actually looking forward to relaxing in Florida for a change.  

Edited by bouhunter

9 hours ago, ladyjane550 said:

How many are people are cancelling their January 2021 cruise due to covid 19?

We cancelled our Jan 2021 cruise and rebooked a mid-April 2021.   Gives me until Jan 2021 (Final Payment) to see how the environment is.   Jan 2021 cruise will be due in October and I definitely don’t want to put down another chunk of change at that time.

We have a Jan21 B2B in Australia, and I fear we will be cancelling. Waiting until August to pull the plug. While A/NZ may be some of the "safest" places to visit (as of currently), we share the fear of being stuck on a ship at sea, and also what we may encounter upon return home in the middle of the flu season.  So sad.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

So far no cancellation and no lift and shift.  Hoping Connie is still in the fleet and we are allowed to board with a gen health check

We will look for a back up later in 2021 but will never get the same deal or Tampa as an embarcation port .

We are in the same boat so to speak.  We have a wonderful B2B 21 days on Connie, where we jumped as soon as the repositioning was announced and got mid-ship sky suites for what we normally pay for Aqua Class.  Disappointed she won't be refurbished but hoping against hope we are able to sail those cruises.  We have already lifted and shifted two cruises to later next year and had 3 others cancelled on us so are hoping this one is a go.  So much depends on the virus situation at the time, whether there is a vaccine, whether I can test for antibodies and if so do I have them and do they have a better feel for whether they will protect me, and on and on and on.  Just too soon to tell.  If I were a once a year cruiser perhaps I would have moved them by now, but we normally cruise many times a year so we are going to just wait awhile and see.

Due to the uncertainty related to Covid-19, we did shift our respective August 2020 Equinox and January 2021 Reflection cruises to a year later.  We both have some health issues that could create complications were we to contract the virus and it just seemed prudent to us to postpone our planned cruises until the virus spread slows or scientists produce a vaccine (hopefully!).   Of course, we will keep our eye on the situation and if it seems reasonable to do so, we'll look for some sort of last minute cruise in early 2021.  Unfortunately, I think 2020 is out of the question for us.  With that said, we do hope the cruise lines are able to start sailing again in 2020 but trust they will find ways to do so safely.   I can't imagine that it will be a "business as usual" approach. 

The only cruise I cancelled was our March,2021 TA. the reason being I don't want to be caught in Europe in case of the virus, but I did book the Apex for March, 2021 in the Caribbean, and hope it isn't cancelled. If we have a problem in the Caribbean, I know we'll be able to come home, and not to be dependent on airlines.

14 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We have cancelled our January 21 cruise on Connie.  Just too soon for us, and as another poster indicated, wearing a mask for 2 hours is doable, but don’t care for the idea for a 9 hour flight from the U.K. with mask. And that’s even before we get to considering insurance for overseas travel.

Hoping to do European cruises August and October next year and keeping fingers crossed for January 2022 and the Caribbean.

Just read an item saying that Dr Fauci has announced that Brits will not be allowed into the US for months rather than weeks and in fact might not be allowed until a vaccine is available. We have cancelled our Feb Equinox cruise but are still booked for end of April Transatlantic. Fingers crossed for that one. Wouldn’t cruise if a second wave hits even if we were allowed to enter the USA. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Not me.  I'm not even cancelling my November 2020 cruise.

Likewise.  I have both November and January cruises and I'm not cancelling either.  I'll wait til the cruise line cancels it and see what concessions they offer.  But I'm optomistic.  I think things will improve by then, IF people will start complying will all the health protocols.

We have had 5 different trips cancelled so far - not all cruises.  We are presently trying to reschedule one of them for the end of August & we have every intention of being on our B2B in February 2021.  

5 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I think things will improve by then, IF people will start complying will all the health protocols.

Sorry, but that ship has sailed. If they didn't before, they are not going to start now.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, TeeRick said:

It Ain't Over Until The Fat Lady Get's Vaccinated.😃

We are booked on Reflection April 9, Caribbean. Hubby has decided that he won't go if he can't get vaccinated. I will miss him while I am sailing! He didn't think that was funny, the man has no sense of humor.

Edited by diamondintn
add on
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Likewise.  I have both November and January cruises and I'm not cancelling either.  I'll wait til the cruise line cancels it and see what concessions they offer.  But I'm optomistic.  I think things will improve by then, IF people will start complying will all the health protocols.

We agree , we are on msc in November and infinity in February. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, diamondintn said:

Hubby has decided that he won't go if he can't get vaccinated.

I imagine there will be lots a views on this.  My parents are in their early 70's and they only cruise Princess.  They are booked on a December-14 night Caribbean itinerary.  When I asked them if they would get a vaccine, (hypothetically) before cruising again, they said no.  Additionally, they said that if one was available and therefore, required in order to sail, they would not cruise anymore.  The reason?  They don't trust a vaccine that is rapidly produced nor do they expect that it will eradicate the virus...much like the flu shot has not eradicated the flu.

I, for one, will get the vaccine and see what happens.

There has been a lot of hopeful talk about a vaccine, my wife and I are hopeful for one some day as well. We will both get vaccinated when and if it becomes available. That being said we will not put everything on hold until there is one. We will look at the protocols as required for the sailing we have booked. If they are acceptable to us and the governments of New Zealand and Australia will allow Canadian visitors, we will be cruising.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, Oville said:

Our January ‘21 Connie cruise has long been canceled and deposit refund received in less than two weeks.  So disappointed but have no regrets.

We are still booked on that one from Tampa,  but are concerned about possible scheduling changes or  that perhaps Connie and Infinity might leave the fleet.

There is renewed speculation they are for sale but nothing certain. Another cc post said Pullmantour( another line related to Royal and X) had put older ships in Cold Storage and transferred crew to Celeb budget line...but nothing right now is announced....R Fain says in cc article it is too soon , 

Hope we learn more well in advance of Jan  2021,  and  are looking at other options for later in 2021...More.time to see how things have evolved.  We do not have  airline bookings to worry about, which makes things less stressful.

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are still booked on that one from Tampa,  but are concerned about possible scheduling changes or  that perhaps Connie and Infinity might leave the fleet.

There is renewed speculation they are for sale but nothing certain. Another cc post said Pullmantour( another line related to Royal and X) had put older ships in Cold Storage and transferred crew to Celeb budget line...but nothing right now is announced....R Fain says in cc article it is too soon , 

Hope we learn more well in advance of Jan  2021,  and  are looking at other options for later in 2021...More.time to see how things have evolved.  We do not have  airline bookings to worry about, which makes things less stressful.

you should consider choice air   payments not due until cruise fare is due.  you can choose airline and flight now.