Might The CDC Require Cruise Ships to Adopt Grocery Store Traffic Rules?

mnocket

Here's a frightening thought that just popped into my mind....

What if the CDC requires cruise ships to adopt grocery store traffic rules - i.e. passenger hallways are one-way?  Depending on the relative location of your cabin and the stairways/elevators you might have quite a trek to get to your cabin.  This isn't out of the question I guess since ship hallways are no wider than grocery store isles.

• Like 1

What if the CDC requires cruise ships to adopt grocery store traffic rules - i.e. passenger hallways are one-way?  Depending on the relative location of your cabin and the stairways/elevators you might have quite a trek to get to your cabin.  This isn't out of the question I guess since ship hallways are no wider than grocery store isles.
No one follows those arrows in the aisles anyway at the grocery store. It's nearly impossible to, even we don't and we like to follow the rules.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

No one follows those arrows in the aisles anyway at the grocery store. It's nearly impossible to, even we don't and we like to follow the rules.

Point taken, but my experience has been that there are a lot of "enforcers" among cruise passengers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Point taken, but my experience has been that there are a lot of "enforcers" among cruise passengers.  

Is it me or is the CDC being just a little over the top ridiculous with the cruise lines? I know I'm biased being a cruise guy but they seem to have unfairly harsh to the cruise lines. Just my opinion though.

21 minutes ago, mnocket said:

You have better odds of cruise ships going to Mars than for that to be mandated by the CDC.

14 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Is it me or is the CDC being just a little over the top ridiculous with the cruise lines? I know I'm biased being a cruise guy but they seem to have unfairly harsh to the cruise lines. Just my opinion though.

Don't misunderstand...... the CDC hasn't mandated this.  It's just a thought.

Don't misunderstand...... the CDC hasn't mandated this.  It's just a thought.
Oh no I get that, just in general they have been overly harsh on cruises I think.

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Oh no I get that, just in general they have been overly harsh on cruises I think.

Perhaps, but it's the nature of government regulators to be risk adverse.  No one at the CDC ever got fired for being too cautious. 

It's similar to how the FAA is handling the 737MAX.  Going on the 2nd year and still not approved to return to service.  This tendency to avoid risk is one of the reasons I fear there may be some overshoot on CDC restrictions on cruise lines.

4 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

And even when the customers on the most part follow the arrows, the store employees often do not.

The CDC is a bit big for their britches.  They can try that nonsense, but like grocery stores, it’s up to the customers in the end.  Our stores tried that (even posting employees at the end of each aisle. NO ONE adhered to it.  Customers walked right past the employees and they when they tried roping off areas, customers went over/ under / or just plain took the ropes down.

p.S. - ask the CDC why we have to follow these rules but thousands of protesters do not?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kate Redden said:

The CDC is a bit big for their britches.  They can try that nonsense, but like grocery stores, it’s up to the customers in the end.  Our stores tried that (even posting employees at the end of each aisle. NO ONE adhered to it.  Customers walked right past the employees and they when they tried roping off areas, customers went over/ under / or just plain took the ropes down.

p.S. - ask the CDC why we have to follow these rules but thousands of protesters do not?

“NO ONE adhered to it”?   Wow - you must be proud of the individuality demonstrated by that herd mentality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

“NO ONE adhered to it”?   Wow - you must be proud of the individuality demonstrated by that herd mentality.

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

Now be nice & remember your manners please. I live in a rural area now (but grew up on the east coast.)  We are not densely populated so it’s not like walking in NYC at lunch time.  The point I was trying to make is that people have to agree to go along with restrictions and one size does not fit all! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kate Redden said:

BTW - The Trader Joes model does not work everywhere.

You mean letting people in as others leave? Why wouldn't it work everywhere? If the store hasn't reached their max then there won't be a line waiting. And our experienceS (plural) is that it never has taken long.

Is it really that horrifying? Some how Ikea made a billion dollar business out of it. Yes they have done short cuts these days but most people do follow the arrows. I was thinking one benefit from following arrows could less congregation in the hallways. It might encourage people to move along rather than standing there blocking the way to have their conversations. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kate Redden said:

Now be nice & remember your manners please. I live in a rural area now (but grew up on the east coast.)  We are not densely populated so it’s not like walking in NYC at lunch time.  The point I was trying to make is that people have to agree to go along with restrictions and one size does not fit all! 

Yes - people in Florida and Texas have not agreed to go along with restrictions. And things are going in one direction for them - and in another direction in NY, NJ and CT, where many are agreeing to go along with restrictions.

Lets just see how the next few weeks play out before continuing this discussion.  Facts sometimes help understanding.

• Like 2

Yes - people in Florida and Texas have not agreed to go along with restrictions. And things are going in one direction for them - and in another direction in NY, NJ and CT, where many are agreeing to go along with restrictions.

Lets just see how the next few weeks play out before continuing this discussion.  Facts sometimes help understanding.
I'm actually amazed and I guess you would say proud that people here in NJ have followed the "face covering" rules. I haven't seen anyone defy it myself.
I know one neanderthal at work that refuses to wear a mask even into stores because really dumb reasons you can figure out for yourself.
Anyway I'm glad to see everyone understanding the situation and not being selfish and wearing face coverings.
I'm extremely worried about those states you mentioned with cases going up. I really hope they don't have to shut back down again. Houston I read is close to shutting down again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Is there any data to show that one way aisles have cut down on the infection rate in stores?

Is there any data to show that one way aisles have NOT cut down....?

37 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Is there any data to show that one way aisles have cut down on the infection rate in stores?

Probably needs more study but here is start :

Model suggests how airborne coronavirus particles spread in grocery store aisles

I remember once being in Ikea during a sale and there was a lot of people but it never felt crowded and it was easy to keep walking down the path as I never found my way blocked. Maybe for a space that is as densely packed as a cruise ship it isn't a bad idea🤔

• Like 1