Might The CDC Require Cruise Ships to Adopt Grocery Store Traffic Rules?

mnocket

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

All the makings of a made-for-TV movie. I suggest Mark Harmon to play the aging, sincere public health official and Candace Cameron-Bure for the role of the veteran cruise director.

Tom Hanks will totally turn this into a blockbuster and of course he will again play the unassuming hero😜

More likely however it will be a Covid-19 version of The Big Short😳

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Haha 1

Amazing, apparently people that don't agree with your opinion must be stupid. Got a bit of an ego do you? Despite what you might think, like it or not, you are not the final word on what's what, nor are you smarter than everyone else.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In midtown Manhattan Saturday night people were defying the Governor to such a degree that he has said he may reverse the decision to open the city.

Today a NY paper editorialized the hypocracy of our politicians: they regard mass gatherings for enjoyment as selfish while they declare mass gatherings for protesting as honorable.  A virus doesn't care why a group of people got together.

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

Amazing, apparently people that don't agree with your opinion must be stupid. Got a bit of an ego do you? Despite what you might think, like it or not, you are not the final word on what's what, nor are you smarter than everyone else.

I never claimed to be the final word on anything — but I am able to recognize stupid behavior (such as that exhibited by people who are so unthinkingly eager to open up after COVID precautions that they ignore all cautions, reinfect their communities, and probably bring about additional closings) and comment upon it — in spite of the fact that some people do not see COVID as a problem worthy of precautions.

Stupid is as stupid does - my opinion has nothing to do with it.

3 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Today a NY paper editorialized the hypocracy of our politicians: they regard mass gatherings for enjoyment as selfish while they declare mass gatherings for protesting as honorable.  A virus doesn't care why a group of people got together.

I have not read a NYC newspaper in many years with exception of the Village Voice .

On 6/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, navybankerteacher said:

There sure is.  Areas like CT, NJ and N.Y.  where there has been widespread and general compliance with precautions like one way aisles  have seen reductions, while other areas where people have resisted or ignored precautions like one way aisles have seen increases in infections.    Of course, it can be argued that it must have been other things and not one way aisles — but that is simply being stupid:  you cannot pick and choose what precautions you like - you just need to take reasonable steps —- and one way aisles - if you stop to think - are not that difficult to have, and they clearly do help in maintaining distancing.

Reduced infection rate IS data.

Purely anecdotal. No clear evidence at all. Time of exposure is a key element in transmission and it takes longer to pass someone (or remain behind them to the end of the store) than it does to meet them. Neither scenario is long enough to catch something unless there is active coughing, etc. One store here actually has turn arrows on the end of aisles making it impossible (following the arrows) to double back for something forgotten, or to shop the aisle and then go back for the selection. More time in store=more people exposed to.

Our state has reopened bars and restaurants and had many huge protest groups and our infection rates have gone DOWN (while increasing the number or tests dramatically) so anecdotally, this has contributed to decreased illness. All states should rush to hold big gatherings. So you see how drawing conclusions based on anecdotal evidence, or a group of criteria, is—shall we say—stupid.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Purely anecdotal. No clear evidence at all. Time of exposure is a key element in transmission and it takes longer to pass someone (or remain behind them to the end of the store) than it does to meet them. Neither scenario is long enough to catch something unless there is active coughing, etc. One store here actually has turn arrows on the end of aisles making it impossible (following the arrows) to double back for something forgotten, or to shop the aisle and then go back for the selection. More time in store=more people exposed to.

Our state has reopened bars and restaurants and had many huge protest groups and our infection rates have gone DOWN (while increasing the number or tests dramatically) so anecdotally, this has contributed to decreased illness. All states should rush to hold big gatherings. So you see how drawing conclusions based on anecdotal evidence, or a group of criteria, is—shall we say—stupid.

Which state is that?  You appear to have been fortunate to not be among the 18 or so (led by North Carolina, Florida and Texas) who rushed to reopen and are now seeing significant upswings in cases.  

But please explain the rationale for urging a “...rush to hold big gatherings.”   I can see permitting them if they can be conducted safely and responsibly — but to actually encourage them?   Why?

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which state is that?  You appear to have been fortunate to not be among the 18 or so (led by North Carolina, Florida and Texas) who rushed to reopen and are now seeing significant upswings in cases.  

But please explain the rationale for urging a “...rush to hold big gatherings.”   I can see permitting them if they can be conducted safely and responsibly — but to actually encourage them?   Why?

Same as your anecdotal evidence for one way aisles. YOU thought they were beneficial so encouraged them. I don’t think big gatherings are good but the anecdotal evidence could say otherwise, so encourage them to further reduce infections. Now do you see why it is more important to look at facts?

Any upper Midwest and high plains states.

Just now, 2wheelin said:

Same as your anecdotal evidence for one way aisles. YOU thought they were beneficial so encouraged them. I don’t think big gatherings are good but the anecdotal evidence could say otherwise, so encourage them to further reduce infections. Now do you see why it is more important to look at facts?

Any upper Midwest and high plains states.

Of course most “upper Midwest and high plains states”, with less population density are virtually certain to experience slower rates of contagion - and may, in fact, wind up with lower overall rates of infection - we’ll just have to see.  But that is part of the rationale for a federal union of states as opposed to one big entity:  each state can approach situations in a manner appropriate to its conditions/needs/environment.  

But the salient FACT is that many states -which have rushed to reopen with little emphasis on precautions like distancing, masks, one way aisles, etc. have seen upsurges in infection —— while certain states with previous high levels of infection have seen continuing declines in infection - just possibly due to continuing many of those precautions.

We have yet to see how this plays out in the long term - we are just half a year into it.

Again - what state are you from?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

50% of people are above average 🙂

No, I think the average as well as median are going down, but yes 1/2 of the people could statistically be said to be below average, LOL

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

No, I think the average as well as median are going down, but yes 1/2 of the people could statistically be said to be below average, LOL

It was meant to be humorous. And "median" would be the more accurate word but not sure everyone knows what that means. LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

It is too late, many states have already had big, huge gatherings with the same politicians  who are imposing one way aisles and preventing kids from playing in parks cheering them on and participating, while not themselves engaging in social distancing nor wearing masks.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:56 PM, Aquahound said:

For the life of me, I don't understand how one-way aisles are effective in the fight against COVID, but I also confess to not being an expert in the matter.  I totally agree with your comment about overreactions and bombastic proclamations.  Regurgitating info found though Google does not an expert make.  If aisles are one-way, I'll follow.  If not, I don't care.  I have my opinion on this matter but unlike some, I won't shove it down throats as fact and repeat it over and over and over and...….

They don't make any sense. For going against any of the current measures, as you know, you are immediately attacked by the lockdown defense force. "At least we are doing something". It will still be the same amount of people in the aisle, and people still won't follow the rules.

Let's not forget that the cashier is touching everything you bought, and everything everyone else bought. Then you are touching the pin pad everyone else touched. At least we aren't going down the same way down the isle together. Us idiots would be uncontrollably sneezing in each other's mouths.

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Then you are touching the pin pad everyone else touched.

Do you not have Tap and Go functions? I rarely touch pin pads as you have to have purchases over a certain limit before you need a pin. I rarely spend enough per transaction to reach that limit.