December 20 on Riviera may have been cancelled.

jonthomas

6 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

What the travel agencies and cruise lines should realistically think is that they need us. Without people booking, they will go out of business.  

1000% true

Yet as we are finding out through the course of the debacle, without THEM we can't go anyplace worthwhile, so there is a very real symbiosis.

18 hours ago, Fam_Cruise said:

When did you ask your TA?  The reason I ask is it took my TA the same amount of time to be paid their commission on my cruise that O cancelled as it took for me to receive my refund, about 50 days from the date I requested the refund. 

Earlier this month - 7-7-20.  At that time our FCC for the O cancelled cruise on Sirena had already been issued, so if that was issued, his commission should have been paid at the same time, right?

22 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

1000% true

Yet as we are finding out through the course of the debacle, without THEM we can't go anyplace worthwhile, so there is a very real symbiosis.

Travel agents are usually good when booking a cruise. They usually add value compared to booking directly with the cruise line. For now, to be safe, we are staying home.  Only going out for necessities.  That will change.  When travel is safe and the world wants to welcome Americans again, there will be no problem finding booking options.  Aside from cruising, I like to book directly. Book airlines directly online.  Book directly with hotels gets you better service. The prices are usually as good as the booking agents. Sometimes better. Often you can get some better amenities. Join hotel affinity groups and get rewarded for loyalty.  Our go to hotel is Hyatt.  Often get upgrades at little or no cost.  You are your own best travel agent. With the internet,getting info is easy. Do your own research and planning.  

36 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Earlier this month - 7-7-20.  At that time our FCC for the O cancelled cruise on Sirena had already been issued, so if that was issued, his commission should have been paid at the same time, right?

I don't know as I got a refund, not a FCC; so the timing may be different.

53 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thanks for this, Fort_Worth!  Either my TA was lying to me or his agency was holding back.  Think maybe I'll forward this to him for explanation!

Just sent one of the links to him.  Interested to see his response.  Told him in the e-mail if he didn't get paid he has a problem with his agency, but if he did he has a problem with ME.

14 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Just sent one of the links to him.  Interested to see his response.  Told him in the e-mail if he didn't get paid he has a problem with his agency, but if he did he has a problem with ME.

For a commission to  be paid on a cancelled voyage a very specific set of parameters must be met.

Don't get tough until you know that your trip qualified.

1000% true

Many years ago I was diagnosed with symbiosis. It wasn’t easy but I was completely cured [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 minute ago, StanandJim said:

For a commission to  be paid on a cancelled voyage a very specific set of parameters must be met.

Don't get tough until you know that your trip qualified.

Perhaps it would help her if you would expound on those parameters instead of being vague about them. 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

Perhaps it would help her if you would expound on those parameters instead of being vague about them. 

Perhaps it would-

However, I am certain that it WILL help her not to go off, half cocked.

13 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Perhaps it would-

Thanks, I'll take your advice.  Is it possible that since we took the FCC no commission gets paid?  If that were the case, TA's would be advising their clients to go for the refund rather than the FCC.  If there would be no commission paid on FCC's, that seems counterproductive, but then, who knows what goes on in the minds of the bean counters!!??

As to parameters, to simple me it seems there would only be two:  has cruise been paid in full?  YES.  Did Oceania cancel the cruise?  YES.

Edited by GeorgesGal
added text

8 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Perhaps it would-

Let's try this another way; 

What are the parameters that must be met in order for the TA to get their commission? 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

What are the parameters that must be met in order for the TA to get their commission? 

I wonder if there is a “ one size fits all” answer to this question? I could easily foresee different cruise lines having entirely different T&C with the various Travel Agencies. Why would Carnival’s contract necessarily look exactly like NCLH’s or Vikings?

Additionally, Travel Agencies remunerate their Travel Agents in a host of different methodologies. Does the OP actually know how her’s is paid? Maybe, or maybe not!

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

I am guessing  if the cruise was cancelled by Oceania  & it was paid in full the agency  would get the commission on the commissionable cruise fare  

even if the pax took the FCC as their option

no insider info here just speculation

50 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I'm waiting to hear from my TA, but here's a secret:  he is not very responsive.

is this  just during the pandemic  or other times as well?

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

is this  just during the pandemic  or other times as well?

Almost always, but I've not used him except for three cruises this year: the first, Sirena, cancelled by O, which during the booking process and pre-sailing  he was frequently not available; used him for our next booking so he would not have wasted his time servicing our account for the Sirena and felt badly for no commission; cancelled that second cruise and moved it over to the 12-20, still feeling guilty.  To be honest, he sounds like he should have been 'put out to pasture' years ago.

No further bookings to him once this one is done with.

I've used his agency for about five years now, twice per year, so they are making money from us.  The first was excellent, but left; second not quite as good; and finally our present TA.  Now I will have to do some shopping when I plan our next cruise.

• Like 1

GeorgesGal;

Sounds to me, at this point, you are probably a “ house account” and he only gets paid a stipend , not Commission, for administration of your account. Any other assigned Agent in that Agency will probably be on the same terms. 

Reading this kind of stuff makes me appreciate our wonderful TA even more. In about 8 or 9 years I’ve never had an issue with being able to contact her, except when she’s on vacation, then there’s a backup contact. Everyone should be so lucky. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Clerk! Is that better for you?

Not familiar with that term either.  The person we dealt with at O title was "personal consultant." Among his other pluses was the fact that when there was a fare reduction after we'd made final payment when I asked we were offered either OBC for that cruise or FCC for the next one.