Will it ever be safe..

bitemyfly

Was it ever safe before? There were noro outbreaks, hurricanes, I lost my car to the one hit Galveston.

Life never was 100%, at some pt you either are willing to life and do what you want as allowed or not. I'll sign up for 1st vaccine and sign a waiver,... whatever it takes.

There have always been risks 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Of course it will be safe again.  The problem is it is not safe right now and to many think it is safe.  I am all for cruising if you can assure me that you cruising doesn't effect my life.  If you go on a cruise and there is an outbreak it effects my life.  Also I don't want cruising to start back right now because I do not think the cruise industry can survive another stop start.  I want to cruise again.  I think the best chance is not restarting during the Peak of a virus.

• Like 4

Yes, it will be safe again.  Viral plagues have torn through societies throughout history.  Eventually, and often quite mysteriously, some go away (think of the "sweating sickness" from the age of Henry VIII that would kill huge swathes  people in a day or two, and just disappeared).  Others, we create immunizations for, like measles, smallpox  or polio.  One way or another, this will pass and we will live safely without face masks and social distancing.  But until then, we must wait and do our best to not spread covid 19 around.  Chins up, folks, this bleak time will pass.  🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Current mortality rate in US according to CDC is 1.8% of confirmed cases. 

The CDC states that 8 out of 10 deaths are with people age 65 and older.  Also at higher risk are people with underlying conditions. Those are the people who should stay safe.  People shouldn't be shamed for accessing their own risk and choosing to live their life accordingly.  From everything that has gone on in past month, obviously people have accessed their risk and made choices.  If they catch the virus, that's the risk they took.

I think cruising will be generally as safe as it was before covid-19, but it might take a while.  It will always be with risks.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 8

It could be safe if all people social distanced properly, wore masks correctly, and washed their hands...but alas, people are too stubborn to follow a few simple guidelines so now we are all stuck at home. 

Will it ever be safe? Sure, if there is a vaccine that is effective and people aren't anti vaxxers. Personally, I think the cruiselines should require proof of vaccination once it's available.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

The CDC states that 8 out of 10 deaths are with people age 65 and older.  Also at higher risk are people with underlying conditions. Those are the people who should stay safe.  People shouldn't be shamed for accessing their own risk and choosing to live their life accordingly.  From everything that has gone on in past month, obviously people have accessed their risk and made choices.  If they catch the virus, that's the risk they took.

I think cruising will be generally as safe as it was before covid-19, but it might take a while.  It will always be with risks.

There are a lot of young, healthy people in Florida right now making choices whose results get passed on to older & less healthy people when they pass them later in a grocery store or on the sidewalk.  Do you really think there is a 0% chance your risk assessment only involves you & your freedom?

• Like 10

One mans meat is another mans poison. In other words if the risk is not worth it to you then you have your choice not to sail. For many, myself included, they will take the chance of sailing. You risk dying everyday. Whether by a car accident or covid. This is not the black death, contrary to what the media portrays.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

You are on a 120 thousand ton hunk of metal, floating on open water thousands of feet deep.

You're never safe...

Do you really think it matters how deep the open water is?  🙂

1966 USS Recruit (TDE-1)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

There are a lot of young, healthy people in Florida right now making choices whose results get passed on to older & less healthy people when they pass them later in a grocery store or on the sidewalk.  Do you really think there is a 0% chance your risk assessment only involves you & your freedom?

You want those young healthy people to get it to develop immunity.  In catching the virus, we are doing the old and infirm a favor.  Immunology 101.  Seems like no one has studied this.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

come on. I managed to go the first two months of this thing without ever physically stepping foot inside a store. Everyone has curbside pickup now, including groceries. Can also get near anything delivered. Plus, most stories where I live offer special senior hours. If a senior choosing to go grocery shopping in the middle of the day inside the store, they are choosing to assume the extra risk that comes along with that. As far as passing someone outside on a sidewalk, based on everything I’ve read and heard, that is not sufficient contact to spread Coronavirus. If you find one case where that type of interaction lead to someone catching it, I’ll take that seriously. People will choose to assume the risk they want to assume. We have sufficient options in place now where you can minimize interactions with other people if you want.

Im fine with listening to doctors and taking reasonable steps to limit the spread. I’m not a fan of exaggeration leading to people being afraid of walking outside.

• Like 3

of the main problem on the cruise ships is that various government forced people to stay onboard while the virus was spreading rapidly. Had the move the passengers onshore to hospitals and truly isolated quarantine areas then some lives would have been saved.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

You want those young healthy people to get it to develop immunity.  In catching the virus, we are doing the old and infirm a favor.  Immunology 101.  Seems like no one has studied this.

This.  My  mother-in-law worries a lot about the virus. She is a lung cancer survivor and has every reason to be concerned.  I told her that even though there are a lot of cases, as long as we are careful she will be fine.  Let those young people go out and get the virus so that it can run its course.  Locking up people who have an extremely low risk is just dragging this on, in my opinion.  People who are high risk and those who care for them should be careful.  Everyone else can get the virus and let it roll on through.  This is just my opinion.  I am sitting tight and am careful.  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

But it isn't just them,,,

This isn't like a financial decision, where if you mess up, its you only who suffers!

With a virus like this, your decision can affect others, even cost them their lives!

Do we then make you responsible? 

Its great to be,,, I'll do what I want,,,,, as long as you don't negatively affect others!

Seems like too many want that freedom without the responsibility that comes with their affecting other negatively! 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Except no.  Elder care facilities are still off limits and older persons can still take the same precautions as they have been for the last 3 months.  Nothing has change.

If you're keeping your distance, it doesn't matter if you avoid 5 or 25 people...except it'll be 20 fewer people you'll need to avoid in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If you find one case where that type of interaction lead to someone catching it, I’ll take that seriously.

Well my wife’s 52 year old friend (who lives in a Chicago suburb) has a compromised immune system.  From day 1 of the Illinois lockdown she always has ordered food delivery, worked permanently from home, lives alone and had no house guests.  She left the house twice in the following month during non-peak times & still got Covid-19.  She took every reasonable precaution.  She has recovered since then.

You can believe what you want to believe.  I’m not telling anyone not to cruise & mine is still scheduled for October.  Just don’t assume that cruising while active cases are high can only affect you.  

• Like 1

I think it will be as safe as it ever was, someday.  This too shall pass.  What I'm wondering is when the price/deal/profitability equilibrium will return.  Booking (or rebooking)  is getting to be an expensive gamble.

Edited by naxer