Pre and Post Cruises Accommodations

klfrodo

With this Covid-19 fiasco screwing everything up, double check your reservations for any accommodations you may have made.

I found that my Vrbo flat in London had been taken off the market. I had not been notified in advance.

Wanted to show pictures of the flat and the location to my granddaughter. Couldn't locate the property on Vrbo.

Sent a message to the property manager. Found out the owner was in financial trouble with their properties due to Covid-19.

Refunds have been issued.

Glad I found out with plenty of time to make other arrangements.

• Like 1

Good reminder for everyone----for sure.   I cancelled my hotel within a couple of days after my cruise was cancelled.

It might have been that same day actually. It has been a while so I can't remember exactly.  But you are right, always

good to remember those important parts of cancelled trips.

Good reminder.  We cancelled the hotels but still have a couple of airfares to Europe.  We are waiting to see if they will eventually be cancelled, otherwise we will take a credit.  Right now it is like having a couple of flight tickets to nowhere.   

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

With this Covid-19 fiasco screwing everything up, double check your reservations for any accommodations you may have made.

I found that my Vrbo flat in London had been taken off the market. I had not been notified in advance.

Wanted to show pictures of the flat and the location to my granddaughter. Couldn't locate the property on Vrbo.

Sent a message to the property manager. Found out the owner was in financial trouble with their properties due to Covid-19.

Refunds have been issued.

Glad I found out with plenty of time to make other arrangements.

Your Vrbo flat might not be the only thing — are you sure you would even be allowed into the country?

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Your Vrbo flat might not be the only thing — are you sure you would even be allowed into the country?

We're maintaining our flexibility in all aspects. Our trip isn't until 2021.

Most places let you cancel for full refund up til 30 days.  Plus, reservations are on a CSR card

Edited by klfrodo

On 6/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, ldubs said:

Good reminder.  We cancelled the hotels but still have a couple of airfares to Europe.  We are waiting to see if they will eventually be cancelled, otherwise we will take a credit.  Right now it is like having a couple of flight tickets to nowhere.   

Received notice yesterday that our flights to Europe were cancelled and we get a full refund.  We still have tickets for a flight from Madrid to Lisbon in September.  Cancellation isn't likely.  Looks like we will be eating the fares for these tickets.  

I'm just glad we are getting a refund for the big ticket airfares.   

I think this could be the next thing people are wondering..... with a lot of businesses going bust due to Covid-19.....  Once thing ease   ... where ever that is.....

Will our favorite places to stay still be open and all the eateries and pubs etc still be there ..... if not the future is looking a bit gloomy....

Cheers Don

Ps was thinking about a lot of small tour companies and what is happening to them.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, BSR said:

After my Australia cruise was canceled,  I canceled all my hotels the next day.

I'm confused. Why would you not cancel them?

On 6/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, ldubs said:

We are waiting to see if they will eventually be cancelled, otherwise we will take a credit.

We canceled a cruise but waited for the airline (Norwegian Air) canceled and then filed for a refund, not a credit. They gave me a back and forth and finally I wrote them and cc'd their CEO threatening them if I didn't have a refund in 14 days. Got a notice today of a refund a week before the deadline I gave them. Sometimes being nice is worthless.

54 minutes ago, clo said:

We canceled a cruise but waited for the airline (Norwegian Air) canceled and then filed for a refund, not a credit. They gave me a back and forth and finally I wrote them and cc'd their CEO threatening them if I didn't have a refund in 14 days. Got a notice today of a refund a week before the deadline I gave them. Sometimes being nice is worthless.

Ours was cancelled two days ago.  Refund on the way.   We still have on pair of tickets for a short regional flight in Spain that we will have to eat.   $ amount isn't bad.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Ours was cancelled two days ago.  Refund on the way.   We still have on pair of tickets for a short regional flight in Spain that we will have to eat.   $ amount isn't bad.  

Surely you can claim on your insurance policy? 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely you can claim on your insurance policy? 

Not so surely.  haha.   No trip insurance this time.  We retained the risk as we didn't think the premium worth it.  Our total loss for two tickets is $154.  I don't light cigars with $100 bills, but this we can accept.   😀

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, ldubs said:

Not so surely.  haha.   No trip insurance this time.  We retained the risk as we didn't think the premium worth it.  Our total loss for two tickets is $154.  I don't light cigars with $100 bills, but this we can accept.   😀

How would you have covered your medical costs if you had caught CV19 whilst in Europe,  if you had no insurance?

Our annual insurance policy for the two  of us is less than the equivalent of $US 400. Seems a false economy not to take out insurance.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

How would you have covered your medical costs if you had caught CV19 whilst in Europe,  if you had no insurance?

Our annual insurance policy for the two  of us is less than the equivalent of $US 400. Seems a false economy not to take out insurance.

Here is the States, one does not have to cover a trip in it's entirety to receive "Medical" coverage.

I "risk" the trip cancellation, trip delay, etc. all the time, but still get Medical and Evacuation coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well if we went to Europe and caught CV-19 I suppose we would have issued a check, used a credit card or paid however the medical facility preferred.   But the fact is we will not go to Europe or any other place outside of the US until Covid-19 is managed.  We are fully covered for travel within the US via our health insurance policies.   

Your policies may be different.  $400 for a comprehensive annual travel insurance policy that covers cancel for any reason and the pandemic is a very good deal.   That aside we consider the risk factor and our financial ability to absorb the potential loss when deciding to purchase insurance.   I certainly understand the preference to transfer the risk via insurance.   

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Here is the States, one does not have to cover a trip in it's entirety to receive "Medical" coverage.

I "risk" the trip cancellation, trip delay, etc. all the time, but still get Medical and Evacuation coverage.

Sorry, I forgot that the US policies allow you to "debundle".

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well if we went to Europe and caught CV-19 I suppose we would have issued a check, used a credit card or paid however the medical facility preferred.   But the fact is we will not go to Europe or any other place outside of the US until Covid-19 is managed.  We are fully covered for travel within the US via our health insurance policies.   

Your policies may be different.  $400 for a comprehensive annual travel insurance policy that covers cancel for any reason and the pandemic is a very good deal.   That aside we consider the risk factor and our financial ability to absorb the potential loss when deciding to purchase insurance.   I certainly understand the preference to transfer the risk via insurance.   

Our policy does not cover us for cancellation for any reason. As far as I know, such cover is impossible to obtain in Europe, and certainly not in the UK.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Our policy does not cover us for cancellation for any reason. As far as I know, such cover is impossible to obtain in Europe, and certainly not in the UK.

Now I'm kind of lost.  Your original comment was that surely our travel insurance would cover our cancelling a flight, and yet your own policy wouldn't provide coverage.  Travel policies, as far as I know, do not consider covid worries a valid reason to cancel a flight.   I'm not even sure how the cancel for any reason coverage would apply to voluntary cancels due to concerns about covid exposure.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Now I'm kind of lost.  Your original comment was that surely our travel insurance would cover our cancelling a flight, and yet your own policy wouldn't provide coverage.  Travel policies, as far as I know, do not consider covid worries a valid reason to cancel a flight.   I'm not even sure how the cancel for any reason coverage would apply to voluntary cancels due to concerns about covid exposure.  

As I read it, your cruise was cancelled, therefore your whole holiday was nul and void,  and thus your flights were no longer required.  So you could make a claim. However,  it is a grey area.

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm not even sure how the cancel for any reason coverage would apply to voluntary cancels due to concerns about covid exposure.  

CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) is just that. "I don't feel like going" I'm cancelling. Now,, issue the refund or credit up to max allowable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

As I read it, your cruise was cancelled, therefore your whole holiday was nul and void,  and thus your flights were no longer required.  So you could make a claim. However,  it is a grey area.

Thanks Wowzz.  Now I see where you are coming from.  The flight was part of a land trip that preceded the cruise. But like you say maybe a grey area.  

For the many people relying on insurance to protect you from this, all I can say is you better double-check your terms. Few companies are paying out for COVID related issues.

This topic serves as a good reminder. As long as this panic ensues, flying overseas really isn't an option for me. Every vacation option I am choosing, I am also considering a backup option, assuming the original will fall through.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

For the many people relying on insurance to protect you from this, all I can say is you better double-check your terms. Few companies are paying out for COVID related issues.

This topic serves as a good reminder. As long as this panic ensues, flying overseas really isn't an option for me. Every vacation option I am choosing, I am also considering a backup option, assuming the original will fall through.

We just managed to divest ourselves of just about all expenses associated with a combined land/cruise trip in Europe we had originally booked for this September.   As much as we miss it, there won't be any international travel until we are comfortable that the pandemic is managed.