Pullmantur's Ships Will Be Returned To Royal Caribbean

I hope someone caught this on video and it makes it to social media somewhere.  Can't imagine that it wouldn't since EVERYTHING that happens these days seems to be on video somewhere.

If you have IG, Captain Selim posted a video of it a few moments ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

30 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Found it.  Thanks.  Kind of anticlimactic.  Gotta be a weird feeling for the Captain and remaining crew.

There’s also one taken from the bridge-view - if you click on #aliaga in the description and then under Most Recent select the first video showing the front of the ship.

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

There’s also one taken from the bridge-view - if you click on #aliaga in the description and then under Most Recent select the first video showing the front of the ship.

Thank you. That had to be so hard for any crew onboard. [emoji853] I know most are off, but any bridge crew remaining probably hated to see it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

Such a shame, Monarch was our 3rd Cruise, we got off Independance from a Transatlantic and then the next day got onto Monarch, a bit of a difference but still wonderful.  Sailed her a few times and then about 2-3 years ago sailed on Allure and the followed it up with Majesty.

8 hours ago, MADflyer said:

The art would most certainly have been removed and is of great value. 

Royal Caribbean has one of the largest private art collections in the world. While the art could be re-purposed, it would more likely to some degree go to the international art auction market. 

Royal Caribbean has a very close relationship with International Corporate Art that goes back to their original Norwegian origins. Over 20% of the art on Royal Caribbean ships is Norwegian and Royal has a major art foundation established in Norway. 

https://www.icart.net/

Thanks, nice to know this,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

What a very rare and very sad sight- to sister ships, looking identical - once the biggest ships in the world - next to each other, ready for scrap!

While they may have been the "biggest" cruise ships at one time, they were never even close to the largest ships in the world at any time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The sad emotional part in the video is that at the 1:27 mark the captain /officer says "She's strong, she's going up, she's ok". Kind of brought a tear to my eye knowing her fate.

I feel like the Monarch and Soverign had many more years to give. This is very unfortunate indeed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tx121 said:

Screenshot_20200723-070654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.50c3e53ce02a009e33d7c8ef2c30cca3.jpg

Never knew there was a extra glassed in area on the Monarch (Sovereign). 

I wonder how much the ship scrapping yard paid for each ship.

The forward areas of Decks 11 and 12 were arranged slightly differently on Monarch / Majesty than Sovereign.  The extra glass you see on Monarch that you don't see on Sovereign is the forward area of the Windjammer.  On Sovereign that area was originally an open-air space.  As part of the ship's 2004 dry dock, the indoor capacity of Sovereign's Windjammer was expanded somewhat into the former open-air space.  There's lots of great footage of this in the "Dry Dock: A Cruise Ship Reborn" documentary that can be found on youtube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was thinking the same as you.  

If I had sailed on them I would not be mourning, I might be reminiscing.  My first cruise was on the Dawn Princess.  With it being our 15 year anniversary tomorrow I will consider how it opened the cruise world to our household.  As it turned out she was docked beside us as we boarded our second cruise, 6 months later in PE.  Where she is today, I have no clue.

Now called Pacific Explorer and operated by P&O Australia  https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=859  She is currently off the coast of Malaysia

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was thinking the same as you.  

If I had sailed on them I would not be mourning, I might be reminiscing.  My first cruise was on the Dawn Princess.  With it being our 15 year anniversary tomorrow I will consider how it opened the cruise world to our household.  As it turned out she was docked beside us as we boarded our second cruise, 6 months later in PE.  Where she is today, I have no clue.

We sailed the Crown Princess 30 years ago, one of our first. Gorgeous ship.  She's still out there, but I prefer to see her in my memories.

Postcard Crown Princess 1991 - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic ...

Damn, she was stunning in her day

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 4:16 AM, Kbonner said:

Did you enjoy one of the lounges for either D, D+, Pins or suites ? No - than it is time for the Majesty to be beached as it falls short of RCIs standard

Majesty is a great ship, with great Diamond parties in the Crown Lounge.  She will be kept on, for future Cuba cruises. 

Hopefully they find a buyer for Horizon, her size (smaller size of ship and bigger size of standard cabins) might be more interesting for other lines with older ships. If others buy old and ugly ones like Costa Neoromantica or Veendam in the current situation why not Horizon? Much nicer ship in my view!

Edited by Saab4444

While sad this was inevitable.  The pandemic simply accelerated the process.  

When Pullmantur 2.0 launches more of Royal's older ships can be moved to her allowing Royal's fleet to grow younger and bigger.   That may take a few years but it's all part of the master plan.