NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Reinstated with what expiration date?  CN certs have expiration dates.  Yours was expiring, and NCL gave you an extension so you could use it to book a cruise sailing after the expiration date.  So if NCL "reinstates" the cert, what should the expiration date be?    You have not been very clear here in this thread with folks who are trying to help you; I hope you have been clearer with NCL. 

What specific contract are you talking about? 

Don't think you're grasping the issue. Read the threads please.I am 100% Clear. NCL cancelled the cruise . I can not be clearer to you. Please read the threads before commenting . 

Just now, Thequietone said:

Don't think you're grasping the issue. Read the threads please.I am 100% Clear. NCL cancelled the cruise . I can not be clearer to you. Please read the threads before commenting . 

When you book a cruise you have a contract with NCL. They have broken the contract.

1 minute ago, Thequietone said:

Seriously?  Not reading the thread?  I've been here since the beginning.  Perhaps you should go back and read the thread and see my posts.

1 minute ago, Thequietone said:

What is it you don't understand?

Book a cruise you have a contract . Both parties have to work within that contract . One breaks the contract . The other party claims . Very easy and simple. NCL have broken their contract .

29 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Book a cruise you have a contract . Both parties have to work within that contract . One breaks the contract . The other party claims . Very easy and simple. NCL have broken their contract .

Exactly right. A merchant can't breach a contract and then attempt to invalidate a payment that was redeemed at a time when it was fully valid and had value. The law doesn't work that way. I can't figure out why they try to take these ridiculous, frivolous positions in this stuff. I've said before...just like spirit airlines.....fee, fee, fee, consistent dissatisfied passengers, high level of consumer complaints. They are already under Attorney General investigation, yet continue with immoral, unethical, and dishonest practices.

Think about this...they totally relax cancellation policies to the general public via Peace of Mind and then stick it their existing customer base who purchased cruise next on a prior sailing. Great business strategy, huh? What a bunch of clowns running that entity.

Edited by luv2kroooz

19 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Exactly right. A merchant can't breach a contract and then attempt to invalidate a payment that was redeemed at a time when it was fully valid and had value. The law doesn't work that way. I can't figure out why they try to take these ridiculous, frivolous positions in this stuff. I've said before...just like spirit airlines.....fee, fee, fee, consistent dissatisfied passengers, high level of consumer complaints. They are already under Attorney General investigation, yet continue with immoral, unethical, and dishonest practices.

It seems to be built into a bad company's policy. Their position is totally untenable but still they use smoke and mirrors to avoid their responsibilities.

Sad to think that it must work for them with other innocent clients. Corporate Bullies.

Other companies bend over backwards to help and assist when things go wrong

Edited by Thequietone
spelling

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

I think you're missing the point....   You're example is not what happened to the OP...  You're example is if "you" cancel.... then absolutely you should lose the certificate but the OP was cancelled by NCL and this should be extended at a minimum until NCL is fully operational. 

I have memberships to a gym, a movie theater, etc that expired during the government mandated closure...... each and every membership was extended the exact amount of time they were closed.  Heck, even states are extending expired licenses and vehicle registrations because they were shut down. 

Granted, everything is fluid and crazy but scolding someone for having 4 (or 5) years to use is not the best way to talk about this.  I have a stash of them (buy a bunch at a time) and I cruise at least 2 times a year but in 2020 where 3 were cancelled...  I am juggling the expiration dates because the ones I bought in 2017 were used for bookings in 2019, 2020, and 2021..... now I have 3 that I have to use, sell, or eat and I used them according to the T&C's that extenuating circumstances beyond my (and NCL's) control penalize me. 

Lesson learned.....by 2 at a time at most. 

I did not miss the point. You get 4 years to use it. From what I understand the OP had at least one that already expired, but they extended it to book this cruise, since this cruise was after the original expiration date, the cert was lost. 

I had a similar situation, my May cruise was cancelled, and my certa were returned, but they expired this summer, I booked another cruise amd they extended them to cover that, if that cruise is cancelled I fully expect to lose them since it will be 5 years. I will certainly ask NCL to apply them to another cruise if it happens, but I won't expect it. 

11 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I did not miss the point. You get 4 years to use it. From what I understand the OP had at least one that already expired, but they extended it to book this cruise, since this cruise was after the original expiration date, the cert was lost. 

I had a similar situation, my May cruise was cancelled, and my certa were returned, but they expired this summer, I booked another cruise amd they extended them to cover that, if that cruise is cancelled I fully expect to lose them since it will be 5 years. I will certainly ask NCL to apply them to another cruise if it happens, but I won't expect it. 

Ncl accepted them as payment that becomes a legally binding contract. NCL have broken the contract . Now NCL are legally obligated to repay what they have not honoured. This is contractual . Nothing to do with expiry dates. The voucher was accepted currency by NCL some is accepted refund and their cancellation, currency in law.

18 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

OP, all I can say is "good luck" as far as winning this battle with NCL.  

Personally, I'm not really sure why you'd ever consider cruising with NCL again under the circumstances.  

Stay healthy.  

I love causing will NCL. I don't cruise with there inept management . The ship's crew make for a wonderful cruise experience. While ever they have my money I will be cruising with them once all the vouchers are used up .

I will keep you posted will my results.

20 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I used the voucher and NCL accepted the voucher .This then becomes a legally binding contract with NCL.

NCL broke the contract so now I am legally entitled to a refund. I paid for services they did not provide.

14 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

I used the voucher and NCL accepted the voucher .This then becomes a legally binding contract with NCL.

NCL broke the contract so now I am legally entitled to a refund. I paid for services they did not provide.

I don't know what your specific laws are on this. But in the US cruise next certificates have no cash value. 

8 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I don't know what your specific laws are on this. But in the US cruise next certificates have no cash value. 

They have the value that was used to pay for the cruise. That value is part of the contract so that has to be reinstated by way of  another voucher or a cash refund. NCL have broken their contract and cancelled the cruise. I,as a party to the contract should suffer no loss, This is USA, Canadien, UK, Australian etc Law. This US or another CruiseNext certificate has a value to pay part towards a NCL cruise. This is a value . I legally should not suffer any loss as I have not broken their contract.

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Think about this...they totally relax cancellation policies to the general public via Peace of Mind and then stick it their existing customer base who purchased cruise next on a prior sailing. Great business strategy, huh? What a bunch of clowns running that entity.

Jokers, Management by fear and threats. Stupidity on every front. Clueless and a judgement day is coming for them soon.

36 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

They have the value that was used to pay for the cruise. That value is part of the contract so that has to be reinstated by way of  another voucher or a cash refund. NCL have broken their contract and cancelled the cruise. I,as a party to the contract should suffer no loss, This is USA, Canadien, UK, Australian etc Law. This US or another CruiseNext certificate has a value to pay part towards a NCL cruise. This is a value . I legally should not suffer any loss as I have not broken their contract.

I would hire an attorney and let us know how it goes. Cruise Next certificates have no cash value and are useless after their expiration date. There is no clause in NCLs contract that allows you to get it extended or a cash refund. 

Nobody here works for NCL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I would hire an attorney and let us know how it goes. Cruise Next certificates have no cash value and are useless after their expiration date. There is no clause in NCLs contract that allows you to get it extended or a cash refund. 

3 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

The voucher hadn't expired.What do I need to get extended? I paid part of the cruise with the voucher, it hadn't expired . They accepted the voucher because it had't expired . That is contractual. What they accepted I want back. They haven't delivered the cruise. They cancelled the cruise. Very simple. Don't need an attorney just the voucher refunded now NCL have cancelled the cruise.

4 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

The voucher hadn't expired.What do I need to get extended? I paid part of the cruise with the voucher, it hadn't expired . They accepted the voucher because it had't expired . That is contractual. What they accepted I want back. They haven't delivered the cruise. They cancelled the cruise. Very simple. Don't need an attorney just the voucher refunded now NCL have cancelled the cruise.

But it had expired, as a courtesy, they extended it so you could book this particular cruise, not any future cruise. The cruise was canceled, so it reverts back to being expired.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But it had expired, as a courtesy, they extended it so you could book this particular cruise, not any future cruise. The cruise was canceled, so it reverts back to being expired.

Sorry just don't get that. The voucher became part of the contract with NCL. They cancelled the contract. It was a contractual payment that they accepted as payment. Check it out , if you can't see that. Don't take my word for it. They can't chose or change a contract to suit them. Check it out

119 posts on this topic since the OP started it on Monday. I think it's clear what happened and why the OP is upset, but I have to ask: what is the point of this thread anymore? What is the author hoping to achieve at this point? Get more solidarity? Invoke sympathy from other people? I just don't get it. Good luck to you but I think you've made your case and now it's time to move on. No one here works at NCL and can help you. It's up to you and NCL from now on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

119 posts on this topic since the OP started it on Monday. I think it's clear what happened and why the OP is upset, but I have to ask: what is the point of this thread anymore? What is the author hoping to achieve at this point? Get more solidarity? Invoke sympathy from other people? I just don't get it. Good luck to you but I think you've made your case and now it's time to move on. No one here works at NCL and can help you. It's up to you and NCL from now on.

Thank you for your input I moved on before the post. They will be people out there that have had the same experience with NCL.

If people are still interested the post stays live. Who is anyone to judge? I am staying here thank you for your contribution.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Sorry just don't get that. The voucher became part of the contract with NCL. They cancelled the contract. It was a contractual payment that they accepted as payment. Check it out , if you can't see that. Don't take my word for it. They can't chose or change a contract to suit them. Check

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms&ved=2ahUKEwjRvqKjxcXqAhXilOAKHeKgBEEQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1FgQPuE-R1qLlvlkHquvb6

Please explain how you are exempt from these terms. You signed the form when you bought your certificates. If its past 48 months you are entitled to nothing. If you are within 48 months you certainly are entitled to the cert with thw original expiration date. You are not entitled to cash in either situation. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, Thequietone said:

I have now had a response from the Vice President of customer services, who instead of dealing with the issue has passed it on to somebody else. That tells a story also.

I've had that happen too on another issue.   Whoever reads their mail lacks reading comprehension skills.  I had to write to him because a department didn't understand their own policies.  So he refers my letter back to the same department who, now years later has not contacted me.

What the OP HASN'T answered yet is the question posed by @Turtles06 - reinstate the certificates with WHAT expiration date?  NCL could reinstate the certificate with an expiration of tomorrow with your intent to re-book a cruise today for later this year but what happens if THAT one gets cancelled?  How far out do you expect them to push the expiration?  Do you expect it to get pushed to Feb 2021?  Feb 2022?

No, it isn't your fault the cruise was cancelled, it wasn't NCL's either.

I've said it before - the out of pocket purchase value of a CruiseNext certificate is $125 if YOU bought two on board a previous cruise.  If you get no satisfaction from customer service, is it really worth it to push the issue?

For what it's worth - I don't believe the expiration dates are arbitrary.  Maybe someone in the financial sector will see this thread and chime in but I believe that these carry on the books as a liability and eventually need to be shuffled off the books.

16 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms&ved=2ahUKEwjRvqKjxcXqAhXilOAKHeKgBEEQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1FgQPuE-R1qLlvlkHquvb6

Please explain how you are exempt from these terms. You signed the form when you bought your certificates. If its past 48 months you are entitled to nothing. If you are within 48 months you certainly are entitled to the cert with thw original expiration date. You are not entitled to cash in either situation. 

I am not and neither are NCL. They cancelled they cruise.