Final payment due 18 July 2020

gordylad

What’s your thoughts folks, a Caribbean cruise 23 Oct

Personally I can’t see it happening but for the folks in the US what do you think

Last I heard Florida was still in a bad way with the virus and as the ship leaves from Fort Lauderdale adds more questions into the mix

All the best

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not making final payment on any future cruises until there is a fully documented restart plan which addresses the pre-cruise requirements,  the onboard experience, and most of all the protocols for dealing with any cases of illness onboard and the availability of travel medical insurance which will cover medical expenses of covid.

I've cancelled everything for the rest of 2020.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm not making final payment on any future cruises until there is a fully documented restart plan which addresses the pre-cruise requirements,  the onboard experience, and most of all the protocols for dealing with any cases of illness onboard and the availability of travel medical insurance which will cover medical expenses of covid.

Exactly my thoughts as well.  Even if the cruise were to occur, what is the quality of said cruise?  Will the experience be so diminished that I feel like I over paid?

OP, I really think October is not going to happen and I would not make final payment.  Were I in your place, I would have my TA call to see if they will push back final payment date.  It's a long shot but worth a try.  Could buy you a little time to see how things continue to unfold.

• Like 1

I agree that it is unlikely to happen. I would also caution anyone from making a final payment while cruising is suspended/there is a high probability of your cruise being canceled unless you are ok with that money not being returned to you for some time.

Despite my better judgement I did make final payment for our cruise in June. It was subsequently canceled in mid April and it took over two months for X to process our refund. I'm still working on getting everything sorted from our cruise that was canceled in late March. Like other posters, as a result I've canceled everything else for 2020 and did the L&S for our sailing in February 2021 just to be safe. I love cruising, but after my two experiences with canceled sailings I'm not willing to give any line more money until cruises have resume and I have an idea of what it will look like.

• Like 2

If you don’t mind additional FCC, then you can take the chance.  But with # of Florida cases surging - it will be atleast 3 or 4 months before the curve flattens “IF” they do something to plank the curve.

Also, never mind Florida and its surge.  What Caribbean ports of call will even accept ships in October?   Could be a lot of sea days!

One example of the current Caribbean environment:  Sint Maarten is open for tourism but you have to show a Negative COVID19 test result within the past 72 hours.  That won’t work for Cruisers.

Image below is NOT for Cruisers - but gives you an idea of the current environment

sintmaarten.thumb.jpg.2edcb3aabb5126a9840c39381ae492d0.jpg

Edited by hvbaskey

Suggest a lift and shift  for a later date,

If that is not possible, why invest more money for a likely "no go" . Close to home is the key these days!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

The elephant in the room no one is talking about.  They can talk about masks and social distancing all day.  What is the specific plan to deal with a positive covid test onboard?  All our cruises have been shifted to late 2021 and 2022.  Thankfully no need to send them any money for at least a year.  It's actually been liberating and nice to move on and not think about cruis plans for a while. 

I'm amazed people are putting down deposits and final payments for cruises in 2020.......

Edited by bouhunter

54 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

If you don’t mind additional FCC, then you can take the chance.  But with # of Florida cases surging - it will be atleast 3 or 4 months before the curve flattens “IF” they do something to plank the curve.

Also, never mind Florida and its surge.  What Caribbean ports of call will even accept ships in October?   Could be a lot of sea days!

One example of the current Caribbean environment:  Sint Maarten is open for tourism but you have to show a Negative COVID19 test result within the past 72 hours.  That won’t work for Cruisers.

Image below is NOT for Cruisers - but gives you an idea of the current environment

sintmaarten.thumb.jpg.2edcb3aabb5126a9840c39381ae492d0.jpg

And US travelers are not allowed in St. Maarten yet.  We bought plane tickets there for January, but it was only 176.00RT from MIA so not much at risk. 🙂

Oh Boy -- Here we go again .

Everybody is different regarding the risk they are willing to take about cruising .

For us it's simple--- If it ain't gonna be no fun with many restrictions , we will stay home .

Over the years we enjoyed many cruises and what's the purpose of spending all that money and be limited in our overall cruise experience.

I just talked myself into cancelling our November cruise. 

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

For us it's simple--- If it ain't gonna be no fun with many restrictions , we will stay home .

Over the years we enjoyed many cruises and what's the purpose of spending all that money and be limited in our overall cruise experience.

That is exactly how we feel.  Well, maybe not "stay home" all the time, but travel that isn't cruising 🙂

• Like 1

I can’t see any cruises sailing until mid 2021. I would just cancel and keep your money. RCL and NCL just started this Healthy Sail Panel which I think they should have started a couple of months ago. It’s a wait and see.

26 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I can’t see any cruises sailing until mid 2021. I would just cancel and keep your money. RCL and NCL just started this Healthy Sail Panel which I think they should have started a couple of months ago. It’s a wait and see.

@Travelexpert35 - off topic - but just saw your location under the icon - one of my favourite places in the world!   I took Marine Bio courses at the Huntsman Laboratory 🐳 (many many moons ago!)

7 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

@Travelexpert35 - off topic - but just saw your location under the icon - one of my favourite places in the world!   I took Marine Bio courses at the Huntsman Laboratory 🐳 (many many moons ago!)

You’ll have to visit one of these days. We love it here.

• Like 1

I think any cruise this year is very questionable, I have one in November on another line which I am sure we will cancel. What I found interesting is our celebrity charter cruise at end of February has been postponed to 2022, this had lots of music stars from the 1970’s .

14 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Agreed.

As part of the fully documented restart plan, I'd also like to see: the timely refund of cruise fares should said start up not materialize....

We have a cruise booked from Tampa late February 2021 final payment is due 

in December. If there are no sailings by then or it has not been cancelled 

I will not be making the payment but as it was an on board booking I will just move it on 

and keep all the perks.

I wouldn’t pay it.  We cancelled our cruise through the Panama Canal this October because of the COVID-19 situation. We moved 2 cruises from this year into November 2021 and April 2022, hopeful that cruising will be possible by then. 

9 hours ago, swigso said:

We have a cruise booked from Tampa late February 2021 final payment is due 

in December. If there are no sailings by then or it has not been cancelled 

I will not be making the payment but as it was an on board booking I will just move it on 

and keep all the perks.

We have a Jan 2021 cruise booked on Equinox. As we also booked onboard we booked our own flights pre Covid so now we have the problem of what to do if we move the cruise and the flights are still going ahead ? 

46 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

We have a Jan 2021 cruise booked on Equinox. As we also booked onboard we booked our own flights pre Covid so now we have the problem of what to do if we move the cruise and the flights are still going ahead ? 

We have flights booked to Miami from the UK, if they go it is likely that we will do a land vacation in Florida, or maybe a trip to Hawaii. That is if the virus allows travel.

We will be able to cancel or move our flights due to BA’s Covid booking conditions.

I just hope we can sail but as said in another thread if we need to wear a mask and keep

apart I do not think cruising will be something that will appeal.

The world has gone mad