Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

If it's the Pfizer vaccine, how are they going to keep it at -70 degrees?  I just got my first Pfizer injection last week.  The nurse giving it reached back behind her and picked one of the 5-6 syringes laying there to inject me.  🍷 

You better hope they don't give it to you at -70 degrees.  I think your body will go into some kind of shock.  The -70 degrees is shipping temperatures from Kalamazoo (Pfizer's plant) to where ever you live (probably some major metropolitan area).  They pack the vaccine in dry ice (solid state carbon dioxide) to keep it cold enough during transit. I don't know if that -70 degrees is F or C, it is minor as dry ice is -109.3 F and -78.5 C.  Let's say the destination is LA.  There should be a special freezer to store that vaccine.  Supposedly, once the vaccine starts thawing, you have about 5 days to use it up even if you keep it at a refrigerator temperature.  Fedex or UPS are authorized to do the shipments.  The vaccine, I assume, has to be thawed in order to be used.   So depending on the amount of remaining dry ice or if the hospital or pharmacy has that special freezer, best to use it up in 5 days.  Question of the day:  Is Pfizer contributing to Global Warming?  (I couldn't resist asking that, LOL)

Edited by deadzone1003

2 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

The vaccine, I assume, has to be thawed in order to be used.   So depending on the amount of remaining dry ice or if the hospital or pharmacy has that special freezer, best to use it up in 5 days.  Question of the day:  Is Pfizer contributing to Global Warming?  (I couldn't resist asking that, LOL)

This is from the FDA site:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Storage and Handling
During storage, minimize exposure to room light, and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and ultraviolet light.
Do not refreeze thawed vials. Frozen Vials Prior to Use
Cartons of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Multiple Dose Vials arrive in thermal containers with dry ice. Once received, remove the vial cartons immediately from the thermal container and store in an ultra-low temperature freezer between -80oC to -60oC (-112oF to -76oF). Vials must be kept frozen between -80oC to -60oC (-112oF to -76oF) and protected from light until ready to use.

If an ultra-low temperature freezer is not available, the thermal container in which the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine arrives may be used as temporary storage when consistently re-filled to the top of the container with dry ice. Refer to the re-icing guidelines packed in the original thermal container for instructions regarding the use of the thermal container for temporary storage. The thermal container maintains a temperature range of -90oC to -60oC (-130oF to -76oF). Storage within this temperature range is not considered an excursion from the recommended storage condition.

Thawed Vials Before Dilution

Thawed Under Refrigeration
Thaw and then store undiluted vials in the refrigerator [2oC to 8oC (35oF to 46oF)] for up to 5 days (120 hours). A carton of 25 vials or 195 vials may take up to 2 or 3 hours, respectively, to thaw in the refrigerator, whereas a fewer number of vials will thaw in less time.
Thawed at Room Temperature
For immediate use, thaw undiluted vials at room temperature [up to 25oC (77oF)] for 30 minutes. Thawed vials can be handled in room light conditions. Vials must reach room temperature before dilution.
Undiluted vials may be stored at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

If it's the Pfizer vaccine, how are they going to keep it at -70 degrees?  I just got my first Pfizer injection last week.  The nurse giving it reached back behind her and picked one of the 5-6 syringes laying there to inject me.  🍷 

HUH???  Makes zero sense

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

HUH???  Makes zero sense

It does to her if you think shipping/storage temperature is the same temperature the vaccine must be before injection.  At least she is willing to ask that question in order to clarify her confusion.  I'm sure she is not the only one.

It appears that in GA, we won't get through the 1A+ group until May. We are only getting 80,000 doses per week for the whole state. The second dose people will come on line at the end of January which reduce the doses given to 1st timers by 50%. The GA department of health is still 'studying' how to improve distribution. Good news though...we have moved from the 50th place in distribution to 49th.

Edited by baldilocks
sentence structure

4 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

It appears that in GA, we won't get through the 1A+ group until May. We are only getting 80,000 doses per week for the whole state. The second dose people will come on line at the end of January which reduce the doses given to 1st timers by 50%. The GA department of health is still 'studying' how to improve distribution. Good news though...we have moved from the 50th place in distribution to 49th.

Keep the faith.  The slower states like GA will get their acts together.  It is frustrating though.

It appears that a lot of the states are complaining that the numbers provided by the CDC don't match what they are actually receiving. This could account for the perception that there are a lot of doses sitting on shelves n freezers..... Hopefully the new administration will be able to sort it out. 🙄

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/health/trump-biden-covid-19-vaccine-numbers-bn/index.html

10 hours ago, Orator said:

Both my DW and I are over 75 and on two lists for Palm Beach County, Florida. Still haven't been given an appointment. Perhaps we should start smoking or commit a crime and we'd move to the front of the line.

You'd be ahead of the game in NY /NJ! 

Drug rehab goes ahead of first responders and seniors.... kind of wierd!

On 1/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, phoenix_dream said:

On 1/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, phoenix_dream said:

I sincerely (and avidly!) hope he is correct.  Unfortunately he is also the one who led me to believe that as a 65+ year old I would be getting vaccinated starting in December.  In my state it could take me until sometime in April.  Big difference.  I do have a lot of respect for him, but the point is that the best laid and anticipated plans with this vaccine have not exactly come to pass as promised.  But I will continue to hope for the best!

Live in the suburbs of Chicago too! Lots of 65+ friends are getting vaccines this week through Jewel Osco.  Try this site to make appt- mhealthappointsment.com

Good luck!

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

If they give out 80K this week to 1st timers and only have 80K to give out 3 or 4 weeks later (depending on which vaccine) then the entire 80K (not just 50%) would have to go to 2nd timers!  Hopefully the distribution will ramp up to 160K or more by then.

19 hours ago, verizon said:

Residents can begin making reservations Wednesday with the first doses being distributed on Thursday.

Clicked on the link when it opened at 6:00AM. Waited an hour and 15 minutes when it showed "closed for appointments". Never got to the stage where I could schedule an appointment. I will keep trying to get an appointment with someone.

5 minutes ago, Orator said:

Clicked on the link when it opened at 6:00AM. Waited an hour and 15 minutes when it showed "closed for appointments". Never got to the stage where I could schedule an appointment. I will keep trying to get an appointment with someone.

When I get online at 6:40 it still said all locations appointments open but can never get in.

What a joke.

Maybe a bit of housekeeping here as a suggestion.  Not trying to offend anybody. This thread has gone from being informative mostly on the science of COVID vaccines in general to a bunch of posts on "I got the vaccine" or "I am waiting for the vaccine" or "I am annoyed that my state is not getting me the vaccine yet".  Maybe a new thread could be started that is something like a COVID vaccine tracker if everybody wants to post about their experience?  Kind of like the threads earlier on refund tracking?  There is also another thread already entitled "I Got My Vaccine!  Let's Go" with many similar posts.  Just a suggestion.  These are all being very redundant at this point IMO.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wine-O said:

The shingles vaccine is kept at -50° and it's never been a problem.  So what's the issue...?

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just a suggestion.  These are all being very redundant at this point IMO.

You are correct---

To be honest, I don't care who got their vaccine, when they got it, where they got it, how long the line was, etc, etc. 

I do care what the scientific evidence is as you pointed out many times, and thank you for your clear and concise explanations.

I also care when the hell we will get more vaccine in Canada !!!

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted?

Saga cruises in the UK are asking for passengers to be vaccinated prior to cruising 

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/coronavirus-cruise-passengers.

For those not familiar with Saga, they offer cruises and other holidays to the over 50’s (or ?55 not quite sure if the age cut off).

427489CE-8A34-47A8-821A-6A8477ABBE64.png

Edited by downsmead

44 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Is it widely accepted  that even if you have had your 2 doses of vaccine, you will still be required to have a negative test before flying / cruising?

Not sure what you mean as widely accepted.  All forms of speculation.  No definitive answers.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Is it widely accepted  that even if you have had your 2 doses of vaccine, you will still be required to have a negative test before flying / cruising?

Probably, but it is still the airlines, cruise lines, or CDC would make that final decision.  Just because you have the vaccine that small percentage of you could still get sick and pass it on.  You may not die, but you can still get sick and pass it on.  The probability of it happening is lowered considerably, but it is not eliminated.  Expect a test requirement, but just a temperature check plus your name on a vaccine database may be sufficient.   We are speculating at this point.  

Edited by deadzone1003
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:43 PM, nocl said:

You are assuming that the reported cases represent the total number of infections.  Due to the number of asymptomatic cases, as well as the number of people that show symptoms, but are never tested that number does not represent all of the cases.  Latest estimate is that the actual number of cases is at least 2-3 times the reported/tested number.

Just listened to Gottlieb where he stated that around 30% of the US population has been infected.  That would be close to 100 million (a little over 3 times the tested number). Which should, along with the vaccines start impacting infection rates. Even with the more contagious strains showing up.

The CDC's estimate of mortality rate is around .65%.  Other institutions have varying numbers, in a similar ball park.  Though the number can be worse in third world countries or even in first world countries if the hospitals get over whelmed.

True the reported cases may not represent the total number of infections. How many have died of strokes, heart failure,  kidney failure, ect..., which are listed as reasons for death, when in fact if they had not had COVID 19 may still be alive?

Edited by larry_s_taco
Typo

23 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

True the reported cases may not represent the total number of infections. How many have died of strokes, heart failure,  kidney failure, ect..., which are listed as reasons for death, when in fact if they had not had COVID 19 may still be alive?

And on the flip side, how many would have died this year without a positive COVID test but being counted as such?  Terminal cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.  Blunt force trauma (yes, listed as secondary COD).. We have done a grave disservice in how the counting is being done, because we will never know the true morality of this virus. 

• Like 1