The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

6 hours ago, FuncleAlbert said:

So you know all about "A" thru "E" tickets, and probably stood in line just to get some extra ones by the end of the day? 

I definitely remember A-E tickets for my high school grad night at Disneyland! And the requirement we wear jackets and ties. That was BEFORE the term “Black Tie Optional” was even a term! 

The only memory of my Aunt taking me when I was 5, was the story she told about my seeing Catholic nuns for the first time. According to her, I said “Oh, Auntie, look

at all those witches…”. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

Opening day. I know precisely where I was.  Do you?

Keith

856829_071615-AP-Disneyland-1.jpg.f728e5ce4443d9425e323fc6fbfff074.jpg

disneyland_opening_day(2).thumb.jpg.c5a742fd78e938d87ee67fd8ff1a17ef.jpg

Remember that in 1956 and 1958 I wore a dress. My 1964 it was Bermuda shorts. The unwritten dress code was changing fast!!

Patty

• Like 4

I am a So Cal Baby and have gone so many times.  My Mom was dating (single) someone who loved children and he took all of us about 1963.  About 7 years ago, a group of my high school friends went together and then more of my high school friends joined us for dinner at Downtown Disney. We had a great time.  We're gathering again for our High School Reunion and some of my friends are going again. It's a lot more crowded and $$$ for a day. 

We have a friend with access to Club 33 and went many times.  The rules changed that you must go with the members now so that's limited our visits.  We had lunch when Christian Bale there and I hosted a group of friends from Australia. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Remember that in 1956 and 1958 I wore a dress. My 1964 it was Bermuda shorts. The unwritten dress code was changing fast!!

Patty

A few years before my time.  However, I have vague memories of the 1964 Worlds Fair in queens New York.

Nancy

• Like 2

Oh the 1964 and 1965 Worlds Fair is the only time we went to a Worlds Fair.

I remember that several countries exhibits were not ready until 1965. We went a few times.

What was nice was seeing some of the items that I had memories of at Disney such as It's A Small World, Carousel of Progress and Great Moments with Mr Lincoln years later and eventually with our children. Just as the Map at Gettysburg which was so 1960sh remained in my memory it was nice to see that when we took the kids there years later.

1964 has so many great memories between the World Fair and the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan.  

Keith

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Oh the 1964 and 1965 Worlds Fair is the only time we went to a Worlds Fair.

I remember that several countries exhibits were not ready until 1965. We went a few times.

What was nice was seeing some of the items that I had memories of at Disney such as It's A Small World, Carousel of Progress and Great Moments with Mr Lincoln years later and eventually with our children. Just as the Map at Gettysburg which was so 1960sh remained in my memory it was nice to see that when we took the kids there years later.

1964 has so many great memories between the World Fair and the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan.  

Keith

Since you are a few years older, your memories from the worlds fair are spot on! 😊

I went a few times with my parents as we didn’t live far from there and had relatives close by

Nancy

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FuncleAlbert said:

I think this is your memory playing tricks with you again, Keith1010.

Both A Small World and the GE Carousel of Progress opened up in the World's Fair first, and then in Disneyland maybe two years later. Still good memories, just in the wrong order.

Does anyone know if the New York Pavilion is still there or was it flushed away after Men in Black?

newyorkpavillion.thumb.jpg.b7079daadd1907a08e5f3e638ae60f5d.jpg

Thanks…I do remember it’s a small world and the GE Carousel of progress at the worlds fair as well at my first visit to WDW in the early 70’s.  I also remember finding a timex watch near the giant globe! 😊

Nancy

23 minutes ago, FuncleAlbert said:

I think this is your memory playing tricks with you again, Keith1010.

Both A Small World and the GE Carousel of Progress opened up in the World's Fair first, and then in Disneyland maybe two years later. Still good memories, just in the wrong order.

Does anyone know if the New York Pavilion is still there or was it flushed away after Men in Black?

newyorkpavillion.thumb.jpg.b7079daadd1907a08e5f3e638ae60f5d.jpg

That is what I said. Sorry if I was not clear but saw them first at the World’s Fair and eventually saw them at Disneyland with our children years later.  Lincoln saw that at one of the Disneys with the family. 

Keith

Did the NY worlds fair several times as visitors always wanted to go.  To show how old I also had done the 1958 Brussels  fair.  I think my first Disney land visit they were offering lifetime park passes for $30 - wish I had taken that up.  First time to Disney World the Orlando airport was just a small hanger in a corner of the airport and Magic Kingdom was mostly there and Epcot had just opened and was only a small park with almost nothing there

Ok I'm old

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FuncleAlbert said:

So you know all about "A" thru "E" tickets, and probably stood in line just to get some extra ones by the end of the day? 

Extra ones? I don’t remember that part. There are still parts of my very first visit to WDW (when only the Magic Kingdom existed) in summer of 1976 that I remember vividly.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I must be the odd man out on World's Fairs, having missed the BIG ones.  Been to just 2.  Expo67 in Montreal (directly across from the cruise terminal) and 1982 in Knoxville.

Roy

My parents took me to Expo 67 when I was twelve.  The experience really leaves an impression at that age.  Bucky Fuller's geodesic dome, oh wow.

In a completely unrelated update: OLoPP just got back from visiting her mom in KC for Mother's Day. So I worked up something nice as a reward for her diligence: the scallops were excellent, the charcoal grilled steak very good(need to get a thicker cut next time) and the first of the season homemade chocolate ice cream(topped with caramel sea salt) had her swooning.  I takes care of them who takes care of me.   

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I must be the odd man out on World's Fairs, having missed the BIG ones.  Been to just 2.  Expo67 in Montreal (directly across from the cruise terminal) and 1982 in Knoxville.

Roy

Roy, we were fortunate to live about 45 minutes (more or less depending on traffic) to the location of the World's Fair.

Keith

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FuncleAlbert said:

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier is that California Adventure was built on the original parking lot for Disneyland.

Yes this i remember.  Challenge for Disneyland was being land locked and so many hotels were just outside the park.  Walt Disney planned Disney World so this wouldn't happen.  

When we lived in California we would drive down from the Bay Area a couple of days before New Years and then stay there right after New Years.  Park hours were not late but it was relatively quiet.  So if we liked a ride we would ride it, get off, and get right back on without lines.  Rates were good too and I remember AAA had a nice discount for Park Admission.

Keith

• Like 2

Even after the World's Fair ended we were reminded of the Fair whenever we passed by the former grounds including for us visiting the old Shea Stadium.  Full disclosure.  Where I grew up you were either a Yankees or Mets fan and I did root for the Orioles against the Met of 1969.  With that said we did go to some Mets games as it was far easier to get there than to Yankee Stadium but have seen many more games at the old Yankees Stadium than the old Shea Stadium.

Keith

NYFLUunisphere1.jpg.bbec44a25a20cb76e1b15e90da2d6566.jpg

• Like 2

Well one more day at Disney before boarding Symphony five years ago tomorrow. Went to both parks.

DSC00486.thumb.jpeg.b0f9ed1df2b6e48b1c8cc5937eafcb60.jpeg

One thing about the tea cups. I enjoyed spinning them.

IMG_0128.thumb.jpeg.6c6bff9b6194549e824910914ee73c2e.jpeg

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.4bc149593de8c3f01400d69a3772bdaf.jpeg

We loved the Casey Junior Circus Train. Favorite spot was the back of the train.  Enjoyed Dumbo but remember the fatal accident when one of them came crashing down. Terrible. 

When last there in 2018 there was continued work in progress to make-over the park and I think there was some areas up front that they were taking down to build another hotel.  At least that is what they told us.

Keith

• Like 2

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2017 Crystal Symphony cruise from San Diego to New York.  On May 17 Symphony was at sea from Charleston to New York.

dusk0517.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

To me, a lot of does NC measure up to OC is up to us also.  Yes, the crew treated up superbly but we also treated them that way which is one reason they were great to us.  I didn't hear people say "hey -get me XX"  we talked to them by name and were exceptionally nice to them.  That made them want to treat us very well.   So as things go forward if we treat them as we used to I suspect they will treat us as they used to.

• Like 4