The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Boarded Symphony in San Pedro five year ago today for a wonderful Los Angeles to Vancouver cruise.

First time to experience open dining and the makeover of The Crystal Dining Room to Waterside and had an amazing time. Also first time in their Seabreeze equivalent to a PS and loved it including the combo washer/dryer.  As some know I do prefer this Seabreeze to the ones on Serenity.  Similarly, I preferred the Classic PH on Serenity to the Classic on on Symphony.

Keith

IMG_0178.thumb.jpeg.f6aee7bf02fd4de1bee3d4f1426328d6.jpeg

IMG_0183.thumb.jpeg.44ab23b00ea42727baf38a23bd8cb16a.jpeg

IMG_0171.thumb.jpeg.479f91964ff42bccf86e9b5649bd8210.jpeg

IMG_0183.thumb.jpeg.0d6d1f8aa861a0132e4364c211d50c12.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fancy britches said:

OMG. This!

Just so those not as familiar with OC understand, the washer/dryer combo is available on the Symphony ONLY in the 2018 remodel to what they called the Seabreeze Penthouse Suite. No washer/dryer on the Serenity remodel.

Patty

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from a 2013 Blount Cruise from New Orleans to Saint Petersburg.  I boarded on May 19 but woke earlier that morning on Amtrak's City of New Orleans:

dawn0519.jpg

On that trip I had planned a stopover in Peoria to catch Mark Farris' dad at his place but the connection did not work out.

Roy

• Like 5

When in Barcelona,Spain walk this way.

IMG_4806.thumb.jpeg.0f9bde25a35af05d41c19e4c76b72864.jpeg

Last time we were in Barcelona was four years ago today.

We have visited this city many times starting in 1997.

Something I learned 10+ years ago is this city also provides a great opportunity to pick up a Paddle Tennis Racquet for those who enjoy playing this game as I do when sailing Crystal. Selection is terrific and good pricing so on this visit I picked up another racquet; second time I've done this after touring around the city and surrounding area.

IMG_4808.thumb.jpeg.a4a755ae604002bf191ba5afd8a1f800.jpeg\\IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.4352f7eab12751a2db18873687e9c10b.jpeg\\IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.dd44fb8e6d44f25e4d63a978113c129b.jpeg

Keith

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

The massive Sierra snowmelt is in full swing along the Truckee River through downtown Reno, Nv. 

IMG_0303.mov

IMG_0314.jpeg

Feast or famine: water in the American west is a story older than the American west.  I'm just glad to see an agreement looms on the apportioning of the Colorado river.  This story gets covered back here and while it doesn't make much of a dent with the general public a lot of things that river feeds are impactful to keeping the whole economy running.

Side note: I find it interesting that Las Vegas, for all its PR campaigns valorizing excess, is a very responsible and forward thinking steward of its water resources. Seven-come-eleven and I'll take my Scotch neat, thank you very much.  I'm doing my part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eight years ago, we were anchored off  St. Tropez and enjoyed a visit.  

It was a fun day.  Oui Oui.  Not wee wee.  🤫

I did take French in Junior and Senior Hight School.  So I do know Oui Oui from wee wee.  🤣

I remember seeing many yachts as we made our way from Serenity to the Tender drop off area and several nice looking restaurants.  I'm still a traditionalist appreciating white table cloths and at table nicely set for a special meal.

DSC_3578.jpg.d396d32506c39004cd63d8276d863040.jpg

DSC_3564.jpg.39e916559cf607c5f14da013c35255e1.jpg

DSC_3559.jpg.83f8687f8899ed97716919ef9b495913.jpg

DSC_3553.jpg.c6634aa869fb5990c7dc78342953ee32.jpg

DSC_3526.jpg.f8afb300c8ceb4978e8627a4c7a3b7b8.jpg

Au revoir.

Keith 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure exactly what's happening but Serenity is backing out of the berth in Trieste.  Post update sea trials perhaps.

Roy

Apparently only turning around bow facing the dock rather than bow towards the sea.

Today's sunrise is another from my 2013 Blount cruise from New Orleans to Saint Petersburg.  On May 22 we left New Orleans for Biloxi.

dawn522a.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Eight years ago we attended the Monaco Grand Prix on a Crystal Excursion.  On a couple of prior visits, we had been in Monaco while they were setting up the bleachers for the event but this was the first time we were there for the actual race.  Special day and one we will always remember.

Keith

DSC_3642.jpeg

DSC_3587.jpeg

DSC_3649.jpeg

• Like 4

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my second cruise on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore.  May 24, 2012 was a sea day enroute from Newport back to Baltimore.

sunset1.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

Something got me thinking about my 2009 Baltics cruise aboard Symphony, so I pulled up these photos. AAAAHHHH the memories! I think this was my favorite cruise of all time. I did this cruise with my mother, who was absolutely gobsmacked that she actually got to stand in Red Square in Moscow. It was something she never thought was even in the realm of possibilities, given that she'd grown up with the Cold War, and her only exposure to Red Square had been in spy movies.

Mom is now 87 and on hospice. I'm so happy I got to give her the trip of a lifetime with this cruise, back when she was still able to travel.

First pic: Mom and our guide standing in Red Square.

Second pic: Mom at dinner on Formal Night, sitting between the two Gentleman Hosts (is that what they were called?) She'd been a widow for many years at this point, and she was thoroughly enjoying having two handsome gents showering her with attention!

Third pic: Me in the Connoisseur Club, enjoying the one and only cigar I have ever smoked in my life.

Fourth pic: the midnight sun while at sea. Not sure if this qualifies as a sunrise or sunset...this is as low as it got!

P1100284.jpg

P1080133.jpg

baltics2.jpg

P1080135.jpg

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Crystal called them Ambassador Hosts.

That's right! I almost posted that but I couldn't remember if that was what Crystal called them, or Regent. If I recall correctly, Regent called the "Distinguished Gentleman"...or something like that, but it's been many years since my last Regent cruise so I could be wrong.