My Passport Update

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But in the meantime, why should I bother with the hassle and extra cost if I don't need to?

Makes sense.  I've always gone to the BMV office to renew my DL so it's not really much additional effort to upgrade to a REAL ID version.  Never looked into whether renewing online is an option in Ohio.  The cost difference in OH is minimal.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:01 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Why are people concerned about getting a REAL ID DL?

Because they will be required to fly and enter any federal facility. 

btw: a “normal” DL renewal is a few key clicks and credit card number on a web site. My REAL ID took time away from work to wait nearly 2 hours in line. Along with hunting down some of the required documents. 

• Like 1

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Because they will be required to fly and enter any federal facility. 

btw: a “normal” DL renewal is a few key clicks and credit card number on a web site. My REAL ID took time away from work to wait nearly 2 hours in line. Along with hunting down some of the required documents. 

Sorry...wasn't clear on my question.  I understand the importance of getting a REAL ID version of my DL.  Some people however do NOT want to get a REAL ID version (Ohio calls them "standard" and "compliant"...not sure if that's just OH).  People waited in line with me at the BMV and renewed their DL to a new standard (non-REAL ID compliant) version.  This is what I don't get.  I just verified that Ohio does not do DL renewals online, so you must visit the BMV.

26 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

People waited in line with me at the BMV and renewed their DL to a new standard (non-REAL ID compliant) version.  This is what I don't get. 

If they already have a passport, or if they will never ever fly or enter a federal building, they would have no need for a REAL-ID compliant DL and could save a few bucks and the hassle of dealing with paperwork by getting the old kind renewed.

My daughter-in-law and son applied for a renewal of my teen granddaughter's passport in March and it still says it's processing.  The check was cashed within a couple of days of the application, but nothing at all since then.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, BirdTravels said:

MD was a state that issued 10’s of thousands of NOT-REAL ID driver’s licenses. They did not require the requisite documentation. Then said “hmmmm, I guess we were supposed to be doing document checks,,, guys give back those not-REAL ID cards”. There are still 10’s of thousands of fake REAL IDs in circulation. 

Not quite.

Yes, they did issue them.

Then when the figured it out, all those people got a drop dead date to come in with the documentation or have your license suspended.

AFAIK, most, if not all, of those send without the documentation have had the documentation presented by now.

The deadline was July 3, 2019

MDOT MVA has proactively contacted customers over a six-month period, with five notices in advance of their federal REAL ID enrollment date to remind them about presenting documents to satisfy federal REAL ID requirements, prior to sending a recall notice. The recall of a driver’s license will make the physical card invalid. Customers would still be licensed drivers, but if pulled over by law enforcement they would have their driver’s licenses confiscated. To remove the recall status from your license visit our REAL ID document guide to collect your required REAL ID documentation and make an appointment to be seen at an MDOT MVA branch as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

The passport card being a waste of money is YOUR OPINION.  

The cards do have limited uses, but those uses are very valid reasons for some people.  Just because it might be a waste of money FOR YOU doesn't mean that's the case for every person.

In my case, I live in Michigan and regularly travel to and through Canada (to get to New York state, either near Buffalo or Syracuse).   My passport book doesn't fit in my wallet, but my passport card does, and I can use the passport card to drive to/from Canada without having to bring my passport book.  

Ditto for entry into federal buildings or domestic flights -- I already have the passport card, and it fits easily in my wallet, and it saves me from having to carry my passport book (which requires me to carry an additional piece of baggage to carry the passport in, since it doesn't fit in my wallet).  

I chose to get a passport card when I got my passport because it was a convenient and cost-efficient option that fit my lifestyle.  Just because YOU don't have a need for it personally doesn't mean it's a waste of money for everyone else in the country.

It sounds like an Enhanced Driver's License would be even better for you.

Allows you to travel to Canada and back the US.  Allows you to fly.  Allows you to enter Federal buildings.

And it fits your wallet, and is also your DL, so not extra card to carry.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

If they already have a passport, or if they will never ever fly or enter a federal building, they would have no need for a REAL-ID compliant DL and could save a few bucks and the hassle of dealing with paperwork by getting the old kind renewed.

In MD, you have no real choice.  You either get a REAL ID compliant one, or one that means you are not a US citizen or permanent resident.

No extra cost in MD.  And documentation is a one time thing.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is what I don't get. 

Maybe they know the truth. That getting a real ID allows the government to control your mind through 5G cell phone towers*. Or they don’t have, or can’t find the necessary paperwork for a real ID. 

* information provided for entertainment purposes only; the poster does not necessarily endorse the notion that Real ID, 5G, etc. are part of any government plot, nor a means for Colonel Sanders to take over the world.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Maybe they know the truth. That getting a real ID allows the government to control your mind through 5G cell phone towers*. 

You are mistaken.  It's Bill Gates who will control your mind via the tiny chips that he is implanting in everyone who is vaccinated. 😜

10 hours ago, SRF said:

It sounds like an Enhanced Driver's License would be even better for you.

Allows you to travel to Canada and back the US.  Allows you to fly.  Allows you to enter Federal buildings.

And it fits your wallet, and is also your DL, so not extra card to carry.

Except I got my Passport Card back before Enhanced Driver Licenses were really a thing... and I already have it, so why should I bother with an Enhanced DL or a REAL-ID DL until the time comes when I actually have to go to the SoS office to get an in-person renewal of my existing non-enhanced, unreal-ID DL?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Except I got my Passport Card back before Enhanced Driver Licenses were really a thing... and I already have it, so why should I bother with an Enhanced DL or a REAL-ID DL until the time comes when I actually have to go to the SoS office to get an in-person renewal of my existing non-enhanced, unreal-ID DL?

True.

But once you have to go anyway, it would make sense to do the EDL.

56 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Check to Department of State hit my account today.  Four days!  I will be optimistic and think this is good news.  Katherine

Nice to be optimistic, but our checks cashed in 4 days as well. We are at 3.5 months and still "In Process".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Nice to be optimistic, but our checks cashed in 4 days as well. We are at 3.5 months and still "In Process".

Yep. My check cashed at the end of March, 3-4 days after they received my renewal as well. Website still says "In Process".

I mailed my passport renewal application on March 19th and received an email that it was accepted on March 23rd (and the check was cashed that date).

It was "In Process" until July 17th. Last night I received an email that my passport has been mailed (priority mail) and  I should receive delivery  by July 25th. 

Passport card update.  I see there has been discussion as to get or not to get a passport card — which I did apply for (see first post).  I just saw that my state — PA — is allowing mail in driver’s license renewal.  Usually we have to get a photo card by mail or online for license renewal every 4 years.  At this point, because of Covid, we can renew online and the DMV will use our old photos.  Since I am up for renewal this is a win for me.  Also, PA is not issuing real ID at this time.  So my decision to get the passport card has worked out well for me.  Hope all continues to go well for everyone and stay safe.  Katherine

• Like 2

2 hours ago, erber said:

I mailed my passport renewal application on March 19th and received an email that it was accepted on March 23rd (and the check was cashed that date).

It was "In Process" until July 17th. Last night I received an email that my passport has been mailed (priority mail) and  I should receive delivery  by July 25th. 

That’s good to hear . My Application has about same timings  so I should be hearing  soon also . . 

My daughter sent her passport in for renewal on March 19th or 20th. She finally received it on July 18th so things ARE moving again. She was supposed to need it for a rip to Europe 2 weeks ago but of course that was cancelled. good thing since the passport wouldn't have been back in time anyway. Of course, not that she has it she doesn't need it. LOL. She is very happy though just to know she has it when she needs it again.

I received my passport yesterday, quicker than the original estimate of July 25th. Every trip this year I had planned has either been cancelled by the cruise line,  I have cancelled, or I have lifted and shifted. Next up is April 2021for a short cruise on the Navigator. Now I am thinking that won't even happen. We shall see. After that we have a cruise for November 2021 on the Oasis. That might happen! Nevertheless, it is nice to have the passport for the future.