My Passport Update

FYI — went for my renewal today.  Post office guy said government is saying 6 to 8 weeks but he was skeptical that it would come that quickly.  I also got the passport card which he said is my “real ID” and I don’t have to bother with that now at my driver’s license renewal.  Sounds good to me.  So . . . Whenever we start sailing again I will be good for 10 years!  Katherine

Looks like they are not that much further behind than normal::

Are you making progress on U.S. passport applications?

Yes. Every Thursday, we will publish U.S. passport statistics in the table below so you can track our weekly progress as staff at our agencies and centers safely work on applications. You can find historical U.S. passport statistics on our Reports and Statistics page.

Week (Thursday-Wednesday) Applications Received Passports Awaiting Issuance Passports Issued
This Week (July 2-8) 112,000 1.43 million 188,000
Last Week (June 25-July 1) 133,000 1.51 million 236,000
2 Weeks Ago (June 18-24) 134,000 1.61 million 187,000

*The number of passports currently awaiting issuance is only a slight increase compared to what we have awaiting issuance in normal circumstances during July. Passports issued July 2-8 were lower this week than the previous weeks because of the July 4th federal holiday.

4 hours ago, Coralc said:

You can use your passport card for all the things that require Real ID.  I will still probably opt for Real ID next time my DL comes up for renewal. 

But you still need a DL, which will be a real ID.  Not sure why I would need to pay for the passport card.  Only good for Canada and Mexico i believe.  Yes, it will get you on a plane but so will a new DL.  Flying to/from Caribbean you still need passport.   That's my opinion for what it's worth. 

It doesn't need to be a Real ID to fly domestically if you have a passport card. Passport cards are inexpensive if you order it when you renew your passport. The card will also allow you entry into federal buildings without a Real ID driver's license. They are handy, waterproof and easy to fit into a small wallet to take ashore without carrying your full passport book. 

No one HAS to get one, we just enjoy the convenience of it for when we wish to carry it. Real ID licenses are being phased in here, so I will not apply for one until my DL expires in 3 or 5 years. I meantime, I have the passport card. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

It doesn't need to be a Real ID to fly domestically if you have a passport card. Passport cards are inexpensive if you order it when you renew your passport. The card will also allow you entry into federal buildings without a Real ID driver's license. They are handy, waterproof and easy to fit into a small wallet to take ashore without carrying your full passport book. 

No one HAS to get one, we just enjoy the convenience of it for when we wish to carry it. Real ID licenses are being phased in here, so I will not apply for one until my DL expires in 3 or 5 years. I meantime, I have the passport card. 

We use our passports to fly.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We have them with us :classic_rolleyes: And use whichever is convenient and easy to grab. The passport card to Florida, passports to Italy. :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

Whatever works!  Just wanted to make it clear the passport card has limited uses.  As for me, cooking too much.  I need a cruise!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

But you still need a DL, which will be a real ID.  Not sure why I would need to pay for the passport card.  Only good for Canada and Mexico i believe.  Yes, it will get you on a plane but so will a new DL.  Flying to/from Caribbean you still need passport.   That's my opinion for what it's worth. 

there’s no real need for the passport card. But it provides a backup id that is 100% accepted for about $5 /year. I’m happy with mine. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

FYI — went for my renewal today.  Post office guy said government is saying 6 to 8 weeks but he was skeptical that it would come that quickly.  I also got the passport card which he said is my “real ID” and I don’t have to bother with that now at my driver’s license renewal.  Sounds good to me.  So . . . Whenever we start sailing again I will be good for 10 years!  Katherine

The passport offices were closed for COVID and only recently restarted. They are probably over 6 months behind right now. So you'll get your passport and passport card (which is a waste of money) back next year. 

8 hours ago, njkruzer said:

To clarify: Passport Cards are only good for surface (land or water) border crossings. They will get you on a DOMESTIC plane flight; they will not get you on a flight to/from Canada or Mexico. 

11 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Not all states are requiring DL to be REAL ID.  And some are charging extra for it being REAL ID compliant.

So if you have a Passport Card, you might opt to not have your DL be REAL ID. 

I am in MD, and all US citizen DLs are being changed to REAL ID compliant.

I would prefer my DL be REAL ID, as I always carry it anyway.

59 minutes ago, SRF said:

I would prefer my DL be REAL ID, as I always carry it anyway.

Same.  I went one step further and got the enhanced DL offered by my state, before I got my passport, as it allows pretty much anything a passport card allows.  Now that I have a passport (actually have had it for 7 years now), I could drop the enhanced but since it doesn't cost much more and there's little extra effort to renew it (compared to all the documentation to get it initially) I just keep it.

It's funny - my state DL expires more often than a passport does.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I am in MD, and all US citizen DLs are being changed to REAL ID compliant. I would prefer my DL be REAL ID, as I always carry it anyway.

MD was a state that issued 10’s of thousands of NOT-REAL ID driver’s licenses. They did not require the requisite documentation. Then said “hmmmm, I guess we were supposed to be doing document checks,,, guys give back those not-REAL ID cards”. There are still 10’s of thousands of fake REAL IDs in circulation. 

I just had to renew my driver's license and upgraded to a REAL ID version.  It was no more difficult that renewing for a non-REAL ID version (which I still could have done).  I brought my old DL, my passport, and my W-2 to prove all of the things that needed proving.  The Ohio BMV web site, like I'm sure many state DMV/BMV web sites, has an online page to show what types of documents can be used.  I could have used a Social Security card, various bills, bank/credit card statements, birth certificates, etc., but the 3 that I brought met the need.

There was about a 30 minute long line at the BMV but that's the same whether renewing for REAL ID or not, and is the same whether dealing with Covid or not.  You could also "check in" online before arriving to reduce the wait.  The whole process was well managed.  Once I got to the front of the socially distanced/virtual line, it took about 10 minutes.  Check my eyes, present documents, sign a few things, pay ($29 total), get my picture taken, leave and wait for the new DL to show up in the mail.  The Ohio BMV, at least on that day, did NOT deserve the typical BMV reputation.

Why are people concerned about getting a REAL ID DL?

On 7/11/2020 at 9:01 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Why are people concerned about getting a REAL ID DL?

I don't think it's so much that people are "concerned" about getting one or not, versus not taking the time and money to get one if they don't need one.

For example, when my DL expires in a couple years, I can renew it online or by mail without having to go to the Michigan Secretary of State office (our version of the DMV).  Since I already have a passport card that will get me on a domestic flight or into a federal building (and I have a passport book for international flights), I don't have a need to make the trip to the SoS office with paperwork in hand and pay the additional fee to get a REAL-ID compliant DL.  

When the time comes (in six years) when I do have to make the trip to the SoS office to do an in-person renewal of my DL, then I can go ahead and take in the extra documentation with me to get the REAL-ID version of the DL and pay the additional fee, if I want to.  

But in the meantime, why should I bother with the hassle and extra cost if I don't need to?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:05 PM, BirdTravels said:

The passport offices were closed for COVID and only recently restarted. They are probably over 6 months behind right now. So you'll get your passport and passport card (which is a waste of money) back next year. 

The passport card being a waste of money is YOUR OPINION.  

The cards do have limited uses, but those uses are very valid reasons for some people.  Just because it might be a waste of money FOR YOU doesn't mean that's the case for every person.

In my case, I live in Michigan and regularly travel to and through Canada (to get to New York state, either near Buffalo or Syracuse).   My passport book doesn't fit in my wallet, but my passport card does, and I can use the passport card to drive to/from Canada without having to bring my passport book.  

Ditto for entry into federal buildings or domestic flights -- I already have the passport card, and it fits easily in my wallet, and it saves me from having to carry my passport book (which requires me to carry an additional piece of baggage to carry the passport in, since it doesn't fit in my wallet).  

I chose to get a passport card when I got my passport because it was a convenient and cost-efficient option that fit my lifestyle.  Just because YOU don't have a need for it personally doesn't mean it's a waste of money for everyone else in the country.

• Like 2