If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It

If there’s a vaccine, it won’t cost $4,000. Sheesh. But I do think this will open Pandora’s box a bit. My guess - and again, just a guess - is that cruising won’t go back to the way it was before. The medical clearances will be tougher than before. Or at a minimum, it will be the old requirements, but now taken seriously. 

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Seems misplaced that you would rather take the chance of getting Covid over some minor side effects of a vaccine. Probably for the best that cruises are not of importance to you. A vaccine will be the best chance for living normally including traveling again although what is normal will certainly be changed even with a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nothing misplaced about it. You can chose to have the vaccine and i can chose not to.

I don't mention anything you or anyone wanting to take it but you feel the need to say that i am taking a chance of getting covid.

I am not taking chances of getting covid. I am doing all that is mandatory with social distancing, wearing mask in shops and with my hygiene washing hands etc.

I do not take any other vaccines because I chose not to

The end

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

So in short you want others to provide your herd immunity.  Not because you have an underlying issue but just because you are selfish.  It would appear you also choose your families choices.

Em actually my family chose to do what they want not me. I am not selfish, i dont want others to provide MY herd immunity  and you absolutley know nothing about me.

I am actually finished with cruise critics now.

Ive actually had enough of what some people actually say on here.

I have always stated MY opinion  only and when I have replied to posts i dont crisitcise anyone elses opinion but it seems there are too many people just wanting to put people down so this is why am will not post anything again

31 minutes ago, fandash said:

Em actually my family chose to do what they want not me. I am not selfish, i dont want others to provide MY herd immunity  and you absolutley know nothing about me.

I am actually finished with cruise critics now.

Ive actually had enough of what some people actually say on here.

I have always stated MY opinion  only and when I have replied to posts i dont crisitcise anyone elses opinion but it seems there are too many people just wanting to put people down so this is why am will not post anything again

Your statements prove my  points not your own.

24 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Your statements prove my  points not your own.

There are some people who for medical reasons cannot have vaccines.   They rely on others to get them in order to provide the herd immunity for them.   The problem lies with people who could have the vaccine but choose not to.   They are putting those with underlying health issues at risk.   That to me is selfish.  As for your comments about being critised, this is a public forum for discussion.  Some discussons will involve disagreements.  Those may be about breakfast being better at table service compared to the WJ or which cabin is better.  You cannot expect just to put an opinion on a forum, particuarly one which is contentious to say the least and not get a response.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MNshortie21 said:

So what happens if you try to get the vaccine but are not able to or cannot afford to? Just because you can afford a cruise does not mean you could afford a $4K vaccine (hypothetical). 

Pretty sure the vaccine will be no charge. 

18 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Do you see the words United States anywhere in the posters comments? 

As per Medscape : The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths. [21] In the United States, individual cases of seasonal flu and flu-related deaths in adults are not reportable illnesses; consequently, mortality is estimated by using statistical models. [1]

https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza

So based on the actual wording of the poster's post and not your perceived interpretation, the poster is 100% accurate.

Fine, if you want to use world wide data.

As of July 17, 2020, 590,608 people have passed away from Covid-19.  Surpassed world wide influenza deaths (that includes countries that do not have substantial influenza vaccine programs like the western world)  in 5 months. 

Add to that, you are comparing one illness with one strain (Covid-19) to numerous strains of influenza.

No matter how you try to spin it. Covid is far more deadly than any single strain of influenza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, nelblu said:

2 part question:

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

On 7/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, time4u2go said:

1. I believe they will make it mandatory, at least for a while.

2.  I would definitely get the vaccine.

I also would get the Covid-19 vaccine before I go on another cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:52 PM, gatour said:

Do you receive medicare/medicade/VA benefits or will in the future?

I am always amused about people complaining about socialized gov't provided medical care.  Medicare/Medicade/VA is essentially that.

But when politicians talk about take about those type of programs, the people raise their arms.

How is providing covid vaccinations  for free different?

Medicare was earned by paying taxes. VA benefits were earned by serving in the military for at least 20 years or becoming injured while serving. Do you really not see the difference of that compared to handing something to someone simply because they were breathing??

On 7/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, mek said:

Nobody will have to lay out cash to receive the shot -  just like the "free" flue shots Kroger and other drug stores make available to everyone each year. 

So, have you ever had to pay taxes? Is that not "laying out cash" as you put it?

Completely different than Kroger. Kroger, as a promotion to get people in it's stores to buy it's overpriced products, paid to have flu shots for it's customers. It made this decision voluntarily. I, as a taxpayer, have to pay mandatory taxes, against my will, to cover "free" Covid shots for people that I don't know or couldn't care less about. Nope, not even a somewhat close comparison.

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

So, have you ever had to pay taxes? Is that not "laying out cash" as you put it?

Completely different than Kroger. Kroger, as a promotion to get people in it's stores to buy it's overpriced products, paid to have flu shots for it's customers. It made this decision voluntarily. I, as a taxpayer, have to pay mandatory taxes, against my will, to cover "free" Covid shots for people that I don't know or couldn't care less about. Nope, not even a somewhat close comparison.

Oh for heavens sake - nobody is saying that the tax payer isn't going to pay for it, I simply stated that when people go to get the shot they won't have to hand over cash or a credit card to pay for it and based on your attitude, I couldn't care less if you are unhappy about it.

Edited by mek

On 7/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, Charles4515 said:

Seems misplaced that you would rather take the chance of getting Covid over some minor side effects of a vaccine. Probably for the best that cruises are not of importance to you. A vaccine will be the best chance for living normally including traveling again although what is normal will certainly be changed even with a vaccine.

'Minor Side Effects' - Not necessarily.  If you read the side effects of most meds and vaccines, they all seem to have some major side effects, including up to and including death.  I for one have found over the years, i have developed issues with a number of medications that are now on my health charts, one of which landed me in the ER.  So, with that, even if there is a vaccine, I don't plan on getting it, at least not for some time to come.  I would need to see longer trials.  And even then will be nervous if I were to get it.  Unlike some meds, you can't 'stop taking' a vaccine if you have a reaction.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:13 PM, SECdawg said:

I think the cruise lines will make it mandatory at first. As a healthcare worker, it will probably mandatory for us like the flu vaccine is to maintain employment.

I to work for a healthcare company and yes, the flu vaccine is mandatory for employment, except for religious and health exclusions.   But, the flu vaccine has been out for decades and has long term validations.  I thankfully have not had any issues with the flu vaccine... yet.   IF a covid vaccine comes out and my company mandates it for employment, then, I would have to exclude myself for medical reasons (see above).  

In answer to the OP question. No I would not get the vaccine.

Erika

Edited by birdylady

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just print more. What happens when we run out of paper?  Coin shortage too. 

My son a banker tells me that there is a coin shortage because apparently the virus can live and be transmitted on coin. I guess paper isn't an issue.  Most are paying with cards or electronically via websites or apple, Samsung pay.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Doesn't the flu vaccine change every year?

My understanding is yes, but it's based on which strain they are predicting for the next year. A or B.  The actual vaccine is pretty much the same year after year depending that.

Erika

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My son a banker tells me that there is a coin shortage because apparently the virus can live and be transmitted on coin. I guess paper isn't an issue.  Most are paying with cards or electronically via websites or apple, Samsung pay.

Hmmm, interesting. I was told by a banker and based on some news articles is that they decreased employees at where coins are minted to the point, I think, of closing one of the locations.   And supposedly they will be reopening shortly (if not already done) and the shortage should slowly disappear.  At least I hope they are right.

Erika

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I heard it was because the “Mints” were shutdown for some time because of COVID19 but who knows. I thought paper money was a huge concern for COVID19 transfer?  But I guess the heat was supposed to kill it too. 

M8

On 7/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, nelblu said:

2 part question:

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

1.) yes they would have to - otherwise there would be outbreaks

2.) a rushed vaccine is kind of makes me nervous but I will receive it to do my small part for herd immunity.

25 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Transmits more through air per CDC, but of course you can get it from a contaminated surface if you aren't washing hands.  Wish I could dig up the CDC study on surfaces but it doesn't survive on surfaces nearly as long as they first thought. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also there were reports that as more people stayed home more, fewer coins made their way to coin machines and banks.  Wonder if I can get a premium for mine LOL 🤣

Also there were reports that as more people stayed home more, fewer coins made their way to coin machines and banks.  Wonder if I can get a premium for mine LOL [emoji1787]

I have had no need for coins for years. I charge every thing or use contactless Apple Pay even small purchases. I carry a few dollar bills for tips and the like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Also there were reports that as more people stayed home more, fewer coins made their way to coin machines and banks.  Wonder if I can get a premium for mine LOL 🤣

This Wisconsin bank is paying $5 for every $100 you bring in. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2020/07/17/milwaukee-area-bank-buy-coins-above-face-value-during-coin-shortage/5458324002/

4 minutes ago, jakeT said:

If they want to fill the ships. Vaccines has to be mandatory,  Nothing said you have a right to cruise.   If you want to cruise you have to play by there rules 

Unfortunately, probably a true statement ( i.e., No vaccine - No Cruising).